Gran Turismo 5 - 1000+ Cars! - 1/6: GT5 XL Edition w/DLC & Spec 2.0 - 1/17 - $39.99

[quote name='VipFREAK']PSP GT was originally suppose to come out like 5 years ago or whatever with gt4... That's why.[/QUOTE]

I know that's why. I'm worried that it is going to be the same story with GT5. Cars that were modelled three or four years ago are no longer going to be the newest, shiniest things around.

It wasn't always this way, Gran Turismo 2 launched in late '99 in Japan and included tons of 2000 model year cars with the S2000 being their "flagship" car for the game.

dOOd... If they are JUST now getting to damage like I've heard people speculating and they've had THIS MUCH TIME... I wouldn't hold my breath... There's "taking your time" and then there's "taking your time" you know what I am saying... ?

If it makes you all feel any better Kaz just competed in the 24hrs at Nurburgring and came in 60th (4th in class) managing to pass 114 cars from his starting psoition in 174th. So...yeah. At least hes keeping busy somehow.

It amazes me that people are so concerned about PDs development schedule, It will come out someday, and when it does it will be the best racing game ever. So hold tight, play some Socom or NHL in the meantime

[quote name='Halo05']I don't think many people want GT5 to be rushed but people are concerned that PD has really gotten to the point of diminishing returns. GT on PSP can be seen as evidence of this.

The cars in PSP GT are at least a few years old, indicating that while the models were completed, the team apparently wasn't happy with the physics models (or tracks, who knows?) and kept tweaking, and tweaking, and tweaking. By the time the game came out, the physics were fine, the game looks great, but all the cars are outdated.

Yeah, there are still some classics there that I certainly don't want replaced but where's the 370Z, the new Camaro, the new Challenger, the Evolution 10? They didn't make it in because PD spent too long messing around with stuff that 99% of people wouldn't notice. It obviously wouldn't have been a problem if PSP GT came out in 2007 but it was pretty jarring in late 2009.[/QUOTE]
PSP GT was a rush port of PS2 assets. They just took assets from GT 4 and threw them onto PSP, that's why the models look so bad/old. GT PSP was never in development for years. They worked on GT 5 P and GT 5 during the time since GT 4 and also all the trailers they had to do. They did not work on GT PSP much at all and not until very recently when they realized they would need to delay GT 5 again to outdo Forza 3.

This is further supported by the fact that they did not do a career mode for it. Port the assets, get it working, boom done and ready for PSP Go launch like Sony probably strongly requested - especially with the long dev cycle on GT 5. And further supported by the fact that you saw nothing from GT PSP until just before it launched.

[quote name='VipFREAK']dOOd... If they are JUST now getting to damage like I've heard people speculating and they've had THIS MUCH TIME... I wouldn't hold my breath... There's "taking your time" and then there's "taking your time" you know what I am saying... ?[/QUOTE]

They've had damage in it for a while, but they're making the damage a lot better than it was. And with shitloads of cars that takes time too. They may only have damage on race spec cars or at least not every single car still by the time it's done.

[quote name='J7.']PSP GT was a rush port of PS2 assets. They just took assets from GT 4 and threw them onto PSP, that's why the models look so bad/old. GT PSP was never in development for years. They worked on GT 5 P and GT 5 during the time since GT 4 and also all the trailers they had to do. They did not work on GT PSP much at all and not until very recently when they realized they would need to delay GT 5 again to outdo Forza 3.

This is further supported by the fact that they did not do a career mode for it. Port the assets, get it working, boom done and ready for PSP Go launch like Sony probably strongly requested - especially with the long dev cycle on GT 5. And further supported by the fact that you saw nothing from GT PSP until just before it launched.[/QUOTE]

Spouting nonsense I see? GT PSP looked pretty damn good considering the detail in the cars and track. The cars themselves were exceptionally smooth for a PSP game, not as jagged as you usually see. Load times were short and while the career mode, or there lack of, was a bit disappointing, it is a great title for pick-up-and-play...aka portable ;)

[quote name='SynGamer']Spouting nonsense I see? GT PSP looked pretty damn good considering the detail in the cars and track. The cars themselves were exceptionally smooth for a PSP game, not as jagged as you usually see. Load times were short and while the career mode, or there lack of, was a bit disappointing, it is a great title for pick-up-and-play...aka portable ;)[/QUOTE]I agree with this, it was a great game. Especially considering I got it for 9.99 back in December. ;)

[quote name='SynGamer']Spouting nonsense I see? GT PSP looked pretty damn good considering the detail in the cars and track. The cars themselves were exceptionally smooth for a PSP game, not as jagged as you usually see. Load times were short and while the career mode, or there lack of, was a bit disappointing, it is a great title for pick-up-and-play...aka portable ;)[/QUOTE]

It was obvious it was thrown together quickly just using PS2 assets. I'm not saying it didn't look good. It could've looked better if it was given full development cycle. It had just about the same exact tracks and cars as GT 4 too... Would seem fishy if it had the same career mode as GT 4... Not saying it's a bad game at all. It's great.

Specs for the PS2 and PSP below;

PS2
CPU
- MIPS IV-subset, 128-bit SIMD, 24KB cache
- A few co-processors
- 300MHz
- 6.2 GFLOPS
GPU
- 150MHz
- 38.4 gigabytes per second eDRAM bandwidth (19.2 GB/s in each direction)
- 2.4 gigapixels per second (no texture)
- 75 million polygons per second (small polygon)

PSP
CPU
- MIPS R4000 32-Bit Core, 128 bits bus
- 333MHz @ 1.2V
- 2.6 GFlops
GPU
- 166MHz
- 5.3 gigabytes per second
- 664 million pixels per second
- 33 million polygons per second

So yeah, the PSP is *slightly* less powerful, yet it looks just as good as GT4, which was one of the best looking games on the PS2. GT PSP was announced back in 2004, I'm pretty sure if "it was thrown together quickly just using PS2 assets" it would have looked worse considering the PSP isn't quite up to speed with the PS2 (but close).Also, if they threw this together quickly, it would have been out before 2009. I mean, it's common sense. I'm guessing this was a game that was partially done for about 3 years before they finally sat down and finished the game for release in 2009.

Yes, I wish the game had an actual career mode, but at the same time they gave us something that can be played in short bursts, which is ideal for a portable gaming system such as the PSP.

[quote name='SynGamer']Specs for the PS2 and PSP below;

So yeah, the PSP is *slightly* less powerful, yet it looks just as good as GT4, which was one of the best looking games on the PS2. GT PSP was announced back in 2004, I'm pretty sure if "it was thrown together quickly just using PS2 assets" it would have looked worse considering the PSP isn't quite up to speed with the PS2 (but close).Also, if they threw this together quickly, it would have been out before 2009. I mean, it's common sense. I'm guessing this was a game that was partially done for about 3 years before they finally sat down and finished the game for release in 2009.

Yes, I wish the game had an actual career mode, but at the same time they gave us something that can be played in short bursts, which is ideal for a portable gaming system such as the PSP.[/QUOTE]

PSP is just as powerful as PS2. Even if we go by your specs, PS2 is slightly better but not enough to be noticeable. Then you have to consider that PS2 has to fill more than twice the area at 640 x 480 while PSP only has to draw 480x272. 307,200 versus 130,560! PS2 has to fill 2.35 more pixel area.

But the x-factor here is that developers have had a lot of time working with these specs ever since PS2 was released in 2000. They know how to get stuff made for these specs and how to make it run well. Furthermore, PSP is easier to program for than PS2. So they can get more out of it more easily and with less time spent. You add all of this and you see that games on PSP easily rival PS2 games and even outperform them at times, with smaller budgets and shorter development cycles.

Then factor in that GT 4 came out in Feb 2005 & GT PSP came out almost 5 years later. While God of War CoO on PSP came out 1 year after God of War II and many say it looks better than GoW 2... Surely PD had the ability to make GT PSP look better than GT 4 when GT 4 is 5 years old and they had all that time, while God of War CoO was released only a year after GoW II and was in development for 2 years. Then consider that the reason the graphics look better despite using PS2 assets is that you cannot notice aliasing on the PSP screen anywhere near you can with PS2 on a tv.

If PD was working on GT 5 all this time and did not have time to work on GT PSP, why do you think it would have been released earlier... Even 1 through 4 years ago when Kaz was asked about GT PSP he had nothing to say on it and I believe he actually said they were not working on it at the time... It makes more sense that Sony was getting upset with the schedule of GT 5 and also really needed something to promote PSP Go's launch so they really pressured PD to get GT PSP done for the launch. Why would it look worse if it's PS2 assets optimized on PSP?!

You take everything I have written here and in my previous posts and it makes a helluva lot more common sense than just believing that the game was in development for many years and still only looked as good as it does and still only has the same exact tracks and almost the same exact cars as GT 4 with no career mode, no online, & still 4 cars per race, or that it was in development for years and then just shelved for a year or two before they decided to finish it.

No career mode is okay, but I don't think that was by design, rather necessity given the development time & using GT 4 assets for 98% of the game.

And what did I just read just now...
"During an interview at E3, it was revealed that tracks featured in the game are directly sourced from Gran Turismo 4 and Tourist Trophy, while the game's physics engine is based on Gran Turismo 5 Prologue." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GT_PSP#cite_note-gamereactor_interview-10

So they took the PS2 assets from those games and just threw in the coding for the physics from GT 5 P... Hmm... They are willing to confirm that publicly... you know they're holding back some info... would be stupid to admit using PS2 assets for everything besides the physics which is just drag and drop for the most part.

The point is that GT4 was one of the best looking games on the PS2...therefore, if the PS2 is slightly more powerful than the PSP, then how can GT PSP look better than GT4? Think about it. Just because they have more time doesn't mean they can magically make the PSP more powerful.

[quote name='SynGamer']The point is that GT4 was one of the best looking games on the PS2...therefore, if the PS2 is slightly more powerful than the PSP, then how can GT PSP look better than GT4? Think about it. Just because they have more time doesn't mean they can magically make the PSP more powerful.[/QUOTE]

I don't think GT PSP was "thrown together," but I don't doubt it was a very small team within working on it for a while. It was not a huge priority, like say GT5.

[quote name='SynGamer']The point is that GT4 was one of the best looking games on the PS2...therefore, if the PS2 is slightly more powerful than the PSP, then how can GT PSP look better than GT4? Think about it. Just because they have more time doesn't mean they can magically make the PSP more powerful.[/QUOTE]

Think about what I posted. You entirely ignored what I just posted. Main points again:

-PS2 has to fill 2.5 times more pixel area (PSP has less to draw, therefore having less powerful CPU & GPU, it can actually create better graphics when there's so much less to draw)

-Developers have worked on this hardware for 10 years, they've learned how to make it tick... And PSP is easier to program for.

-GT 4 is 5 years old AND they had a lot of time to develop GT PSP. While God of War CoO was only 1 year after GoW 2 and was only in development for 2 years...

-You cannot notice aliasing on PSP anywhere near as much as you can on tv with PS2.

-Makes no sense to almost finish the game and then wait 3 years.

-Kaz admitted in interviews that GT PSP was on the backburner the past 1-4 years.

-Sony wanted something for PSP Go launch and PD was definitely a developer that was taking a lot of time on 1 project and is the developer Sony looks to for showcasing PS products.

-PS2 assets optimized for PSP would not look worse than those assets on PS2.

-GT PSP has exact same tracks, almost exact same cars, no career mode, no online, still 4 cars per race.

-"During an interview at E3, it was revealed that tracks featured in the game are directly sourced from Gran Turismo 4 and Tourist Trophy, while the game's physics engine is based on Gran Turismo 5 Prologue." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GT_PSP#...r_interview-10

-They are willing to confirm that publicly... you know they're holding back some info... would be stupid to admit using PS2 assets for everything besides the physics which is just drag and drop for the most part.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/06/15/it%e2%80%99s-official-gran-turismo-5-is-coming-november-2-2010/

That’s right. At the Sony E3 press conference today at the Shrine Auditorium, SCEA President & CEO Jack Tretton unveiled a jaw-dropping showpiece trailer of Gran Turismo 5 that disclosed the big news – GT5 is officially coming on November, 2, 2010.

As you can expect from any Gran Turismo game, GT5 will be bigger and better than ever, including everything from 950+ cars to a new and improved online component with expansive community features and custom race lobbies. Before you head off to pre-order the game that every racing fan is going to be playing, you’ll need to decide which version you’re going to get: the standard edition or the limited Collector’s Edition. And if you’re a true Gran Turismo fan, of course you’ll want to pick up the Collector’s Edition.

Gran Turismo doesn’t cut corners, and neither does this Collector’s Edition. It’s packed full of must-have items that were picked and designed for true car lovers: an exclusive 1:43 scale diecast Nissan GT-R Spec V, an in-depth 300-page car guide, a GT-branded key chain, a voucher for five (5) DLC cars, and a numbered certificate of authenticity, all housed in stylish, premium packaging. And you get all that for $99.99 MSRP.

The included diecast car is an exclusive 1:43 scale 2009 Nissan GT-R Spec V with a custom Gran Turismo livery designed by Polyphony Digital, produced by well-known collectible car maker Kyosho, who have been making some of the best collectible diecast cars for over 20 years. The 300+ page exclusive Collector’s Edition book from Polyphony Digital will be essential reading for GT fans, containing everything from the history of the automobile, to driving techniques, professional racing tips, car and engine basics and tuning know-how, and reference data about Gran Turismo 5. I want to warn you that the Collector’s Edition has a limited run, so pre-order it quickly if you want to guarantee your copy.

The exciting pre-order program for Gran Turismo 5 offers exclusive and beautiful in-game cars as bonuses, including the Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG, Nissan GT-R GT500, McLaren F1, and more. Each car features an exclusive and stylish Gran Turismo-themed “stealth” livery custom-designed by Polyphony Digital, with select performance upgrades over the standard versions of the cars available in the game. Pre-orders offers will be coming soon at participating retailers for both the standard and Collector’s Edition versions.

Last but certainly not least, here is the brand new trailer for Gran Turismo 5 that debuted just a short while ago at Sony E3 press conference. Get a glimpse of some of the thrilling racing Gran Turismo 5 will offer, featuring World Rally Championship rally cars kicking up dust clouds at night, SuperGT cars racing through scenic Europe, NASCAR cars jockeying for position, the Stig on the Top Gear test track, and much more.

In the coming months leading up to launch, we’ll be sharing new game features and new cars and tracks. In case you missed it, be sure to go check out the full-length version of the GT retrospective trailer that debuted here on the PS blog. For those of you who fondly remember GT, this one’s for you.

Keep checking the Gran Turismo website for the latest screenshots, detailed information on the game, and other Gran Turismo-related news.

PD works fast. Looks like the NASCAR cars have been updated with the new spoiler.

38883831.png

Special edition looks tempting. I like the model, book sounds awesome, and I would like to rock a Gran Turismo key chain with my keys. 100 bucks does not sound too bad right about now after all this waiting.

Book sounds awesome, but I have had the regular edition pre-ordered (with ECA) for like a year now. Don't want to lose my discount. Maybe I'll get lucky and find one on clearance or something.

The collector's edition sounds great, but likely as with all these special editions, they'll be on clearance and sold for less than the regular edition within 3-6 months.

Now, is this 950 unique car models or is this 950 cars including variations? Like there was in the PSP GT (I remember reading that a GT40 with a stripes and one without the strips were count as two different cars)?

[quote name='VipFREAK']Do I need to post the GRiD vs GT4 video again? lol[/QUOTE]
Because we know that Gran Turismo 5 is going to be exactly like Gran Turismo 5 Prologue. :whistle2:?

Another lame CE for $40 over the regular price, full of useless stuff except for the book and cars that will end up being available at some point if they're even worth it, which I doubt since it's just different paint jobs and performance upgrades that are probably nearly the same. Why not give us Motor Toon, GT 1, or Omega Boost in high definition or the soundtrack or a nice making of that shows PD's awesome studio or some car video from a partner.

Been shopping for a 370Z recently and the dealership actually had a GT-R on their show floor. Thing is sexy as hell and was fun to sit in.

[quote name='FroMann']Because we know that Gran Turismo 5 is going to be exactly like Gran Turismo 5 Prologue. :whistle2:?[/QUOTE]

Yeah there's gonna be more improvements like damage and cars and whatever, but I have a feeling it's still gonna be lifeless, sterile, and clinical driving... Not racing.

i love GT and cars, but the collectors edition don't seem that great. 1/43 is pretty small and i already have bigger diecast models of the gt-r, the key chain is ...eh shoulda been carbon fiber or something. the dlc is not that important. so that just leaves the book which i'm not to sure how it will be like. It'll be either awesome or a big hint book, but either way a book for 40 extra?

I don't know about that book. The game probably has all that info in it already. I would have got it if the game came in a metal case like the Modern Warefare 2 tin case. Thats pretty weak for an extra 40 bucks so hopefully they make the game case metal or add vouchers for gran turismo 1 and 2 and then i might think about it.

[quote name='Mr. 420']I don't know about that book. The game probably has all that info in it already. I would have got it if the game came in a metal case like the Modern Warefare 2 tin case. Thats pretty weak for an extra 40 bucks so hopefully they make the game case metal or add vouchers for gran turismo 1 and 2 and then i might think about it.[/QUOTE]
Not really. Die-cast cars that size by Kyosho cost $32 or more typically.

It's not bad value at all, it's merely something I'm not interested in.

Finally a release date! Now the Troll has to find something else to whine about..Oh wait, he already has a new case! GT5 is not racing!

Don't have anything better to do but find me, or be on that shitty game you worship that nobody else likes huh... ? You're that hurt still... ?

[quote name='VipFREAK']Don't have anything better to do but find me, or be on that shitty game you worship that nobody else likes huh... ? You're that hurt still... ?[/QUOTE]
Shhhhhh.
Don't speak cause your weak. Another example of why p eople should stop having kids!!!

Oh F it i got some coupons so i'm in for the collectors edition but i really hope they make the game case metal.

[quote name='VipFREAK']Don't have anything better to do but find me, or be on that shitty game you worship that nobody else likes huh... ? You're that hurt still... ?[/QUOTE]

What game do I worship? You are an idiot. Ive said it a million times. Socom Confrontation is trash. However, a busted ass Socom is still better than any other console shooter. Apparently you are too blind to see that. Find you? Right, since I come to the GT5 thread after a release date was announced. Hurt about what? That I am content with my life and gaming that I don't go around random forums and act like an immature idiot? You've got that covered for both of us.

Take your cat fight elsewhere because nobody cares.

I want the CE, because I want a tiny die-cast car to sit in front of the TV, plus it's has a numbered certificate of authenticity. Wow! I'm glad am a sucker for stuff that has no use but fun to look at for a day or two or three.

Also would anyone suggest getting a wheel for the game? I just don't want more plastic peripherals laying around the house.

[quote name='combatrhombus']Take your cat fight elsewhere because nobody cares.

I want the CE, because I want a tiny die-cast car to sit in front of the TV, plus it's has a numbered certificate of authenticity. Wow! I'm glad am a sucker for stuff that has no use but fun to look at for a day or two or three.

Also would anyone suggest getting a wheel for the game? I just don't want more plastic peripherals laying around the house.[/QUOTE]
Well you could get a playseat too, and then you wouldn't have just a plastic peripheral lying around. :lol:

[quote name='combatrhombus']Take your cat fight elsewhere because nobody cares.

Also would anyone suggest getting a wheel for the game? I just don't want more plastic peripherals laying around the house.[/QUOTE]

I am actually looking to pick up the CE, but only for the book. If anybody wants the car and some of the other other stuff, Id be looking to arrange something.

[quote name='FroMann']
First real video of the day to night cycle. Hopefully I can do this on tracks like Suzuka and race in the middle of the dark with only my headlights lighting up the track. :cool:[/QUOTE]

I was wondering why they kept making such a big deal about night racing on G4, seeing as how thats been a part of GT for a long time. An actual day night cycle though, now thats worth writing about.

Has anyone heard anything about CE exclusivity? I went to pre-order on Amazon and they have some kind of bonus, but no sign of the CE.

I just bought my Wheel Stand Pro today. It should be here next week. I can't wait to try it and my G27 (from the BB Sale) on GT:p and NFS: Shift! If anyone is interested, I can write up my thoughts about the stand next week after I play around with it. Or you can head to youtube or gtplanet where plenty of peeps have given their opinions.

Decided to reserve my copy now. I am just getting the regular edition since most collectors editions tend to collect dust after a month.

[quote name='FroMann']Decided to reserve my copy now. I am just getting the regular edition since most collectors editions tend to collect dust after a month.[/QUOTE]

i totally agree with you. except this CE is actually useful. its has knowledge from the pros/makers. there are probably tons of free sites or others books that you can buy with the same or more info. hell, the book might even be a pos.

Not only is GT 5 1080P & 60 FPS but it is also 1080P 60 FPS in 3D! Now that is fucking impressive.
http://n4g.com/news/546676/e3-2010-wait-what-gran-turismo-5s-3d-mode-is-1080p-too

Gran Turismo 5 will feature more than 1000 licensed cars from the world’s top manufacturers and more than 20 tracks with more than 70 variations, including famous world circuits, city courses, and other environments. The game will also feature real-time visual damage with adaptive and accurate car deformation based on point of impact and velocity. One of the main additions is a brand new online and community mode which features the ability to go head to head against up to 16 players, although there are also other online modes which allow you to host private races with lobbies supporting up to 32 players per lobby.Text and Voice chat will also be available online.

In addition to the above the game includes the following:
Various professional race modes from around the world such as NASCAR, World Rally Championship, Super GT and more. Two-player split/screen mode. Career mode returns with a full world map, licensed car dealerships, tuning and body shops, and car washes. Start your car collection, customize them to your liking, and live the life of a pro racer.

Compete in franchise mainstays like point-based Championship Race series and hone your skills with License Tests. Gran Turismo TV Video gives players access to an online clearinghouse of great motorsport video programming (both HD and SD – all broadcast quality) through PSN. Users can now export this content to the GT PSP Museum (GT PSP required). Photo Mode and Photo Album allows users to capture their greatest GT moments, and share with friends. Players can stage and capture stylish shots from a number of angles and locations.

Photo Album can be shared online, and the Online Replay Album lets players capture replay video from their favorite races and upload them to YouTube for the world to see. Players can create custom soundtracks from music stored on their PS3s to play in-game. Players who own Gran Turismo PSP and Gran Turismo 5 Prologue can transfer cars unlocked in that game directly to their garage in Gran Turismo 5 for use in Arcade Mode through special cross-talk interoperability. Gran Turismo 5 releases on November 2 in the US. We are still tracking down a EU date from Sony.

Compared to Forza 3
GT5 2x+ as many cars
GT5 2x as many online players per race
GT 5 2x as many cars per race
GT 5 head tracking
GT 5 track's have more detail and are more accurate to real life
Forza does not have deformation based on point of impact and velocity
Forza does not have the other game modes like Nascar, WRC, Super GT, etc
Forza does not have SD/HD TV shows about cars/racing
Forza does not have upload to youtube
Forza's graphics are inferior, probably the physics too
Forza does not have night time or dirt racing. GT has DYNAMIC night time racing & even tracks with rain on them.

bread's done
Back