GGT 178 may have hooked up with Uncle Dolan. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='ihadFG']Just played about an hour of Legend of Grimrock and I'm already hooked.[/QUOTE]

tumblr_lhz9sep6i01qhcpwro1_500.gif

[quote name='BlueScrote']You know what feels good? Actually winning online in fighting games.[/QUOTE]

You should play me, you'd always feel good.

[quote name='BlueScrote']You know what feels good? Actually winning online in fighting games.[/QUOTE]

You should play with us; you already have Skype so you're half way there.

Hank: "I leaned in close and just licked the tip of it."

[quote name='Indignate']Yes,
Stud.
[/QUOTE]

Well what do you want to know about it
baby
?

I saw some gameplay and it looked kind of...clumsy, with the strafing and turning. Does it feel good? Are you leveling up for stats/skills or is it equipment base? Does the magic system tie into that?

Is it randomly generated? I saw some puzzle rooms so I'm thinking not. How are the puzzles? How's your mom? Is there suppose to be some kind of plot, I read something about dream sequences?

So the basic deal with Baldur's Gate is that a while back, Bhaal, the god of murder, slept with mortal females of various races, creating "Bhaalspawn" children. The BG2 expansion pack "Throne of Bhaal" focuses on the in-fighting between his children as they vie to become his successor. So lots and lots of half-brothers and half-sisters coming out of nowhere to kill your ass.

I just got attacked by a chinchilla Bhaalspan.

Baldur's Gate!

[quote name='Indignate']I saw some gameplay and it looked kind of...clumsy, with the strafing and turning. Does it feel good? [/QUOTE]

I mean, being a tile-based game, it isn't like you can maneuver like you would in a fully open game, but it does feel good, and the tiles make for interesting play.

[quote name='Indignate']
Are you leveling up for stats/skills or is it equipment base? Does the magic system tie into that?[/QUOTE]

If there is leveling, I haven't seen any of it yet. So far, I've only had to deal with equipment. Unlocking new magic spells requires you to find new scrolls.

[quote name='Indignate']
Is it randomly generated? I saw some puzzle rooms so I'm thinking not. How are the puzzles? [/QUOTE]

Not randomly generated. The whole game kind of revolves around progressing through the dungeon, so the puzzles are part of that. There aren't necessarily specific puzzle rooms. Solving one smaller puzzle may lead to you getting a piece of a larger puzzle.

[quote name='Indignate']
Is there suppose to be some kind of plot, I read something about dream sequences?[/QUOTE]

The only bit of plot I've seen is the brief cutscene at the beginning explaining how I got there. There could be dream sequences later on, but I haven't gotten to them if they exist.

[quote name='distgfx']You should play with us; you already have Skype so you're half way there.[/QUOTE]

I said I like winning. Kidding aside, you guys always play much later than I am around on week nights.

[quote name='BlueScrote']I said I like winning.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='icebeast']You should play me, you'd always feel good.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='The Crotch']So the basic deal with Baldur's Gate is that a while back, Bhaal, the god of murder, slept with mortal females of various races, creating "Bhaalspawn" children. The BG2 expansion pack "Throne of Bhaal" focuses on the in-fighting between his children as they vie to become his successor. So lots and lots of half-brothers and half-sisters coming out of nowhere to kill your ass.[/QUOTE]

Why are they trying to kill you? Are you a Bhaalspawn?

[quote name='ihadFG']I mean, being a tile-based game, it isn't like you can maneuver like you would in a fully open game, but it does feel good, and the tiles make for interesting play.[/QUOTE]

It seemed like the camera didn't always face the way you wanted it to. Maybe it's just the guy that was playing was being all frantic about it.

[quote name='ihadFG']If there is leveling, I haven't seen any of it yet. So far, I've only had to deal with equipment. Unlocking new magic spells requires you to find new scrolls.[/QUOTE]

That's a shame. I like having that sense of progression. Are the equipment just loot-drops or is there some type of hub town that you can go to and purchase things?

[quote name='ihadFG']Not randomly generated. The whole game kind of revolves around progressing through the dungeon, so the puzzles are part of that. There aren't necessarily specific puzzle rooms. Solving one smaller puzzle may lead to you getting a piece of a larger puzzle.[/QUOTE]

I saw one puzzle where you just dropped stones on pressure plates in order to continue. I know that you've only just started, but so far do they seem really simplistic like that?

[quote name='Indignate']Why are they trying to kill you? Are you a Bhaalspawn?[/QUOTE]
Half my party is Bhaalspawn.

And that chinchilla put up a really good fight.

[quote name='Indignate']
It seemed like the camera didn't always face the way you wanted it to. Maybe it's just the guy that was playing was being all frantic about it.
[/QUOTE]

You move with WASD and rotate the camera left and right with Q and E. You can look around by holding the right mouse button. It was weird for the first minute, but I adjusted to it quickly.

[quote name='Indignate']
That's a shame. I like having that sense of progression. Are the equipment just loot-drops or is there some type of hub town that you can go to and purchase things?
[/QUOTE]

Played a bit more, and it looks like there is leveling actually. The equipment is stuff you find throughout the dungeon by exploring or uncovering secret areas. There's no hub town; your goal is to get out of the dungeon.

[quote name='Indignate']
I saw one puzzle where you just dropped stones on pressure plates in order to continue. I know that you've only just started, but so far do they seem really simplistic like that?[/QUOTE]

There is some pressure plate stuff, yeah, but it already shows signs of trickiness. I could see the puzzles getting really clever as it goes on.

[quote name='whoknows']You could probably beat me.[/QUOTE]

I think we played MvC3 together during a GGT night back when that came out, and I don't remember beating anyone at that game.

[quote name='icebeast']I think we played MvC3 together during a GGT night back when that came out, and I don't remember beating anyone at that game.[/QUOTE]

Joel.

[quote name='ihadFG']You move with WASD and rotate the camera left and right with Q and E. You can look around by holding the right mouse button. It was weird for the first minute, but I adjusted to it quickly.[/QUOTE]

From what I saw it seemed like the guy was using the mouse to rotate the camera, which seems like the wrong way to go about things.

Glad to hear that there's leveling. Is there skill progression or is it just stat based?

[quote name='Indignate']From what I saw it seemed like the guy was using the mouse to rotate the camera, which seems like the wrong way to go about things.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I think using the mouse for rotating while moving would be clunky.

[quote name='Indignate']
Glad to hear that there's leveling. Is there skill progression or is it just stat based?[/QUOTE]

Sort of a mix. Each class has certain stats you can level which affect skills.

Played some of dat Skullgirls.

It seems pretty decent. I didn't really miss a move list, it's pretty simply to figure out what's what.

I'm not gonna buy it though cuz I'm cheap and I still haven't gotten BB or MvC yet.

I finished up Shinobi on the 3DS today. It's a really solid old-school 2D action/platformer. Given that it's bargain-priced most places, I can definitely recommend it to those of you with a 3DS if you don't mind something slightly difficult.

[quote name='ihadFG']I finished up Shinobi on the 3DS today. It's a really solid old-school 2D action/platformer. Given that it's bargain-priced most places, I can definitely recommend it to those of you with a 3DS if you don't mind something slightly difficult.[/QUOTE]

I've actually been wondering about Shinobi 3DS. GAF impressions were mostly positive, but it's hard to tell with them sometimes.

[quote name='icebeast'].[/QUOTE]

I added you on PSN so we can see how the timezone shenanigans line up.

[quote name='panzerfaust']i got to write a review of one of the following games, any recommendations (i gotta be able to torrent it, so anything that can be emulated)?:

http://www.honestgamers.com/psychopenguin/blog/content/reviews.html

$150 to the best review =][/QUOTE]
The DS Front Mission remake or one of the PS1 Breath of Fire games. I fucking loved the Breath of Fire series.

EDIT: Huh. A shitload of old Interplay games are half price on gog.com this weekened. $3 Fallout 2, Descent 1+2, MDK, Earthworm Jim 1+2, Jagged Alliance 2...

Big ups to crotch diggity for pulling me out of the online gaming thread.

What's funny is I had put that confoo dude on my ignore list and didn't know why. Google searched it and apparently he was a hurtful name caller from a discussion of Wii Music a year ago.

Don't ask.

[quote name='dothog']Big ups to crotch diggity for pulling me out of the online gaming thread. [/QUOTE]
Least I could do; your posts kept me from having to dive in to that argument in the first place.

[quote name='The Crotch']Least I could do; your posts kept me from having to dive in to that argument in the first place.[/QUOTE]

And now he's editing all his worthless posts to be more substantial, even when he can't get away with a ninja edit.

That's just unsporting! If I had a glove, I'd slap him with it. Then we'd remove our top hats, strip to our waist coats, and box in the Oxford style.

Reminds me of when that Amirox (a mod on gaf) was caught red-handed editing old posts to support his argument. The demodding was delicious.

I love that guy's logic, haha. Well you see they might be saving $5 a copy. Followed by me pointing out that is half a million dollars on even a low to moderate selling game. At which point he says, that isn't $500k on a game that sells 100,000 copies because Gamestop is providing lip service, blah, blah, blah... except it is $500k if we use the number he suggested.

Last year at a wedding, I was seated next to a couple who both worked for Gamestop. And for some reason (let the record show I'm making a drinky drinky motion), when the girl of the couple told me she worked for Gamestop, I blurted out, "I don't want to reserve a copy of Madden 15, thanks for asking!"

My old lady railed me hard in the ribs, and the gamestoppers clammed up. It was a funny joke to me.

The thing that bothered me about that outburst at the time wasn't that I was dick who'd just alienated the gamestoppers, it was that everyone else at the table might've mistaken that as me being into sports games.

I got over it after half a drink or so.

Jonathon Blow, the most dangerous gamer.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2012/04/the-most-dangerous-gamer/8928/

Blow aims to make The Witness a groundbreaking piece of interactive art—a sort of Citizen Kane of video games.

Even Blow’s friends choose words like difficult and spiky when describing him. “You have to approach Jon on Jon’s terms,” said Chris Hecker, his closest game-industry friend, over empanadas with Blow at an airy Oakland café. “It’s not ‘Let’s go out and have fun.’ It’s more like ‘Let’s discuss this topic,’ or ‘Let’s work on our games.’ You don’t ask Jon to hang out, because he’ll just say ‘Why?’”

Sounds like more of a dick than I imagined.

I'm nice to my friends that work at GameStop, but when it comes to the people in the GameStop across from the next town's mall I am the biggest dick in the world. I don't know if they do this at any of y'all's GS locations (because they only do what I'm about to describe at this one), but almost everytime I'm in there they walk around to every customer in the store and hand them a large printed out list of preorder bonuses and pretty much demand that you put down $5 on anything that you're even kind of interested in. The worst part is, they don't like to take no, so I pretty much always have to be really, really mean about it. That was pretty alright until the Regional Manager got on my case when I was in there on Saturday with the whole "Why do you even come in here as often as the manager says you do if you don't actually want to preorder anything?" and I straight up told the guy to go fuck himself then went and bought a couple of cheap PS2 games just so I could do the survey and give the store a terrible review.

[quote name='BlueScrote']Even Blow’s friends choose words like difficult and spiky when describing him. “You have to approach Jon on Jon’s terms,” said Chris Hecker, his closest game-industry friend... [/QUOTE]

i.e. the guy who won't dismiss Blow's professional conceit out of hand and who despises him the least

fuck Jonathan Blow.

I went into Gamestop to get Castlevania Chronicles for PS1 when it was released. They had it the day it came out. I knew it was supposed to be $20. I asked the dude if they had it, he said "Yeah, it's $30 and comes with a Game Informer subscription." Trying to make quota off of me. lol fuck that place. I left and haven't bought anything from that Gamestop since.

I don't think I've had any epic stories about going into Gamestop as you guys. The only somewhat funny things I remember are when I went to buy Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne on release (no pre-order) and asked the clerk for it and they looked at me like I was crazy (probably because it wasn't the latest shooter or Madden), then checked and were like, oh we do have that.

Also, when I got Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga 2 it was supposed to come with a soundtrack CD if you pre-ordered which I did, but they didn't have any, and I was like, you'd better get me that CD in a somewhat strong tone, and they called me a couple days later when they got some.

Oh yeah, every Gamestop reeks. Most smell like Arby's or sweaty armpits or something. The one I mentioned above is right next to a mall food court, so it smelled like Panda Express and Sbarro usually.

[quote name='gunm']Meh, looks like you can just casually stroll in the opposite direction.[/QUOTE]

That's not how it works; you're supposed to go and inspect it, except now you can tell it's not a damned shadow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back