It took 108 years but this is finally home of the World Series champs Cubs!

ryosnk

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
Chicago's Very Own thread

9/11/ 2010 Meetup - at Galloping Ghost Arcade - Brookfield IL
top row:shieryda, CAG 79, ryosnk, slowdive21, mrosnwo, chi.bri
bottom row: Blackout, Ruben (ryosnk brother), dpac andWeaponX2099
chicagocags.jpg

Home of the 2013 stanley cup champions - chicago blackhawks!

Home of the 2009-2010 stanley cup champions - chicago blackhawks!

Hello, I am a Chicago guy so I would like to start a Chicago thread so maybe we can help each other out by letting Chicago area cheapasses find cheap deals.
:D

-Saturday, April 5 at 3PM Dunaly's on the Square 3137 W. Logan Blvd.-

7/31/2007
Would anyone be interested in a CAG Chicago meet up at game works (in woodfield)? They have a special for $10 on thursday for all you can play from 9 to midnight.

More info here: http://www.gameworks.com/events_deta...?location_id=6

HOME OF THE 2005 WORLD CHAMPION CHICAGO WHITE SOX
sox1.gif

20176977.jpg

Chicago member List (Now I know who gets my games :wink: j/k)

akilshohen
Apossum
Birbo
bobo2k4
Chickenhawk
Darkside Hazuki
Dpac
EdS25
FlipSide
Flybrione
Gameboy415
heffaji
JJAPPLE
jaykrue
jonnyfivealive
Johnny Postman
Jonny Polychronopoulos
Loserboy
mario23air
Maynard
Minqqq
peccosan
Prepster
Ragingbull2380
Rig
rly723
Rocksolidaudio (1up located in San Francisco)
ryosnk (Addison and austin)
SEGA128DC
SeraphiMichael
shadd01
shieryda (located near Six Corners)
Slipknot9762
souNReAL
Stoneage
tmei03
tqm11
Vicious
Walt Jay
Watchman
WeaponX2099
Wiseguy

Here are some little known stores in the Chicagoland area.

VideoGames Etc.
4351 N. Harlem
Norridge, IL 60706

Gamerz Garage
6128 Cass Ave
Westmont, IL 60559

Message originally posted by ryosnk on 04-19-2004 at 05:31 PM:

I'm going to be a dad! 10/02/07

Last edited by ryosnk : 12-11-2006 at 01:38 PM.

Last edited by ryosnk : 12-11-2006 at 01:38 PM.

Last edited 3/25/08 at 1:40am

last edit 8-21-08 5:12pm

Last edited by ryosnk; 09-12-2008 at 01:12 PM.
Last edited by ryosnk; 09-25-2008 at 03:21 PM.
Last edited by ryosnk; 10-01-2008 at 03:00 AM.
8/27/2010
GO WHITE SOX AND CUBBIES! Maybe next year!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ryosnk']Would anyone know were I can purchase arcade mahines in Chicago?[/quote]
Well, it's not quite "in" Chicago, but the arcade in the Golf Mill mall (next to JC Penney?) has a few machines for sale, though the owner doesn't want to part with them for cheap. I just went two nights ago, and it was the first time I'd been to an arcade in years.

man, i haven't checked this thread in quite a while. anyhow, i now work at the lincoln village (lincoln and kedzie) EB if anyone wants to come say hello and discuss cheap deals...
:)

[quote name='dpac'][quote name='ryosnk']Would anyone know were I can purchase arcade mahines in Chicago?[/quote]
Well, it's not quite "in" Chicago, but the arcade in the Golf Mill mall (next to JC Penney?) has a few machines for sale, though the owner doesn't want to part with them for cheap. I just went two nights ago, and it was the first time I'd been to an arcade in years.[/quote]
I thought they completely moved over to some other mall

[quote name='rocksolidaudio']man, i haven't checked this thread in quite a while. anyhow, i now work at the lincoln village (lincoln and kedzie) EB if anyone wants to come say hello and discuss cheap deals...
:)[/quote]
That's great. That EB's where I got my copy of Katamari Damacy (after a little trade-in, that is).

[quote name='dpac'][quote name='rocksolidaudio']man, i haven't checked this thread in quite a while. anyhow, i now work at the lincoln village (lincoln and kedzie) EB if anyone wants to come say hello and discuss cheap deals...
:)[/quote]
That's great. That EB's where I got my copy of Katamari Damacy (after a little trade-in, that is).[/quote]

i was one of the three pre-orders there for it before i worked there. me, my future boss and future asm.

Overall its nice to see alot of ChicagoLand people contributing in this topic. I created a list of people that are within the ChicagoLand area so we can know and maybe ask for some assistants. Like always I would be happy to help any CAG with games or info. I posted the list of Chicago members in the first post.

[quote name='rocksolidaudio']i was one of the three pre-orders there for it before i worked there. me, my future boss and future asm.[/quote]
I may have to stop by there again once Alien Hominid (PS2) drops down in price. (Well, either there or a local TRU; not many B&M's seem to be carrying that title.)

[quote name='dpac'][quote name='rocksolidaudio']i was one of the three pre-orders there for it before i worked there. me, my future boss and future asm.[/quote]
I may have to stop by there again once Alien Hominid (PS2) drops down in price. (Well, either there or a local TRU; not many B&M's seem to be carrying that title.)[/quote]

I wouldn't hold off to long. I played the GC version and I have to say this is one of the most innovative games I have played this year, an awesome title. The mini games are awesome. Pick this one up while you can, believe me you will not be dissapointed.

Chicago Ridge Mall has a new name!!!...

I went to Chicago Ridge Mall yesterday (January 7th) and, to my surprise, it has a new name. Right when you walk in [the Eatery], there's a message on the door that reads: "Chicago Ridge Mall is now Westfield Shopping Towns". I was like "WTF!!!!". I admit, I was pissed. I was JUST there on Sunday (January 2nd) and it was still called "Chicago Ridge Mall". So whatever they did happened in just 5 days, maybe less! I'll never get used to saying "Westfield Shopping Towns". I'm still pissed. Oh well, times change. Just thought I'd let fellow Chicago [area] gamers know about it.

Anyone know if any FYE's/Coconuts are closing?
In the topic about the specific closings, someone said the Saturday Matinee is closing. I know the FYE at North Riverside mall isn't closing cause nothing looked strange. I don't know if the Coconuts in Northriverside or the on by the green line on harlem is closing.

I got this from IGDA.

March 2005 (date tba) – Hear from Veterans of Chicago Gaming during your own private night in the Museum of Science and Industry’s Game On Exhibit, a gigantic exhibit on video games, including over 150 playable games.

Chicago Veterans so far will include:
Ed Boon, creator of Mortal Kombat
George Gomez, creator Spy Hunter
Mark Turmell, creator of NFL Blitz
Joel Seider, 18 years experience in gaming
Eugene Jarvis from Raw Thrills
Richard Ditton, designer and programmer of Capcom Bowling, Time Killers, Journey, and Domino Man at Incredible Technologies Larry Hodgson, VP of Product Development, designer and programmer of the Golden Tee Golf series, Rim Rockin' Basketball, and Hot Shots Tennis among others at Incredible Technologies.

Happy New Year!

Carrie
IGDA Chicago Coordinator

Just wondering: Anyone here remember the locally produced videogame fanzine "Game Rave" ?? It was bi-monthly ( I think) & I'd buy it at MicroPlay (95th & Ridgeland).

Made some rounds this past week of FYE/Coconuts and so far the only one closing I've seen is the Saturday Matinee at Old Orchard.

Checked and still going....

Golf Mill - FYE
Rand Road - FYE
Harlem/Irving - FYE
North Riverside - FYE
Cermack/Harlem - Coconuts
Lake/Harlem - Coconuts
Diversey/Sheffield - Coconuts
Randolph/Wabash - Coconuts (Slim model PS2 in stock!)
Belmont/Kimball - Coconuts
53rd St/Lake Park - Coconuts

Meant to check the FYE at Ford City but it blew up - They phased out games few months back anyway so no bother.

If anyone wants to post other stores that are still going, I'd appreciate it.

Also for those looking for the good Best Buy GGC's, the North Ave store seems to have gotten some. Saw about 50 on racks near the front register in case you need to stock up.

Hmm, do you mean the $19.99 and up, GGC? The last time, I seen the GGC's at the North Avenue, Best Buy was on Black Friday. I searched the entire store and only found seven of the $19.99 and up, GGC's...

You have to search hard to find them at the best buy in the hip mall. Would any of you know where I can pick up a ddr metal pad for cheap in Chicago area? I find them online but the shipping is high and I would like to test it.

Sup all. I live in the northside of chicago and ryosnk i seen the old post you made about windycity. The north ave store closed sadly due to being robbed to much, while the cicero one closed also. Sucks since they had great games too.

Southsides what it's all abooot! Anyways, walked into the Blockbuster in Tinley today and saw a used copy of Rez for 9.99. I passed it up because I personally don't care for the game and thought I'd leave it for someone who might enjoy it. It's probably still there since it's only 5 here and I was in there at 3:40, (I doubt they get that many customers during this period, ya never know).

[quote name='eman157']Sup all. I live in the northside of chicago and ryosnk i seen the old post you made about windycity. The north ave store closed sadly due to being robbed to much, while the cicero one closed also. Sucks since they had great games too.[/quote]

That place in north/cicero was nice. The guy used to hoook me with games. Thats were I got panzer dragon saga and burning rangers for cheap :).

[quote name='SEGA128DC']Hmm, do you mean the $19.99 and up, GGC? The last time, I seen the GGC's at the North Avenue, Best Buy was on Black Friday. I searched the entire store and only found seven of the $19.99 and up, GGC's...[/quote]

Yes.. the $19.99 green/silver ones. They are in the endcap by the register closest to the front door. I was surprised to see so many myself.

[quote name='Johnny Postman'][quote name='SEGA128DC']Hmm, do you mean the $19.99 and up, GGC? The last time, I seen the GGC's at the North Avenue, Best Buy was on Black Friday. I searched the entire store and only found seven of the $19.99 and up, GGC's...[/quote]

Yes.. the $19.99 green/silver ones. They are in the endcap by the register closest to the front door. I was surprised to see so many myself.[/quote]

Hmm, are you referring to the light-green/reflective silver GGC, right? I think those are the 2005 GGC's, that have an expiration date. Either way, I'm going to get a few this week. Thanks for the tip, Johnny Postman...:D

By the way, what exactly do you mean by "endcap?"

We'll a very wonderful friend of mine is having a video game
tournament in Chicago. Here are some details.

Events:

-DDR Max 2
-Guilty Gear/Street fighter 3: Third stike
-Marvel vs Capcom 2/Capcom vs Snk

*Each event is a $10 entry fee. So for all three events it would
cost you $30.

*First place price is $60 on each event.
*Second place price is $20 on each event.
*No third place prize.

So overall, you can win $180 if you enter and win all three events.

The date is January 22, 2005 at 3:00 p.m. (practice time)
and the tournament will begin around 4:00 p.m.

4051 N. Milwaukee
Chicago, IL 60641
If you got questions please email my friend at [email protected].

Hey I was on the gamestop located on Harlem and Lawernce and they had two tubs of preorder items for free. I got the POP art book, warcraft novel, and a few demo cd's. Also please check out the post atop of this :roll: .

[quote name='ryosnk']We'll a very wonderful friend of mine is having a video game

Events:

-DDR Max 2

cost you $30.

*No third place prize.

4051 N. Milwaukee
Chicago, IL 60641
If you got questions please email my friend at [email protected].[/quote]

That would be great but the weather and my vehicle prevent me from getting that far now. Post some spring events when you get them.

there's currently a box of like 40 strategy guides sitting in the communal garbage of the lincoln village eb. if anyone can make it out there tonight, they're yours.

For my south suburbs & NW Indiana brothers:

Toys R Us in Matteson has a handfull of PSOne screens in stock for $23 each.

Toys R Us in Merriville IN has PSOne combos for $60 each. Hope this helps somebody out.

[quote name='Birbo']For my south suburbs & NW Indiana brothers:

Toys R Us in Matteson has a handfull of PSOne screens in stock for $23 each.

Toys R Us in Merriville IN has PSOne combos for $60 each. Hope this helps somebody out.[/quote]

Don't call, just go. They will just tell you they have none over the phone.

so guys, what do you think about a get-together/swap meet? i don't really feel like organizing another gaming session right now (sorry to those who missed the last one), but what about just meeting up for dinner, discussion and introductions, and bringing any games we want to trade/sell? thoughts?

[quote name='rocksolidaudio']so guys, what do you think about a get-together/swap meet? i don't really feel like organizing another gaming session right now (sorry to those who missed the last one), but what about just meeting up for dinner, discussion and introductions, and bringing any games we want to trade/sell? thoughts?[/quote]

Hey that would be cool, I go to something like that.
Is their a place in chicago with cheap rates where I can get a truck or uhaul to pick up a arcade machine in Madison, WI?

[quote name='ryosnk'][quote name='rocksolidaudio']so guys, what do you think about a get-together/swap meet? i don't really feel like organizing another gaming session right now (sorry to those who missed the last one), but what about just meeting up for dinner, discussion and introductions, and bringing any games we want to trade/sell? thoughts?[/quote]

Is their a place in chicago with cheap rates where I can get a truck or uhaul to pick up a arcade machine in Madison, WI?[/quote]

Take a bus to madison and rent the UHaul here. You can just drop it off in Chicago then. I'm actually in Madison by the way

[quote name='greendj27'][quote name='ryosnk'][quote name='rocksolidaudio']so guys, what do you think about a get-together/swap meet? i don't really feel like organizing another gaming session right now (sorry to those who missed the last one), but what about just meeting up for dinner, discussion and introductions, and bringing any games we want to trade/sell? thoughts?[/quote]

Is their a place in chicago with cheap rates where I can get a truck or uhaul to pick up a arcade machine in Madison, WI?[/quote]

Take a bus to madison and rent the UHaul here. You can just drop it off in Chicago then. I'm actually in Madison by the way[/quote]

Thanks but the uhaul will charge me $50 to rent and then two dollars a mile/plus I have to refill the tank. The machine will cost me only $300 and I dont want to waste more then $100 extra in rental and fees.

[quote name='ryosnk'][quote name='greendj27'][quote name='ryosnk'][quote name='rocksolidaudio']so guys, what do you think about a get-together/swap meet? i don't really feel like organizing another gaming session right now (sorry to those who missed the last one), but what about just meeting up for dinner, discussion and introductions, and bringing any games we want to trade/sell? thoughts?[/quote]

Take a bus to madison and rent the UHaul here. You can just drop it off in Chicago then. I'm actually in Madison by the way[/quote]

Thanks but the uhaul will charge me $50 to rent and then two dollars a mile/plus I have to refill the tank. The machine will cost me only $300 and I dont want to waste more then $100 extra in rental and fees.[/quote]

You can rent the uHaul trailer for a flat rate and you don't pay any mileage. It would only cost $20 if you got the small one.

[quote name='ryosnk']Anyone get good games from CC?[/quote]

i didn't even bother looking. hopefully the big sale is truly this coming weekend.

[quote name='ryosnk']We'll a very wonderful friend of mine is having a video game

Events:

-DDR Max 2

cost you $30.

*No third place prize.

4051 N. Milwaukee
Chicago, IL 60641

_____________________________________________________________[/quote]

Hey, who won the games? I didn't check through this thread, so maybe it was already answered. What did the first place do (song wise) to win the tournament.

Hey Rig, I was unable to attend the tournament (sick) so I don't know.

Anyone getting any good games/items from the sale on tru?

(Got it from teamxbox)

Videogame Exhibit Debuts at Chicago Museum
Press Release
Feb. 15th, 2005 10:55 am
Game on: The History, Culture and Future of Video Games, will make its North American debut at the Museum of Science and Industry on March 4, 2005. This major exhibition explores the vibrant world of video games from 1962 to today and the effect that these games have had on our contemporary culture.

In an interactive environment full of projected sights and sounds, Game On details the game design process, including conceptual drawing, character design and sound. The exhibit also investigates how geography and culture play a role in game development by examining games in Japan, the United States and Europe. A look at developments in gaming hardware— from the colossal computers of the early 1960s to the recent consoles such as Xbox, GameCube and PlayStation 2—helps to illustrate how content and technologies work together to create amazing new products.

Along the way, children and adults alike will be enthralled by the interactive world of gaming as they have the opportunity to play more than 125 games that illustrate the exhibit content.

Game On is powered by Exelon, proud parent of ComEd, and sponsored by EB Games and Pepsi.

“The video gaming industry has had a unique influence on the world’s culture,” said David Woody, the Museum’s director of design and development. “Visitors to Game On will discover how the video game phenomenon emerged from both an artistic and technological perspective, not just in the United States, but around the globe. They will also be able to see how that phenomenon has influenced other aspects of popular culture, including movies, magazines and music.”

Game On runs through September 5, 2005. The exhibit consists of 17 “levels” or areas, each one introduced by a different member of the “Game Family”—a mother, father, sister and brother who take museumgoers through an exhibit tour. As guests move through the exhibit, they will discover the key creative people who make games happen, including graphic designers, programmers, 3-D modelers and engineers. The illustrations of Chicago artist David Lee Csisko will bring the Game Family and the exciting, pulsating world of video games to life with a flurry of color, movement and characters.

“Game On gives kids a new view of an industry that has come to the forefront of our popular culture,” said Jean Franczyk, the Museum’s vice president of Education and Guest Services. “Many children today have grown up with video games, but now they have a chance to learn about the history, science, art and technology that is behind those games.”

In Level 1: Early Games, guests will learn about the genres first games. The area features the 1962 game SpaceWar!, the first game to be developed on a computer with a vector monitor; 1972’s Pong; and rare artifacts such as original publicity materials and early merchandise.

It takes up to 40 people to build and market a successful game, and in Level 4: Making Of, guests will learn why. The game design process from concept drawing to packaged product will be examined in this area, focusing on some of the most important games of recent times including the Pokémon phenomenon and Tomb Raider. Each display will include original artwork of character sketches and environmental designs.

How does sound and music enhance the game experience? Level 9: Sound will explore early music from the 8, 16 and 32-bit eras, sound effects and composed music for games. Visitors will be able to play games that have made music their theme including Rez and Space Channel 5. Additionally, this area looks at how game developers and publishers are now showcasing new bands and artists in their game titles, and even hiring film composers to write game soundtracks. Guests will be able to listen to tracks that illustrate this music.

Level 10: Chicago Style will demonstrate Chicago’s role in the video game world, which has been significant ever since Midway Games starting publishing arcade games in the mid-1970s, including Space Invaders in 1978 and Pac-Man in 1980. Guests can play games like Incredible Technologies’ Golden Tee Live, 2005 from these native developers.

A range of emerging technology and content trends will be showcased in Level 14: Future Games, indicating the shape that gaming may take over the next decade. This section will include Japanese “communication games,” PlayStation 2 USB camera technology—a revolutionary new type of games interface from Sony— and the latest 3rd generation phone technology.

Game On was organized by Barbican Art Galleries, London in collaboration with the National Museums of Scotland. The exhibit will have an additional charge of $5 per guest. To ensure a positive experience for all ages, Game On will not feature any mature (“M” rated) game content.

The Museum of Science and Industry's mission is to inspire the inventive genius in everyone by presenting captivating and compelling experiences that are real and educational. Located at 57th Street and Lake Shore Drive, the Museum is open every day of the year except December 25. Regular Museum hours are 9:30 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. Monday through Saturday and 11:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. on Sunday. General admission pricing is $9 for adults, $7.50 for seniors and $5 for children ages 3-11. City of Chicago residents receive a discount on general admission; general admission is free on Mondays and Tuesdays through March 15, 2005. The Museum is supported in part through the generosity of the people of Chicago through the Chicago Park District. For more information, visit the Museum's Web site at www.msichicago.org or call (773) 684-1414 or (800) GO-TO-MSI outside of the Chicago area.

bread's done
Back