GFW Daily Deals 12/2 -12/7 (FINAL DEAL: Max Payne 2 $1)

CrossFireXT17

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
cboxmaxpayne2.jpg

DAY 6 DEAL (Final Day): Max Payne 2

"Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne is a violent, film-noir love story. Dark, tragic and intense, the in-depth story is a thrill-ride of shocking twists and revelations. Love hurts. Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne delivers the most intense gameplay experience imaginable. The fierce, yet stylish action sequences and slow-motion gunplay that has become synonymous with Max Payne is back and better than ever. New and enhanced moves and options provide breathtaking cinematic game play"

http://www.gamesforwindows.com/en-US/Games/Max-Payne-2/
:bouncy:

No Achievements for this one! :cry:

Note: Max Payne 2 is THE FINAL deal in this series of Daily Deals. There will be no "Daily Deal" on December 8th!

Previous Deals:
Day 1: Deus Ex for $0.99 (discussed until post #53)
Day 2: Shadowrun for $0.99 (discussed until post #97)
Day 3: Viva Pinata for $0.99
Day 4: Blacklight Tango Down for $0.99
Day 5: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='gcorlett']Very poorly. This game is almost unplayable in 2010.

I'm sorry if I sound like I'm hating on this game. I don't mean to tread on toes. I'm sure that many people have great memories of playing this game. I personally was a big fan of Ion Storm; I played the Thief games but somehow never got around to Deus Ex.

When I finally bit on this game during a Steam sale last year, I was brutally reminded how much has changed in computer gaming in 10 years. It's ugly, the interface is confusing. I played for about 3-4 hours and found it more work than entertainment. The story line and game play are not the least bit immersive, by modern standards.

I put it away, but tried again 6 months later. I tried it on "easy" difficulty this time, thinking that I'd maybe enjoy the story and the "solve it your way" aspect of the game I wasn't dying constantly because of interface issues. It didn't help. The game made me bored and angry.

You know, I had the same experience with SiN, although my expectations were lower.

For the record, I am an old-school PC gamer, 41. Not some kid trying to slum through the back catalogs. I grew up on Zork, man. I lived through years of terrible graphics and poor interfaces. But there are many games from the 90s that I find are still playable: Half-Life, Thief 1/2, Quake 2, Baldur's Gate, Grim Fandango. This, unfortunately, isn't one of them.

It is, however, an important milestone in PC gaming. Non-linear FPS gameplay was new, and stealth gameplay was in it's infancy. If you can enjoy it for anything, enjoy it for it's historical importance. There would be no Bioshock today without Deus Ex in 2000.[/QUOTE]

I respect your opinion, but I completely disagree that it doesn't hold up today.

I also disagree that there would be no Bioshock without Dues Ex. System Shock 2 predates Deus Ex. You have some great taste in older games though. :D

i got in on the steam for $2.50 :(

Well, at least i don't need the very minute amount of hassle from GFWL... and just a side note, if you're really cheap, and you get points at least at $1 per 100 points, this game is 80 cents. :O

I dont really think I'm going to enjoy this very much but for the dollar price and the great praise you guys are giving it I cant pass. Also, the DL is tiny, only .43Gb!

Edit: For those of you wondering this is what is says in the terms and conditions:

The following restrictions shall apply to your license:
- you will not use this product on more than one computer or terminal at any one time

Last edited by a moderator:
wow, glad to see the $1 trend starting now :D keep this up GFWM, give everyone else a run for their money..I haven't seen a $1 Steam game in a while..

[quote name='mr_bungle']Can I just buy this for 99 cents or do I have to use 80 MSP?[/QUOTE]
Both are fine.

[quote name='eikys']Looks like shadow run is next, it's up at $.99 now[/QUOTE]
Nice. I think I might have to get it at that price.

I've looked at Shadowrun in the past. How big is the community currently though? Even if it's 99 cents, with a lack of single player I don't want to spend a dollar for a dead game.

Playing any decade-old game will be an exercise in eye-shredding pain compared to modern games. I remember loading up the original Half-Life a few years back with thoughts of replaying my favorite game of all time, but I only made it to the great moment where you press the elevator button, bringing the screaming car plummeting down the shaft (that's what she said!), before packing it in. You can't go home again.

I remember liking Deus Ex a lot, especially the multiple endings; I took care to have a save point that I could reload to head down the other story forks in the road. The level of detail in small stuff like being able to play pool on the table in the bar was cute. There was a bug which allowed implants to run forever w/o sapping batteries if you switched them on via the menu instead of hot keys which made sneaking around hella easy.

However, it made a huge mistake that many games do in switching to 3rd person for cut scenes rather than sticking to 1st person like in Half-Life games or Call of Duty where you never stop seeing thru your character's eyes. The voice acting for Denton was awful and the flailing animation didn't help. When you had to commit to mod choices - e.g. do you want to be able to jump farther and run faster or be permanently stealthy with the leg mod? - it was before you knew what was ahead or what your playing style would ultimately be, so it was possible to gimp your character early on. There was also a story point which broke the covenant the game had made for the first half which said you could play it how you wanted to by forcing you to kill someone and ending up in the next scene regardless of what you want. Unlike Bioshock which handled that sort of thing with a 1st-person view cut scene, Deus Ex makes you play it out even though who have no choice in what to do. They should've just done a cut scene instead of breaking format.

Still, for a buck, it's a must get for those looking for some old-school action or those with older PCs that can't hack Crysis and later eye candy over gameplay and story games. You can't get a soft drink for a buck, so why not?

No go on an Onine Only game... even for 99 cents!

Cmon MS lets see Gears of War for $5, and RE5 discounted.

There isnt enough games on GFW that its the same games every time!
Bet Dirt 2 will be coming up soon!

Not to sure how big the Shadowrun community is not been on it for months but was still getting some games and you can play with Bots so if not in it for achievements should still pick up.

For the price I could not pass it up! I own it on 360 already but since it's a cross-platform game can play with some buddies on my PC with them instead of having to do so on my 360.

I would like to see RE5 Discounted or any game I don't own that has achievements :)

[quote name='bubo']I've looked at Shadowrun in the past. How big is the community currently though? Even if it's 99 cents, with a lack of single player I don't want to spend a dollar for a dead game.[/QUOTE]

From what I've read, the community is still active, though the ones hanging around will pummel you since they know all the tricks. I played this a while back on 360 and loved it, so it's a no-brainer for me. Also remember that you play on the same servers as the 360 players, so that should help with finding games.

Very excited to get Deus Ex for a dollar as I just got Invisible War yesterday for the Xbox. I lost my old copy of Deus Ex and have been wanting to play through these again before Human Revolution comes out.

[quote name='ricka']It says 1600 points when I look at my cart, is that normal?[/QUOTE]

for which deal? Dues EX deal has expired... it's now the Shadow Run deal... if it's showing up at 1600 in your cart for Shadow Run, no that's not normal.. try again in a few minutes

Hope I can convince my friends to pick Shadowrun up. I purchased it myself for dirt cheap from gogamer awhile back and only played a bit against bots. It was certainly entertaining and I can see the potential for some intense action. If only there was a way to gift games like you can through Steam =/... they can be pretty stubborn when it comes to trying something new no matter the price.

[quote name='EarthBoundX5']Um, I don't think this is a GFWL, so ya may wanna edit the title not ton confuse people.[/QUOTE]

Its is GFWL it & Halo 2 were actually the very first games for windows live games. They both had install limits and GFWL key limits.

[quote name='z3razerviper']Its is GFWL it & Halo 2 were actually the very first games for windows live games. They both had install limits and GFWL key limits.[/QUOTE]

dude, that was in response to Deus Ex. But ya, this game [Shadowrun] this time around is actually GFWL, not GFW.

New day, new deal! Today, grab Shadowrun for just 80 Microsoft Points ($0.99), that's 95% off the regular price!

On top of that, Shadowrun is a crossplatform LIVE title! You can play against your Xbox LIVE friends as well as Games for Windows LIVE people! Game on!

[quote name='z3razerviper']Its is GFWL it & Halo 2 were actually the very first games for windows live games. They both had install limits and GFWL key limits.[/QUOTE]

I think some of us are just saying that while the old moniker may exist on printed material, the LIVE portion has practically been stripped from the client and the website, replaced with what appears to be Games for Windows (as in the domain too) or Games for Windows Marketplace. It just seems like a rebranding..

I'm so in for this Shadowrun even though I won't be able to run it. I'm sure they keep track of this stuff, so if they see that .99 cents = $$$ for old shit they got sitting on a server, the more cheap ass deals we'll get.

LOL. I read this thread and thought all the "this game's a classic" stuff was referring to Shadowrun but just figured out with was for Deus Ex.

Yeah, Shadowrun should have been 1$ to begin with. Even then it's a bit overpriced since if you own pretty much any other multiplayer shooter you will never play it.

[quote name='AionTelos']Good stuff right here, how long are these days of .99c gonna lat anyways?[/QUOTE]

Not sure... last one ran until Sunday... so maybe then?

I was confused by the title switch, too. I'm like, "No, Shadowrun is not a classic? Wut?" And those that were like, "I JUST GOT THIS FOR $2.50 ON STEAM!" and I'm like, "Eh?" I figured it out though.

A multiplayer game with no one playing it, cross-platform or not, is not really worth a $1 imo.

MS, where's Gears of War? Where's Fable?

Embarrassed to say I paid $40 for this near launch. It's worth a dollar, but not much more... and this will probably get a few people back playing online. Here's hoping we get Fable TLC for ~$5!

I got Shadowrun on 360 already. It's a pretty good game, and still quite active.

At this price, it's a no-brainer, you MUST get it.

If Gears of War is the next deal for 99 cents, I won't complain, Fable Lost Chapters for 99 cents wouldn't be a bad one either.

Also, LOL at microsoft showing the Xbox 360 coverart for this deal, how funny, although I believe it is a cross platform title.

[quote name='loomis1975']If Gears of War is the next deal for 99 cents, I won't complain, Fable Lost Chapters for 99 cents wouldn't be a bad one either.

Also, LOL at microsoft showing the Xbox 360 coverart for this deal, how funny, although I believe it is a cross platform title.[/QUOTE]

It literally says XBL and GFWL on the box

And hell yeah I'll buy this at $1.

For 99 cents, even if I only get a few hours out of it, it's a good deal. Like everyone else, I hope that Gears Of War and Fable are coming soon! But then again, the Deus Ex deal shows that other publishers are on board (at least Sqeenix) and there might be other classics coming up.

Just be warned, that the recent XBL update that changed the mics to a new higher frequency (audio codec) has caused Shadowrun PC players to no longer be able to communicate with console gamers. Console players hear static from PC players and PC players can not hear anything. Sometimes the 360 players (vast majority of the SR population online) kick PC players when they don't understand the problem. As an owner of both console and PC versions, I have witnessed this a few times in the last few weeks.

Though the SR community is small it still has a fairly large following on PC. Shadowrun has been a team based game and the mic has been a crucial part of the game. To date MS has refused to comment on the situation other then it is up to the developer of the game to choose to update the games to meet the new XBL mic standards. FASA (the makers) have not been in business for well over 2 years now, so an update seems highly unlikely.

Xbox and GFWL forum threads on the problem:
http://forums.xbox.com/35097877/ShowPost.aspx
http://forums.xbox.com/35030224/ShowPost.aspx
http://forums.gamesforwindows.com/t/15738.aspx

Even though I doubt I'll ever play this, I find it hard to turn down a $0.99 game because I'm a packrat. I guess I can stay at work an extra 2 minutes and 7 seconds to pay for it, then I won't feel bad.

bread's done
Back