L4D - The Sacrifice by Oct 5 1&2 - Gen. Discussion & Info -

[quote name='draven1089']Monsta Mack has anyone told you that your avatar pic looks like a cross between House and Gorden Freeman LOL[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure that was the idea...

This game is going to kick so much more ass than Left 4 Dead (1). Hopefully it will be as graphic as I'm hoping for with the chainsaw and all the melee weapons. Definitely looking forward to this one.

so I played the demo.. it plays just like the original which isn't such a bad thing but I'm still a bit disappointed I was hoping for a completely new experience. New weapons and melee are nice but they don't significantly change anything from Left 4 Dead.

L4D2 is just like a better more-refined L4D, but it's obviously still a Day 1 purchase me because L4D was such a great game even though they are raping our wallets with the $54.99 price tag.

This game might have avatar rewards:

Left 4 Dead 2 will award the avatars of skilled Xbox 360 gamers with frying pans, themed T-shirts and med kits, according to text found buried in the game's demo by Steam forum posters. Steam poster Fade Guy said he found a list of Avatar Awards in a file that also mentions a commentary mode featuring audio be Gabe Newell for the game.
Here's the full list of Avatar Awards and how you earn them, according to Fade Guy:
Med Kit: Earned by beating all five campaigns.
Bull Shifters Shirt: earned by winning 10 games of Versus.
A Left 4 Dead 2 shirt: Earned by winning 10 games of Scavenge.
Zombie Hand Shirt: Earned by killing 10,000 Infected.
Depeche Mode Shirt: Earned by rescuing Gnome Chompski from the Dark Carnival.
I believe this will be only the second game to support Avatar goodies that you can unlock through gameplay.
Almost all of the content in L4D2 uncompressed and viewable [Steam Forums]
http://feeds.gawker.com/~r/kotaku/full/~3/5NuEZSUFMmI/left-4-dead-2-getting-avatar-awards

Seems pretty cool.

NP.

Scratch the above "rumor" though...it's confirmed:
depechemode_102809.jpg

Over on the Steam forums, there was some hullabaloo earlier about potential Avatar awards for the Xbox 360 version of L4D2, all stemming from uncompressed files found on a dedicated server for the PC demo. Well, we're glad to inform you that Valve has confirmed Avatar awards will be included with the game (via G4) and that there will be a total of nine different Avatar rewards, six of which we currently know about.

These awards will run the gamut from a med kit backpack to a frying pan prop right down to Rochelle's Depeche Mode shirt you see above. And, unlike some other Avatar awards, you won't need to max out Gamerscore to get 'em; L4D2 Avatar awards unlock after you've completed more manageable tasks, such as winning ten games of Versus or killing 10,000 infected.

If you want to see some of the items in the flesh, head past the break for a virtual tour courtesy of G4.
http://www.joystiq.com/2009/10/28/left-4-dead-2-getting-avatar-rewards/

Thanks draven for that video you posted a page ago. This game looks nice, hopefully they refined the arcade pace they made with the original.

Played this last night and jesus christ I dont know if a game can be any more than a day 1 must buy.

The overall feel of the game is much better than L4D1 and the new graphics are amazing. I shotgunned a zombie in the back and it blew a hole big enough for me to see his rib cage.

The new SI are pretty good and add a new challenge to the game.....other than the jockey which sole purpose seems to be just pissing you off. The melee weapons worked out really well and I didnt know you had to trade your pistol to get one.

I love the new way cresendo (sp sorry I am typing from a phone) moments are used. If you havent played it (slight spoilers I guess) you find yourself in what looks like a trailer and one you start the cresendo you have to sprint through a maze like barricade to turn off the alarm. Playing on expert I have already had a crazy time getting through that section with everyone alive.

Game is sick bottom line.

Those of you who have the demo on 360, how did you get the code? Were there specific retailers that gave them out? I preordered from Amazon and I never got anything.

has anyone got a free xbox 360 left 4 dead 2 demo code that they do not wish to use, if so sould you PM me the code. Thanks.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Those of you who have the demo on 360, how did you get the code? Were there specific retailers that gave them out? I preordered from Amazon and I never got anything.[/QUOTE]

I pre-ordered mine from Gamestop and you needed to go in the store to pick up the code. They didn't call me, I was lucky enough to find an article on-line about it.

I don't know if it's specific retailers but I don't think it would hurt if you e-mailed Amazon about it.

didn't have time to go to gamestop, downloaded the demo on a cdr, got a chance to play it this morning. Awesome game
Old cast is better but i'm liking the new cast, uncle phil

Just in time for Thanksgiving break. The realism video of Hard Rain looks awesome. I can't wait to play this online with a good group. Left 4 Dead is one of those games that I can play for hours on end. I can't wait to see the finales. I saw part of the Parish finale on the bridge and it looked amazing.

So is expert harder than realism mode? In that video she shot her teammate and barely did any damage.

[quote name='E_G_Man']So is expert harder than realism mode? In that video she shot her teammate and barely did any damage.[/QUOTE]

Maybe Realism Mode has its own set of difficulties as well?

On the plus side, more weapons kept things interesting and made some teammates more valuable than others. A few extra enemies kept things a bit fresh, and they didn't feel overpowered like the witches or tanks in the first. I really like the new dismemberments, and I love that bodies actually fly through the air when a pipe bomb explodes rather than disappear in a puff of red blood.

Overall.. if you liked the first, you'll like the second. I just don't know that it's worth a buy to me.

I don't understand the appeal of Left 4 Dead. 1. There's no actual aiming, it's only firing from the hip and 2. There is no narrative, no story, no point to the entire series. Without an emotional bind to the characters, why should I care if they live or die? I do not care enough about the characters to play, and the gameplay itself is a reason not to care.

This sequel is nothing more than the same noob gameplay with crap characters. The only difference being a smattering of different weapons (none of which you can actually use effectively), new settings (which did nothing than to rile up the easily offended PC crowd), and the same enemies being called different names. If you're stupid enough to waste $60 on what should be $10 DLC for an already crappy game, then good. It will clear out all the noobs from the real online shooters for quite some time.

[quote name='jd_james_427']I don't understand the appeal of Left 4 Dead. 1. There's no actual aiming, it's only firing from the hip and 2. There is no narrative, no story, no point to the entire series. Without an emotional bind to the characters, why should I care if they live or die? I do not care enough about the characters to play, and the gameplay itself is a reason not to care.

This sequel is nothing more than the same noob gameplay with crap characters. The only difference being a smattering of different weapons (none of which you can actually use effectively), new settings (which did nothing than to rile up the easily offended PC crowd), and the same enemies being called different names. If you're stupid enough to waste $60 on what should be $10 DLC for an already crappy game, then good. It will clear out all the noobs from the real online shooters for quite some time.[/QUOTE]

You weren't held enough as a child, were you?

Always the same tired arguments, mostly from people who play by themselves. The appeal of this game is teamwork. Just like Borderlands is likely boring by yourself, so is L4D. It's even better in Versus, when the Special Infected are played by others.

Oh, and part of the appeal is the lack of story. You're on the run, no communication, no safe haven. The objective of L4D is to survive. That's it. You have you, your weapons, and your teammates. There is no "end" to your story unless you die, or all the zombies are cured/wiped out. The feeling of "what am I fighting for?" amplifies the sense of helpnessness in the game.

EDIT: is the demo out today for everyone?

Yes.

I liked the new setting and music a lot, but there wasn't enough that was different to warrant a purchase imo. I'll get it when it's cheaper.

One problem I have had with this game since the first one is the melee. I know the games not totally realistic but the fact that you can just mash the LT(melee) over and over ruins it for me. If they scaled back the melee I might enjoy it more.

[quote name='Lone_Prodigy']Always the same tired arguments, mostly from people who play by themselves. The appeal of this game is teamwork. Just like Borderlands is likely boring by yourself, so is L4D. It's even better in Versus, when the Special Infected are played by others.

Oh, and part of the appeal is the lack of story. You're on the run, no communication, no safe haven. The objective of L4D is to survive. That's it. You have you, your weapons, and your teammates. There is no "end" to your story unless you die, or all the zombies are cured/wiped out. The feeling of "what am I fighting for?" amplifies the sense of helpnessness in the game.

EDIT: is the demo out today for everyone?[/QUOTE]

I play online multiplayer all the time, and the one occasion I did play L4D it was with my roommate and two close friends. The same friends I play MW, Halo, and Gears with on a daily basis. And we all agreed it was shit.

Sure, having a game mode where no story and all run and gun is great. It's called Horde from Gears of War 2. Sad that so many developers can't come up with their own ideas and just keep relabling old ones. Sadder still, is that fools like you waste money on what is 1/3 of a real game. The only helplessness to be found in L4D is "why did I buy this game?"

It's out for all the gold members dumb enough to waste memory.

[quote name='Anexanhume']You weren't held enough as a child, were you?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Lone_Prodigy']Always the same tired arguments, mostly from people who play by themselves.[/QUOTE]

Because God-fucking-forbid anyone ever has a differing opinion of your precious favorite games on the internet. How dare he!

[quote name='jd_james_427']I play online multiplayer all the time, and the one occasion I did play L4D it was with my roommate and two close friends. The same friends I play MW, Halo, and Gears with on a daily basis. And we all agreed it was shit.

Sure, having a game mode where no story and all run and gun is great. It's called Horde from Gears of War 2. Sad that so many developers can't come up with their own ideas and just keep relabling old ones. Sadder still, is that fools like you waste money on what is 1/3 of a real game. The only helplessness to be found in L4D is "why did I buy this game?"

It's out for all the gold members dumb enough to waste memory.[/QUOTE]

Hmm...

Gears of War 2 - Release Date 11/7/2008
Left 4 Dead (1) - Release Date 11/18/2008

How interesting. Valve managed to originally "relabel" Epic's ideas in only 11 days. What wondrous logic you have. Or are you claiming that Left 4 Dead 2 is the relabel of Horde mode, when clearly it would be a relabel of L4D, which could not possibly have been a relabel of Horde based on the time difference.

Oh, wait, development of L4D started in 2005, well before Gears 1 was released, let alone Horde mode for Gears 2 was announced. Interesting. So, if anything, it could be more easily argued that Horde was the relabel of L4D, not the other way around.

How interesting...

You don't like the game. We get it. So, why exactly are you trolling this thread?

[quote name='slickkill77']Yes.

I liked the new setting and music a lot, but there wasn't enough that was different to warrant a purchase imo. I'll get it when it's cheaper.

One problem I have had with this game since the first one is the melee. I know the games not totally realistic but the fact that you can just mash the LT(melee) over and over ruins it for me. If they scaled back the melee I might enjoy it more.[/QUOTE]

The melee actually has fatigue now. Heck, it's been around for a couple months ever since they rolled out an update for the original.

Playing the demo made me realize how it's been so long since I last played it and realized how much I enjoyed Left4Dead. it also made me realize me and my friends have not played in a long while and it's going to take a bit of catch up to be able to play expert again.

I noticed that actually. I didn't play that title update. I think its just the way valve makes the game that pisses me off. It was the same thing in Half Life 2. The way you float instead of walk, melee etc.....For such a good developer I don't get why they are so lazy with their animations at times.

[quote name='Survivalism']Because God-fucking-forbid anyone ever has a differing opinion of your precious favorite games on the internet. How dare he![/QUOTE]

You're completely missing the point. What is the point of shitting on something someone else likes in hopes you can perpetuate the true x or y? It's a complete waste of time. Sure, you can explain why you don't like it, but going on some tirade and expecting me to give a shit is a tall order.

[quote name='Scorch']I honestly think I would enjoy this game a thousand times more if I could look down the iron sights.[/QUOTE]

Heh, I kept pressing the left trigger trying to :D

Im a bit torn on this. I enjoyed the demo to an extent. It was a bit short and my introduction to it was marred by a moron.

Side note: Got stuck with an absolute annoying bastard who kept screaming into his headset hurling abuse and insults, so me and another guy just started shooting him and left him for dead (pun intended obviously) without rescuing him. We lost and the next try we did the same thing, lost again at the bit where you gotta flip the switch, and did it again, and finally he left. I dont understand some people and how arrogant and angry they get over a video game, and a DEMO no less. Played again with different people and got through it fine, aside from another jerk who kept taking all the health kits. He'd heal himself and then take another one as he'd run ahead to the checkpoints.

Im probably just going to get it from Gamefly. I purchased the first one on day 1 and I was done with it rather quickly. With MW2, AC2, Demons Souls, Dragon Age, and a variety of other games I want/have on shelf, Ill pass on a purchase. I dont think it expands enough on the first one to warrant full price. Its still pretty much the same game as the first.

[quote name='jd_james_427']I don't understand the appeal of Left 4 Dead. 1. There's no actual aiming, it's only firing from the hip and 2. There is no narrative, no story, no point to the entire series. Without an emotional bind to the characters, why should I care if they live or die? I do not care enough about the characters to play, and the gameplay itself is a reason not to care. [/QUOTE][quote name='jd_james_427']

This sequel is nothing more than the same noob gameplay with crap characters. The only difference being a smattering of different weapons (none of which you can actually use effectively), new settings (which did nothing than to rile up the easily offended PC crowd), and the same enemies being called different names. If you're stupid enough to waste $60 on what should be $10 DLC for an already crappy game, then good. It will clear out all the noobs from the real online shooters for quite some time.[/QUOTE]

I had wrote this paragraph that was mocking this guy for being a over the top frat boy but got log out before I could post it. In summary, you are an idiot.

I dont understand what you guys mean when you say its pretty much the same game as the first one? How? With the new char, new weapons, new monsters, now settings, new modes and new cheese? What exactly is the same? The overall goal of working as a team to move from checkpoint to checkpoint is the same but that is what the series is based around so it wouldnt change.

All 3.5 halos are basically the same, both gears are basically the same. There are so many sequels that are basically identical to the original yet people rush out to pick them up. Most games that take 2 or 3 years to come out are still not that much different from each other.

The only recent game that would say is seems totally different is MW2.

I think a lot of people are still hung up on this "it game out in a year therefore most be crap" logic. To me it seems that valve found a way to do what takes other companies 2 plus years to do. How many games have you really been like "holy shit good thing that spent 4 years on this!"

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Callandor']Hmm...

Gears of War 2 - Release Date 11/7/2008
Left 4 Dead (1) - Release Date 11/18/2008

How interesting. Valve managed to originally "relabel" Epic's ideas in only 11 days. What wondrous logic you have. Or are you claiming that Left 4 Dead 2 is the relabel of Horde mode, when clearly it would be a relabel of L4D, which could not possibly have been a relabel of Horde based on the time difference.

Oh, wait, development of L4D started in 2005, well before Gears 1 was released, let alone Horde mode for Gears 2 was announced. Interesting. So, if anything, it could be more easily argued that Horde was the relabel of L4D, not the other way around.

How interesting...

You don't like the game. We get it. So, why exactly are you trolling this thread?[/QUOTE]

If by development of L4D started in 2005, you mean that a whole bunch of guys sat around a desk and said let's make a game about zombies, then yes, that's when development started. As it neared the point where Valve realized they actually had to make a game out of the nothing they had, they snatched onto the idea of Horde, which Epic announced years before Gears 2 came out, and decided to make it a game. Here's how it went:

Valve employee #1: Let's make a game about zombies!

Valve employee #2: Great!

Years later...

Valve employee #2: fuck! We haven't done any actual work

Valve employee #1: Looky here! There's an article on a new game mode. We could just take that, and not have to come up with a story or anything! All we need is a glorified random engine and people will buy it because we're Valve.

Valve employee #2: Brilliant!

And the standard for narrative in videogames once again slid far, far down.

[quote name='slickkill77']For such a good developer I don't get why they are so lazy with their animations at times.[/QUOTE]

You answered you're own question. It's because they aren't good developers.

[quote name='Soodmeg']
I dont understand what you guys mean when you say its pretty much the same game as the first one? How? With the new char, new weapons, new monsters, now settings, new modes and new cheese? What exactly is the same? The overall goal of working as a team to move from checkpoint to checkpoint is the same but that is what the series is based around so it wouldnt change.

All 3.5 halos are basically the same, both gears are basically the same. There are so many sequels that are basically identical to the original yet people rush out to pick them up. Most games that take 2 or 3 years to come out are still not that much different from each other.

The only recent game that would say is seems totally different is MW2.

I think a lot of people are still hung up on this "it game out in a year therefore most be crap" logic. To me it seems that valve found a way to do what takes other companies 2 plus years to do. How many games have you really been like "holy shit good thing that spent 4 years on this!"[/QUOTE]

Firstly, all those sequels are different to their originals because, wait for it, they have a different STORY. There's an actual progression of cardinal functions that you decide through a character. Halo, Gears, what makes those games great is not shooting everything, it the evolution of character. How the player bonds themselves to the protagonist.

Left 4 Dead, on the other hand, does not have a narrative, no story of any kind. So when all you do is shoot things in the first, what does matter when all you do is shoot things in the second.

And then you contradict yourself. If you say that all shooters are nothing but firing the same gun, why are you setting aside MW2? What makes that so different you're allowing it to slide by on your "every series is the same" ranting?

Every game I buy I think, "holy shit good thing that spent 4 years on this!" because I am a good gamer. I do my research, I know what games I am going to get the most out of. In fact, if you don't buy a game thinking, "holy shit good thing that spent 4 years on this!" then you have clearly spent your money wrong. That was obvious at the beginning because you're defending L4D.

[quote name='jd_james_427']If by development of L4D started in 2005, you mean that a whole bunch of guys sat around a desk and said let's make a game about zombies, then yes, that's when development started. As it neared the point where Valve realized they actually had to make a game out of the nothing they had, they snatched onto the idea of Horde, which Epic announced years before Gears 2 came out, and decided to make it a game. Here's how it went:[/QUOTE]

We get it, you don't like this game. Go back to playing Horde in Gears 2.

Why don't you take it a step further though? 4-player games have been around since Goldeneye. Zombie games have been around since Resident Evil. That's all L4D is: a zombie co-op game. Right? Highly unoriginal, yet an 89% metacritic aggregate from the gaming industry (which I can safely guess is more informed about games than you are) suggests otherwise.

In short, you're allowed to dislike this game, but pick a better reason why.

[quote name='jd_james_427']Firstly, all those sequels are different to their originals because, wait for it, they have a different STORY. There's an actual progression of cardinal functions that you decide through a character. Halo, Gears, what makes those games great is not shooting everything, it the evolution of character. How the player bonds themselves to the protagonist.

Left 4 Dead, on the other hand, does not have a narrative, no story of any kind. So when all you do is shoot things in the first, what does matter when all you do is shoot things in the second.

And then you contradict yourself. If you say that all shooters are nothing but firing the same gun, why are you setting aside MW2? What makes that so different you're allowing it to slide by on your "every series is the same" ranting?

Every game I buy I think, "holy shit good thing that spent 4 years on this!" because I am a good gamer. I do my research, I know what games I am going to get the most out of. In fact, if you don't buy a game thinking, "holy shit good thing that spent 4 years on this!" then you have clearly spent your money wrong. That was obvious at the beginning because you're defending L4D.[/QUOTE]

I'll make it simple for you.

MW2, GOW, Halo etc. are all designed with a story in mind so that it can have a cohesive and engaging single-player experience in addition to the multiplayer experience. In multiplayer (not co-op), you are outside of the story. When you're playing death match in some FPS online, the story doesn't matter to that particular experience.

L4D was designed to be a multiplayer game. It is 1000x times more enjoyable with others than going solo. Therefore, your criticisms of it not having a story component to it are utterly irrelevant. It has adequate voice overs and one-liners to give the characters personality and make them likeable. That's all that matters.

Moreover, you're posting in an xbox 360 forum. Are you really going to pull the elitist/puristy FPS card when you're not even on the right platform for said asshattery?

Not to really continue this but do you think these people understand that no one gives a shit that the game has no in depth story but them.

I find it halarious how they keep pointing this out like its some type of secret.

[quote name='jd_james_427']You answered you're own question. It's because they aren't good developers.[/QUOTE]

Yea, no. You're an idiot. They made Half Life 1/2.

bread's done
Back