GGT 241 The One stop Station where MS/Sony help Nintendo win the future

I guess more of what I was thinking was along the line of "weren't discussed yet", but for confirmed things lack of BC as you said is the biggest thing that I see people complaining about, then I've seen people complain about a lot of the more social features while Sony is also going to have some of them. It just seems like while Microsoft attempted (and did a bad job) at answering some of the DRM/Online/Used questions, but Sony didn't exactly answer every question the best they could either, with both of them saying we will have more info in the future. Some of the complaints I'm reading I agree with such as having to always have the new Kinect on, but then when I think about it my Kinect now is always plugged in anyways so it's not a huge difference for me. I'm not really trying to attack/defend either company right now though, moreso just voicing how I'm seeing things looking around various different websites and forums. I'm waiting for E3 to see a lot more news on both systems (and stuff on the Wii U for that matter) before I decide which one to buy, since to me seeing all of these specs and side features really don't mean much at all if I don't know enough about the games. I'm not just going to buy one because it has better specs or because it does one thing better when the games for it might not be as good.

The lack of BC with the PS4 is the reason I'm not buying at launch, but I will get it eventually since I'll be keeping my PS3 and I'll need the PS4 for MGS and fighting games since I'm pretty sure no one here is going to switch to the One for them. Sony answered the Used/DRM questions good enough for me. If they had initially planned on surprising us with the same thing that MS did yesterday then I'm sure the backlash would make them change their stance.

[quote name='MoCiWe']I guess more of what I was thinking was along the line of "weren't discussed yet", but for confirmed things lack of BC as you said is the biggest thing that I see people complaining about, then I've seen people complain about a lot of the more social features while Sony is also going to have some of them. It just seems like while Microsoft attempted (and did a bad job) at answering some of the DRM/Online/Used questions, but Sony didn't exactly answer every question the best they could either, with both of them saying we will have more info in the future. Some of the complaints I'm reading I agree with such as having to always have the new Kinect on, but then when I think about it my Kinect now is always plugged in anyways so it's not a huge difference for me. I'm not really trying to attack/defend either company right now though, moreso just voicing how I'm seeing things looking around various different websites and forums. I'm waiting for E3 to see a lot more news on both systems (and stuff on the Wii U for that matter) before I decide which one to buy, since to me seeing all of these specs and side features really don't mean much at all if I don't know enough about the games. I'm not just going to buy one because it has better specs or because it does one thing better when the games for it might not be as good.[/QUOTE]

Unless something drastically changes, I think the PS4 requires the disc to be in the drive unless it's a digital download. Sort of like the 360 install mechanism now, where it checks the disc at boot and then runs off the HDD (if it even installs, we don't know exactly). However, Sony has said it will run used games without announcing anything so tricky or potentially absurd as what MS has already tried to announce and refuses to clarify.

That's another thing is now that MS has time to read all of the comments out they will have time to change stance on some of the stuff they are just throwing random answers at right now, since originally it might have been something else but now they are just saying stuff until they fix it lol. It also can help Sony in reality since if they were planning on doing any similar stuff they might see a reason not to after this. I'm sure in the long run I will eventually get both of the systems anyways even if it is just for exclusives, I play my fighting games and MGS (except 4 :p) on my 360 now already so it's not as big of a change for me to continue with that. I don't know, I guess I'm just not jumping to conclusions as fast as most people are when it comes to all of this, like I said before I'm just going to wait it out and see what happens.

[quote name='corrosivefrost']Unless something drastically changes, I think the PS4 requires the disc to be in the drive unless it's a digital download. Sort of like the 360 install mechanism now, where it checks the disc at boot and then runs off the HDD (if it even installs, we don't know exactly). However, Sony has said it will run used games without announcing anything so tricky or potentially absurd as what MS has already tried to announce and refuses to clarify.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's like MS is trying some PC/console hybrid thing for the way the games work. I'm okay with not needing the disc in though since it sounds like you should be able to have multiple games up at once, like one the things I read was while waiting to find an online match you could have a second game running and play that while waiting, and that is actually really neat for me since I do a good amount of online/waiting for my friends. Since they are forcing installs I do like not having to keep the disc in more then how the PS3 did it at least personally.

[quote name='MoCiWe']That's another thing is now that MS has time to read all of the comments out they will have time to change stance on some of the stuff they are just throwing random answers at right now, since originally it might have been something else but now they are just saying stuff until they fix it lol. It also can help Sony in reality since if they were planning on doing any similar stuff they might see a reason not to after this. I'm sure in the long run I will eventually get both of the systems anyways even if it is just for exclusives, I play my fighting games and MGS (except 4 :p) on my 360 now already so it's not as big of a change for me to continue with that. I don't know, I guess I'm just not jumping to conclusions as fast as most people are when it comes to all of this, like I said before I'm just going to wait it out and see what happens.

Yeah, it's like MS is trying some PC/console hybrid thing for the way the games work. I'm okay with not needing the disc in though since it sounds like you should be able to have multiple games up at once, like one the things I read was while waiting to find an online match you could have a second game running and play that while waiting, and that is actually really neat for me since I do a good amount of online/waiting for my friends. Since they are forcing installs I do like not having to keep the disc in more then how the PS3 did it at least personally.[/QUOTE]

I need to see the exclusives and new IPs at E3.
If they have like 6 games I'm hyped about, I may change my mind.
But as it currently stands, I will be PC/PS3/handhelds (and 360, I guess :roll:) until price cuts and redesigns have occurred. Neither of these things has justified their existence to me yet.

[quote name='corrosivefrost']I need to see the exclusives and new IPs at E3.
If they have like 6 games I'm hyped about, I may change my mind.
But as it currently stands, I will be PC/PS3/handhelds (and 360, I guess :roll:) until price cuts and redesigns have occurred. Neither of these things has justified their existence to me yet.[/QUOTE]

That's a fair reason that I will agree with for sure. I'm honestly in the same boat when it comes to just wanting to see the games/exclusives on all of the systems. Both systems right now have features I like and features I don't. I'm excited to see what Rares game is since there's a chance it will be something awesome, even though it could potentially be terrible, but that's something we will have to wait and see.

What's the best way to get Nintendo eShop points? Is there still a difference that I have to pay attention to (like Wii vs. DSi?) or can I just buy a generic eShop points card? I've not really played that much of my 3DS, but I know I want the Oracle Zelda games (and should grab Link's Awakening while I'm at it). I'm curious to see if Link's Awakening will be a gold/platinum reward choice, but I think the Oracle games, which are on sale for a short time after they release, won't be a prize or a purchasable reward any time soon.

I usually otherwise just buy them at GameStop or purchase them directly on the 3DS. I don't know if you've ever done that before but they allow you to do a charge on your card for the exact amount of the games, that's usually what I end up doing.

These are the cards you would need to look for if you want to pick up an actual card though, since Nintendo does have various different point systems out.

http://cdn2-b.examiner.com/sites/de...a3162f9146df2d78b2ab35d87a0.jpg?itok=-k52WgiM

[quote name='MoCiWe']I usually otherwise just buy them at GameStop or purchase them directly on the 3DS. I don't know if you've ever done that before but they allow you to do a charge on your card for the exact amount of the games, that's usually what I end up doing.

These are the cards you would need to look for if you want to pick up an actual card though, since Nintendo does have various different point systems out.

http://cdn2-b.examiner.com/sites/de...a3162f9146df2d78b2ab35d87a0.jpg?itok=-k52WgiM[/QUOTE]

Balls. I like buying my PSN codes from Best Buy/Amazon/Gamestop... was hoping to do the same with my 3DS. :|

[quote name='corrosivefrost']Balls. I like buying my PSN codes from Best Buy/Amazon/Gamestop... was hoping to do the same with my 3DS. :|[/QUOTE]

It's still a code just a scratch off one like the retail 360/PS3 cards.

[quote name='MSUHitman']It's still a code just a scratch off one like the retail 360/PS3 cards.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but I think that means I have to deal with shipping and wait for mail carriers. :p

[quote name='corrosivefrost']Yeah, but I think that means I have to deal with shipping and wait for mail carriers. :p[/QUOTE]

Yup.

[quote name='MoCiWe']I'll be getting Bayonetta, Wonderful101, Wind Waker HD, new Zelda, new Smash, new Mario Kart, and the new 3d Mario when they come out. For more soonish games I'll pick up Pikmin 3 and potentially Game and Wario since it launches at 40 and I've always enjoyed the WarioWare games.[/QUOTE]

How was SMT x Fire Emblem or the game monolit.Is working on not mentioned?

I had no interest in Wii u but now its probably going to be my first next gen purchase

I was reading around online and found this on the GameFAQs forum, I remember somebody here saying they wanted Crackdown 3, apparantly there was a Crackdown symbol on the dashboard for the Xbox One during the presentation, can be seen here on the bottom left: http://www.abload.de/img/crackdownsrqmf.jpg

[quote name='Rumors']How was SMT x Fire Emblem or the game monolit.Is working on not mentioned?

I had no interest in Wii u but now its probably going to be my first next gen purchase[/QUOTE]

You got me, both of those games can be added to that list. I was just thinking about that I've heard more about lately I guess, haven't really seen anything on those two since the Nintendo Direct a while back but I am definitely interested in both of those as well.

Yeah, I hate to say it but Wii U looks like the first "next gen" console I"ll get as well.

Not that I'm getting one any time soon, of course, but just the nature of the beast.

@mo
That's true, wasn't really trying to attack anyone fyi but those two games are probably system sellers for me.

I hear that gunm, got enough to play now anyhow. I won't buy a Wii u right away but I may pounce at first price drop if its substantial enough.

[quote name='gunm']Yeah, I hate to say it but Wii U looks like the first "next gen" console I"ll get as well.

Not that I'm getting one any time soon, of course, but just the nature of the beast.[/QUOTE]

HAHAHA.

Neither am I, but it's probably a pretty safe bet that the first one I buy won't be a WiiU or an Xbone.

TWbHsU9.png

I have two 8th Gen Consoles so far (Wii U, Ouya). So far it looks like I'm getting a PS4 and not a Xbox One. The required internet connection of the Xbox One is a huge problem for me. I don't want a useless brick whenever the Xbox One servers go dark and their shift in philosophy is very disconcerting.

I understand the hatred towards the always online (well, kinda always...whatever they are doing >.>) thing, but I guess it really doesn't bother me as much, I'd prefer it not having that. But I am always connected right now, and if a server or such goes down like you said I'll just hop over to my Wii U or whatever else I have when that happens. It will suck more for people with a bad connection/people who don't have other systems more though and I fully understand that.

[quote name='Rumors']@mo
That's true, wasn't really trying to attack anyone fyi but those two games are probably system sellers for me.
[/QUOTE]

Don't worry, I didn't take it that way at all :). You actually reminded me of some more games so that's great since it makes owning the Wii U that much more worthwhile for me.

[quote name='MoCiWe']I was reading around online and found this on the GameFAQs forum, I remember somebody here saying they wanted Crackdown 3, apparantly there was a Crackdown symbol on the dashboard for the Xbox One during the presentation, can be seen here on the bottom left: http://www.abload.de/img/crackdownsrqmf.jpg
[/QUOTE]
WOOO! Hope that means Crackdown 3! God, I want that so bad.

[quote name='CaptainJoel']WOOO! Hope that means Crackdown 3! God, I want that so bad.[/QUOTE]

Even if it's a continuation of the downward spiral that was 2?

[quote name='corrosivefrost']Even if it's a continuation of the downward spiral that was 2?[/QUOTE]
Crackdown 2 may not have been as good as the first, but it was still a lot of fun to co-op. Especially in the Horde DLC.

[quote name='CaptainJoel']Crackdown 2 may not have been as good as the first, but it was still a lot of fun to co-op. Especially in the Horde DLC.[/QUOTE]

I would like to think that 2 was just a rush job by a side studio that was borne from people who left the original studio. I still liked two, but it didn't bring anything good to the table.

If Hip Games is looking to get into the next gen business, I think they could do a nice collaboration with Infinity Ward:

dl2_zps48e4d4a3.jpg

[quote name='CaptainJoel']Crackdown 2 may not have been as good as the first, but it was still a lot of fun to co-op. Especially in the Horde DLC.[/QUOTE]

I remember the hype with the release of the demo, then seemingly everyone hated the demo and I don't think it sold well.

Reception

The game has received mixed to positive reviews. GameSpot gave the game a 7 out of 10, praising the game's exploration, orb collecting and four-player co-op, while criticizing its similarities to its predecessor.[18] IGN gave the game a 7.5 out of 10, also faulting it for similarities to its predecessor and its absence of a true story, but also complimenting its orb collecting and cooperative campaign.[19] Giant Bomb gave the game 3 out of 5 stars, stating that while the game was enjoyable, too much was lifted from the first game and little new was added.[20] Destructoid gave the game a negative review, rating it a 4.5/10 and criticizing its similarities to the previous game, while also noting new issues not present in the original. The writer said that the game "has no real reason to exist."[21] GameTrailers praised the game's addictive Orb collecting, but criticized its lack of story or structure. The game currently holds a 70 out of 100 rating on Metacritic based on reviews, indicating mostly positive reviews but with almost a third negative.[22]

Gonna start the Dead Space series of games this weekend. I have not played any of them yet, so I am looking forward to experiencing some sci-fi horror. I will start with the PS3's port of the Wii rail shooter which I believe is a prequel, right? I have all the games except DS 3, but I plan to get it by the time I finish DS 2.

[quote name='Krymner']Gonna start the Dead Space series of games this weekend. I have not played any of them yet, so I am looking forward to experiencing some sci-fi horror. I will start with the PS3's port of the Wii rail shooter which I believe is a prequel, right? I have all the games except DS 3, but I plan to get it by the time I finish DS 2.[/QUOTE]

I might personally start with DS1 and then move to Extraction. I think DS1 does a better job of introducing you to the world and it's devices, but you'll probably be fine either way.

[quote name='j-cart']Totally watch the Dead Space animated feature and motion comic. Then decide if you want to play Dead Space.[/QUOTE]

nononononoNONONONONONONO.

[quote name='j-cart']Totally watch the Dead Space animated feature and motion comic. Then decide if you want to play Dead Space.[/QUOTE]

I agree.

The second dead space movie is even better than the first!

[quote name='j-cart']GUYS! FF14 re-released on August 27![/QUOTE]

Time to move on from SWTOR?

I am curious to see how it plays on PS3.

[quote name='MoCiWe']I remember signing up for the PS3 beta for that a while ago, did that ever happen?[/QUOTE]

It did happen, so you were not the chosen one.

[quote name='Krymner']Time to move on from SWTOR?

I am curious to see how it plays on PS3.[/QUOTE]

Nope, not gonna give up SWTOR and the PS3 version is more than likely going to be just fine. I am on the MMO kick right now and I've been trying a whole bunch of different ones. I never bothered before because I could never get into the whole "WoW" style fantasy. Weird though, I love the art of FF and can totally get into that kind of fantasy style than the western style.

Still a huge fan of SWTOR and I mainly PvP in that game. FF14 with be primarily be PvE and the PS3 crossplay helps alot when trying to play with friends.

[quote name='j-cart']It did happen, so you were not the chosen one.
[/QUOTE]

Ah, that sucks. Is there going to be another shot to try it before it launches or will I have to buy the disc and hope I like it?

[quote name='MoCiWe']Ah, that sucks. Is there going to be another shot to try it before it launches or will I have to buy the disc and hope I like it?[/QUOTE]

There might be another phase, but they are only short weekend stress tests and not actual betas.

Just know that if you plan to play FF14 solo, you most likely will not enjoy the game. It is purely a party game and it is expected of players to get parties of 8 to go questing with.

[quote name='corrosivefrost']I remember the hype with the release of the demo, then seemingly everyone hated the demo and I don't think it sold well.[/QUOTE]
While I can understand their issues with the game, I don't think copying the first game is necessarily a bad thing. My most favorite part was probably the colored armors. They were so fucking awesome that I preordered just to get the special colors. Really, really hoping for a new one for Xbone. It would probably be the biggest temptation for me since I think I've had enough Halo for a while and I don't think Rare's going to drop a new Conker on the system.

Boooooooooooooo that gif sucks!

[quote name='j-cart']There might be another phase, but they are only short weekend stress tests and not actual betas.

Just know that if you plan to play FF14 solo, you most likely will not enjoy the game. It is purely a party game and it is expected of players to get parties of 8 to go questing with.[/QUOTE]

8 people? Wow, I was just planning on trying it out with a small group of friends, that might not happen if that's the case....

bread's done
Back