iPhone and iPod Touch Games - Ongoing Sales

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Since the old thread was getting too large, I made this new thread to continue.

Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

Apple iPad Information

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iPhone or iPod Touch, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try these sites for do it yourself replacement parts & fixes.
    iFixit Touch Repair Guide ; iFixit iPhone Repair Guide ; TechRestore

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't seen this reported anywhere except on The Unofficial Apple Weblog. (TUAW.com). A developer figured out how to make a web based game not needing approval from Apple, or requiring flash. It runs slow on my 1st gen iPod but maybe it will run faster for you? Anyway the link for instructions on how to install and play are at http://mrgan.tumblr.com/post/257187093/pie-guy It looks similar to Pac-Man. The installation process involves you making a Safari shortcut to the game on your homescreen.

[quote name='adxsoft']Just a heads up that "Moonz" for iPhone/iPod Touch is currently on sale for $0.99:[/QUOTE]

Looks fun, just bought it :)

I was really hoping for another Peggle sale since I missed the last one (didn't have an iPhone or Touch and didn't know if I'd ever get one) ...I would have loved a sale on Oregon Trail as part of Gameloft's sale as well.

Super Shock Football is free, and it's a fairly original and well done game.
Flickitty is free to, not as impressive as Super Shock Football but still not bad.

A fairly good day for free games from what I can tell...

Search the iTunes store for Game Loft and any of your favorite companies to see their deals. The smart companies change the icon to reflect a sale. Electronic Arts also has games on sale. Several have BF sales going on. I love the 99 cent sale game. Perfect for an impulse buy/play.

Correction, that's super KO boxing 2 that's on sale. Also, it looks like all of Glu's games are on sale (ie Glyder is $.99)

also, NFL 2010 and Defender Chronicles are both $.99

Glyder is epic win a $0.99. If you're at all into a serene flying game, definitely pick it up. I suppose the game last upward sof 3-5 hours depending on how thorough you are. There's a system of achievements including gem collection, timed flight paths and more precise flying maneuvers which makes the game very rewarding.

Super KO Boxing 2 just had an update in which they allowed you to skip boxer intros (Finally) and added a... very... very frightening extra boxer to the roster.

Also, I second Mr. Driller as terrible controls. It is a great Mr. Driller package with great presentation and music, but the d-pad is just AWFUL.

Decided I would bite on Mr. Driller. I can't remember if I have ever played a Mr. Driller game before and this would also work as a test subject for games with a d-pad or joystiq. I remember trying Pac-Man and hating the onscreen control pad.

[quote name='miriamleo']Anyone know which version of Monopoly is better?[/QUOTE]It looks like the original board version just came out a week ago, so I think I'm going to go with that one, and hope it's good. I love Monopoly, so I'm definitely buying one of them now that they're on sale. And I definitely like the original property names over the new ones.

I think I'll also grab NFL 2010 and that Glyder game since people have such great things to say about it. I also want The Sims 3, but don't know if it's worth dropping $5 on when I haven't played Sims 3 on PC in months.

Just grabbed a bunch of $0.99 games, mostly from Gameloft.

Blades of Fury
Brothers In Arms: Hour of Heroes
Castle of Magic
Hero of Sparta
Terminator Salvation

Also got:
Backbreaker Football
Spore Origins

Wondering if NFL 2010, Real Tennis 2009, Chuck Norris: Bring On The Pain!, or Auditorium are worth the money?

[quote name='miriamleo']Anyone know which version of Monopoly is better?[/QUOTE]

I enjoy my World Edition one...it's nice because it adds a diff look at the classic Monopoly...sad to say that I usually play a full game against the AI during church service every Sunday morning haha. It's quite a fun little game!

[quote name='TheBiz']Just grabbed a bunch of $0.99 games, mostly from Gameloft.

Blades of Fury
Brothers In Arms: Hour of Heroes
Castle of Magic
Hero of Sparta
Terminator Salvation

Also got:
Backbreaker Football
Spore Origins

Wondering if NFL 2010, Real Tennis 2009, Chuck Norris: Bring On The Pain!, or Auditorium are worth the money?[/QUOTE]
Nice. Terminator Salvation's Demo rocked.

[quote name='miriamleo']Anyone know which version of Monopoly is better?[/QUOTE]
I don't own both, so I can't provide an opinion other than the original Monopoly version is quite competent, pass-and-play is available and implemented as best as can be expected. Fully polished and well animated. There are some minor house rules you can tweak such as free parking rules, starting cash, landing on GO!, whether properties a player passed on are auctioned off or not and things like that. Memory allowing, your most recent game will be saved even if your game is interrupted (quit, phone call) and it also provides a slot style save & quit system that allows for multiple active games.

There has been discussion about in-game ads and after playing for an hour or two on and off the worst I've seen is after a completed game they try to get you to check out other EA games, which I could imagine being a minor hassle if you accidentally accept, but otherwise is non-intrusive and I've already gotten in the habit of knowing not to hit that particular checkmark.

I imagine the Here and Now version is at least somewhat similar and ultimately probably comes down to whether you prefer the new style game or classic monopoly.

Cyber Monday - just confirmed Star Rangers will drop to $0.99 for Cyber Monday only.
http://appshopper.com/games/star-rangers
There's also a lite version for free.

Great deal for anyone into 3D space shooters with classic "conserve resources/health" strategy. Basically fans of Star Raiders or Star Trek will love it. Multiplayer update is on the way, too.

This is one of the more in-depth OpenFeint implementations I've ever seen. You can post your scores, which is cool, but also challenge people to beat your score on specific scenarios you have encountered which, as far as I know, is quite unique.

Bought the original Monopoly ($3) and NFL 2010 ($1) so far. I really don't play games on the iPod that much, so I'm not sure if I'm going to grab anything else, although I'm interested in the Brothers in Arms game for $1 and The Sims 3 for $5. Too many cheap computer games (Overlord and KotOR) and great 360 deals recently to buy a bunch of iPod games.

Are there any games that are usually pretty expensive or loved by a lot of people, that were put up for a $1?

out of the sales so far, the best most worth it deal is defr Terminator Salvation, with Brothers in Arms close behind.

I just got Krazy Kart as well and can recommend it for .99. I play with touch controls and it plays great.

Agree with RelentlessRolento. People that love Mario Kart would have a blast with Krazy Kart. Great graphics and the controls are smooth.

Definitely worth the $0.99!

[quote name='darkmazda']Agree with RelentlessRolento. People that love Mario Kart would have a blast with Krazy Kart. Great graphics and the controls are smooth.

Definitely worth the $0.99![/QUOTE]

Still debating on this one as Cocoto Kart is pretty darn good as well (and I bought it being the cheaper game to being with).

Smiles is a great game (really two games, Zen and Drop), and it's currently 40% off at $2.99. I've been playing this puzzler since I got my iPhone, and no matter what other games I get, I keep coming back to this one.

Check out Smiles Free to see what it's like.

[quote name='awp']Still debating on this one as Cocoto Kart is pretty darn good as well (and I bought it being the cheaper game to being with).[/QUOTE]

just checked out the video for Cocoto Kart Racer. Looks fun!

I hate you cuz now I just clicked on the "BUY App $2.99"! LOL ;);)

Thank you for the suggestion awp!

[quote name='jcp42877']I'm quite enjoying Beneath a Steel Sky...it's a quirky little adventure game; well worth the $0.99[/QUOTE]

Agreed, I'm making my way through it as well. The hint system is great as some of the stuff is obscure or when I just want to get past a certain part.

[quote name='jcp42877']I'm quite enjoying Beneath a Steel Sky...it's a quirky little adventure game; well worth the $0.99[/QUOTE]
me too. this is a must if you're into adventure games.

[quote name='LuisRM']Agreed, I'm making my way through it as well. The hint system is great as some of the stuff is obscure or when I just want to get past a certain part.[/QUOTE]

totally agree! sometimes i find myself stuck & am like "wtf do i do with this item?!" haha...and backtracking leads me nowhere...so i just use the trusty hints

Just got an iTouch this past weekend as a gift and I'm really surprised at the amount of quality games on iTunes (even the free ones). I really like the free tower defense games. :applause:

GROUND EFFECT! It's a really cool, high-speed ekranoplan racing game which started out at $3.99 so this is a great price. (Yes, I am biased, but it's true).

Can't post you a link but the video's on YouTube - search "ground effect" iphone :)

I'm BIG on 33rd Division. It's a path drawing game that offers two unique things to the genre.

1. You're guiding soldiers to avoid enemy's cones of vision, sneaking game style.
2. The BEST part: You can choose your own pace. ABOUT fuckING TIME HOLY CRAP. You can tap to summon the next soldier while the others are on their way or waiting for an opening. You can make the game as frantic as you want, and if you play for time (Guys getting through is the only way to recharge the clock), you'll need to manage that like a pro.

I'll be the proud owner of a 32GB 3rd gen iPod Touch this season and without derailing the thread, is there any must have apps/games? Seems to be a billion of each so if anyone can point me in the direction of a good FAQ or site, much appreciated.

Considering you didn't give any input as to what types of games you like, Jodou, I'll give you my top choices as a cross section of iPhone gaming. These might not all be for you, but they are my favorites. I'll also include the time I would think it would take to complete the main story (or gameplay feature) of the games to give you an idea of the value. Keep in mind, though, that I'm listing these games as my top choices on the system, so I've definitely found replayability to double, or even triple, the noted game lengths.

Alive 4-ever ($2.99 - dual stick zombie shooter with lots of blood and missions - 4+ hours)
Eliminate pro (Free - online FPS - unlimited replayability)
Fieldrunners ($2.99 - highly polished tower defense that's about to get new DLC - 4+ hours)
geoDefense Swarm ($1.99 - excellently animated vector graphic tower defense - 8+ hours)
Glyder ($0.99 - serene flying game with collectibles and achievements - 3+ hours)
Minigore ($0.99 - dual stick shooter that's about to have a huge update - 1+ hours)
Moto X Mayhem ($0.99 - physics motocross game - 1+ hours)
Need for Speed Undercover ($4.99 - beautiful and well produced racer - 3+ hours)
Peggle - ($4.99 - plinko inspired puzzle game - 3+ hours)
Wolfenstein RPG ($1.99 - turn based FPS RPG - 5+ hours)

So that's $23 worth of games, less than half the retail cost of a new current generation title. You'll find that the iPhone provides exceptional gameplay value for consumers, and you'll probably start expecting a lot for your dollar. I will suggest that you don't hesitate to play some of the games that cost $2-5, as often those are some of the best even considering the magic $0.99 price tag that many iPhone gamers demand.

[quote name='iowaholdem']Considering you didn't give any input as to what types of games you like, Jodou, I'll give you my top choices as a cross section of iPhone gaming. These might not all be for you, but they are my favorites. I'll also include the time I would think it would take to complete the main story (or gameplay feature) of the games to give you an idea of the value. Keep in mind, though, that I'm listing these games as my top choices on the system, so I've definitely found replayability to double, or even triple, the noted game lengths.[/QUOTE]
I'm pretty much open to all walks of life, so that's why I didn't list any genres. All I'm looking for is time-wasters with good replay value as an anti-boredom kit. I stopped buying portable gaming systems after I realized I only ever play them in my room lol. I'm mostly getting a touch to upgrade the capacity of my old iPod plus net browsing on the go, so the games/apps are just icing for me. Thanks for the ideas!

Well the best games for time wasters that I listed there would narrow it down to Glyder, Minigore, Moto X Mayhem and Peggle. All of those can be picked up and enjoyed for 10 minutes or less, but can also last many hours.

bread's done
Back