GGT 105 : In Memorandum of Cheddahz

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='FriskyTanuki']It's so boring with all of the WhiskeyMedia sites being down today due to Amazon.[/QUOTE]

Wait, what happened? I tried going to Giantbomb earlier to waste my day watching quick looks, and I couldn't :(

[quote name='panzerfaust']I just thought of both Gears MP and SP and wondered how the games are even popular anymore.

---

watched my roommated start Portal 2 and wow are the first segments obnoxious. they are trying way too hard with the humor this time as well IMO.[/QUOTE]

I didn't think the beginning was too bad. Pretty standard starting stuff.

Why do so many characters have teleports in MK? They have got to be the most frustrating thing. Especially fucking noob.

[quote name='distgfx']
Sure, you're implying SSFIV was only some tweaks, new characters, stages and online modes. Which in themselves is quite the upgrade considering the genre. However, you seem to be forgetting the new story, new cutscenes, bonus stages, new rival scenes, new music, new sound effects, new ultras, new filters, etc.

Yes, you could say a lot of it's just superfluous, but I could say the same about the shit you mentioned for Gears. Adding story to a game isn't exactly unheard of, like Dead Space 2's alternate story. Maps? Bitch, please, they charge for those all the time. New multiplayer modes? Yup, been done as DLC. New characters? You could practically reskin the Gears characters and make them look "new." Different levels? Same shit as episodic story content, see Dead Space 2 again.

Good enough explanation for you? Feel free to continue, because I know a lot of the shit I said can be categorized in the same way, which just further strengthens my argument.
[/QUOTE]

First of all, Gears 2 added a whole new campaign. A very well done one at that. SSFIV's "story" if you want to call it that, is nothing more than an opening cutscene and an ending cutscene. And they are very short and simple, without anywhere near as much effort/content as Gears's campaign. Secondly, the maps: yes, companies tend to charge $15 for small map packs these days. Gears 2 had 10 maps as well as horde mode. Basically, the amount of content added in what I've said so far alone is enough to warrant a full game release. When you add up all the additions to SSFIV, it still doesn't seem like enough for a full new game.

Oh and you seem to bring up DS2's added story DLC, but that was very small compared to a full new release. It only lasted an hour or so, and it wasn't anything particularly new. Even the environments were from the main game.

Smoke and Scorpion are pretty annoying too.

I'm not going to lie though, when I play as Cyrax I teleport a good amount, but at least his teleport isn't an attack.

[quote name='ihadFG']First of all, Gears 2 added a whole new campaign. A very well done one at that. SSFIV's "story" if you want to call it that, is nothing more than an opening cutscene and an ending cutscene. And they are very short and simple, without anywhere near as much effort/content as Gears's campaign. Secondly, the maps: yes, companies tend to charge $15 for small map packs these days. Gears 2 had 10 maps as well as horde mode. Basically, the amount of content added in what I've said so far alone is enough to warrant a full game release. When you add up all the additions to SSFIV, it still doesn't seem like enough for a full new game.[/QUOTE]

That's enough to warrant a full game release? I suppose by today's standards it is, but it could just as easily be DLC. You have a few linear levels with a small cutscene here and there as a story and some occasional banter between the characters. The maps and new "modes" could just as easily have been DLC considering the horde mode is just basically a map with a lot of bots in waves.

[quote name='ihadFG']Oh and you seem to bring up DS2's added story DLC, but that was very small compared to a full new release. It only lasted an hour or so, and it wasn't anything particularly new. Even the environments were from the main game.[/QUOTE]

Stealth edit? Bah.

Would you prefer it if I had said Minerva's Den from Bioshock 2? The point I was trying to make is that it could have been episodic, like how the add-on story content was, small chunks.

[quote name='ihadFG']First of all, Gears 2 added a whole new campaign. A very well done one at that. SSFIV's "story" if you want to call it that, is nothing more than an opening cutscene and an ending cutscene. And they are very short and simple, without anywhere near as much effort/content as Gears's campaign. Secondly, the maps: yes, companies tend to charge $15 for small map packs these days. Gears 2 had 10 maps as well as horde mode. Basically, the amount of content added in what I've said so far alone is enough to warrant a full game release. When you add up all the additions to SSFIV, it still doesn't seem like enough for a full new game.

Oh and you seem to bring up DS2's added story DLC, but that was very small compared to a full new release. It only lasted an hour or so, and it wasn't anything particularly new. Even the environments were from the main game.[/QUOTE]

To be fair, SSF4 did add something like 10 characters and 2 stages, right? 10 characters is pretty much a fighting game. They also added new trials and stuff too. Considering it debuted at $40 it was a bit easier to swallow than if it was another $60 release like SF4.

--

BS, just hit and hold block as soon as they teleport. If you get good at that reaction, the teleport becomes very unsafe. At least for Kung Lao and Scorpion... Haven't really fucked around with anyone else (played chapters 1-3 in story and challenges 1-20 on the tower).

[quote name='distgfx']That's enough to warrant a full game release? I suppose by today's standards it is, but it could just as easily be DLC. You have a few linear levels with a small cutscene here and there as a story and some occasional banter between the characters. The maps and new "modes" could just as easily have been DLC considering the horde mode is just basically a map with a lot of bots in waves.[/QUOTE]

But the amount of new content in Gears of War 2 was as big as (or even bigger than) the entirety of Gears of War 1. With SSFIV, it was just some additions to the original SFIV (very good ones, yes, but still not nearly as much new content as a full game release like Gears of War 2).

[quote name='ihadFG']But the amount of new content in Gears of War 2 was as big as (or even bigger than) the entirety of Gears of War 1. With SSFIV, it was just some additions to the original SFIV (very good ones, yes, but still not nearly as much new content as a full game release like Gears of War 2).[/QUOTE]

I dunno, Gears 2 could have easily just been DLC like SSFIV. Except Gears 2 was $60 and not $40 for basically the same game with more content.

[quote name='distgfx']
Would you prefer it if I had said Minerva's Den from Bioshock 2? The point I was trying to make is that it could have been episodic, like how the add-on story content was, small chunks.[/QUOTE]

That would have been a lot of episodes then. Between all the story DLCs and map packs, it would have ended up costing us more than $60 most likely.

And Minerva's Den was hands down the best DLC I've ever played. It could have practically been a full game release and I would have thought it was worth it. It's the exception, not the rule.

[quote name='distgfx']I dunno, Gears 2 could have easily just been DLC like SSFIV. Except Gears 2 was $60 and not $40 for basically the same game with more content.[/QUOTE]

But it wasn't the same game with more content. It was a new game with as much new content as the original game.

[quote name='distgfx']Sure, you're implying SSFIV was only some tweaks, new characters, stages and online modes.
[/quote]
That's exactly what it is. Remember who you're talking to, a person who has played fighters since SF2 hit the arcades, who has played 6 versions of Street Fighter 2 and can tell the difference between them all quite easily.
Which in themselves is quite the upgrade considering the genre.
Agreed, it's an upgrade.
However, you seem to be forgetting the new story, new cutscenes, bonus stages, new rival scenes, new music, new sound effects, new ultras, new filters, etc.
New story is laughably bad, cutscenes are full screen GIFs with 2 or 3 frames of animation total, bonus stages were cool but only in arcade mode, rival scenes are cool, "new" music is largely remixed Street Fighter anthems, ultras are cool but some weren't very useful compared to other ultras (Boxer's Ultra 1 vs. Ultra 2, for example), etc.

Yes, you could say a lot of it's just superfluous, but I could say the same about the shit you mentioned for Gears.
Some of it is superfluous, some isn't. What's superfluous = wasting time half assing a story mode in a fighter, shitty balance and fucked up hit boxes (Makoto anyone?).

For being somebody that stress GAMEPLAY >>> ALL, you sure like to add a lot of fluff to your argument that doesn't factor into it, such as the music and story comments.

My balance comment is opinion, BTW. But you cannot deny that Dimps sucks at hit boxes.

Adding story to a game isn't exactly unheard of, like Dead Space 2's alternate story.
Agreed. But how often do you see them adding significant gameplay and story via DLC? Gears 2 is more than just a glorified expansion to Gears 1, unlike SSFIV was to SFIV. It's a fighter, we've been here before, plenty of times. As much as I love 3rd Strike, I know it's just a 3rd update to Street Fighter 3, not changing anything significantly, but tweaking it enough to improve it. I still paid $40 for my Dreamcast copy back in the day, no regrets. But saying that SSFIV has more new content than Gears 2, or that Gears 2 would even be possible as an update or DLC to Gears 1 is a flat out lie.

Maps? Bitch, please, they charge for those all the time. New multiplayer modes? Yup, been done as DLC. New characters? You could practically reskin the Gears characters and make them look "new." Different levels? Same shit as episodic story content, see Dead Space 2 again.
Bitch please. Maps and other DLC, while usually overpriced, are still a vastly better value than SSFIV's costume DLC that doesn't add anything tangible to the gameplay. That shit should be free.

Good enough explanation for you? Feel free to continue, because I know a lot of the shit I said can be categorized in the same way, which just further strengthens my argument..
Your argument towards what? My whole argument is that Gears 2 is a sequel to Gears 1, whereas SSFIV is just an update to SFIV. It is not a sequel, it is not a new game. It's Street Fighter IV with tweaks, new characters, new shit, but still the same damn game.

Everything you just said barely constitutes being considered a new game. SSFIV was simply just an update to SFIV.

Don't forget DAT ARCADE EDITION that's coming. soon. :roll: In the almost 3 years between Gears 2 and 3, we've had SFIV, SSFIV, and SSFIV AE. Squeeze that blood from that stone, Capcom!!

Gimme Street Fighter 5 please, and keep Dimps away from it so they don't fuck that one up too.

Did you play Gears 2's campaign? You act like they just dumped in new shit into old maps and said "here you go!!" Gears 2 was a complete, new game. It is not Super Gears of War. The single player campaign has similar gameplay as Gears 1, sure, but the levels are completely different, the story is different, they introduced new characters, new gameplay mechanics, actual co-op mechanics that the first one sorely lacked, etc etc.

Anyway, I've had my say. ^__^ Agree to disagree.

[quote name='ihadFG']But it wasn't the same game with more content. It was a new game with as much new content as the original game.[/QUOTE]

Biggest support to this comment: I believe Gears 2 had an entirely new engine -- SF4 uses the same engine and adds new content.

Gears of War 2 was as much of an upgrade to Gears 1 as black people were to gorillas. It made some definite refinements, but if you hated them before, you'll still hate 'em now.

[quote name='Chacrana']Gears of War 2 was as much of an upgrade to Gears 1 as black people were to gorillas. It made some definite refinements, but if you hated them before, you'll still hate 'em now.[/QUOTE]

obama-monkey-email.jpg

[quote name='ihadFG']That would have been a lot of episodes then. Between all the story DLCs and map packs, it would have ended up costing us more than $60 most likely.[/QUOTE]

How do you know how many episodes it would be?

[quote name='hankmecrankme']TMK length post[/QUOTE]

I'm not reading that.

[quote name='corrosivefrost']Biggest support to this comment: I believe Gears 2 had an entirely new engine -- SF4 uses the same engine and adds new content.[/QUOTE]

It just uses an upgraded version of the unreal engine.

As for Gears 2 just being a refinement to the first....that's what a sequel should do. Make some refinements so fans like it even more. A sequel shouldn't change to draw in people who didn't like the earlier games. Plenty of series out there for people who don't like a particular one. Within a franchise it should just be a matter of refinements that improve the game from the past iteration and keep fans of the series interested and happy.

Anyway, I played some more Limbo tonight. Made it from chapter 14 to 21 or 22, so I"m nearing the end. Had to look up something in 14 as I was stumped. Was a pretty simple solution, but not sure I would have figured it out on my own as I'd just missed something you could interact with. A bit stumped where I stopped at tonight again.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='distgfx']How do you know how many episodes it would be?
[/QUOTE]

Based on the amount of new content in Gears 2 and comparing to the average DLC size these days.

I pirated a copy of Portal 2.
Holy shit that game sucks. I finished it in like 30 minutes. Thank god I didn't pay for that piece of shit.
Anyone who liked it was clearly destitute.

If I wanted to do a puzzle, I'd buy a fucking jigsaw and save 55 bucks.

[quote name='linkpwns']I pirated a copy of Portal 2.
Holy shit that game sucks. I finished it in like 30 minutes. Thank god I didn't pay for that piece of shit.
Anyone who liked it was clearly destitute.[/QUOTE]

I heard over half the game is day 1 DLC too. Who would buy such a piece of crap?

[quote name='linkpwns']Honestly, Aegis Wing is the only schmup i liked.
Combining ships adds so much depth.[/QUOTE]

It is the only shmup I've played with Cheddahz, so obviously it must be the best.

[quote name='whoknows']Smoke and Scorpion are pretty annoying too.

I'm not going to lie though, when I play as Cyrax I teleport a good amount, but at least his teleport isn't an attack.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='diddy310']Can't Kung Lao's teleport throw go through blocks?[/QUOTE]

Yeah it can. and his can switch up the attacks even. Ermac and Sektor were kicking my ass with it too. Maybe its just the cpu since they can abuse it so badly.

You know what game really sucks? Dragon Age 2.

Damn is that game some stinky dogshit. Awful and buggy graphics with shitty animations, lame "stand around and swing at each other" combat, story is some R.A. Salvatore inspired wannabe Dungeons and Dragons bullshit, and the whole game just feels like a piece of shit.

[quote name='ihadFG']It is the only shmup I've played with Cheddahz, so obviously it must be the best.[/QUOTE]

Maybe if Trouble Witches Neo has online co-op, then that would be the best shmup you've played just because you played it with Cheddahz

[quote name='hankmecrankme']You know what game really sucks? Dragon Age 2.

Damn is that game some stinky dogshit. Awful and buggy graphics with shitty animations, lame "stand around and swing at each other" combat, story is some R.A. Salvatore inspired wannabe Dungeons and Dragons bullshit, and the whole game just feels like a piece of shit.[/QUOTE]

Dragon Age 2 reminded me of Fable III, which was also shit

[quote name='BlueScrote']Yeah it can. and his can switch up the attacks even. Ermac and Sektor were kicking my ass with it too. Maybe its just the cpu since they can abuse it so badly.[/QUOTE]

Could be. But early story mode fight against Kung Lao and watching the CPU block my Scorpion in Chapter 3... seems like if you block it, they were left open. What about just ducking? I was reading somewhere that duck was the preferred neutral state because you could hit block when attacked but didn't have to hold it leaving you susceptible to throws.

[quote name='hankmecrankme']You know what game really sucks? Dragon Age 2.

Damn is that game some stinky dogshit. Awful and buggy graphics with shitty animations, lame "stand around and swing at each other" combat, story is some R.A. Salvatore inspired wannabe Dungeons and Dragons bullshit, and the whole game just feels like a piece of shit.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I made a hundred metacritic accounts to give it a hundred 0s.

[quote name='Gustav']Dragon Age 2 reminded me of Fable III, which was also shit[/QUOTE]

Exactly. It's like Bioware and Lionhead are having a race to the bottom.

Whomever wins, we lose.

[quote name='ihadFG']Yeah I made a hundred metacritic accounts to give it a hundred 0s.[/QUOTE]
Dude, I'm doing this for Portal 2.

STUPID CONSOLE PORT

[quote name='hankmecrankme']
Dude, I'm doing this for Portal 2.

STUPID CONSOLE PORT[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I heard it was originally made for the N64 and then ported to consoles and then PC.

[quote name='ihadFG']Yeah, I heard it was originally made for the N64 and then ported to consoles and then PC.[/QUOTE]

I think you got your facts wrong, I heard it was originally made for the Virtual Boy, and then it was ported to consoles and then PC

[quote name='Gustav']I think you got your facts wrong, I heard it was originally made for the Virtual Boy, and then it was ported to consoles and then PC[/QUOTE]

Actually it went like this: Virtual Boy -> N-gage -> Atari 2600 -> consoles -> calculator -> PC.

[quote name='seanr1221']Gustav, you're an alt.[/QUOTE]

Careful. A mod might see this. Then we'll be having a Gustav memorial thread and aegis wing benefit.

[quote name='corrosivefrost']Careful. A mod might see this. Then we'll be having a Gustav memorial thread and aegis wing benefit.[/QUOTE]
Dude that would be terrible. :cry:

I don't want to play Aegis Wing ever again. :cry: :cry: :cry:

[quote name='seanr1221']Is Aegis Wing like a send off for banned accounts?[/QUOTE]

No, we were just playing it last night on a whim because Chacrana wanted to for whatever reason. Then linkpwns left and Cheddahz joined us like immediately. I took the pic because it honestly sounds like something we'd make up.

Game sucks so much dick.

For the record, we didn't know Cheddahz until he posted in here, like 3 hours before he was banned for whatever reason, and he is not InuFyae/whomever else that has been banned prior. Check his 32,000 some point Gamertag also called Cheddahz, seems too elaborate to be an alt account.

[quote name='Jimbo Slice']Hank / Chac, we should play some Outrun one night. Haven't played that in forever.[/QUOTE]

I would, but I have it for PC, and PC servers were dead day of release, taken down whenever. I'm not even sure they were ever up. :whistle2:k

LOVE Outrun 2006.

[quote name='seanr1221']Jim and I played a bunch of MK with 0 lag.

I think you all need to get off dial-up.[/QUOTE]

You nukkas are both in PA, that's why.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back