L4D - The Sacrifice by Oct 5 1&2 - Gen. Discussion & Info -

It's sort of funny because, I also feel that it's a little soon for a sequal (and I bought this game far earlier than I normally buy games, even with a buy 2 get 1, still ran about $40 used, but got it in early December).

And yet, even if the game isn't 'complete', who's to say what's complete. It's an online game, overall, there seems to be enough play given to justify the price tag.

I have to be honest, I don't want to pay $20 for an expansion, unless it's pretty much the size of the original game. So, bigger budget, I'm not sure it isn't time for a sequal.

Plus, the IP is hot at the moment, why wait 2-3 years, where it may cool down.

im hoping this gets people back in l4d on 360, because as of now, im so bored with the game because of crappy players

There's a gameplay video on gametrailers. Looks like a lot of the same. Same Special Infected, same weapons (seem to be reskinned though).

[quote name='Lone_Prodigy']There's a gameplay video on gametrailers. Looks like a lot of the same. Same Special Infected, same weapons (seem to be reskinned though).[/QUOTE]

or not?
[quote name='lord_kefka']
Gamespot's video coverage just had a marketing guy from Valve on (missed the name: my bad)

5 Missions - All will be ready for Versus and Survival out of the box.

There will be another multiplayer mode: no hints given

"20 new weapons and items" - I think this was a misleading statement kinda, since he referred to a new shotgun, a new sniper rifle and a new assault rifle. So I'm guessing those count. Axe, Chainsaw, and Frying pan melee weapons.

Hints at the military involvement.

Game set in the South obviously. New Orleans would be the final map point.

3 new special infected including the one from the trailer with the gimpy arm.

Director system will affect the weather and even some of the pathways in the stage. Example given: the placement of cemetery plots and the path through could change. [/quote]

Yeah, they actually put a lot into the game. I read a blog about it, and it sounds great. Granted, it's the same engine and stuff, but I don't think DLC would cover it.

I just got the Game of the Year edition...I might just throw it back on Goozex and get my 1000 points back. Of all the companies, I wouldn't have expected Valve to do this. An expansion, yes, similar to the Survival pack, but not a brand new game with no support for the current one.

[quote name='Sparta Omni']Just keep it man, L4D is awesome and the new one doesn't come out or another 5 months.[/QUOTE]
But why keep it when i can get 100 points (about $50) back. I mean, from the sound of things, there aren't many people online, and who wants AI as teammates in 'off'line mode?

Wow, a lot of people complaining about this. I picked up L4D two months ago and without knowing there was a sequel coming, I've enjoyed the hell out of it. If you bought it and enjoyed it, why would this announcement change anything?

I'm looking forward to the addition of melee weapons.

[quote name='whiptcracker']Wow, a lot of people complaining about this. I picked up L4D two months ago and without knowing there was a sequel coming, I've enjoyed the hell out of it. If you bought it and enjoyed it, why would this announcement change anything?

I'm looking forward to the addition of melee weapons.[/QUOTE]
The problem is this announcement likely just caused a lot of people to hold off on buying the L4D1, which means fewer people online to play with...

[quote name='whiptcracker']Wow, a lot of people complaining about this. I picked up L4D two months ago and without knowing there was a sequel coming, I've enjoyed the hell out of it. If you bought it and enjoyed it, why would this announcement change anything?

I'm looking forward to the addition of melee weapons.[/QUOTE]

What SynGamer said added with the pretty big lack of support for this game. Survival mode was not really all that great IMO and the 2 maps they put in for versus should have been there in the first place. If it were another company other than Valve, I think it wouldn't come off as bad, but they are usually much better about showing support for their games and making them last a while.

Even if Valve continued to support L4D1, all the attention will be on L4D2. The simple fact that it's a sequel means it's better than the first one (weather effects, more weapons, new SI, new game mode), and who wants to play an inferior, older game? Yes it may still retain the hardcore community ala CS 1.6/CoD2/etc., but L4D is not a "hard" game by any means (it's really random), and when you only have expert players on L4D1, that drives away new players.

So unless you love the original four or want to spend a lot of time with mods, then yes L4D1 will continue to thrive. Otherwise, everyone's jumping to L4D2 come November.

Regardless, I bought L4D1 when it was half-price and I definitely have gotten my money's worth in terms of entertainment.

and that's why I respect Valve because people, myself included, did not feel that a sequel so soon was justifiable but being the incredible company that they are they responded to the complaints immediately with a statement.

Can't wait for the game now.

glad i'm not the only one that thinks the sequel was released really quickly. I just got L4D over the weekend, though I'm loving every second of it, it sounds like they rushed L4D2.

Played it! It was pretty much the same thing as (L4D1), although I really dislike the characters. And I'm really worried that it is going the Dead Rising approach, I was hoping for a more realistic one.

And anyone liked the last 4 characters? They're so annoying, generic and stereotypical it's sickening.

That said, L4D2 to me, will be the same as the first one.

Mindlessly Killing zombies with friends. Nothing wrong with that, but I don't expect a good story, pleasing characters, or major updates really.

I'm hoping that they release this as a budget title, or as a part of another Orange Box type arrangement. It would be even better if they did a "re-make" of the original + L4D2 on the same disk....day one purchase.

[quote name='Sparta Omni']And anyone liked the last 4 characters? They're so annoying, generic and stereotypical it's sickening.
[/QUOTE]
How can you not like Louis?! He has the best wussy scream when a horde downs him. You don't expect that from the character who's original design matched that from a character on The Wire. Plus how was it stereotypical? They have a black character who isn't talking in slang/ebonics in a game! That's as far from stereotypical as far as I'm concerned. That and a female that isn't about clevage and random T&A.

Maybe not so much stereotypical, but mainly they're just the most generic type of cast you can get.
Old navy vet guy, wussy black guy, wannabe tough chick, and mean biker guy.

Not that I care, I love the game for what it is, I just don't expect that part to get any better, and that's fine with me. I'm not attached to them in any shape or form.

I Wouldn't really say generic, but whatever. Though I only have a fondness of Louis because whenever I play with friends no one would ever play as Louis so we'd be in the Jesus room and hearing his wussy screams and laughing.

They said L4D2 they're going to try and do more characterization as the game/levels progress. How much so I don't know, but something tells me it's not going to make anyone like the characters more then the first one.

This was my wife's game of the show at E3. It was hard to get a good sense of it playing just one level with two other random people (that sucked), but it was awesome to see new enviroments, new weapons, incendiery bullets and new enemies.

I'm glad they went ahead and announced this. I was planning on getting L4D:GOTY, but now I think I'll just save my money wait for the sequel. Considering that I used to live in the "Dirty South," the setting of the game is more appealing to me anyway.

Why would you get the original's GOTY edition when the original edition is cheaper and you can just download what's on that disc for free?

[quote name='KingBroly']Why would you get the original's GOTY edition when the original edition is cheaper and you can just download what's on that disc for free?[/QUOTE]

Because it has a pretty red border.

yeah it's looking real dope, I have to agree with many people though that this isn't so much different that it's going to warrant a $59.99 price tag though.

If they release this game for $39.99, i'll be satisfied.

A surprisingly underwhelming display to say the least. Still a day one purchase but certainly not one I am pleased with at all. ;\

Left 4 Dead 1 won't be a waste. Valve said there's still more in the pipe for that game even after L4D2 releases. Supposedly some pretty big things. I'm thinking it's gotta be a brand new fullsized chapter? Maybe the option to play as zombie in singleplayer, that's what I want, at least so all achievements don't have to be played for online.

Putting the preorder in on EA.com, even though I don't really like the sequel a year after the original idea. I got some $10 cards from BestBuy for half off, so I'm getting it for $30 and free shipping, which is a good enough deal for me to buy this game after having so much fun with the original. I'll watch the video on Kotaku, but otherwise I'll try and let this game suprise me like the first one did.

http://kotaku.com/5352506/left-4-dead-2-impressions-jockeys-and-swords

Highlights -

-New Special Infected revealed- "Jockey". Hops on a survivor’s back and “rides” the survivor away from the group. Only way to get him off is to have your teammates shoot him.
-Revised the Charger will no longer charge the entire group, will aim for one person immediately and push them up against a wall or other object.
-New “common infected” – bulletproof, fireproof, higher health, clown that makes noise and causes more common infected to appear
-Revised AI Director – No longer will you be able to camp during crescendo scenes, you will have to hit one switch and then make your way to another switch. Camping will cause infinite spawn of zombies.
-Special Infected is smarter – Special Infected will now work together ex. a Charger will ram you into a puddle of Spitter “acid”, Spitter’s will place acid inside of safe rooms or other strategic points
-Melee weapons will not break
-Some new melee weapons – Japanese sword, cricket bat. Meele weapons will not break. Each also has different offensive quirks.

Wow the Jockey would be insanely effective on narrow terrain: drive a Survivor over a rooftop or a ledge, and then have him/her Smoked and it's gg.

Nice, the map editor will be available Day 1 and be much better than L4D1's. I'm not surprised, since the SDK was released so late.

[quote name='SynGamer']$39.99 seems like a sweet spot. Just traded L4D1 so $40 is as high as I'll go.[/QUOTE]

Maybe the PC version will retail for that but I highly doubt the 360 will retail for anything less than what all the majority of new-released games retail for.

[quote name='Galego23']http://kotaku.com/5352506/left-4-dead-2-impressions-jockeys-and-swords

Highlights -

-New Special Infected revealed- "Jockey". Hops on a survivor’s back and “rides” the survivor away from the group. Only way to get him off is to have your teammates shoot him.
-Revised the Charger will no longer charge the entire group, will aim for one person immediately and push them up against a wall or other object.
-New “common infected” – bulletproof, fireproof, higher health, clown that makes noise and causes more common infected to appear
-Revised AI Director – No longer will you be able to camp during crescendo scenes, you will have to hit one switch and then make your way to another switch. Camping will cause infinite spawn of zombies.
-Special Infected is smarter – Special Infected will now work together ex. a Charger will ram you into a puddle of Spitter “acid”, Spitter’s will place acid inside of safe rooms or other strategic points
-Melee weapons will not break
-Some new melee weapons – Japanese sword, cricket bat. Meele weapons will not break. Each also has different offensive quirks.

[/QUOTE]

Not too shabby Mr. CNN. ;P

The Jockey sounds like a royal pain in the f*cking ass as I'm not looking forward to catching an assault rifle blast in the back of my head because of it. Knowing my luck I'll reach last stand health in the middle of a horde afterward. Digging the immortal melee weaponry thus far as now I get to fulfill my fantasy of becoming a black urban samurai legend. As crazy as it sounds I'm also fond of constantly being on the move during crescendo moments. It's not going to stop me from getting my samurai sword spam on.

well, so close to modern warfare is going to force me to wait til this gets some kind of special. Can't wait to get my friends going on this though for breaks in cod.

meh

Left 4 Dead 2 Scavenge Mode Preview: Giving Multiplayer The Gas

By AJ Glasser, 12:00 AM on Thu Oct 8 2009, 14,500 views (Edit, to draft, Slurp) Copy this whole post to another site
Slurp cancel
progressIndicator_roller.gif

select site advertising consumerist deadspin defamer fleshbot gay fleshbot gawker gizmodo idolator io9 jalopnik jezebel kotaku lifehacker valleywag artists gawkershop sploid

Valve says the sole purpose of Left 4 Dead 2's new multiplayer mode, Scavenge, is to provide the game "quicker, even more frantic gameplay" than the versus mode has to offer.
That's hard to imagine given the blinding speed at which us games journalists tore through the normal versus mode while waiting for the developer to set up Scavenge matches. But two lightning-quick rounds a lot of incoherent howling later, the whole thing had gone by so fast that I almost didn't grasp what had happened. Luckily, I wrote it all down.
What Is It?
Scavenge is a new multiplayer mode in Left 4 Dead 2's lineup. It still pits four Survivors against a zombie horde dotted with special class Infected. But the catch is that the Survivors have to gather as many of 16 cans of gasoline throughout a map to fill up a generator while the zombies do their best to stop them, kill them or destroy the gas cans. The whole thing is timed and each gas can fed to the generator adds 20 seconds to the clock. The mode plays to three rounds with victory going to whoever got more cans total (and if there's a tie, it goes to who got the most in the least amount of time).
What We Saw
I played two matches of Scavenge on the Xbox 360 in a noisy club with a slew of other games journalists.
How Far Along Is It?
The game is out November 17.

What Needs Improvement?
It's WAY Too Easy to Generator-Camp: The map we were playing on had the all-important generator planted in the bottom of a drained pool at a motel. There was absolutely nothing to prevent an Infected from climbing into the pool and camping the generator so that the survivors couldn't successfully fill the generator (which takes about as much time as executing a heal or reviving a partner).
The Spitter Is All-Powerful: Gas cans are vulnerable to gunshots as you might assume they would be. However, they're especially vulnerable to the Spitter's saliva after they've been picked up. I don't mind that the Infected can rain on the Survivor's gas parade, of course, but I think it's not fair that the Spitter gets to have all the satisfaction of exploding a can of gas in a Survivor's arms with a well-aimed expectoration. Also, the Spitter can camp the generator without actually being there just by spitting in front of it to block a Survivor from getting close enough to pour the gas.
What Should Stay The Same?
Strategic Gas Can Placement: Aside from camp-vulnerable position the generator was in, the gas cans were spread out in a perfect way to challenge Survivors. Here and there, there would be clusters of three cans up on a roof you could throw down to waiting Survivors for a quick run back to the generator. But eventually, the cans come down to singletons spread out so far from each other you have to split up to get them in a timely fashion.
It's Fun And It's Frantic: I didn't think it was possible to speed up the experience of Left 4 Dead's versus mode – but there you have it. Scavenge goes by extremely fast (hence the three-round setup) and it's all the more fun for it. You're still getting all the weapons and desperate give-and-take of switching between Infected and Survivor factions that you would normally have. But at the same time, you're savoring it in an entirely different, gas-soaked way.
Final Thoughts
The katana is your best friend. I'm just saying.

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/10/12/left-4-dead-2-achievements-confirm-final-campaigns-detail-new-f/

The Achievement aficionados over at Xbox360Achievments.org have uncovered the Xbox 360 Achievements for Left 4 Dead 2. The Achievements offer some insane challenges -- "Survive a campaign on Expert skill with Realism mode enabled" -- and, if accurate, also confirm the recently uncovered "Dead Center" and "Hard Rain" campaigns. The Achievements also detail some new features and confirm other rumored features, most notably a defibrillator which can be used to revive teammates. Also mentioned is an adrenaline power-up to boost speed, deployable ammo upgrades and ... a bile bomb. We really hope that last one does what we think it does.

Head over to X360A for the full list (warning: watch for spoilers ... and Tanks).

Update: A Valve representative has confirmed the veracity of the two posters as official, saying simply, "They're legit."

I think the best news of all is this achievement:STRENGTH IN NUMBERS15
gp-g.jpg
Form a team and beat an enemy team in 4v4 Versus or Scavenge.

I'm really hoping this means that we can join games as a party.

I'm just glad theres no more beat all campaigns on expert, or survive a campaign without getting damaged by a special.

I still don't have those on L4D 1.

[quote name='Chris Dillon']i hope i can pry enough people away from cod for this. Having 4 friends with this game makes life a lot better.[/QUOTE]

I was under the impression that a lot of people were going to buy this as "side game" to Call of Duty come November. Atleast thats what most of my friends will do.

Granted a lot are still upset over the price, but so many people pay $60 for Madden every year. So whatever.

bread's done
Back