General Role-Playing Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shit, Final Fantasy Legends III was the bomb on the little green screen. I was playing that bitch back in high school when I was supposed to be doing homework. BUT I had the sound down and my walkman blasting out some tunes on cassettes that was worth listening to. Like Ace of Bass. Dude, I fucking saw the sign and it opened up my EYES!

[quote name='Krymner']Shit, Final Fantasy Legends III was the bomb on the little green screen. I was playing that bitch back in high school when I was supposed to be doing homework. BUT I had the sound down and my walkman blasting out some tunes on cassettes that was worth listening to. Like Ace of Bass. Dude, I fucking saw the sign and it opened up my EYES![/QUOTE]

Hehe Ace of Bass thats freakign great. I drove my dad nuts with that band when I was like 12/13ish! Anyways see though, you were happy! It didnt matter that you were moving tiny little images around on a green screen the game was good so you were happy. Gurantee most of the people bitching here did the same thing. But now because people are adults they have to fucking bitch about everything and if its not exactly 100% the way they want then it must be flawed and not worth it!

Its just human nature to want something better, dude. If humans hadn't wanted something better than the horse, then buying a new 2008 Mustang would mean something else completely.

I was happy watching Saved By The Bell and drinking grape Kool-Aid too. Doesn't mean I still want to watch whatever teeny-bop crap that's on Disney/Nickleodeon now. (But I'm still down for the grape Kool-Aid. OH-YEAH!)

We have matured. Our gaming tastes have matured.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Hehe Ace of Bass thats freakign great. I drove my dad nuts with that band when I was like 12/13ish! Anyways see though, you were happy! It didnt matter that you were moving tiny little images around on a green screen the game was good so you were happy. Gurantee most of the people bitching here did the same thing. But now because people are adults they have to fucking bitch about everything and if its not exactly 100% the way they want then it must be flawed and not worth it![/QUOTE]
Yeah, we may have been happy with that back in the day but it's 2008 now. I expect more from my games.

[quote name='Krymner']Its just human nature to want something better, dude. If humans hadn't wanted something better than the horse, then buying a new 2008 Mustang would mean something else completely.

I was happy watching Saved By The Bell and drinking grape Kool-Aid too. Doesn't mean I still want to watch whatever teeny-bop crap that's on Disney/Nickleodeon now. (But I'm still down for the grape Kool-Aid. OH-YEAH!)

We have matured. Our gaming tastes have matured.[/QUOTE]

Why is it that we blame human nature for silly things like this but not things like having sex with a young girl? Its in our nature to seek out young fertile woman thus men are usually attracted to a girl thats age 15/16 even though society says thats disgusting? So why not pardon that person after all its human nature? Look I understand that they are 2 extreames but its true. We try to pardon a lot of stupid stuff saying eh its human nature yet villianize other things that are also human nature. My point is that its not a good excuse to be stupid and illogical. Would I rather play a game on my PS2 then my DS? Hell yeah! And would I rather a game have the best graphics and music possible? Hell yeah! But that doesnt mean I am going to be so stupid and illogical as to brush of stuff hitting a hand held just because its screen is small, nor excuse that type of idiocy as human nature.

Yeah, we may have been happy with that back in the day but it's 2008 now. I expect more from my games.

Man you guys really do like to stretch words to the extreme. I am not saying that games should be like back then. As I said I would rather have a game with the best graphics and sound possible. But that doesnt mean that if someone makes a game that looks like shit I will brush it off. If that is the case ill miss amazing titles like N+. And again you guys are such hypocrits and unable to see it. When CT was announced everyone went nuts....and I have seen people including I believe you playing it. Yet all of a sudden OOOO I expect more from my games. *rolls his eyes* I am not saying things need to be old school, have crappy graphics or any extream like you make it want to seem. Just that a game can have shit graphics and be an extreamly good title.

*should have just left it at you guys forgot what it means to be a gamer and let the topic die*

What does CT have to do with this? That's an old game, not a new property. I don't expect more from games that came out over 10 years ago because THEY CAME OUT OVER TEN YEARS AGO.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']What does CT have to do with this? That's an old game, not a new property. I don't expect more from games that came out over 10 years ago because THEY CAME OUT OVER TEN YEARS AGO.[/QUOTE]

*shakes head*

Wow....just wow....

No, explain. Don't just shake your head. I want to know why I should expect current gen graphics from a game that came out 10 years ago. Actually, don't explain. For some reason you always derail these threads with nonsense arguments like this. It really doesn't matter.

Anyway, I still don't like Persona 4 as much as 3. Don't get me wrong, I like it but there's a number of ways it just feels like a step back. In fact the only thing I like more is the ability to control the whole party.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']No, explain. Don't just shake your head. I want to know why I should expect current gen graphics from a game that came out 10 years ago. Actually, don't explain. For some reason you always derail these threads with nonsense arguments like this. It really doesn't matter.

Anyway, I still don't like Persona 4 as much as 3. Don't get me wrong, I like it but there's a number of ways it just feels like a step back. In fact the only thing I like more is the ability to control the whole party.[/QUOTE]

People complain that the DS cant handle making a game with music and graphics that satisfy. CT was brought up because its a game that recently people went nuts over....yes it is an old game but it was played recently and judged by modern standards. People enjoyed it, people didnt bitch about graphics and sound but instead praised both despite the fact it didnt even push the DS's hardware. Given this it makes the point that the DS cant handle the games you want to play and that "you expect more" stupid things to say.

Consoles are starved for good RPGs (PS3 I'm looking at you), the DS isn't.

Funny thing is this is said all the time....and I think people arguing with me here have said it too....yet now they are arguing the DS cant make good enough RPGs.....this whole thing is just insane. Anyways *hugs rodimus for using his brain*

I understand the point you're trying to make Magus. Music and graphics are just part of what make an RPG good, and aren't totally necessary to enjoying the game. You seem to be stressing gameplay (and to a certain degree, story) over music and graphics, which I can understand. However, what makes an awesome RPG so...awesome, is that it has it all. Graphics, story, gameplay, and music combined together in one package.

Well, for me personally, I have yet to play an awesome original, non-remake DS RPG. My favorite original non-remake DS RPG so far is Etrian Odyssey. Its so shallow in story but it is all about the gameplay. The music was crappy, the story was practically non-existant, the artwork was pretty but there was barely any animation, BUT the gameplay was solid old-school dungeon crawling. However, Etrian Odyssey is a very niche RPG game.

I'm not saying "...the DS can't handle making a game with music and graphics that satisfy."

I am saying that nobody has made a DS RPG with music and graphics and gameplay that satisfy. Not with the whole package. At least in my opinion. I mean, I think its possible to make one, I do conceed to that. But I don't think anyone's made an original non-remake awesome RPG for the DS.

I had a lot of fun with The World Ends With You. The story made me sleepy, but the setting was a nice change. I've noticed that RPGs that stray away from the Sci-Fi/ Fantasy theme and focus more on a modern day setting tend to be more interesting. I guess they're easier to relate to.

[quote name='Krymner']I understand the point you're trying to make Magus. Music and graphics are just part of what make an RPG good, and aren't totally necessary to enjoying the game. You seem to be stressing gameplay (and to a certain degree, story) over music and graphics, which I can understand. However, what makes an awesome RPG so...awesome, is that it has it all. Graphics, story, gameplay, and music combined together in one package.

Well, for me personally, I have yet to play an awesome original, non-remake DS RPG. My favorite original non-remake DS RPG so far is Etrian Odyssey. Its so shallow in story but it is all about the gameplay. The music was crappy, the story was practically non-existant, the artwork was pretty but there was barely any animation, BUT the gameplay was solid old-school dungeon crawling. However, Etrian Odyssey is a very niche RPG game.

I'm not saying "...the DS can't handle making a game with music and graphics that satisfy."

I am saying that nobody has made a DS RPG with music and graphics and gameplay that satisfy. Not with the whole package. At least in my opinion. I mean, I think its possible to make one, I do conceed to that. But I don't think anyone's made an original non-remake awesome RPG for the DS.[/quote]

Final Fantasy Tactics A-2 was decent at best,
Still a farcry from FFT though.

Its probably the best non-remake DS RPG.

Oh yeah, FFTA2 was wasn't bad. I put about 10-15 hours into it, then lost interest tho when FF IV and DQ IV came out. I'll go back to it eventually.

And I haven't played more than about 20 minutes of TWEWY, but didn't much care for it because of the stylus combat. I might pick it up someday if I see it real cheap and give it another try.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Anyway, I still don't like Persona 4 as much as 3. Don't get me wrong, I like it but there's a number of ways it just feels like a step back. In fact the only thing I like more is the ability to control the whole party.[/quote]
Yeah, I can agree with you on that. P4 has done a number of things better then 3 did. But there are a few things that feel like a step back. The only thing that really bothers me is they only let you visit a dungeon during the day. I would have liked it if they let the player decide what time of day they wanted to visit a dungeon.

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']Yeah, I can agree with you on that. P4 has done a number of things better then 3 did. But there are a few things that feel like a step back. The only thing that really bothers me is they only let you visit a dungeon during the day. I would have liked it if they let the player decide what time of day they wanted to visit a dungeon.[/quote]

Persona 4 is better then 3 in every way possible.
All of the characters are more interesting.
No more Fuuka.

And the people who bitch about dungeons are doing it wrong.
You can finish the entire dungeon in a day. Its not hard, you finish in a day and then you are allowed to have like a month+ of time to do whatever you want.

Persona 4 fixes all of 3 problems, and adds better music.

You're quoting the wrong guy. I never said it it wasn't better then P3. But I'm saying that I feel some parts in P4 feel like a stepback.

I never said I had a problem with the dungeons. I just said I hate the fact I'm forced to give up my after school hours in the game to grind(Unlike 3 where you went in at night which really didn't bug me). And it's nice that you can finish a dungeon in one day. However I like to pace myself and take breaks from the mindless grinding in the game and work on my Slinks or something.

And I never had a problem with P3's music. Most of the time I was grinding I was listing to podcasts or music on my Zune. I do the same with 4 as well.

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']You're quoting the wrong guy. I never said it it wasn't better then P3. But I'm saying that I feel some parts in P4 feel like a stepback.

I never said I had a problem with the dungeons. I just said I hate the fact I'm forced to give up my after school hours in the game to grind(Unlike 3 where you went in at night which really didn't bug me). And it's nice that you can finish a dungeon in one day. However I like to pace myself and take breaks from the mindless grinding in the game and work on my Slinks or something.

And I never had a problem with P3's music. Most of the time I was grinding I was listing to podcasts or music on my Zune. I do the same with 4 as well.[/quote]
When you take breaks, it gives you less time to work on SLinks.
Its not hours worth of grinding.
It took me 2 hours to finish the 4th Dungeon.
This game is really easy if you know what you are doing.

Dungeon crawling during the day seemed like a a step back at first, but I quickly realized it's not a big deal at all. The dungeons are much shorter and I feel like the characters level fairly fast. I haven't had to grind at all yet. I go through a dungeon twice, once for the story and a second for all the optional side quests & boss.

So which of the current gen consoles has the best RPGs at this point? I'd say it's the DS, the PSP, and the 360 running at the front of the pack.

[quote name='depascal22']So which of the current gen consoles has the best RPGs at this point? I'd say it's the DS, the PSP, and the 360 running at the front of the pack.[/QUOTE]

DS easily. After that PSP and 360 and then the Wii with the PS3 lagging furthest behind. The 360 has quite a few good Western RPGs and is slowly getting Japanese support. And the the Wii has Super paper Mario, Fire Emblem and ToS2 but all I can think of for PS3 thats exclusive is Disgaea 3......

I should've said software for the console. You could also say the Wii is doing well because people can still go back and play the original Tales of Symphonia or the Skies of Arcadia port.

[quote name='Krymner']DS is a great system, don't get me wrong. I love my DS Phat. I love playing RPGs that are suited for the system (as long as they don't have crappy stylus controls...I'm looking at you, TWEWY).[/QUOTE]
!
I thought the in-battle stylus controls in TWEWY were just about perfect.

I really wish more developers were smart enough to make 2D games on DS. 2D looks great on DS, 3D does not.

In P4, I can finish an entire dungeon in a day, but it isn't any fun. Having to spend big blocks of yen on recovering SP means I can't buy any equipment. I'd much prefer to spread out my crawling a bit instead of having to do it in one big lump.

[quote name='Chacrana']Glad it was true. I wonder which one they'll bring over... hmm...

Good to know the ol' PS2 still has some life in it.[/QUOTE]

It is suppose to be Sakura Taisen V

[quote name='62t']It is suppose to be Sakura Taisen V[/QUOTE]

That's what the RPGamer interview hinted at, but this Silconera article says "at least one," which has me wondering if they might start with the remake or whatever it was of the original.

[quote name='Chacrana']That's what the RPGamer interview hinted at, but this Silconera article says "at least one," which has me wondering if they might start with the remake or whatever it was of the original.[/QUOTE]

Well the remake of the original Sakura Taisen is going to be six years old next year, which might be dated. Plus Sakura Taisen V has a new main character so it isnt a bad place to start. The at least one comment could refer to action Sakura Taisen spin off, PSP version of 1 and 2, or the DS verison.

[quote name='62t']Well the remake of the original Sakura Taisen is going to be six years old next year, which might be dated. Plus Sakura Taisen V has a new main character so it isnt a bad place to start. The at least one comment could refer to action Sakura Taisen spin off, PSP version of 1 and 2, or the DS verison.[/QUOTE]

How cool would it be though if they did like a Sakura Taisen collection. Release several of the games, toss in some goodies then release it in a collectors box for $80-$100.

Edit - On the not so positive side Capcom is openly stating the chance of seeing another Breath of Fire game is really low.

http://kotaku.com/5115773/capcom-has-no-plans-to-bring-back-breath-of-fire

I understand the point that they dont have RPG development teams on the level of Square or Namco.....but come on your telling me you dont have teams big enough to pull of a 2D BoF released to the DS or XBLA?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='MSI Magus']How cool would it be though if they did like a Sakura Taisen collection. Release several of the games, toss in some goodies then release it in a collectors box for $80-$100.

Edit - On the not so positive side Capcom is openly stating the chance of seeing another Breath of Fire game is really low.

http://kotaku.com/5115773/capcom-has-no-plans-to-bring-back-breath-of-fire

I understand the point that they dont have RPG development teams on the level of Square or Namco.....but come on your telling me you dont have teams big enough to pull of a 2D BoF released to the DS or XBLA?[/QUOTE]

Well on PS2 they only released the remake of the original Sakura Taisen, ST 3, and 5, which would make a weird collection. Plus it is pretty risky to invest so much on a niche gene. It is better to release V first to see the sales first, than consider releasing the spinoff to ST5, the PSP ST which includes ST1+2, or the DS Sakura Taisen.

Suikoden Now Available for PLAYSTATION® Network

What:

Konami's epic RPG Suikoden makes its way onto PLAYSTATION®Network today as the flagship title is now available for download for $5.99. In Suikoden, players enter an ancient world of bravery, mysticism and romance as they embark on a quest to discover their true destinies.

With the future of the Scarlet Moon Empire at stake, players seek out the Stars of Destiny to aid them in overthrowing the corrupt government. The head of the Liberation Army, players can also gather up to 108 companions to join them in battles as they call the shots in large-scale warfare. Suikoden offers variation in combat with the ability to battle groups of enemies with a team of six characters, defeat foes in one-on-one duels, or control the battlefield during major conflicts as the Liberation army wages war.

Definitely cool to see some good games finally hitting the PS1 section of the store. Between this and Castlevania Chronicles, there's actually a reason to give Sony money again.

[quote name='Rodimus']Suikoden for $6! That's pretty sweet. I must've beaten that game like 5 or 6 times.[/QUOTE]

No exaggeration, I wouldn't be surprised if I have beaten that game 20 times or more.

That's a great point. How does the PSP or PS3 recognize that you've gotten all 108 stars on the first one? Maybe Suikoden II will never see the light of day.

Only play Devil Summoner if you're a die hard SMT fan. Otherwise it's a pass. In battles Raidou only has a handful of moves. They get boring quick and and for the most part unstrategic. You'll find yourself mashing attack most of the game. Like always the setting and story is unique and pretty good. The fusion works pretty much the same. It's not a horrible game, it's just meh. My rating would be 7/10

I just wish Raidou had more moves.

Suikoden... the only game I want on PSN is POLICENAUTS!!

that aside... u kno Phantasy Star IV is on virtual console yesterday??

Phantasy Star I-IV will all hold a special place in my 2009 old skool backlog lol

[quote name='JEKKI']Suikoden... the only game I want on PSN is POLICENAUTS!!

that aside... u kno Phantasy Star IV is on virtual console yesterday??

Phantasy Star I-IV will all hold a special place in my 2009 old skool backlog lol[/quote]

PSIV is out?

Looks like I gotta fire up my wii...
Damn.

[quote name='Chacrana']I seriously doubt that the Last Remnant is awesome, let alone fuck-awesome, but I do agree that Policenauts needs to hit the US.[/quote]

Its the best Square console RPG this generation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back