Green Man Gaming (Steam) Deals: 25% Off Hitman

To rybrad (or anyone else with experience @ gmg):

How precisely does the "Permanently Low Prices, Guaranteed" work? I've lurked in their forums and don't believe that I've seen a formal reply from gmg that clarifies the rules (only found two questions, but no replies). Is it as simple as they state on their homepage?

"If you find a digital gaming product cheaper from our competitors outside of a dedicated promotion, we’ll price match the difference."

For example, what does "dedicated promotion" mean? Does this mean only if it's a sale for a particular title only ("Get Title Z for $XX.XX"), or if does it also include when a particular title within a particular publisher (e.g., "all Publisher X discounted Y%", but that particular day, title Z only is discounted the overall discount, but without added sale pricing?
Or... (I'm thinking this is most likely, but also least advantageous) does it simply mean if other retailers' regular price is lower than gmg then gmg will price match?

As an online-only retailer, d2d has a price match guarantee as well, but they have some rules beyond a single sentence, and I've also price matched at Fry's Elecronics B&M stores (saved a respectable sum with both retailers). Granted, both allow sale price to be matched as well... hence the request for "second opinion" from the the CAG community (and I've seen that there's a vocal and opinionated lot here :) ).

Best regards.

PS: rybrad, wanted to offer my thanks on your work in being unofficial helper to gmg here @ CAG; you deserve your referral discounts (simply my opinion; I have no affiliation with gmg in any manner).

[quote name='rybrad']Ok looks like GMG is going to be having a 28 days of zombie sales. I will update the OP later today with full details.

For now you can go to http://www.greenmangaming.com/promo/zombies/ and use the code EATIN-BRAIN-ZZZZZ for 15% off any of those titles. Some of those may be available using the 20% off code so try that first. This code should also work on Dead Island but the 20% off should still be working as well.[/QUOTE]

that code doesn't work on Dead Island

I think I'll just wait for another 20% off code and maybe grab Dead Island then

or how would this referral thing work? wouldn't they realize I made a second account?

[quote name='HotJuicyBurgers']Dead Island is steamworks correct? Because under the pre-order section i believe you forgot to say that it was[/QUOTE]

yes it is which is why they have this on the product page

[quote name='Green Man Gaming']This game requires Steam(TM) in order to install and run and so cannot be traded or refunded.[/quote]

I am really torn on Dead Island. I mean on one hand it looks and sounds fun. On the other hand the developer has not had a stellar track record, but Square Enix is publishing it.

I almost want to bite, but I guess I need more information on it.

Need to find out if GMG will give you a refund on a pre-order if you change your mind before release. The site says they can't refund Steamworks games but Steam itself has done it for me before. Want to get Dead Island but also don't want to get burned if it gets horrible reviews across the board.

[quote name='Killbomb']Need to find out if GMG will give you a refund on a pre-order if you change your mind before release. The site says they can't refund Steamworks games but Steam itself has done it for me before. Want to get Dead Island but also don't want to get burned if it gets horrible reviews across the board.[/QUOTE]
Watch any of the plethora of gameplay videos out there. It looks like Borderlands with zombies.

About the only thing they can do to botch it is poor co-op netcode.

[quote name='bluedeviltron']Watch any of the plethora of gameplay videos out there. It looks like Borderlands with zombies.

About the only thing they can do to botch it is poor co-op netcode.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I've watched plenty of videos but without actually playing a demo or something, it's still a crap shoot. With so many games coming out shortly, I don't want to spend $34 on a stinker.

[quote name='Killbomb']Yeah, I've watched plenty of videos but without actually playing a demo or something, it's still a crap shoot. With so many games coming out shortly, I don't want to spend $34 on a stinker.[/QUOTE]
Yeah. I seen the videos and it looks fun but I am still trying to justify $34 on this. Without a demo or anything or a chance at a refund I don't want to end up playing a shitty game.

@justinstyles
I haven't tried the price match before but my understanding is that they price match other deals unless they use a code. EG: If D2D has Skyrim for $10 they would price match that, if they had Skyrim listed as $60 with a code to get it for $10 then they would not price match.

@hotjuicyburgers
That is correct. I try to list out if a game uses Steamworks in the OP. I know that is an important consideration for a lot of people!

@buckythekat
Thanks for the heads-up on the code. Once the 20% one quits working (should last through this week) I will do some follow-up on other codes.

In regards to the second account, I set one up with a different email address and used a different payment method and it worked. I imagine if you use the same payment method it won't work but maybe worth a try.

@killbomb
If you haven't received a key for a product you should be able to receive a full refund. If you would like to verify this with their support team you can contact them here.

[quote name='rybrad']@killbomb
If you haven't received a key for a product you should be able to receive a full refund. If you would like to verify this with their support team you can contact them here.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the link. I asked on their Facebook page but it can't hurt to ask via the request form as well.

EDIT: Just got a response from them on Facebook and they said you'd have to log a support ticket and they'll see what they can do. Probably be like Steam where they will do it but tell you it's a one time courtesy. Gonna think on Dead Island a few more days since the code is good through the rest of the week.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']I said fuck it and preordered Dead Island. I am in love with the concept and that you level up and stuff. Plus I love open world games.[/QUOTE]

And there's crafting. I love crafting systems personally, I go ape**** over them. Not sure if that appeals to you, but I love everything about the game on paper. No matter how it delivers these ideas, the 20 minute gameplay video I watched was enough for me to pre-order it. =]

[quote name='gunstar808']In for Dead Island. Hopefully we get the preorder DLC as well![/QUOTE]
If you are referring to the Blood Bath DLC, then yes!

[quote name='atreyuevr']And there's crafting. I love crafting systems personally, I go ape**** over them. Not sure if that appeals to you, but I love everything about the game on paper. No matter how it delivers these ideas, the 20 minute gameplay video I watched was enough for me to pre-order it. =][/QUOTE]
I love crafting too. Everything on paper makes me want this game, thus the reason I preordered it. Plus all the gameplay trailers look right up my alley.

Hey. I've heard about Green Man Gaming for a while now, and I'm interested in finally taking the plunge. I just wanted to ask a few questions from those who have bought games through them before I do so, though.

I trust that the site is generally reputable and safe to do business with? Since I'd be using my primary PayPal email address for my GMG account and my PayPal account to order games I just want to make sure it's relatively safe. I don't usually stray from my usual digital game providers (mostly Steam and GOG, sometimes Amazon and Direct2Drive).

I saw someone mention that the 20% off coupon code should last through the end of the week, correct? I'm looking to get the Augmented Edition of Deus Ex: Human Revolution, but I probably won't be pre-ordering it until Wednesday or so. Should the $49.99 (before coupon) price still be in effect, or might they raise the price back up to $59.99 by then? And since the Augmented Edition comes with those bonus items does anyone know if those are also gotten through Steam, or through GMG instead? And I've also heard something about referrals or referral codes that knock an additional amount of the total cost (last one I saw mentioned was $5). How do I go about getting that, and can they be used multiple times? I'm definitely getting DE:HR, but I might also bite on Dead Island since it's Steamworks as well, and if I can get it for $29 instead of $34 that would be awesome.

Sorry for all the annoying questions, and thanks to anyone who doesn't mind answering them.

[quote name='BMXJouster']Hey. I've heard about Green Man Gaming for a while now, and I'm interested in finally taking the plunge. I just wanted to ask a few questions from those who have bought games through them before I do so, though.

I trust that the site is generally reputable and safe to do business with? Since I'd be using my primary PayPal email address for my GMG account and my PayPal account to order games I just want to make sure it's relatively safe. I don't usually stray from my usual digital game providers (mostly Steam and GOG, sometimes Amazon and Direct2Drive).

I saw someone mention that the 20% off coupon code should last through the end of the week, correct? I'm looking to get the Augmented Edition of Deus Ex: Human Revolution, but I probably won't be pre-ordering it until Wednesday or so. Should the $49.99 (before coupon) price still be in effect, or might they raise the price back up to $59.99 by then? And since the Augmented Edition comes with those bonus items does anyone know if those are also gotten through Steam, or through GMG instead? And I've also heard something about referrals or referral codes that knock an additional amount of the total cost (last one I saw mentioned was $5). How do I go about getting that, and can they be used multiple times? I'm definitely getting DE:HR, but I might also bite on Dead Island since it's Steamworks as well, and if I can get it for $29 instead of $34 that would be awesome.

Sorry for all the annoying questions, and thanks to anyone who doesn't mind answering them.[/QUOTE]

• They are perfectly safe to use and reputable.
  • The 20% voucher code SHOULD last through the week, that was the last I heard from them.
  • I can't imagine they would raise the price before Wednesday. Non-daily deals usually last at least a week and mid-week price changes are rare.
  • Not sure on the bonus items but they should all theoretically be attached to your Steam account.
  • As for the referral code you can click on the link in my sig (or anyone else who has a referral sig) and when you signup for an account and purchase something more than $5, you and the referrer will get a $5 credit. This is a one-time credit you receive since it is dependent on account creation.

[quote name='BMXJouster']Hey. I've heard about Green Man Gaming for a while now, and I'm interested in finally taking the plunge. I just wanted to ask a few questions from those who have bought games through them before I do so, though.

Sorry for all the annoying questions, and thanks to anyone who doesn't mind answering them.[/QUOTE]

No problem with the questions, always better safe than sorry. I'll give you a quick run down.

- The site is definitely 100% legit. I haven't heard of anyone getting anything less than a legitimate transaction. These aren't "grey market" keys like you get from CD Keys. No, instead, this isn't much different from something like Impulse or Direct2Drive. The ONLY thing you should take not of, is that it is based in the UK. That means some credit cards get fussy with the transaction. In other words, a card might not go through, either because it's overseas and alerts the fraud department of your bank, or because the bank thinks it's a gambling site, lol. Most cards do work, though. And once it does, you might get a call authorizing the charge, but after that, you're golden. If you pay via Paypal, you shouldn't run into any of those problems. Obviously, anytime you use your card on the net, you put yourself at risk. But this place isn't any less safe, from what anyone can tell, than Steam.

The code SHOULD last until the end of the week. And I'd IMAGINE that the Augmented Edition should be discounted up until closer to release. That said, these are big IFs. In my opinion, it's smart to buy asap. It could go up at any time.

The referral works like this; someone who has an account offers you a link that they have on their account under "refer a friend." If you click that link, it will take you to the GMG mainpage. If you sign up for an account, without moving away from the site, you will be considered "referraled." That said, you won't receive the $5 credit until you SPEND $5. When you do spend that $5 (either immediately or later down that road), you and the person who referred you will instantly receieve a $5 credit on their account. I would certainly appreciate it if you'd consider using my referral link in my sig. But if not, I'll certainly understand :)

In any case, let me know if you have any other questions!

Uh oh, apparently Deus Ex is region locked. Lots of people are making threads on GMG asking if us USA buyers will be able to register the game on a US steam account, no responses so far. If it won't register I'll cancel my pre-order.... I hope we get a response soon...

[quote name='kjs7']any word on whether US buyers of Deus Ex are SOL since the game is region locked?[/QUOTE]
I don't see how a Steam key will not work since that's all your doing. I bought Dawn of War II and it came from Amazon but it was a UK copy, worked fine. Why wouldn't this work, and why would Green Man Gaming sell this to American customers.

[quote name='rybrad']If you are referring to the Blood Bath DLC, then yes![/QUOTE]

I was referring to the "Ripper", but good news that we get the Blood Bath DLC!

[quote name='fishphoenix']Uh oh, apparently Deus Ex is region locked. Lots of people are making threads on GMG asking if us USA buyers will be able to register the game on a US steam account, no responses so far. If it won't register I'll cancel my pre-order.... I hope we get a response soon...[/QUOTE]

okay I don't understand this sudden craze about region locked, all Steam games are "region" locked but you just get them gifted from another region no problem (otherwise our German and Australian friends would be screwed)

also have you considered there aren't any responses so far because even in England it's the middle of the fucking night?

No reason to stress out whatsoever. Yes, the game might be region locked. But Steam doesn't work that way. So long as you have a legitimate key, Steam provides you with a game download. Plain and simple. STEAM does the region locking, and won't discriminate based on the key you use.

Don't flip out. I'm 99.9% sure everything will be a-okay.

[quote name='buckythekat']okay I don't understand this sudden craze about region locked, all Steam games are "region" locked but you just get them gifted from another region no problem (otherwise our German and Australian friends would be screwed)

also have you considered there aren't any responses so far because even in England it's the middle of the fucking night?[/QUOTE]

Calm down. I (and maybe some others here) have never purchased anything form GMG before so we don't know the details of how this works. All I know is that Square Enix posted today that the PC version of Deus Ex is region locked and to purchase it in your own region otherwise it will not register (and GMG being a UK based store). That is why myself and others are concerned.

[quote name='buckythekat']okay I don't understand this sudden craze about region locked, all Steam games are "region" locked but you just get them gifted from another region no problem (otherwise our German and Australian friends would be screwed)

also have you considered there aren't any responses so far because even in England it's the middle of the fucking night?[/QUOTE]

Calm down. I (and maybe some others here) have never purchased anything from GMG before so we don't know the details of how this works. All I know is that Square Enix posted today that the PC version of Deus Ex is region locked and to purchase it in your own region otherwise it will not register (and GMG being a UK based store). That is why myself and others are concerned.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm gonna wait until Green Man Gaming confirms whether or not their Deus Ex keys will work fine for North American buyers like myself before I sign up and pre-order. I just heard about this region lock thing too and I don't want to waste $40.

Did you really feel the need to come into this thread, read someone's concerns for a game that they bought, and post your own troll of a comment about their predicament? Don't bring your personal problems here, period. There's no need to troll a fellow CAG on these forums having not provoked you in the first place. Next time, close your internet browser instead of hitting the "Submit Reply" button.

Hey folks, take it easy, I come bearing news about Deus Ex!

To anyone wondering - Deus Ex HR keys from GMG are NOT region locked. We have been directly in contact with the publisher about this! /rob

Also, here is a new 20% off code in case people are having any issues with the other one: 20SUM-MERSA-VINGS

Dead Island for $34 is tempting but I am not so sure about the gameplay. It looks kind of Far Cry 2 - ish. Which would be bad for me since I didn't like FC2 much. Another thing bothering me is the melee combat. In third person perspectives I can seem to handle it fine, but in FPS games, I haven't played a game that had a decent implementation that I could judge distance to the target properly enough to time hits correctly without just mashing the buttons when they got close and hope for the best. Those are my 2 biggest concerns with Dead Island. Conceptually though I do like the RPG-ish like features and the ability to modify weapons, and the story told from the multiple perspectives is a nice hook and adds replay value (assuming the first 2 concerns about the game were not an issue).

assassin's creed revelations also comes out to 33.96 after the code. I want to get this but I'm afraid the pc version might get delayed.

[quote name='saiyajinsc']assassin's creed revelations also comes out to 33.96 after the code. I want to get this but I'm afraid the pc version might get delayed.[/QUOTE]
Given how they just pulled the PC delay card with From Dust and Driver, you can assume with a high certainty that they will do the same for AC at the 11th hour.

[quote name='rybrad']Hey folks, take it easy, I come bearing news about Deus Ex![/QUOTE]

Whew...really didn't want to have to cancel and pay $45 on Steam. I've never heard of PC games being region locked before. Is this the first one?

looks like a new 20% off code is live

Love20_v2-TopOfferBox.png

are there any other upcoming releases that are Steam activated that might be worth grabbing?

Thanks op for keeping this thread up. I would never have thought to check GMG for some deals, I got Deus ex and dead island for 34 each. (took a chance on dead island cause I'm a sucker for zombie games)

[quote name='buckythekat']looks like a new 20% off code is live

are there any other upcoming releases that are Steam activated that might be worth grabbing?[/QUOTE]
Code was in my update post earlier today and in the OP! :)

As for other games it depends on what you like. Tropico 4, Deus Ex, Dead Island and Red Orchestra 2 are all of the unreleased Steamworks games I believe. I will probably make the Steamworks list in the OP up-to-date soon since a lot of people care about that.

Saints Row The Third (Steamworks) will also be coming to GMG but they do not have a set date yet.

Edit: Before I forget, I compiled everyone's questions from the thread and submitted a support ticket to GMG. When I have answers I will update the OP and add a new post with the answers.

[quote name='rybrad']Code was in my update post earlier today and in the OP! :)

As for other games it depends on what you like. Tropico 4, Deus Ex, Dead Island and Red Orchestra 2 are all of the unreleased Steamworks games I believe. I will probably make the Steamworks list in the OP up-to-date soon since a lot of people care about that.[/QUOTE]

I didn't realize the OP was kept up to date :oops: I always just go to the last page

already prebought all of those :whistle2:#

[quote name='buckythekat']I didn't realize the OP was kept up to date :oops: I always just go to the last page

already prebought all of those :whistle2:#[/QUOTE]
I try to keep the OP updated everyday, I hate when they have old info on good deals! Some items below the main deals need to be updated for slight changes like DNF but the top ones should always be good!

Since you already have all of the upcoming Steamworks games, Saints Row is probably the only upcoming Steamworks thing for awhile. I imagine they are trying to sign on Bethesda and Activision, if they manage to do that it will add a few Steamworks titles this year but I wouldn't count on it.

That being said, they have really been pushing their line saying they want to always be the cheapest price on preorders so that bodes well for the future.

[quote name='buckythekat']are there any other upcoming releases that are Steam activated that might be worth grabbing?[/QUOTE]

Along with the titles that rybrad posted, Renegade Ops is also a Steamworks title.

Any word on whether Deus Ex preloads will start on steam? I believe Duke Nukem Forever started about a week before launch..

bread's done
Back