GGT #231 Declares Bullet Witch The Best 360 Exclusive This Gen

[quote name='GUNNM']How do I borrow it? I've been looking on ebay for a limited edition of MGS 4.[/QUOTE]

I send it to you.

[quote name='corrosivefrost']You give him your mailing address and he mails it to you?

And the MGS4 LE is garbage.
Just get a regular complete copy.[/QUOTE]

All three statements are correct.

[quote name='ihadFG']Guacamelee today! Who else is buying it?[/QUOTE]

Too lazy to google it. Explain to me in five words why I should excited for Guacamelee.

Oh thats nice of you j-cart but I'm in no rush to play it. Still gotta study and I got jetstream DLC to play and I won't pay over $20 for the LE of MGS 4 I promise!

[quote name='ihadFG']Guacamelee today! Who else is buying it?[/QUOTE]

Already bought.
Dropped $22 on PSN then came to post to tell you guys.

[quote name='j-cart']I
All three statements are correct.

Too lazy to google it. Explain to me in five words why I should excited for Guacamelee.[/QUOTE]

That LE was garbage man. I got it, opened it, my heart sank in disappointment, so I sold it on ebay for $30 over what I paid. Good riddance.

You're better off buying the LE guide and the complete regular game. :)

Guacamelee! is a Metroidvania-style brawler/platformer from Drinkbox Studios.
It's cross-buy, cross-save PSVita/PS3.
PS+ gets a $3 day 1 discount.
Drinkbox made Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack, which I've already gifted to half of you on Steam.
You can care about Guacamelee! when it eventually lands on Steam.

[quote name='GUNNM']Oh thats nice of you j-cart but I'm in no rush to play it. Still gotta study and I got jetstream DLC to play and I won't pay over $20 for the LE of MGS 4 I promise![/QUOTE]

If you check out the Sam DLC, let me know how it is... not sure when I'm going to start it. No spoilers, doe.
please ;)

[quote name='GUNNM']I just started my dl of course no spoilers[/QUOTE]

Send me a FR on PSN, while you're at it... I think I have open spots on my list ATM. :bouncy:

[quote name='BlueScrote']
Wait is that an actual spoiler?
[/QUOTE]
From what I've gleaned from everything said on all of the gaming forums, yes.

Achievement's haven't been updated on xbox so I'd have to redl my account if I earned any.
I'll wait for a while so far Sam is great totally different from Raiden kinda of a cool cameo of something in the beginning it made me smile so yeah!

I'm still thinking about Tomb Raider 2013.

At first, I thought: "finally, Tomb Raider is Uncharted!". Kind of ironic, since Uncharted is essentially Tomb Raider, but with a dude.

However, Tomb Raider 2013 takes all the things that Uncharted did to revitalize the 3D action/adventure that Tomb Raider tried to do back in the day and makes them all better.

Where Drake is the handsome, yet hapless everyman with ridiculous arm strength, Lara is the beautiful young woman coming into her own...with ridiculous arm strength. I swear, what kind of crazyass bullshit cross-fit world do these characters live in? I work out regularly and when I put too much intensity I end up injured (like I am right now natch). These guys climb and jump and fight for over ten hours straight without eating or pooping like Navy Seals on Captain America super serum. Anyways, I love how there's a weapon upgrade system as well as the level up skill system. Also brilliant are the fast travel camps that let you go back and get all the things you missed at your leisure. These are things Uncharted fails at--basically being a game above a story. With Uncharted, I tend to feel like I'm being pushed ahead by the cinematics and not being allowed to fully "play" before progressing with the story. With Tomb Raider, I really get to explore and...raid tombs! OMG what a concept.

Of course, there are problems. The same problems as Uncharted, actually--the squirrelly camera can lead to getting shot or melee'd by enemies you can't see. There are little bugs that, while aren't game breaking, are annoying. I died once just by jumping onto a rock with the camera at a weird angle--the game thought I jumped between the geometry of the rock and killed me. wtf. Also, QTE. Sometimes that shit is just a PITA more than fun,
as my 4 deaths in a row at the very very end of the game proved to me.

In the end though, I think Crystal Dynamics and SE did a great job on this one...it's definitely one of the most entertaining games I've played in a while and I'm sad there are no DLC tombs or other single player diversions to add on until the next game comes out.

Random: Camilla Luddington was born in England and has the most English-y name ever, yet is fully Americanized and has no accent in her regular speech.

[quote name='whoknows']Tell me what the Kameo was bro.[/QUOTE]
When raiden takes a bike it turns out it was Sam's bike
I laughed

[quote name='gunm']I'm still thinking about Tomb Raider 2013.

At first, I thought: "finally, Tomb Raider is Uncharted!". Kind of ironic, since Uncharted is essentially Tomb Raider, but with a dude.

.[/QUOTE]
Tomb Raider was a great game. I think my GOTY so far

[quote name='GUNNM']Tomb Raider was a great game, but not as great as Uncharted.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure I agree.

Good work!

Which Uncharted is Tomb Raider most like, if you had to pick.

If you say Uncharted or Uncharted 3, I suppose I'll have to pick it up on Steam sooner rather than later (or maybe consoles, if the price is right).

[quote name='whoknows']I'm pretty sure I agree.

Good work![/QUOTE]
I don't remember posting that and its even odder seeing as how I've never played uncharted.

It's more like the Arkham games to be honest....take those and throw in a lot of cover based shooting and that's kinda what Tomb Raider is.

You're in a sort of openish world and you pick up new things that let you get to new areas.

You also murder a 10+ guys at a time along the way because Lara is realistic and stuff.

Lara is freaking out about her first murder and then the next scene shes picking up a rock to smash the dudes head in as a finisher move.

[quote name='whoknows']It's more like the Arkham games to be honest....take those and throw in a lot of cover based shooting and that's kinda what Tomb Raider is.

You're in a sort of openish world and you pick up new things that let you get to new areas.

You also murder a 10+ guys at a time along the way because Lara is realistic and stuff.[/QUOTE]

Well, Arkham Asylum was basically a Metroidvania -- very tightly controlled and dependent on story missions to unlock upgrades to proceed. Arkham City relaxed a bit and offered more freedom.

But even if it has a metroidvania layout, if the core of the game is exploration/climbing/third person cover-based shooting? Then the comparison should be to Uncharted. The question for me is "is it like Uncharted/Uncharted 3 where the combat isn't as prominent/featured and there's a decent amount of puzzles and exploration, especially in environments associated with Tomb Raider/Uncharted/Indiana Jones? If it is, that's a very good thing from my perspective.

There's a little side exploring in tombs. It tells you when you're near one, otherwise it's very straightforward. You won't ever get lost.

All upgrades that let you get to new areas are unlocked throughout the story.

The shooting parts are the worst parts IMO. They aren't bad, but just jumping around and climbing things was far more fun to me. Everytime I was forced to kill a dozen people I was like "uuuuughh"

[quote name='whoknows']There's a little side exploring in tombs. It tells you when you're near one, otherwise it's very straightforward. You won't ever get lost.

All upgrades that let you get to new areas are unlocked throughout the story.

The shooting parts are the worst parts IMO. They aren't bad, but just jumping around and climbing things was far more fun to me. Everytime I was forced to kill a dozen people I was like "uuuuughh"[/QUOTE]

You didn't like the bow? I didn't mind killing people, but I do wish that the encounters had more weight to them. I suppose it is just the nature of the game and the genre that they don't.

whoknows is right in that the game isn't just a straight up uncharted rip off. It is like Uncharted + Arkham + RE

[quote name='CaseyRyback']You didn't like the bow? I didn't mind killing people, but I do wish that the encounters had more weight to them. I suppose it is just the nature of the game and the genre that they don't.

whoknows is right in that the game isn't just a straight up uncharted rip off. It is like Uncharted + Arkham + RE[/QUOTE]

RE4-6 were well received by me.
Both Arkham games are classics in my book.
I like a good deal of Uncharted, but don't hold the "best" of it in the same regards as others.

Still, sounds like it's definitely worth a spin on Steam or on PS3 when I'm given the right opportunity to grab it.

The weird part about the comparisons to Arkham games for me is that I think of the freeflow combat as the defining gameplay mechanic for that series, so trying to imagine it with guns or weapons instead of that is just strange to me.

Yeah you should Frosty. It's worth a spin.

The bow is badass. Love that weapon. Hunger Games, lol. fuck that book and movie for making me think that every time I saw Lara with it, it's awesome.

[quote name='corrosivefrost']RE4-6 were well received by me.
Both Arkham games are classics in my book.
I like a good deal of Uncharted, but don't hold the "best" of it in the same regards as others.

Still, sounds like it's definitely worth a spin on Steam or on PS3 when I'm given the right opportunity to grab it.

The weird part about the comparisons to Arkham games for me is that I think of the freeflow combat as the defining gameplay mechanic for that series, so trying to imagine it with guns or weapons instead of that is just strange to me.[/QUOTE]

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/26/how-to-tell-if-youll-love-tomb-raider

This is pretty accurate. It does a good job of summing up the gameplay mechanics.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']You didn't like the bow? I didn't mind killing people, but I do wish that the encounters had more weight to them. I suppose it is just the nature of the game and the genre that they don't.

whoknows is right in that the game isn't just a straight up uncharted rip off. It is like Uncharted + Arkham + RE[/QUOTE]

I liked the bow, I just got tired of always fighting guys. I just didn't find that very fun. Especially since it felt like it happened way too often to me.

[quote name='whoknows']I liked the bow, I just got tired of always fighting guys. I just didn't find that very fun. Especially since it felt like it happened way too often to me.[/QUOTE]

I agree with that. Some more weight on fights and less frequent encounters would have been nice. If they don't do that, I am hoping that the next one includes some kind of stealth mechanic so that you can limit the amount of encounters if you wish to.

Tomb Raider was extremely hollywood which is why I don't think the Uncharted comparisons are all that inaccurate. It had some grittier subject matter and certainly had less humour, but it boiled down to your usual expedition turned nightmare sort of adventure, so I didn't take certain aspects all that seriously (such as unnatural amounts endurance and arm strength, lol). It's about explosions and running across crumbling bridges, and that was fine by me.

Some of my favorite parts were the quieter segments though, and the game puts you in all sorts of cool scenarios and places.

[quote name='panzerfaust']Tomb Raider was extremely hollywood which is why I don't think the Uncharted comparisons are all that inaccurate. It had some grittier subject matter and certainly had less humour, but it boiled down to your usual expedition turned nightmare sort of adventure, so I didn't take certain aspects all that seriously (such as unnatural amounts endurance and arm strength, lol). It's about explosions and running across crumbling bridges, and that was fine by me.

Some of my favorite parts were the quieter segments though, and the game puts you in all sorts of cool scenarios and places.[/QUOTE]

Speaking of quieter moments, one of my favorites was
sneaking in that large wooded area at night, quiet kills only, getting my Snake Eater on.
Pretty great change of pace.

[quote name='ActionKazimer']Speaking of quieter moments, one of my favorites was
sneaking in that large wooded area at night, quiet kills only, getting my Snake Eater on.
Pretty great change of pace.[/QUOTE]
It would've been more like Snake Eater if there had been a chain gun that she screams while using.

[quote name='The Crotch']Panzerfaustian bargain, have you ever watched the movie "Descent"?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, TR actually reminded me of it quite a bit. There's a scene they take straight out of that movie.

[quote name='ActionKazimer']Speaking of quieter moments, one of my favorites was
Pretty great change of pace.[/QUOTE]

Yeah for such a basic combat system, it was impressive to see how many different scenarios they could create with it. Loved that part.

Guacamelee! is fucking ridiculously awesome. Best $12 I spent on a full game in I don't even know how long.
Also, thus far, it's the best downloadable brawler (2D) and the best downloadable metroidvania type game :)cough:shadowcomplexwho?:cough:) I think I've ever played.
Drinkbox has their spot-on (for me) humor again, and the pop-culture references have been well done, unlike say... Retro City Rampage.
At first I was put off by the luchador theme, but it's grown on me, and this game is just fucking fabulous.
Not sure what the demo on PS3 offers, but try it out.

Whenever the exclusivity on Sony platforms is up (if ever), should it appear on Steam, I will buy it again instantly. Day fucking one. Drinkbox deserves the support.

I still think Retro City Rampages references were amazing, and I know that there's been talk on here of some of you not liking it, but I respectfully disagree, I really enjoyed that game. That said, I'll have to try this Guacamelee game out sometime, is there a demo for it?

My leg hurts soooooooooooo much for no reason.

I've been waiting for Guacamelee to come out.

Now I have to wait for it to get on sale.

Knew he sounded familiar -- Booker in Infinite is voiced by the same dude who did Snow in FFXIII. Nice change of pace after Nolan North being everywhere.

[quote name='mrspicytacoman']farcry 3 has a better narrative than tomb raider
feels more fluid and natural
has a nice earthly flavor to it[/QUOTE]

Lara has tits. Your argument is invalid.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']I agree with that. Some more weight on fights and less frequent encounters would have been nice. If they don't do that, I am hoping that the next one includes some kind of stealth mechanic so that you can limit the amount of encounters if you wish to.[/QUOTE]

I would certainly hope to see continued use of the stealth elements in the next game. I really didn't mind the encounters, but sometimes they use more of the "funnel you in to a certain spot" design which I totally hate. I guess I understand why, and at least they kept those parts spaced far enough out where it didn't become a problem for me, at least the way I played the game (more look for all the secrets and explore the level instead of blow through the story mode).

I dunno how they will address the next game's skill system though. I hope they don't do something contrived like make her bonk her head amnesia-style and forget everything so have to re-learn it again. :p

[quote name='MoCiWe']I still think Retro City Rampages references were amazing, and I know that there's been talk on here of some of you not liking it, but I respectfully disagree, I really enjoyed that game. That said, I'll have to try this Guacamelee game out sometime, is there a demo for it?[/QUOTE]

Yes, there is a PS3 demo, it's the full game, just needs an unlock key. Not sure what the demo covers, but the game is worth the $12 I paid.

And I still think RCR was garbage.
I got it for free and I still can't be bothered to play it.

[quote name='Indignate']My leg hurts soooooooooooo much for no reason.

I've been waiting for Guacamelee to come out.

Now I have to wait for it to get on sale.[/QUOTE]

It's on sale now if you're PS+. $12 instead of $15. Totally a steal and worth supporting the devs. I haven't put it down since I started it up.

bread's done
Back