iOS (iPhone, iPod, iPad) / Mac App Stores -- Ongoing Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Now with Wiki Editable Goodness!!

This is a continuation of this previous thread. Since it was getting very close to the 5,000 thread mark, I figured it was time for a reset.

Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions.

Games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

148 Apps
App Shopper iOS / App Shopper Mac
Free App Alert
Touch Arcade
Free App A Day

App & Game Review Sites

IGN Wireless
MacLife iPad
MacLife iPod/iPhone
Slide to Play
Touch Arcade
Touch Gen
TUAW Games

Free App offers from Developers
• Get a free copy of the Number Fill app for iOS by sending an email to [email protected] with subject "iOSApp:" (while supplies last).

YouTube Video Reviews

iPad Game Reviews
iPhone\iPod Touch Game Reviews

Apple Game Center
Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games are starting to support this. Currently this only runs on iPod & iPhone, but an update will be coming soon that enables this for iPad users.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center Exchange Thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs. You can also exchange OpenFeint & Plus+ names there.

ITUNES GIFT CARD SALES
Gamestop: 6/8 to 6/14, $25 iTunes gift card for $20

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.

2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.

3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.

4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.

5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.

6. Apps can be re-downloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.

7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.

8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.

9. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.

10. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Two come in a pack, average price I've seen is $20. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

11. Universal Apps have a small plus sign in the upper left corner next to their price. They can be played natively on both the iPad and iPod/iPhone. iPhone games that are not universal can still be played on the iPad with a lower resolution. Non universal iPad games cannot be played on the iPhone.

Recommended Games by Genre
Feel free to add games, genres or move titles as needed. This list is to give CAGs a chance to catch up on missed high-quality games and to get new users started on "can't miss" titles to download for their new idevice. Underlined titles are universal (ipad and iphone/ipod touch). Italic are iPad only.

Casual - Tiny Wings, Angry Birds, Doodle Jump, Fruit Ninja, Cut the Rope. World of Goo, Osmos, Bird Strike - GOLD EDITION, Parachute Ninja, Pilot Winds, Depict, Flight Control, Time Geeks: Find All!, Bird Zapper!, Tapper World Tour, Amazing Breaker
Shooter - Tilt to Live, Galaxy on Fire 2, Espgaluda II, Dodonpachi Resurrection, Space Miner: Space Ore Bust, Radiant, Warblade, MetalStorm: Online, Minotron 2112
F/TPS/Action - Shadowgun, N.O.V.A., N.O.V.A. 2, Infinity Blade, Modern Combat 2: Black Pegasus, Dead Space, Shadow Guardian
Dual-Stick Shooter - Age of Zombies, Minigore, Solomon's Keep, Solomon's Boneyard
Action/Arcade - Jet Ball, Super Mega Worm, Zombie Highway, Pac-Man Championship Edition, Plunderland
Adventure - Super Brothers: Sword & Sworcery EP, Broken Sword: Director's Cut, Broken Sword - The Smoking Mirror Remastered, The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition, Sam & Max Episode 1, Scarlett and the Spark of Life, Back to the Future Ep 1 HD, Back to the Future Ep 2 HD
Platformer - League of Evil, Mirror's Edge, Kami Retro, Pix'n Love Rush, Soosiz, Fastar!, Frogatto, Rolando, Rolando 2, Creepy Caverns, :Shift:, Robot Wants Kitty, Perfect Cell, Beyond Ynth, Spider: The Secret of Bryce Manor, Hoggy, Edge
Endless Runner - Hook Champ, Super QuickHook, Hook Worlds, Monster Dash, Solipskier, Robot Unicorn Attack, Inspector Gadget's MAD Dash, Run Like Hell! Deluxe
Tower Defense - Plants vs. Zombies, Holy Moly Dragons, Defender Chronicles, iBomber Defense, The Creeps!, Geodefense, Geodefense Swarm, Epic War TD, Sentinel Mars Defense, Sentinel Earth Defense, Sentinel Homeworld, Guns'n'Glory, TowerMadness
RPG - Zenonia, Zenonia 2, Zenonia 3, Battleheart, Dungeon Hunter I & II, Across Age, Chaos Rings, Sacred Odyssey, Eternal Legacy, Secret of Mana (yes, that Secret of Mana :D), 100 Rogues
Puzzle - Azkend, Sparkle, Bejeweled 2, Dungeon Raid, Drop7, Puzzle Agent, Trainyard, Puzzle Quest 2, Crosslogic, bitFLIP, Love Battle Princess, Heroes of Kalevala, Antrim Escape 1/2
Card/Dice - Sword & Poker 1 & 2, World Series of Poker Hold'em Legend
Sim - Game Dev Story, Hot Springs Story, Sims: Ambitions
Strategy - Civilization Revolution, Trenches, Crystal War, Legendary Wars
Sports - NBA Jam, Backbreaker Football, Backbreaker 2, Flick Kick Field Goal
Fighting - Street Fighter IV, King of Fighters-i002
Racing - Asphalt 6, Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit, Need for Speed: Shift, Real Racing 2, Reckless Racing, Disc Drivin', Jet Car Stunts, Death Rally, Tires of Fury
Time Management - My Kingdom for the Princess 1 & 2, Hotel Mogul, Airport Mania, Roads of Rome HD
Board Games -Small World, Carcassonne, Catan, Words With Friends, Reiner Knizia's Samurai, Neuroshima Hex
Trivia - MovieCat, You Don't Know Jack
Hidden Object - Little Things, Pictureka
Non-Game Essentials -
Appshopper, Atomic Web Browser, Stanza, CloudReaders, Flipbook, TuneIn Radio Pro, Dropbox, Air Video+, Evernote, Video Stream, mBox Mail, Genius Scan, Urban Spoon, Documents To Go Premium

Last edited by a moderator:
I played the hell out of Infinity Blade 1 but was bored of it by the end. Too bored to grind up all the money and stats needed to beat the post-game content. Infinity Blade 2 just feels like more of the same. It's solid but I kinda regret the money spent. Especially when I know I'm going to go be disappointed* by Dark Meadow as well.

*Disappointed by repetition of a concept that has run its course with me, not overall quality.

[quote name='RollingSkull']I played the hell out of Infinity Blade 1 but was bored of it by the end. Too bored to grind up all the money and stats needed to beat the post-game content. Infinity Blade 2 just feels like more of the same. It's solid but I kinda regret the money spent. Especially when I know I'm going to go be disappointed* by Dark Meadow as well.

*Disappointed by repetition of a concept that has run its course with me, not overall quality.[/QUOTE]

While Dark Meadow is very similar, I found the story to be much more compelling. While it's still lacking overall as a game, I'm more inclined to play through it because of the storyline, narration and ability to find notes that give a deeper background to the story than anything I found in the original Infinity Blade's narrative.

[quote name='blk00civicsi']So much for EA doing an actual daily deal. What a bunch of lame asses.[/QUOTE]
What are you talking about? They change up the order of the page layout of the exact same deals on an almost daily basis! ;)

Could someone pm me and tell me how to access to spreadsheet for the "how to cook". Codes. I've done it once before. But for the life of me, I can't remember. Thx so much

FINAL FANTASY TACTICS: THE WAR OF THE LIONS Update
Important information

Your auto-save data will be erased when you update. Please use the normal save function before performing the update
The following changes were implemented.
-Fixed a bug that caused frequent crashes when run on iPhone 4S.
-Improved camera controls during battle.
-Other minor bugs addressed.

This version is aimed at quickly fixing a serious bug.
Updates to improve user experience, beginning with Retina support, are planned for the future. We appreciate your patience.

http://appshopper.com/games/final-fantasy-tactics-the-war-of-the-lions

Sorry if its been posted but I am loving this game. If you are playing this game friend me so I we can help each other with supplies.

The Oregon Trail: American Settler - Free
http://appshopper.com/games/the-oregon-trail-american-settler
mzl.nywmfavw.480x480-75.jpg

I use to have access to the spreadsheet (like another poster) and I believe I deleted the email. My other half really wants that how to cook ap and let me tell you, after last nights dinner I think he does too.

DRAW: The Showdown is currently available for FREE.
"Welcome to the Wild West…
The town of Coyote used to be a successful mining settlement, so prosperous it attracted the attention of L. Belly and his gang of Ruffians. They’ve taken over the streets and will stop at nothing until they have terrorized the hard working people of Coyote.
You’ve been appointed the sheriff of this god-forsaken town, taking over from the last one who lasted a whole 45 seconds. The dusty streets and the unforgiving desert stretch as far as the eye can see. You alone stand between justice for the inhabitants of Coyote….or the chaos and havoc created at the hands of L. Belly’s gang…"

[quote name='Fatality']FINAL FANTASY TACTICS: THE WAR OF THE LIONS Update
Important information

Updates to improve user experience, beginning with Retina support, are planned for the future. We appreciate your patience.[/QUOTE]

It's not up to retina display resolution? It freakin cost $16 bucks! Square Enix needs to get it together with the iOS support.

[quote name='envelopes']It's not available to download from your purchased list? I looked at mine and TRIS is listed in there. That game was pulled YEARS ago.

Update:
Tris just downloaded, though it's not in the app store. However, NetShare is not in my purchased list. I'm pretty sure that I bought it! I probably have the ipa somewhere... I should see if it still works. :)[/QUOTE]

NetShare works fine. This is actually my first time using it.

I don't know of any other app that is not in the store but is in my purchased list other than Tris. Maybe that one is just available in some other countries or something. I noticed that Pownce is not on my Purchased list.

So confusing!

[quote name='Rychy']It's not up to retina display resolution? It freakin cost $16 bucks! Square Enix needs to get it together with the iOS support.[/QUOTE]

I bet the Chrono Trigger port will be just as bad. The menu UI and font looks bad already

Crazy Hamster Ball is one of the FAAD games right now.
"It's up to you to control the Crazy Hamster Ball as he escapes from the Mad Scientist's Lab. Gameplay is simple just tap the screen to jump, or hold to continue jumping. Our crazy hero is running as fast as he can but he needs you to jump the many obstacles along the way.
Crazy Hamster Ball could be one of the first 3 dimensional 2D platform games. Pass through the suction tube to go deeper into the lab. See future levels behind the one you're on."

Bubble Buster
is the OpenFeint FGOTD.
"Bubble Buster is a beautiful, underwater-themed puzzle game where players pop adjacent bubbles of the same color to earn points. The larger the cluster of bubbles, the more points you earn. Create the biggest group of bubbles you can to beat your high score.
Choose from two ways to play: elimination or infinite. Play elimination until you run out of moves or bubbles. In infinite mode, popped bubbles are immediately replaced. Sound easy? Give it a try! As you level up more colors start to appear and it gets harder to group bubbles together."

The Adventures of Timmy: Run Kitty Run
gets a rousing endorsement from TouchArcade and is still available for FREE.
"Timmy’s the coolest kid you’ll ever meet, him and that cat suit of his. And he’s on a mission to save Kitty.

Timmy’s shyness makes it hard for him to make friends. What’s worse is that the cat costume he wears makes him a target for bullies. When the prettiest girl at school tries to befriend him she gets taken by the school bully Mitch. Timmy must use his imagination to summon his strength to battle through Mitch’s tree house lair and save her. 

Can you help Timmy rescue the girl of his dreams, and discover the secret of his cat costume?"

Ninja Pong is pretty fun. Nothing uber great, but certainly worth picking up while free! It's a bit like a glorified Game & Watch Game and really there is nothing wrong with that. Grab it.

I'm mulling over Judge Dredd vs Zombies. Thanks for the heads up.

[quote name='blk00civicsi']I am tpain is free.[/QUOTE]

I still remembering being suckered into paying $2.99 for this after seeing it on YouTube. I'm still sick over it.

[quote name='Rychy']It's not up to retina display resolution? It freakin cost $16 bucks! Square Enix needs to get it together with the iOS support.[/QUOTE]

I'm shocked by this, too. On the whole, SE doesn't seem to know what it takes to release a game in the iOS market. They're trying to shoehorn not only their previous games into iOS, but their previous experience in the market as well.

[quote name='Stimes'] Also Ninja Pong just went free iPhone [url]http://appshopper.com/games/ninja-pong

iPad
http://appshopper.com/games/ninja-pong-hd[/QUOTE]

I don't know why I buy anything.

From now on it's Kairosoft cames when they drop to $1 (even though I haven't played any other than game dev story), rocket cat stuff (on day 1), and that's it. I have way more games than I'll ever be able to play.

[quote name='RollingSkull']I played the hell out of Infinity Blade 1 but was bored of it by the end. Too bored to grind up all the money and stats needed to beat the post-game content. Infinity Blade 2 just feels like more of the same. It's solid but I kinda regret the money spent. Especially when I know I'm going to go be disappointed* by Dark Meadow as well.

*Disappointed by repetition of a concept that has run its course with me, not overall quality.[/QUOTE]

I got caught up in the hype for infinity blade 2. It's fun enough, but I feel I could have saved my $7 for like, dinner or something.

I got caught up in the hype for Infinity Blade 1 and only played 3 or 4 battles before never touching it again. I just started it up again a few nights ago to see if I was missing something, and I only made it through 3 battles before quitting again. I don't really get it. It's like Punch Out, but without the humor and not nearly as fun. But I might go back to it again anyway and see if I like it more as it progresses. Maybe I'm just not giving it enough time???

I'm on my phone right now but Toucharcade just posted that Gta3 will come out next week at $4.99 and will support single core devices like iPad1 and iPhone4

[quote name='crunchewy']I got caught up in the hype for Infinity Blade 1 and only played 3 or 4 battles before never touching it again. I just started it up again a few nights ago to see if I was missing something, and I only made it through 3 battles before quitting again. I don't really get it. It's like Punch Out, but without the humor and not nearly as fun. But I might go back to it again anyway and see if I like it more as it progresses. Maybe I'm just not giving it enough time???[/QUOTE]

Nope, thats all it is really. I wouldnt bother if you couldnt get into it twice now. Waste of a few hundred megs :D

[quote name='envelopes']I got caught up in the hype for infinity blade 2. It's fun enough, but I feel I could have saved my $7 for like, dinner or something.[/QUOTE]

That's why I can wait for it to go on sale for $1. Also with Blood and Glory being free kinda gives you that Infinity Blade fix till 2 drops in price.

Blood and Glory - FREE
http://appshopper.com/games/blood-glory
mzl.vruszlhv.480x480-75.jpg

Cheap mans Infinity Blade and its not that bad. Controls and graphics are solid, its definitely worth a try.

[quote name='Shimrra']That's why I can wait for it to go on sale for $1. Also with Blood and Glory being free kinda gives you that Infinity Blade fix till 2 drops in price.

Blood and Glory - FREE
http://appshopper.com/games/blood-glory
mzl.vruszlhv.480x480-75.jpg

Cheap mans Infinity Blade and its not that bad. Controls and graphics are solid, its definitely worth a try.[/QUOTE]

I think you're going to be waiting a LONG time (maybe forever) for IB2 to go on sale for $1, given that it's never been cheaper than $3. Thankfully Chair seems to realize that they don't have to join the race to the bottom.

Maybe IB1 will be $1 this christmas, or maybe we'll have to wait for IB3 to come out. If I were them, I would never lower the price on IB1 again... better to keep it at $6 and people will look at IB1 and IB2 and think "I can have IB2 for only $1 more, let's just do that."

Also, Blood and Glory is awful. It's not even comparable.

[quote name='Shimrra']Sorry if its been posted but I am loving this game. If you are playing this game friend me so I we can help each other with supplies.

The Oregon Trail: American Settler - Free
http://appshopper.com/games/the-oregon-trail-american-settler
mzl.nywmfavw.480x480-75.jpg
[/QUOTE]

The game is free but it is big on in-game purchases. I see a lot of complaints in the reviews on iTunes that you can't really get far without buying "cash" or pestering your Facebook friends.

[quote name='envelopes']I think you're going to be waiting a LONG time (maybe forever) for IB2 to go on sale for $1, given that it's never been cheaper than $3. Thankfully Chair seems to realize that they don't have to join the race to the bottom. Maybe IB1 will be $1 this christmas, or maybe we'll have to wait for IB3 to come out. If I were them, I would never lower the price on IB1 again... better to keep it at $6 and people will look at IB1 and IB2 and think "I can have IB2 for only $1 more, let's just do that."

Also, Blood and Glory is awful. It's not even comparable.[/QUOTE]

You can't say never, cause these games do go on sale for $1. As for "long" time how long is long now? I use to think 1 year was a long time but these days games go on sale in a month or 2.

As for Blood and Glory its free you have to think as free games go its damn good compared to the other IB wanna be's.

[quote name='gtmtnbiker']The game is free but it is big on in-game purchases. I see a lot of complaints in the reviews on iTunes that you can't really get far without buying "cash" or pestering your Facebook friends.[/QUOTE]

Then pester me or find friends that will help you lol.

Blood and glory is good until you use up all your potions and have no money to buy new armor. after that you have to buy (with real money) potions in order to progress any. Im pretty far in the game and now im stuck with about 200 life out of like 3000 against a character that if i get hit once, i die. it loses its flavor fast but its still pretty fun, and for free you cant go wrong with a quick IB fix.

[quote name='Wario64']I'm on my phone right now but Toucharcade just posted that Gta3 will come out next week at $4.99 and will support single core devices like iPad1 and iPhone4[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the awesome GTA 3 news regarding iPhone 4 owners. I was upset when I heard it was only going to be for 4S owners. Now I'm glad I didn't fork the cash to get the 4S. I really do like GTA3. My favorite GTA of all time.

I downloaded the Ninja Pong and I Am T-Pain app. And I'm thinking about Judge Dredd vs Zombies right now....

[quote name='Shimrra']You can't say never, cause these games do go on sale for $1. As for "long" time how long is long now? I use to think 1 year was a long time but these days games go on sale in a month or 2.

As for Blood and Glory its free you have to think as free games go its damn good compared to the other IB wanna be's.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah maybe I was too harsh on B&G. It's fine for a free knock-off, I guess.

As for the price, I was just pointing out that infinity blade has NEVER been $1. I'm on my phone so I am not going to check appshopper to see how long it took to go on sale for $3, but it wasn't quick.

IB is pretty much the only premium franchise on iOS. Well, that and crappy ports of Square games.

[quote name='envelopes']Yeah maybe I was too harsh on B&G. It's fine for a free knock-off, I guess.

As for the price, I was just pointing out that infinity blade has NEVER been $1. I'm on my phone so I am not going to check appshopper to see how long it took to go on sale for $3, but it wasn't quick.

IB is pretty much the only premium franchise on iOS. Well, that and crappy ports of Square games.[/QUOTE]

It took roughly 4 months (Dec 2010 - March 2011) for the first sale.

[quote name='Wario64']Zombie Gunship is apparently free later today, just a heads up. Heard good stuff about that game[/QUOTE]

Nice. I've been keeping my eye on it. Almost spent the buck for it, but decided to wait until after the holiday season to see if it went free first.

[quote name='crunchewy']I got caught up in the hype for Infinity Blade 1 and only played 3 or 4 battles before never touching it again. I just started it up again a few nights ago to see if I was missing something, and I only made it through 3 battles before quitting again. I don't really get it. It's like Punch Out, but without the humor and not nearly as fun. But I might go back to it again anyway and see if I like it more as it progresses. Maybe I'm just not giving it enough time???[/QUOTE]

Same here, I found it pretty but not very fun. I also wondered if I gave up too early, but hey there is a lot of competition for my time ;)

[quote name='Wario64']Zombie Gunship is apparently free later today, just a heads up. Heard good stuff about that game[/QUOTE]

Dammit...I just paid $1 for this last week.

My connection is super slow in my area but apparently if you download the FAADChat app, you can then download Zombie Gunship for free. Anyone with a faster connection want to try that out?

EDIT
Guess you don't need FAADChat but it might be a good app. Ok don't everyone download at once.

[quote name='Wario64']I'm on my phone right now but Toucharcade just posted that Gta3 will come out next week at $4.99 and will support single core devices like iPad1 and iPhone4[/QUOTE]
Thanks, bruistopher took the words out of my mouth, except iPad1/2 instead of iPhone 4/4s.
[quote name='bruistopher']Thanks for the awesome GTA 3 news regarding iPhone 4 owners. I was upset when I heard it was only going to be for 4S owners. Now I'm glad I didn't fork the cash to get the 4S. I really do like GTA3. My favorite GTA of all time.
[/QUOTE]

Also thanks for Zombie Gunship^^^

Thanks, it is pretty fun!

Manny Pacquiao: Pound for Pound is one of the FAAD featured games right now.
"Manny Pacquiao: Pound for Pound is a new 3D action fighting game series starring the Filipino athlete and international superstar, Manny Pacquiao, who is portrayed as a martial arts action hero. Pound for Pound is created for a wide gaming audience featuring accessible game mechanics, and will be available on iOS supported devices such as iPad, iPad and iPod Touch.
Pound for Pound: Volume I takes gamers through narrative arcs, intense action and addictive game play, as Manny the martial arts action hero battles through the dark world of heinous villains on a mission of justice. Gamers not only wield Manny’s legendary combination of pummelling punches with his lightning fast hands, but have access to new items that will improve Manny’s fighting power."

Glow Hockey 2
is another FAAD freebie.
"Glow Hockey delivers a new style of hockey game. Easy to play, hard to master. Challenge yourself with the computer opponents or play with your friends!"

Wisp: Eira's Tale
is the latest OpenFeint FGOTD.
"• Guide Eira the wisp through 3 different worlds with 10 levels each.
• Avoid being consumed by Fáfnir’s corrupted blood.
• Collect elemental power-up’s from Earth, Fire and Ice.
• Collect achievements with Game Center and OpenFeint integration.
• Experience the soothing and relaxing Nordic inspired music."

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back