GGT 111: JSP finally made another one and it will probably be stupid

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='ihadFG']Shadow Complex was a "wanna-be Metroidvania." Outland is not.[/QUOTE]

They're all the same basic genre with different twists. I do like Outland a lot more than I did Shadow Complex though. I wouldn't call either "wanna-be" Metroidvanias though. They're all just games in the same genre.

Outland Metroidvania-ish in that it's the same type of big map with areas you can't get to until you get new powers, as well as having hidden power ups, etc. to find in the map.

But it has the whole Ikaruga color switching bullet hell stuff that adds a different angle to the platforming and boss battles.

I need to get back to it, beat the 3rd boss over a week ago but haven't got around to playing it with the Blops new maps and Gears 3 beta.

[quote name='ihadFG']Shadow Complex was a "wanna-be Metroidvania." Outland is not.[/QUOTE]

O RLY?

I'll be the Judge of that.
I agree with you on Shadow Complex. Completely overrated.

I went ahead and got the last achievement in Mass Effect 2. Beating it on Insanity left me empty after beating Shadow Broker on Hardcore. It felt more satisfying to beat it on Insanity after so long.

[quote name='dmaul1114']They're all the same basic genre with different twists. I do like Outland a lot more than I did Shadow Complex though. I wouldn't call either "wanna-be" Metroidvanias though. They're all just games in the same genre.

Outland Metroidvania-ish in that it's the same type of big map with areas you can't get to until you get new powers, as well as having hidden power ups, etc. to find in the map.

But it has the whole Ikaruga color switching bullet hell stuff that adds a different angle to the platforming and boss battles.

I need to get back to it, beat the 3rd boss over a week ago but haven't got around to playing it with the Blops new maps and Gears 3 beta.[/QUOTE]

Don't get me wrong, both games definitely have Metroidvania elements. I just felt like Shadow Complex was trying to be just like those kind of games (hence the "wanna-be Metroidvania" vibe). I thought it was a good enough game to play through, but nothing special at all. Outland on the other hand, doesn't seem like it's just trying to copy those kind of games. It has that general structure, but it tries to be different in a lot of ways. The Ikaruga elements really make it something different from any other Metroidvania. It doesn't feel like a simple Metroidvania knock-off.

Metroid != Metroidvania.

Metroidvania's level design is very linear in nature with a few deviating paths. You might be able to go back to where you go, but it'll take a while, or in Symphony of the Night's case, warps are used
CHEAP

Metroid's level design is a looping nature. You almost always end up back where you started, but when you get back there you can usually go 3 or 4 different ways.

[quote name='KingBroly']Metroid != Metroidvania.

Metroidvania's level design is very linear in nature with a few deviating paths. You might be able to go back to where you go, but it'll take a while, or in Symphony of the Night's case, warps are used
CHEAP

Metroid's level design is a looping nature. You almost always end up back where you started, but when you get back there you can usually go 3 or 4 different ways.[/QUOTE]

It might be because I hurt my neck and am on painkillers, but I don't understand what you're getting at.

Metroidvania is supposed to be a large map which is sectioned off by the fact that various abilities are required to access them and you cannot progress until you obtain them. Some Metroid's might not follow this, but the pinnacle of the Metroid series did (super metroid) and I think the GBA games did as well. Hell, even the Prime series uses this layout.

Random thought:
Capcom (Seth or Sven) confirmed that they didn't add new characters or redraw the artwork for SF3SO... so what the fuck is all the budget for? Did they license GGPO? That couldn't be more expensive than all the rework UDON had to keep doing on HDR. I'm really curious on where all the money went...

[quote name='corrosivefrost']It might be because I hurt my neck and am on painkillers, but I don't understand what you're getting at.

Metroidvania is supposed to be a large map which is sectioned off by the fact that various abilities are required to access them and you cannot progress until you obtain them. Some Metroid's might not follow this, but the pinnacle of the Metroid series did (super metroid) and I think the GBA games did as well. Hell, even the Prime series uses this layout.[/QUOTE]

I'm mainly referring to flow of the game. Metroidvania games basically take you to a point and force you to go back the way you came in order to progress. Metroid will send you down a path where you get an item, and then you take a new, shorter path to get back to where you started.

[quote name='corrosivefrost']Random thought:
Capcom (Seth or Sven) confirmed that they didn't add new characters or redraw the artwork for SF3SO... so what the fuck is all the budget for? Did they license GGPO? That couldn't be more expensive than all the rework UDON had to keep doing on HDR. I'm really curious on where all the money went...[/QUOTE]

They licensed GGPO a while ago, and I have no clue what the budget is for. What matters is that they're giving it the treatment it deserves ... I hope.

Just do what I'm doing and wait for E3. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='KingBroly']I'm mainly referring to flow of the game. Metroidvania games basically take you to a point and force you to go back the way you came in order to progress. Metroid will send you down a path where you get an item, and then you take a new, shorter path to get back to where you started.[/QUOTE]

That's a pretty minor difference.

And I don' get your earlier knock on warps. I like them in this kind of game as they cut out some needless backtracking...especially handy when going back and trying to find all the hidden items in certain areas etc.

It's not exactly a make-or-break issue in a game, but I think I understand what Broly is getting at.

Think back to any time you ever got the grapple beam in a Metroid game. Did you exit the same way as you entered? fuck no, you grapple beamed your way out of there, because walking and jumping and shit are for pussies. You did this because Retro/Nintendo are smart, and realize that players need to learn how to use items in a safe, no-pressure environment before they have to use them while dodging lasers and shit and killing space dragons or whatever the area boss is.

"Looping" level designs compliment this, and keep it from feeling unnatural. Grabbing the bow in Zelda then having the door behind you lock until you shoot some inaccessible target has the same seamless, no-pressure tutorial thing going on as the above example, but it feels contrived as all fuck. Using the bow to allow the player to progress to a different area (shooting the rope holding up a drawbridge or something, I don't fucking know), even if it takes them back to where they came from, keeps things feeling natural. And when things feel natural, the player is less likely to thing, "Oh. This is the bow tutorial."

And... well, that's just good, okay? Generally speaking, that's the sort of thing that shouldn't be brought to a player's attention.

[quote name='dmaul1114']That's a pretty minor difference.

And I don' get your earlier knock on warps. I like them in this kind of game as they cut out some needless backtracking...especially handy when going back and trying to find all the hidden items in certain areas etc.[/QUOTE]

No, it's actually quite a big difference. It's basically a matter of choice.

You Just got an awesome item/weapon, what do you do to get back to where you were at:
A - Go back the same route you came but in reverse, which is cleared out of items but enemies will still spawn there
B - Go this entirely new route with your weapon to look for more paths and items with different enemies.

A is what Metroidvania does. B is what Metroid does. While both will allow you to open up new paths, Metroid gives you that choice very early, making it more open than Metroidvania. Plus some rooms in Metroid games have multiple paths to them that go to and from the same location. Metroidvania doesn't do that.

I guess. I personally don't have much of a preference on that issue one way or the other.

I do like Metroid games (especially Super Metroid) better than the Metroidvanias, but that's not really part of it. The main reason is that the Metroidvanias (at least some of them) are harder and required grinding to level up and tricker boss pattern memorization etc. which isn't something I dig.

If you have netflix you should check it out. It was on AdultSwim a while back and I watched it a lot, but that was probably 3 years or so ago.

*HIGH FIVES*

"GO TO SLEEP! COUNT SHEEP OR YOUR ROLLS OF FAT OR SOMETHING!"

Such a goddamn hilarious show.

Edit: Dude, episode with Yannro is fuckin' great. "I spent the night vomiting into my limited edition Master Chief Helmet."

[quote name='CaptainJoel']Yo, straight up I've been watching Shin Chan and I forgot how goddamn great it was.[/QUOTE]

I did not enjoy that show at all. I believe the GGT once argued over whether Shin Chan or Aqua Teen Hunger Force was better at one point. It was brought up when ATHF replaced Shin Chan's time slot one night. ATHF won!

[quote name='distgfx']I did not enjoy that show at all. I believe the GGT once argued over whether Shin Chan or Aqua Teen Hunger Force was better at one point. It was brought up when ATHF replaced Shin Chan's time slot one night. ATHF won![/QUOTE] I love them both to amazing amounts.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Aqua Teen Hunger Force is terrible. It's the Family Guy of the Adult Swim lineup.[/QUOTE]
I think that Family Guy would actually be the Family Guy of AS' lineup.For their original programming though, you can do a lot worse. Squidbillies sucks.

[quote name='CaptainJoel']I think that Family Guy would actually be the Family Guy of AS' lineup.For their original programming though, you can do a lot worse. Squidbillies sucks.[/QUOTE]
Adult Swim doesn't own Family Guy, so it doesn't count. The difference between Squidbillies and ATHF is that people like ATHF, which is why I made that comparison.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Adult Swim doesn't own Family Guy, so it doesn't count. The difference between Squidbillies and ATHF is that people like ATHF, which is why I made that comparison.[/QUOTE]
Ahhh, I guess, AS doesn't have a show of its own that is like Family Guy and everyone knows it, though.

Do any of you homos wanna have a serious chat with me on the skype/aims or something i have stuff bugging me

Preferably one of you won't tell the rest of the ggt about it, i mean i guess it's not a big deal if you do but it's personal business that'd I prefer not to have aired all over the world/CAG

So guess who got a 3DS? :D

My birthday is on the 19th so Zach gave me my present early since I told him I was going to go to the store and buy it myself. I mainly wanted it so I could utilize Street Pass at E3, but after giving the system an honest chance it's not bad at all. I only have Bust A Move Universe and SSFIV 3D ( which is hella hard if you try to use the pro controls and not the touch screen) at the moment, but I'm getting Ghost Recon from one of my Ubi friends and Nintendogs as a gift. I think what's really making the system bareable is that I can manipulate the angle so the 3D doesn't give me a headache.

I'm actually pretty interested to try out Samurai Chronicles as well. Has anyone in here played it?

[quote name='Cheska19']So guess who got a 3DS? :D

My birthday is on the 19th so Zach gave me my present early since I told him I was going to go to the store and buy it myself. I mainly wanted it so I could utilize Street Pass at E3, but after giving the system an honest chance it's not bad at all. I only have Bust A Move Universe and SSFIV 3D ( which is hella hard if you try to use the pro controls and not the touch screen) at the moment, but I'm getting Ghost Recon from one of my Ubi friends and Nintendogs as a gift. I think what's really making the system bareable is that I can manipulate the angle so the 3D doesn't give me a headache.

I'm actually pretty interested to try out Samurai Chronicles as well. Has anyone in here played it?[/QUOTE]

Good to hear some more positive impressions on the 3ds. One of my friends has one and I really like the feel of the nub and buttons. Once a killer app comes out for it, I'll probably pick one up.

In Batman: AA do all the plants blocking things disapear once Ivy is taken out? I want to collect the last of the trophies and solve the riddles but the vines are still in the way.

[quote name='Cheska19']So guess who got a 3DS? :D

I'm actually pretty interested to try out Samurai Chronicles as well. Has anyone in here played it?[/QUOTE]

I need to pick up Ghost Recon eventually. I've heard alot of good things about that one. But I'll probably wait until after Tales of the Abyss 3DS to pick that one up.

I somehow had 43$ in credit at gamestop so I decided to make the mistake of pre-ordering the Hero edition of Infamous 2.

[quote name='BlueScrote']Good to hear some more positive impressions on the 3ds. One of my friends has one and I really like the feel of the nub and buttons. Once a killer app comes out for it, I'll probably pick one up.[/QUOTE]

I was against it for so long because I felt it was a huge waste of money, but after you get to actually sit down and play with all the new trinkets, the system shines. The only thing that's still disappointing about it is the crappy battery life, but I guess the Nyko battery pack fixes those issues.
[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']I need to pick up Ghost Recon eventually. I've heard alot of good things about that one. But I'll probably wait until after Tales of the Abyss 3DS to pick that one up. [/QUOTE]

That's another reason I wanted the 3DS:Tales of the Abyss 3D this year :D Amd Devil Survivor.

[quote name='Cheska19']That's another reason I wanted the 3DS:Tales of the Abyss 3D this year :D Amd Devil Survivor.[/QUOTE]

I already have the PS2 version but I have been looking for an excuse to restart the game. And I'm debating on getting Devil Survivor when that comes out.

My parents got in a really bad fight last night and it was capped by my dad yelling that he wanted a divorce because since he's fond out he might have cancer he thinks he's wasting his time with my mom and us.

Yeah, I mean if it was me I could understand wanting to get out a marriage because you're not happy, but the way he's going about this shit is just horrible. They didn't even make it 6 years, so sad.

[quote name='eldergamer']In Batman: AA do all the plants blocking things disapear once Ivy is taken out? I want to collect the last of the trophies and solve the riddles but the vines are still in the way.[/QUOTE]

Yep everything disappears.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back