GFW Daily Deals 12/2 -12/7 (FINAL DEAL: Max Payne 2 $1)

CrossFireXT17

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
cboxmaxpayne2.jpg

DAY 6 DEAL (Final Day): Max Payne 2

"Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne is a violent, film-noir love story. Dark, tragic and intense, the in-depth story is a thrill-ride of shocking twists and revelations. Love hurts. Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne delivers the most intense gameplay experience imaginable. The fierce, yet stylish action sequences and slow-motion gunplay that has become synonymous with Max Payne is back and better than ever. New and enhanced moves and options provide breathtaking cinematic game play"

http://www.gamesforwindows.com/en-US/Games/Max-Payne-2/
:bouncy:

No Achievements for this one! :cry:

Note: Max Payne 2 is THE FINAL deal in this series of Daily Deals. There will be no "Daily Deal" on December 8th!

Previous Deals:
Day 1: Deus Ex for $0.99 (discussed until post #53)
Day 2: Shadowrun for $0.99 (discussed until post #97)
Day 3: Viva Pinata for $0.99
Day 4: Blacklight Tango Down for $0.99
Day 5: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='horns456']Just be warned, that the recent XBL update that changed the mics to a new higher frequency (audio codec) has caused Shadowrun PC players to no longer be able to communicate with console gamers. Console players hear static from PC players and PC players can not hear anything. Sometimes the 360 players (vast majority of the SR population online) kick PC players when they don't understand the problem. As an owner of both console and PC versions, I have witnessed this a few times in the last few weeks.

Though the SR community is small it still has a fairly large following on PC. Shadowrun has been a team based game and the mic has been a crucial part of the game. To date MS has refused to comment on the situation other then it is up to the developer of the game to choose to update the games to meet the new XBL mic standards. FASA (the makers) have not been in business for well over 2 years now, so an update seems highly unlikely.

Xbox and GFWL forum threads on the problem:
http://forums.xbox.com/35097877/ShowPost.aspx
http://forums.xbox.com/35030224/ShowPost.aspx
http://forums.gamesforwindows.com/t/15738.aspx[/QUOTE]

Wow. Of course, MS probably doesn't have the will or the team that originally designed Shadowrun, so they lack the easy capability to update the game to support the updated communication codecs. I hadn't even thought of that. I suppose that impacts any of the (...2?) games that enabled cross-platform play.

[quote name='HisDivineShadow']Wow. Of course, MS probably doesn't have the will or the team that originally designed Shadowrun, so they lack the easy capability to update the game to support the updated communication codecs. I hadn't even thought of that. I suppose that impacts any of the (...2?) games that enabled cross-platform play.[/QUOTE]

I wish I had read this before I bought the game. This is a serious issue. It turns off voice chat completely in game. :( Well it's only a dollar....

Dayum... they are really trying to compete with Steam!

Nice! To be honest, I would prefer all my PC games on Games for Windows Live instead of Steam, just because the Live integration.

It sucks. MS could update the GFW PC interface to fix this I think, but they are pushing the burden out to the devs to do all the work instead. It's hurt a lot of the community as small as it was.

Sucks for achievement [strike]whores[/strike] people too because a few of them are linked to PC players. PC players are getting the boot left and right because their mics are uncontrollably screeching so killing a 100 PC gamers and/or rezzing them (cross platform achievements) will be a challenge.

[quote name='horns456']It sucks. MS could update the GFW PC interface to fix this I think, but they are pushing the burden out to the devs to do all the work instead. It's hurt a lot of the community as small as it was.

Sucks for achievement [strike]whores[/strike] people too because a few of them are linked to PC players. PC players are getting the boot left and right because their mics are uncontrollably screeching so killing a 100 PC gamers and/or rezzing them (cross platform achievements) will be a challenge.[/QUOTE]

So what about using the official 360 wireless headset on PC through the usb receiver?

[quote name='MPoWeRM3']So what about using the official 360 wireless headset on PC through the usb receiver?[/QUOTE]

Nothing works on PC (for Shadowrun and Lost Planet) to allow you to communicate with console gamers. Each platform currently uses a different codec to communicate so they are not compatible.

It would be like trying to use a CB radio to call a cell phone. Both signals go out, but neither receives the other.

PC to PC communication is fine in all other GFW games because everyone is using the same codec. Shadowrun and Lost Planet are the only two cross platform games I know of. I haven't been following Lost Planet so not sure how bad it is, but SR is messed up on PC right now.

Can't buy this if your under 18. Tried going on my kids accounts so we can play multiplayer and it won't let me buy it. Doh!!

I always thought ShandowRun was good on the 360, definitely had some unique elements that broke up the standard run and gun. Thanks OP, bought for $0.99.

[quote name='Fernando Rocker']Dayum... they are really trying to compete with Steam!

Nice! To be honest, I would prefer all my PC games on Games for Windows Live instead of Steam, just because the Live integration.[/QUOTE]

I guess it's good to have both. Competition = cheaper prices. I bought Dirt 2 on Steam few days ago and even though I launch the game through Steam client, it automatically connects me to GFWL so it's really no big dfference. I guess the only bad thing is you get two sets of achievements, one for each service.

Even with the mic problems, for .99 cents Im in. Every-time I see a cheap copy I get a little urge to rebuy it, but I know I would hardly ever take the time to pop it into my 360.

[quote name='horns456']Nothing works on PC (for Shadowrun and Lost Planet) to allow you to communicate with console gamers. Each platform currently uses a different codec to communicate so they are not compatible.

It would be like trying to use a CB radio to call a cell phone. Both signals go out, but neither receives the other.

PC to PC communication is fine in all other GFW games because everyone is using the same codec. Shadowrun and Lost Planet are the only two cross platform games I know of. I haven't been following Lost Planet so not sure how bad it is, but SR is messed up on PC right now.[/QUOTE]

So when you do a matchmaking or whatever it's called on the PC version, can you tell which ones are console player and which ones are PC players? If you can, then I guess we'll just have to pick the PC players to play with.

Even at .99 cents, this is still hard to justify. Its about a 3-4 year old multi-player only class based shooter in a world that ha since seen TF2 and BF:BC2. It would be like making a donation for me.

[quote name='MPoWeRM3']So when you do a matchmaking or whatever it's called on the PC version, can you tell which ones are console player and which ones are PC players? If you can, then I guess we'll just have to pick the PC players to play with.[/QUOTE]

Matchmaking in SR is like Halo. You hit search and it throws you into the best match possible. PC and console players appear the same, unless you hit the guide button and look at the recent players list. There is a PC symbol next to their name if they are on the PC.

You can't find an all PC match through matchmaking. There are custom game options, but finding people on PC at that time isn't easily done through the game, maybe through a forum would be best.

The game mixes up both platforms well and you can't normally tell who is on what platform (except for the mic noise now). Just to give you an idea of the PC population there is an achievement to kill anyone on the other platform a 100 times. I played the console version for a very long time and bought the PC version recently. Well that kill 100 PC players achievement took me two years on 360. Seriously, the PC community makes up a very small percentage of the games total players.

[quote name='horns456']Matchmaking in SR is like Halo. You hit search and it throws you into the best match possible. PC and console players appear the same, unless you hit the guide button and look at the recent players list. There is a PC symbol next to their name if they are on the PC.

You can't find an all PC match through matchmaking. There are custom game options, but finding people on PC at that time isn't easily done through the game, maybe through a forum would be best.

The game mixes up both platforms well and you can't normally tell who is on what platform (except for the mic noise now). Just to give you an idea of the PC population there is an achievement to kill anyone on the other platform a 100 times. I played the console version for a very long time and bought the PC version recently. Well that kill 100 PC players achievement took me two years on 360. Seriously, the PC community makes up a very small percentage of the games total players.[/QUOTE]

With this sale, there will be more PC players and 360 players can get that achievment much faster and easier due to noob PC players like myself. :D

Bought the game for .99 Installed and tried to play but nothing starts. I am running Win7 64 bit. Anyone else get this to work? Oh well

So, is it true there is no way to get this to run on Windows XP? I read about tweaks people were doing, but those had been squashed by updates. I'm running Vista myself, but a friend of mine is still running XP *and he'll consider purchasing it if there's the slightest chance he could run it.

*EDIT to rephrase the last part*

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Crazyhowie']So, is it true there is no way to get this to run on Windows XP? I read about tweaks people were doing, but those had been squashed by updates. I'm running Vista myself, but a friend of mine is still running XP *and he'll consider purchasing it if there's the slightest chance he could run it.

*EDIT to rephrase the last part*[/QUOTE]

No chance to run it on XP. The hacked versions of SR get banned from XBL.

[quote name='Yanksfan']Can you get achievements on the PC version?[/QUOTE]

They share the same achievements. Most are easier to get on PC.

Can you burn games you download from the gfwl marketplace onto a disc? It would be nice to be able to keep backups and avoid having to download when you reinstall.

Last couple of hours to grab the game for under a dollar!

@Fallen3 to the best of my knowledge, that's not possible YET... although I'm sure is coming in the next update.

[quote name='pROvIs']Even at .99 cents, this is still hard to justify. Its about a 3-4 year old multi-player only class based shooter in a world that ha since seen TF2 and BF:BC2. It would be like making a donation for me.[/QUOTE] LOL really!? this is couch change.....a bag of doritos.....a pack of starburst....an Arizona Iced Tea for petes sake....Buy it!

[quote name='VernlovesMaria']New deal today is Viva Pinata for 99 cents. Woohoo!!! Keep 'em coming![/QUOTE] AWESOME! I actually fell in love with this game on xbox lol

[quote name='VernlovesMaria']New deal today is Viva Pinata for 99 cents. Woohoo!!! Keep 'em coming![/QUOTE]
I'm not seeing it yet. Odd...

[quote name='Starky27']The Viva Pinata price has been updated on the Windows client but not on the website (yet).[/QUOTE]
Got it. Thanks for clarifying.

I use their RSS feed and last night (while Shadowrun was still on sale) I got two new messages. The first was for Viva Pinata, the second was for Blacklight: Tango Down for $1. If I had to guess, I'd say that will be the deal tomorrow.

"Daily deal! Pick up Blacklight: Tango Down for only 99 cents (US)!

from Games for Windows
Get futuristic combat action for a blowout price! Please check the Games for Windows website in your region for details. You can also get this deal through Games for Windows Marketplace client."

They always seem to send the messages in advance through their RSS feed for some reason. Most of the time when I click on something through the feed, the page it links to isn't even live yet.

New day, new deal!

Now you can grab Viva Piñata for just $0.99 - that's 95% off!

I'll update the main post and thread title in a matter of seconds.

bread's done
Back