HD DVD Discussion - Warner Bros exchange program introduced 4/22/09 (see first post)

KaneRobot

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (100%)
[size=+1]***Warner Bros exchange program introduced for anyone interested in swapping some of their WB HD DVD discs for the Blu-Ray counterparts. It's not free, but you do get to keep the HD DVD disc. See the thread here.***[/size]

2n07olu.png

Reviews:
highdefdigest.com | dvdtalk.com | dvdtown.com

Release Dates | Picture/Audio Quality Rankings | Information on Importing

The time has come to bid our preferred format farewell. An unfortunate but obvious conclusion to the HD DVD vs. Blu-Ray battle is that one of them would have to get buried in the end. I was happy to see many dual-format owners say that they preferred HD DVD, and even now the format offers some features that Blu-Ray is still catching up with.

Although the manufacturing of new players has come to a close, Toshiba will continue to support and service current players for the next several years.

The original HD DVD thread can still be found here and does have some helpful information here and there and was quite useful during the format's life. However, as it approached the 4500 post mark, it's clear that this is as good a time as any to start fresh.

-------------

Here's a list of the top posters as well as everyone who had at least 10 posts in the old thread:

Sporadic 536
LinkinPrime 463
guyver2077 393
KaneRobot 327
thrustbucket 264
GizmoGC 151
rsigley 117
SteveMcQ 107
Sarang01 100
anomynous 94
Ruined 88
CocheseUGA 82
RedvsBlue 75
doubledown 75
ryanbph 69

Duo_Maxwell 62Deadpool 56terribledeli 54asianxcore 52mykevermin 49Richlough 46Bezerker 39propeller_head 37gunm 34captainfrizo 32dallow 31Ph8te 31DomLando 31geko29 28TheRock88 27Ice2Dragon 26Trakan 25rodeojones903 24cleaver 22bill123 22ashram 18Santurio 18tenzor 16jollydwarf 15Jedi1979 15halfbent 14dastly75 14velvet396 14pinoy530 13flybrione 13benjamouth 13chair_home 12staplerwow 12getmyrunon 12Transformah 11grendel19 11zman73 11porieux 11doctorfaustus 11Tha Xecutioner 11pimpinc333 10psychobrawler 10matowest 10nharmon91 10edison

[SIZE=+1]HD DVD
3/31/2006 - 2/19/2008
[/SIZE]​

Last edited by a moderator:
fucking Amazon.de, Brothers Grimm and Tomb Raider: CoL are out of stock now that T2:UE is in stock so my order is on hiatus. I sent them an email to see what the fuck is up...I doubt I'll get it. What pisses me off is that if they knew that they had low stock, why didn't they fucking hold enough units for the pending orders :wall:

[quote name='LinkinPrime']fucking Amazon.de, Brothers Grimm and Tomb Raider: CoL are out of stock now that T2:UE is in stock so my order is on hiatus. I sent them an email to see what the fuck is up...I doubt I'll get it. What pisses me off is that if they knew that they had low stock, why didn't they fucking hold enough units for the pending orders :wall:[/QUOTE]

When I first posted that thread, they had 450ish copies of Brothers Grimm in-stock.

That's a shame though. I own both of those discs and they are awesome.

[quote name='shrike4242']Went by my local Best Buy on Tuesday, still had their HD-DVD's up. Nothing that impressive, even with the 30% off.

Today, went back, all gone, and the BR's were all strewn through the sections that the HD-DVDs were in.[/quote]

Yep, this is what happened to me today as well.

My Best Buy store was cleared out of there HD DVDs. I go to see if the movie I stashed is still there & it is. After talking to a couple of employees about if there were a movie still out there could I buy it, I was told no that I can't buy what's not there. I was also told to wait until Sunday when HD DVDs will be 70% off online on their site. I figure I'll wait until Sunday to try and buy it after I leave Circuit City.

[quote name='darkasian']... Sunday when HD DVDs will be 70% off online on their site...[/QUOTE]

Sweet Jesus! That's news to me.

[quote name='darkasian']My Best Buy store was cleared out of there HD DVDs. I go to see if the movie I stashed is still there & it is. After talking to a couple of employees about if there were a movie still out there could I buy it, I was told no that I can't buy what's not there. I was also told to wait until Sunday when HD DVDs will be 70% off online on their site. I figure I'll wait until Sunday to try and buy it after I leave Circuit City.[/QUOTE]

That is great news if it actually happens. I really just want to score Pan's Labyrinth on the cheap.

[quote name='rsigley']into the wild back for ~7 again

http://www.ezydvd.com.au/item.zml/797817[/quote]

I've wanted to grab this but haven't found a price I could stomach until now...

Can anyone comment on quality and/or differences between this and the US release? Normally I check around myself but I'm at work at the moment and want to jump on this ASAP. Thanks in advance.

[quote name='NAmato']I've wanted to grab this but haven't found a price I could stomach until now...

Can anyone comment on quality and/or differences between this and the US release? Normally I check around myself but I'm at work at the moment and want to jump on this ASAP. Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

There should be no difference besides the stupid massive ratings thing on the box along with a bigger case.

Are there any Exclusive not to North America on EzyDVD? Its the cheapest i've seen children of men, but shipping is a bit much i was gonna add more titles to make it worth it. Any to recommend?

Well I got a reply back from Amazon.de, they state that my order shipped on 3/18...so I guess its just a matter of time. There's no tracking info though.

[quote name='darkasian']My Best Buy store was cleared out of there HD DVDs. I go to see if the movie I stashed is still there & it is. After talking to a couple of employees about if there were a movie still out there could I buy it, I was told no that I can't buy what's not there. I was also told to wait until Sunday when HD DVDs will be 70% off online on their site. I figure I'll wait until Sunday to try and buy it after I leave Circuit City.[/quote]

i really doubt the 70% off, why not just send those back with the ones from the stores. Seems like they would lose money for no real reason.

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']i really doubt the 70% off, why not just send those back with the ones from the stores. Seems like they would lose money for no real reason.[/QUOTE]

Better to get something as opposed to nothing?

I can only tell you what I was told. I said the last place for me now is Circuit City this Sunday for 50% off to the Best Buy employee. He told me that Best Buy online starting Sunday would have HD DVDs 70% off. I told him you guys are a bunch off 1uppers. He smiled & said I know.

Anyone know where is the cheapest place to pick up a standalone player. I can't have my 30 HD-DVD library being dependent on my xbox 360. Ideally, I would like to pick up 2 players. I would like an A2 or A3 and a A20 or A30. I want to spend ~60 on the former and ~80-90 on the ladder. Do you think I'll ever be able to meet those expectations? Really... the A2 or A3 is the only one that is pressing at the moment. I only have a 720p TV.

[quote name='jughead']Anyone know where is the cheapest place to pick up a standalone player. I can't have my 30 HD-DVD library being dependent on my xbox 360. Ideally, I would like to pick up 2 players. I would like an A2 or A3 and a A20 or A30. I want to spend ~60 on the former and ~80-90 on the ladder. Do you think I'll ever be able to meet those expectations? Really... the A2 or A3 is the only one that is pressing at the moment. I only have a 720p TV.[/quote]

I have the same question and needs. I dont want to depend on my xbox 360 drive forever. Plus i would like another up converter for another hdtv i have.

Picked up a open box A3 with no remote for $59.99. Marked $79.99. A new one is $99.99 if anyone can find one. I

[quote name='62t']local best buy had $9.99 on all hd dvd and 70% off box set. Too bad only crappy movies were left[/QUOTE]

That would be so sweet. My Best Buy got rid of all of their's.

[quote name='62t']local best buy had $9.99 on all hd dvd and 70% off box set. Too bad only crappy movies were left[/quote]
Where is your store?

I'm in the same boat. I dont want to keep using my 360 to play the HD-DVDs. I'm thinking about just geting a combo player. I just want one with good upconversion and that does 1080i or 1080p. I remember reading that LG should have one comeing out some time and it will be a third gen. so I'm going to hold out on that.

My local Best Buy has cleared out all the HD-DVD movies. And looking online about half the movies are sold out... Good luck to everyone picking over the corpses tomorrow morning.

[quote name='maaddmax']My local Best Buy has cleared out all the HD-DVD movies. And looking online about half the movies are sold out... Good luck to everyone picking over the corpses tomorrow morning.[/QUOTE]

isn't the sale at circuit city?

I'm starting to be satisified but I can always use more movies (check my title for my current count of movies).

[quote name='rsigley']isn't the sale at circuit city?[/quote]

their allegedly a sale at BB.com 70% off that one CAG heard from a BB employee, take that for what its worth

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']their allegedly a sale at BB.com 70% off that one CAG heard from a BB employee, take that for what its worth[/QUOTE]

And this CAG heard from a BB employee that Blu ray is so much better then HD DVD, he tries to show me with Spiderman 3 (DVD) upconverting to a shitty 1080i resolution, in which you can see it interlacing to hell and back because it's not properly setup, comparing it to the Blu ray.

I've setup my grandmas 57" HDTV and played HDDVDs and DVDs on it, and I can't tell the difference after 9 feet or so (I still appreciate the quality difference).

My offtopic point is, they make certain things look terrible in the store, and my ontopic point is, you can't trust BB employees.

Yeah I wouldn't trust the word of one random Best Buy sales clerk. If I remember correctly, most of them denied that they were sending HD-DVD's back at all.

I just read the email for the HD-DVD tool kit from MS and I had to send them my MS ID. I sent them that but have not got an email back telling me my code and what to do next. So I was wondering did anyone get the code after sending them the ID and how long did it take?

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Where were people getting the 5-disc cases again?[/QUOTE]

Anyone? I've scanned the thread, but apparently I've missed it.

Thanks again, munch.

I got the code a long time ago, I accidentally deleted my email tho.

And Cochese, no one is getting 5 disc cases. If you bought Blade Runner from HV, you're SOL.

I had the e-mail but didn't know I had to send one back to them because I never really read it. Now I wish I would have because I have yet to get a responce from them. I would really like to play around with HDi.

I could always get two 2-disc and photoshop the extra space into the spine.

There's also the possibility of finding a cheap TDC Planet Earth, as well.

[quote name='twen']Picked up a open box A3 with no remote for $59.99. Marked $79.99. A new one is $99.99 if anyone can find one. I

just got back from circuit city

was a line of like 40 people outside and thought i wasn't getting any

every single one of them was waiting for the 12 wii's, can't believe you still have to camp out for one

i was the only one who went for hd dvd's, the prices are different than online, but my CC price matched. pretty slim pickings, but ended up getting fugitive, caddyshack, and fast times @ ridgemont for $9.99 each

I was just at one of my local BB and they just cleared out there HD-DVD it must have been something just recently cause one of the guys working there was telling me that he just saw them the other day. He did tell me that there was quite a few left over so he wasnt sure what they are going to do with all them. Is this something nation wide that all BB stopped carrying stock in there stores of HD DVD? Also where did all the left over stock go? (nevermind)

I was waiting for Battlestar Galactica Season 1 to go on sale. Did anyone score one? If not does anyone know where this is still available?

[quote name='Malik112099']which best buy? 215 & decatur or best in the west?[/quote]
215 & decatur... gonna call them when they open in 2 hours.. like i said, their shelves were full of HD DVD's on Fri...and I was told they would get rid of them in a week or two.. I still want to see whats going on at BB online..prices all went to MSRP last night... if they "cant" tell me if they are having a sale..I will go and update here..only live a mile away:lol:
also, they have at least 1 A-3 on their clearance rack.. I wanted another A-35...but not any left in all of vegas stores:bomb:

[quote name='DanDaMan069']215 & decatur... gonna call them when they open in 2 hours.. like i said, their shelves were full of HD DVD's on Fri...and I was told they would get rid of them in a week or two.. I still want to see whats going on at BB online..prices all went to MSRP last night... if they "cant" tell me if they are having a sale..I will go and update here..only live a mile away:lol:
also, they have at least 1 A-3 on their clearance rack.. I wanted another A-35...but not any left in all of vegas stores:bomb:[/quote]

yeah, update here when you find out what's going on....I haven't checked any best buys since i heard they were getting rid of hd dvds.....I live at Nellis AFB and don't feel like making the drive just to check

[quote name='rsigley']just got back from circuit city

was a line of like 40 people outside and thought i wasn't getting any

every single one of them was waiting for the 12 wii's, can't believe you still have to camp out for one

i was the only one who went for hd dvd's, the prices are different than online, but my CC price matched. pretty slim pickings, but ended up getting fugitive, caddyshack, and fast times @ ridgemont for $9.99 each[/QUOTE]

My CC sucks, I didn't even bother to PM.

All titles are $24.99-$39.99, no sets, nothing of any real note.

Got Serenity and Swordfish for $12.50 each. I could have probably found them cheaper, but that's fine.

CC is dead to me. Went through the same conversation (along with a cag mod who's name I didn't catch) with CS at two different store in Raleigh NC.

The first store was beyond arrogant, more or less stating that if we didn't buy them for their marked up prices (some were 150% over MSRP), then someone else would.

Second store (glenwood ave) was nicer about it, but still wouldn't come down to the MSRP that even their own website showed as their price.

Yep. Circuit City can go straight to durham for all I care. SHAQ-FU THAT PLACE!

Seriously, I'd rather go to the freaking box factory. I'd rather go to the ebola store.

Murdoch

My CC haul

The Kingdom $15.00
Full Metal Jacket (remastered) $12.50
We were Soldiers $12.50 (going back cheaper on Deep Discount)

This sale really isn't that great but for example this is the cheapest I've seen the Kingdom. I personally believe there will be no great firesale for HD DVD I believe we are in the firesale. There are deals to be had but it will take a bit of hunting.

[quote name='Malik112099']yeah, update here when you find out what's going on....I haven't checked any best buys since i heard they were getting rid of hd dvds.....I live at Nellis AFB and don't feel like making the drive just to check[/quote]
Will update... you in the AF I take it? Me too..lol One guy in this forum (cc,best buy clearance thread) got his CC to take 50% their MSRP..so he got movies like american ganster for $9.99!!!

So what places actually have sales on HD DVD's? I know Amazon does, and DDD has good prices. Anywhere else, whether it's online of B&M???

[quote name='Malik112099']yeah, update here when you find out what's going on....I haven't checked any best buys since i heard they were getting rid of hd dvds.....I live at Nellis AFB and don't feel like making the drive just to check[/quote]

well I went to 215/decatur BB and they still have a couple of racks of HD DVD's..pretty much 5 deep in about 75% of all HD DVD's that is available..so in other words they have a crap load:booty: BUT, there was no sale..just the same old 30% off MSRP:cry: They still have 1 A-3 on clearance rack for $79, and they have an A-30 display model...which if you ask to buy, they will sell it for $80, thats what I got the manager down to, but I kept telling him I had got an A-35 for $79, so I thought the A-30 should be less, but he wouldnt budge from $80, which is still a great price if anyone wants it..but I already have 2 players...so I will share the wealth with someone else:D I called my local CC and they said it was 50%off sticker price, so I didnt waste my time driving over there... I did however stop by a K-mart that I didnt even know was near my house and actually found an XBOX 360 HD DVD add-on for $37!!:applause:It was the last one..then I drove back to BB and showed them my receipt and got them to PM kmarts price, so I got my $13 back from the HD add-on I purchased a few weeks earlier:bouncy: So in case anyone still wants an XBOX 360 add-on for $37, BB said they will call kmart and PM it! And my local BB in Las Vegas still has like 20-30 of them...

[quote name='rsillini09']Anyone know of any deals at Wal-Mart?[/quote]

Wal-Mart is going to be YMMV, but I've seen The Kingdom for $17.

[quote name='murdoch623']CC is dead to me. Went through the same conversation (along with a cag mod who's name I didn't catch) with CS at two different store in Raleigh NC.

The first store was beyond arrogant, more or less stating that if we didn't buy them for their marked up prices (some were 150% over MSRP), then someone else would.

Second store (glenwood ave) was nicer about it, but still wouldn't come down to the MSRP that even their own website showed as their price.

Yep. Circuit City can go straight to durham for all I care. SHAQ-FU THAT PLACE!

Seriously, I'd rather go to the freaking box factory. I'd rather go to the ebola store.

Murdoch[/QUOTE]

I hit up the Glenwood Store, too. Lame selection with lame prices.

bread's done
Back