iPhone and iPod Touch Games - Ongoing Sales

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Since the old thread was getting too large, I made this new thread to continue.

Apple iPhone & iPod Touch games in the App store are constantly going on sale. While I originally posted games and prices in this post, it's become almost impossible to keep up with it all. Feel free to post in this topic on good deals and games you enjoy. Developers are also encouraged to join in, especially if they are running promos or sales.

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Drop Sites

App & Game Review Sites

Apple iPad Information

Important Notes:

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iPod\iPhone. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.
  2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.
  3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday.
  4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.
  5. Make sure to backup your purchases in iTunes to CD/DVD for safe keeping. You can do this by clicking File-->Library-->Backup to Disc. Then choose all purchases, applications only, and full or incremental backup. How often is up to you, but I do this monthly, or more often if I buy a lot of apps.
  6. Apps can be redownloaded without incurring an extra charge if you previously purchased it. This is good if you have a crash and forget to backup your purchases. I don't know if this is a permanent feature so backing up regularly is still important.
  7. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores, receiving cards as gifts, etc are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.
  8. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check the iTunes Store support site. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.
  9. If you somehow break your iPhone or iPod Touch, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try these sites for do it yourself replacement parts & fixes.
    iFixit Touch Repair Guide ; iFixit iPhone Repair Guide ; TechRestore

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='blk00civicsi']The server is being moved ATM but Blacksmith games is giving a game away for free daily all month. Once back up and running you'll see what the next game is tomorrow. As most of you have already stated 33rd Division is the free one today.

http://appventcalendar.com/[/QUOTE]

def worth a watch people.

Starting to regret getting an 8 GB. Some of these games are pretty large and with my music collecion, I'm full and am having to juggle things back and fourth. I'm almost due for a new phone. Maybe i'll get a decent one for MP3 playing (which would piss the wife off as I tried to play off the iPod Touch as more than just a gaming machine).

Didn't see this posted in the last few pages (I was skimming so might have missed it) but EA is having a 80% of one game each day until x-mas. Here is there site with the games they have - http://www.eamobile.com/iphone-games?cid=258
Today is tiger woods golf for $2.99. The website looks like it doesn't reflect the new price but it should be 2.99, at least that's what there twitter account said, :).

[quote name='porieux']I always buy the largest size available. You can't (easily) add more space later.[/QUOTE]

Believe me. If money hadn't been an issue the 64 GB would have been mine. Lucky I was able to even sneak in the 8GB with the penny pinching wife.

Does Blacksmith Games even have any good iPhone games? Should I be watching for any sales in particular?

EDIT: And where the hell is the Minigore update? I know it was submitted only 8 days ago, so it's not through the approval process, but that update is way way way overdue. And while I'm on the subject of dual stick shooters, I unlocked the rocket launcher in Alive 4-ever. Awesome... xD

[quote name='iowaholdem']Does Blacksmith Games even have any good iPhone games? Should I be watching for any sales in particular?

EDIT: And where the hell is the Minigore update? I know it was submitted only 8 days ago, so it's not through the approval process, but that update is way way way overdue. And while I'm on the subject of dual stick shooters, I unlocked the rocket launcher in Alive 4-ever. Awesome... xD[/QUOTE]

I think Blacksmith is just promoting this. I dont think either of the games offered so far were their games. I'm sure there will be a day or two with some of their games but I'm pretty sure they're working with other publishers too to promote this.

[quote name='sweepy76']Didn't see this posted in the last few pages (I was skimming so might have missed it) but EA is having a 80% of one game each day until x-mas. Here is there site with the games they have - http://www.eamobile.com/iphone-games?cid=258
Today is tiger woods golf for $2.99. The website looks like it doesn't reflect the new price but it should be 2.99, at least that's what there twitter account said, :).[/QUOTE]

Hope Modern Combat is one of those (that is EA, isn't it?)

[quote name='awp']Hope Modern Combat is one of those (that is EA, isn't it?)[/QUOTE]

I want to say the game is by Gameloft.. but not entirely sure.

[quote name='awp']Starting to regret getting an 8 GB. Some of these games are pretty large and with my music collecion, I'm full and am having to juggle things back and fourth. I'm almost due for a new phone. Maybe i'll get a decent one for MP3 playing (which would piss the wife off as I tried to play off the iPod Touch as more than just a gaming machine).[/QUOTE]

You should definitely get Ground Effect if you haven't already - it's only 7.5mb :)

I don't know if anyone has mentioned it yet but Hook Champ's update came out. I think you have to beat the Bull level to play the new content though.

*decided against using the Hot Pants and will wade through the final level vanilla-style*

[quote name='Hostile']I don't know if anyone has mentioned it yet but Hook Champ's update came out. I think you have to beat the Bull level to play the new content though.

*decided against using the Hot Pants and will wade through the final level vanilla-style*[/QUOTE]

Your frank n beans will get cold!

[quote name='Hostile']I don't know if anyone has mentioned it yet but Hook Champ's update came out. I think you have to beat the Bull level to play the new content though.

*decided against using the Hot Pants and will wade through the final level vanilla-style*[/QUOTE]
You still have the skull levels to play through, and those make the Bull levels look like easy mode.

Update added the Rat levels, gave the dude the hot pants and let you play as the pirate chick. Pirate chick's gun upgrades cost a HIDEOUS amount of coinage though.

Rat levels are a damn sight better than the skull world's DURR TINY PILLARS AND LAVA FOREVER crapfest.

[quote name='RollingSkull']You still have the skull levels to play through, and those make the Bull levels look like easy mode.

Update added the Rat levels, gave the dude the hot pants and let you play as the pirate chick. Pirate chick's gun upgrades cost a HIDEOUS amount of coinage though.

Rat levels are a damn sight better than the skull world's DURR TINY PILLARS AND LAVA FOREVER crapfest.[/QUOTE]

All of this lingo that makes absolutely no sense to me... is making me want to buy hook champ. I tried the demo but didn't think it was worth full price. Was I wrong?

Chuck Norris game is tepid, but inoffensive. It seems like a room full of people who completely misunderstood Chuck Norris's meme made a game using him and the entire thing feels too LOL RANDUMB to actually impress anyone sober, even if they aren't sick of Chuck Norris facts. Still, for $1, it isn't too bad for a side-scroller-style game.

Surviving High School dropped in price like right after I bought it. So far, it seems to be an acceptable text-adventure style game; precisely what you expect. Know that you'll get decent quality, next to NO creativity (The nerd classmate says "Salutations." Ugh.), but not enough offensiveness to really throw you off. That said, I raged HARD at some of the arbitrary choices in the free DLC episodes. If you mess up even once, the game will give you a bad end, but only after you get all the way through, and with no multiple savegames. The main campaign seems to avoid such nonsense though as it isn't as linear... hopefully...

Archon and Archon Conquest are great for Archon fans.

My BargainBin watchlist, also soliciting suggestions:
Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Soosiz
Catan
I Dig It: Expeditions (The original was a lot of fun for a timesink.)

[quote name='j0dy77']All of this lingo that makes absolutely no sense to me... is making me want to buy hook champ. I tried the demo but didn't think it was worth full price. Was I wrong?[/QUOTE]

I bought it when it was $1. What is full price now?

And, yeah, I recommend Hook Champ simply because it is unique... in the GOOD way. Actually quite fun when you get the hang of it. There are some problems with it (The time trial bullcrap is just bullcrap at times.) but I think it's a blast.

That said, paying too much more than $1 sounds a little scary. How far does the demo take you, by the way? It gets better when you are actually timing jumps that are paced decently well and you have the better equipment.

EDIT: The recent content drop bumped the price down to $2. May as well bite if'n you're considering it.

[quote name='Dimsdale']Today's EA bargain is Auditorium for .99 It had a lot of good reviews so I went ahead and bit.[/QUOTE]
downloading the lite version now.

Edit: It's a pretty fun puzzle game. I think I'm going to pick it up. This energy flows and you have to redirect it by placing arrows into colored hoops and colored goals. Very casual. Very relaxing.

Edit: Actually nerve wreckingly frustrating beneath is's relaxing music and exterior. but in a good way. When the levels get difficult you have to place arrows perfectly... I mean you are sitting there trying to seat each one on the right pixel. Very addictive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just tweeted - follow Ground Effect on Twitter before Tuesday for the chance to win one of 10 promo codes. This is a clear-out before the update. :)

Twitter name is GC_GroundEffect

Getting a Touch next week......thanks to all for the great info in this thread!

Just found this: Cobra Command is only .99 for a limited time.......

Sigh, I don't believe I missed Auditorium. That game is cool ... in the flash version, anyways.
Downloading the Samurai thing now, hopefully it'll be good.

[quote name='Dimsdale']Electronic Arts has Wolfenstein (!) on sale for .99 today. Very tempting.[/QUOTE]

Something up with the site cause every time I try and buy the app it gives me an error.

[quote name='Dimsdale']Electronic Arts has Wolfenstein (!) on sale for .99 today. Very tempting.[/QUOTE]

Wolfenstein RPG, that is.

(Not Wolfenstein 3D Classic)

Wolfenstein RPG for $0.99?! That game is awesome, but I was convinced it'd never drop below the $2.99 price point when I bought it. Excellent, no brainer deal at $0.99.

Noob question---I just ordered an iPod touch but won't get it til Friday. Can I still buy these games while they're on sale, then transfer them to the iPod?

Also, if I upgrade to a new iPod a couple years from now, will I be able to transfer my games to the new one?

Yes, I did ask this in another thread and realized this is the more viewed thread. So there.:)

[quote name='darrenaero']Noob question---I just ordered an iPod touch but won't get it til Friday. Can I still buy these games while they're on sale, then transfer them to the iPod?

Also, if I upgrade to a new iPod a couple years from now, will I be able to transfer my games to the new one?

Yes, I did ask this in another thread and realized this is the more viewed thread. So there.:)[/QUOTE]

Yep, just download iTunes and get all the apps through there. Just sync up your Touch once you get it and you're good to go.

I need the names of everyone with the Hook Champ update. I want to try out the multiplayer (or is it just ghost trading) stuff that comes with the beauty that is OpenFient.

I beat all the rat levels. Not as hard as skull but the rat is blazing fast so you can't waste your shells. You'd better land a hit on that rat!

Yeah the pirate chick's gun is over priced. So strange. 1200 for level 4? You'll be done with the Rat levels before that.

Overall the new update is great and I look forward to more levels. They can even go beyond simple speed runs and slow things down for a more exploration minded game. It's possible!

My OpenFeint name is DrVaughn.

I don't like how the rat levels are all about FIND THE ARBITRARY HIDDEN GOLD OR YOUR SCORE IS CRAP

BUT YOU CANT EXPLORE BECAUSE THE RAT IS FASTER THAN A THOUSAND [omitted for racism]

bread's done
Back