L4D - The Sacrifice by Oct 5 1&2 - Gen. Discussion & Info -

[quote name='Anexanhume']

L4D was designed to be a multiplayer game. It is 1000x times more enjoyable with others than going solo. Therefore, your criticisms of it not having a story component to it are utterly irrelevant. It has adequate voice overs and one-liners to give the characters personality and make them likeable. That's all that matters.

Moreover, you're posting in an xbox 360 forum. Are you really going to pull the elitist/puristy FPS card when you're not even on the right platform for said asshattery?[/QUOTE]

You're right. L4D is entirely a multiplayer game. So why do they charge full price for half of a game? And why do you idiots put up with it? And if one liners is good enough character development for you, then go watch a Disney movie. Us real gamers committed to narrative will continue to push the media beyond what you think capable.

HA!! Name a console that's better at shooters than the 360. Psst, don't say PC because that's neither a console nor a platform. It's in its own league. Have fun squinting and shooting off screen whilst playing the Conduit, or sitting through 90 minute cutscenes in MGS4 for the rest of us.

[quote name='slickkill77']Yea, no. You're an idiot. They made Half Life 1/2.[/QUOTE]

As I said. Valve aren't good developers. Thanks for proving my point with more evidence.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Not to really continue this but do you think these people understand that no one gives a shit that the game has no in depth story but them.

I find it halarious how they keep pointing this out like its some type of secret.[/QUOTE]

Idiots don't mind. Gamers do.

Hey just go away and stop trolling. Your not funny and your not cute. Go away. Actually you'll just go on my ignore list. Everyone else should do the same.

[quote name='jd_james_427']As I said. Valve aren't good developers. Thanks for proving my point with more evidence.[/QUOTE]

You sir are an idiot

[quote name='jza1218']Anyone know if Gamestop will be doing a midnight opening for this game?[/QUOTE]

Highly unlikely, but ask your local. It depends on each stores preorders if they're doing one. I wouldnt bet on one for this.

Eh....L4D2 demo was a big meh for me and I was really pumped for it.

Felt the same as the first to me. Sure, there were plenty of changes, but I feel like they are minor/cosmetic and not really game-changing. Feels like an expansion more than a full-fledged game

I'll probably buy L4D2 what it drops in price, but the demo wasn't really impressive at all.

It reminded me of how Koei does *** Warriors. Lots of cosmetic changes, but overall everything seems the same. Which isn't neccesarily a bad thing. I just didn't expect it from Valve.

[quote name='BigPopov']I'll probably buy L4D2 what it drops in price, but the demo wasn't really impressive at all.

It reminded me of how Koei does *** Warriors. Lots of cosmetic changes, but overall everything seems the same. Which isn't neccesarily a bad thing. I just didn't expect it from Valve.[/QUOTE]

It'll be $40 at Kmart on Black Friday, which is like a week after release.

[quote name='archibishopthedoge']Looks like I was wrong again :D

For whoever asked, my local Gamestop is doing a midnight for both this and Assassins 2, so check with your local.[/QUOTE]

I was going to, until I found out I am working that Monday. Even working from home, I dont finish up until 1230, so its not worth it.

[quote name='SoulReaver']Eh....L4D2 demo was a big meh for me and I was really pumped for it.

Felt the same as the first to me. Sure, there were plenty of changes, but I feel like they are minor/cosmetic and not really game-changing. Feels like an expansion more than a full-fledged game[/QUOTE]
Kind of how I felt. The melee weapons don't change the game that much. Although I want to try the chainsaw. I have it on preorder from Amazon so if I am really getting into COD MW2 I might cancel l4d2 and wait for a price drop on it.

Agree about the underwhelming demo: the locations are different (daylight now) but it's still pretty linear. Yes the Infected are more realistic and the new items and weapons are nice, but again it doesn't seem like something that you would need a whole new game to implement.

The most interesting part for me was the timed crescendo, where you can't camp it out: it gives a sense of urgency to the team. But then again after you've played that part a dozen times you'll know exactly where to go and it's not like the hordes get bigger the longer you wait.

Coming from a long time PC gamer that played HL 1,TFC, HL 2 ad-nauseam. I was not sure about the lack of story for L4D

I never bought or played the first and tried the demo for 2 last night. Had lots of fun with it and can understand why people like the game so much. I don't feel it's worth full price but 40 bucks sounds pretty good.

The strange thing is I had a shotgun and guitar(exchanged for my pistol). However, when I got took down waiting to be revived;I had my pistol again and was able to shoot zombies?

Wow, I was pretty much sold on this game from day 1, but after trying the demo on XBL I've decided not to purchase this game at full price. I'll wait until it has a price drop (and not the game credit thing Amazon's doing- an actual price cut).

The demo was boring, and I don't know... Not really that fun. This is the first time that playing a demo of a game has actually persuaded me NOT to purchase a game.

I'm excited as hell for tomorrow. Almost wish I had the foresight to schedule work off for tomorrow :D

I liked the demo upon first playing it but wasn't sure if I'd still find it as addictive as I found the first one. The demo's definitely grown on me since I first downloaded it and I'm finding myself just as eager as ever to get my hands on the full game. The melee weapons are a potential game changer IMO. They're critical in situations where you're being overwhelmed and reloading either your pistol or main weapon would result in damage and you've already exhausted the number of melee swipes.

I tried the demo last night, never having play L4D before, and I wasn't terribly impressed. I struggled with the analog stick controls without a lock-on ability, and I'm just not sold on the game concept. Also I seemed to run into dead ends left and right. A very limited world. Perhaps that's just the demo, though?

I tried playing with real people and didn't last very long and neither did they. So I tried playing with computer controlled AI and they just holed up in a store and didn't leave. There wasn't much of anywhere to go anyway.

OK so im bored and keep seeing the left 4 dead 2 commericals on tv so i thought why not and downloaded the demo

I never played left 4 dead before and I'm instantly fallen in love with the game now im sad i didn't preorder it lol

Last edited by a moderator:
going to a Browns game ever is a pretty solid fail. haha.

New special infected impressions from last night:

Jockey - there's a bit of a 'Smoker' learning curve here. You will probably hate this one at first but I ended up having a lot of fun with it after a while. Even in the worst scenarios you can usually jump on someone and take them at least around a corner. In the best the rest of the team is too distracted/caught up in a horde to get to him as you gallop away!

Spitter - Plays a bit like the Boomer as it works best in tight spaces, preferably from above. If there's a group of survivors in a tight alleyway then you're golden to get some solid shots in. Survivor is incapped and you can just keep throwing the acid down to keep the others away from saving him or just dealing out damage as they suck it up and go for the save. The more wide open levels the Spitter is kind of a waste. The range is ridiculous but it's easy to just have the survivors scatter.

Charger - Probably my favorite right now. Hunter on steroids. It's been hilarious so far to see people getting a running charge in hopes of catching a survivor. I've found it's easier (not sure if the damage is different though) to grab as close as possible and hope you're heading in a direction with room. Works great if there's a lone or even a duo of survivors coming around the corner. Has a pretty excellent knock back for those not hit, but still close.

Played online with two other friends just now and we were fine. There were slight hic-cups here and there, but nothing game ending. Some complaints are the partner AI feels ALOT more stupider this time around. As in a multiple times a Jockey or Charger are on me and my AI partner just looks on dumb founded for a few seconds before taking action.

Besides that though the game feels like ALOT more variety then the first one. That and it does feel a bit more difficult, but then again this game has much more memorable set pieces as well (plus more encourages running and gunning versus standing still and attacking). That and closets are much more harder to come by in this game, so when someone dies they maybe gone for awhile longer.

Also the first time you come across the fire bullets is a big "HOLY SHIT!" moment when dealing with a mob.

[quote name='bardockkun']Some complaints are the partner AI feels ALOT stupider this time around. As in a multiple times a Jockey or Charger are on me and my AI partner just looks on dumb founded for a few seconds before taking action.[/QUOTE]

This. Last night in the car alarm part of The Parish I got smoked and then a spitter spit right below me, and the AI wouldn't shoot the smoker, the smoker tongue, or come melee me because I was in the spit. So I went from 80+ health to death in normal gameplay difficulty. Pissed me off.

However, that's my only complaint, also. Other than that, loved the game, can't wait to actually play online.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Some people in the NBA 2K league thread said online connectivity was horrible so far for LFD2. Is this an accurate statement?[/QUOTE]

Not that I've seen. I had no issues last night.

I do agree with others that the AI is a lot stupider this time. I can't count the number of times that I was caught by a charger or smoker and the AI just stood there until I was almost dead. I came close to dying on Normal difficulty, which is a bit unusual for the l4d series. Other than that quirk, the game is much improved over the original. It's really what the original should have been...

Seems like the lag was getting better over the course of the evening. At 8 eastern I tried to get a versus game going with 6 friends and if we did dedicated everyone would be lagging and if we did local the host and maybe 1-2 others would be okay, but most in red.

Later we just did campaign, locally hosted and it went smoothly though the server did crash and we had to restart but it was only about 5 minutes into the game.

I got the game and I played multiplayer. They should have called it Lag 4 Dead 2. The lag is absolutely horrible, rendering it almost unplayable.

I have read solutions if you choose local host instead of dedicated server, the game may work, but the lag is still terrible.

Any other thoughts?

The official server is absolute trash right now. Guaranteed lag. Hosting a game yourself (local) is your best bet at a reasonable experience but aside from those minor issues, the questionable length of some campaign levels and the increased difficulty making public match ups with randoms that much more of a waste? Tch, I'd have to say Valve has impressed me. Solid game is solid. With all of the added content and upgrades in the game mechanic there's no way in hell IMHO this could have been done as DLC.

Well done and definitely one of the few games capable of pulling me away from MW2 without a hint of hesitation.

[quote name='seanr1221']Get a better connection? Local works great for me when I host.[/QUOTE]

Haha, well duh. No matter your connection if you're hosting it you'd be fine. I assume his problem was more if other people did it local and he was lagging still, which is something I came across too depending on who in the room was hosting. There should be a way to search by region or something.

[quote name='ubernes']Haha, well duh. No matter your connection if you're hosting it you'd be fine. I assume his problem was more if other people did it local and he was lagging still, which is something I came across too depending on who in the room was hosting. There should be a way to search by region or something.[/QUOTE]

Are you sure?

Does the game work like if you are "hosting" the game, then your connection becomes the host connection? Or does it try to find the best connection within the game, then that player is the host.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Are you sure?

Does the game work like if you are "hosting" the game, then your connection becomes the host connection? Or does it try to find the best connection within the game, then that player is the host.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, if it's a local server whoever is the host of the room hosts the game. We did this like 4-5 different times with different people hosting and restarting the game. The game's host always had full bars and the rest varied on location. Closer you are to the host the better. Though my buddy down the road had a terrible connection, but another in Long Island (i'm in Brooklyn) had a good one. I think my friend with the bad one was just having problems with his internet.

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.'] With all of the added content and upgrades in the game mechanic there's no way in hell IMHO this could have been done as DLC.
[/QUOTE]

Definitely. I always laugh a little bit when I still see people saying this should have been DLC because 9 times out of 10 they're people who don't own the full game and don't know how silly it is to think the new additions were small enough to be DLC.

Yeah, the servers were awful when I played with a friend yesterday that lives just down the road, even if it was just us two (and another friend that was on his Xbox) playing. He switched it to his own server or whatever, and it was smooth.

I really like this game so far. It's a lot of fun, but I think the first game has a certain charm that this game won't have.

I Kinda find more charm in this game to be honest. The characters and the dialouge give each of them more personality then the first. Though I do miss Francis' wussy screams.

bread's done
Back