LEGO Deals 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy crap! That wall of shame rules! I wish I had some of those Indiana Jones sets (I only have the Temple of Doom, Canal and Planes). Damn cool wall(s) my friend.

found the toy story train for 60, the garbage escape for 35, and three of the SP sets for 3 bux. not all good deals but I didn't think I did too bad.

^ What SP was $3? Were you at K-Mart?

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Picked up the Troll Fortress for $50 today at Target.[/QUOTE]

*drools*

Nice find.

I am jealous of those finding Troll Fortress. I think those all sold out on BF around here. I haven't seen one in store for months.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Picked up the Troll Fortress for $50 today at Target.[/QUOTE]

I bet that was the Troll Fortress that we had to return, you vulture! ;)

Originally Posted by mickeyp
Does anyone think I should get Quest against time, I passed on it but wondering if I made a mistake. My son is having fun with his Ninjago. He built the ninja ambush last night as well.

Aunt Beast said " if it was 15 bucks or less, i'd say it was a deal. the set is probably the least admired of the PoP line from the *adult* point of view, but my son loves it. it's full of traps with swords, saw, etc., so there's lots of playability -- *and* it has a cool light brick. he's played with it a lot. it would work well with ninja guys, too. "
Hmm thanks, I went to the Lego store and they had Quest against time for $14.99 I landed up getting it for $10.50 due to some discount. So that was good and I felt it would be worth it for that price.
They had Fight for dagger at $8.99, I passed hopefully not another mistake- cause I don't really feel like going back to the store. LOL
P.S. I got lost didn't get the message that the last thread ended and this one started, I was wondering what all my lego friends were up to.

[quote name='GoingIncognito']I bet that was the Troll Fortress that we had to return, you vulture! ;)[/QUOTE]

It was. I'm coming by later to build it outside your front door.

180husher, that is amazing... Are you going to keep all those sets or are you selling any of them?

I need to show your wall to my wife though. She won't feel too bad about my collection then :lol:

I was really surprised that I found the Troll Fortress. When I had been to this Target a couple of weeks ago, they had a ton of LEGO sets on clearance (about a 1/4th of the clearance aisle), but everything was still at 25% off, so I passed. I decided to go back today, not really expecting to find anything. The area where the LEGOs had been was empty, except for some Duplo stuff and a bunch of Power Miner stuff. The Troll Fortress was mixed in with some other toys, but right out in front. Like my Endor set, the box was beat to shit, but seeing as I'm not looking to flip or collect it, I don't care.

I was hoping to wait for the Troll Castle to go down as 3 targets around me had about 10 of them together. Ended up buying one a $70 just in case and a good thing because TWO DAYS LATER I went back to see if the rest had dropped to 50% and they were all gone.

I wished I had gotten in on some of the Castle and Kingdom sets also. And some of the Indiana Jones ones. I hope they do a re-release of those down the line.

Color analysis and applicable marketing ruined LEGO Space starting in 1990, IMHO. With the discontinuation of Blacktron I/Futuron/Space Police I/Classic Space and the start of M-Tron. LEGO has been able to redeem itself in recent years mostly with Castle and modular sets, but I feel we will never top the space pinnacle of Blacktron I/Futuron/Space Police I/Classic Space. If you took the Blacktron II sets and replaced all the trans-neon green with trans-yellow, kept the old logo, the white with black, and gave the figures their original suits, then we would have had awesome sets. Unfortunately, there is no way to do this since the 10 x 6 x 11 panel nor the 6 x 6 octagonal windscreen was never made in trans-yellow. Trans-yellow pieces in general are bloody expensive.

The designs were cooler with less available parts, the colors were simple but perfect. We do have the new NASA sets, but they are more of a City sub-theme than Space. Space Police III failed to impress me even though they are using the Futuron colors. The mix with the bad looking aliens and the skewed design fail to hit the mark. (I still bought the sets, but must change the outcome.)

so, finally got to a kmart .. the only one anywhere near me is 30 mi into nowheresville. i was sure everything would be long gone, but lo and behold, there was *one* clearance set left .. a quest before time (7572) for three bucks. made the whole trip worthwhile.

at a new target, finally found the S3 minifigs in the valentine section - grabbed 10 random bags and came up with a fisherman, two elves, and a samurai. they didn't have the kingdoms polybag yet. only clearance set left was a lonely ben 10 set, and galactic enforcer was 70 bucks.

all in all, a good lego day!

[quote name='voidedx']Color analysis and applicable marketing ruined LEGO Space starting in 1990, IMHO. With the discontinuation of Blacktron I/Futuron/Space Police I/Classic Space and the start of M-Tron. LEGO has been able to redeem itself in recent years mostly with Castle and modular sets, but I feel we will never top the space pinnacle of Blacktron I/Futuron/Space Police I/Classic Space. If you took the Blacktron II sets and replaced all the trans-neon green with trans-yellow, kept the old logo, the white with black, and gave the figures their original suits, then we would have had awesome sets. Unfortunately, there is no way to do this since the 10 x 6 x 11 panel nor the 6 x 6 octagonal windscreen was never made in trans-yellow. Trans-yellow pieces in general are bloody expensive.

The designs were cooler with less available parts, the colors were simple but perfect. We do have the new NASA sets, but they are more of a City sub-theme than Space. Space Police III failed to impress me even though they are using the Futuron colors. The mix with the bad looking aliens and the skewed design fail to hit the mark. (I still bought the sets, but must change the outcome.)[/QUOTE]

There shall be no M-tron bashing as long as I'm here.

[quote name='FadeToOne']There shall be no M-tron bashing as long as I'm here.[/QUOTE]

I concur! I liked M-Tron legos :p. It helps I'm partial to the prominently red color-scheme. Also, my rose-colored glasses of nostalgia are on tonight :)

anyone else get the 20% off any one item coupon in their email from Toys R Us??? not sure what I'll use it on...maybe NinjaGo set...anyone else have any suggestions?

[quote name='scp89']anyone else get the 20% off any one item coupon in their email from Toys R Us??? not sure what I'll use it on...maybe NinjaGo set...anyone else have any suggestions?[/QUOTE]

Cool! I'll have to check to see if I got that when I get home. I know I could use it. They have all the sets there that everyone else has had on clearance. Although, this 20% might just knock off the mark-up they put on their Lego sets. :cry:

I stopped by a walmart today and they still had a few sets at 50% off - echo base, hyena bomber, zurg, and a couple of small atlantis sets. I also saw a few sets in boxes marked "return to walmart for credit". The boxes were shrinkwrapped to the top but I was able to 'rescue' the Neptune carrier and a lunar limo. They rang up at 50% off too though so does anybody know what the deal with those are?

[quote name='encendido5']The boxes were shrinkwrapped to the top but I was able to 'rescue' the Neptune carrier and a lunar limo. They rang up at 50% off too though so does anybody know what the deal with those are?[/QUOTE]

It means that they didn't sell, survived on the shelf through clearance prices, and will now be going back to the warehouse/possibly LEGO for some amount back.

Also, hello, first post.

Last week in West Hollywood I was lucky enough to get the Galactic Enforcer for $25.48 at Target. Very pleased.

Shot in the dark, but has there been ANY word regarding this year's modular building besides the rather flimsy idea that it will be a post office because the Grand Emporium had a postal box?

EDIT: Wow, so apparently I've been signed up on CAG for 4 1/2 years now, so I'm a first-posting veteran. :)

Hall of Shame Late 2010/Early 2011

pic
DSC03481.jpg

pic
DSC03482.jpg

pic
DSC03483.jpg

isn't the Lego Indiana Jones minifig collection discontinued? I bought it at TRU for 10 and the Snowman creator for 40 cents to use my Rewards R Us.

I got one of those 20% off email coupons from TRU, but I don't think I'm going to use it. I don't think these have to be used with my rewards card so if anybody wants it let me know. And it's one use only so only one person can use it.

[quote name='180husher']I got one of those 20% off email coupons from TRU, but I don't think I'm going to use it. I don't think these have to be used with my rewards card so if anybody wants it let me know. And it's one use only so only one person can use it.[/QUOTE]

I know I'm new to this thread, but I wouldn't mind it.

[quote name='ireladd']I know I'm new to this thread, but I wouldn't mind it.[/QUOTE]

We like new people, TRU just marks their prices up 40% so the coupon is useless.

[quote name='bigdaddy']We like new people, TRU just marks their prices up 40% so the coupon is useless.[/QUOTE]

True, although the Ninjago stuff was still MSRP when I was there today.

According to Toys N' Bricks Lego stores may have Venators for $65 and Home One's for $36. Anyone willing to buy and do a bags only shipping :D.

Forgot to note specifically these deals were at Rockefeller Center Lego Store.

[quote name='TheHelix']isn't the Lego Indiana Jones minifig collection discontinued? I bought it at TRU for 10 and the Snowman creator for 40 cents to use my Rewards R Us.[/QUOTE]

What Indiana Jones minifig collection? Sounds like something I must have, especially for $10!

[quote name='salty tbone']True, although the Ninjago stuff was still MSRP when I was there today.[/QUOTE]

That's because it's new, after about a month out they normally increase it.

[quote name='TheHelix']Ambush in Cairo. I also saw the bigger sets last month at a TRU Express but I was broke.[/QUOTE]

Ah. Okay. I have that one. I saw the other three sets at the TRUs near me recently as well. Wish they'd find some Batman sets lying around! :)

[quote name='IOIHUMMERIOI']Ah. Okay. I have that one. I saw the other three sets at the TRUs near me recently as well. Wish they'd find some Batman sets lying around! :)[/QUOTE]

Wait a few years and IJ might be worth as much as Batman. Batman wasn't really hard to find and then all of a sudden they disappeared and the prices went through the roof.

I'm hoping for more LEGO Batman and IJ and Harry Potter games just to continue the sets and cheap the prices for the parts and minifigures down. Plus I really like Batman. :)

[quote name='bigdaddy']Wait a few years and IJ might be worth as much as Batman. Batman wasn't really hard to find and then all of a sudden they disappeared and the prices went through the roof.

I'm hoping for more LEGO Batman and IJ and Harry Potter games just to continue the sets and cheap the prices for the parts and minifigures down. Plus I really like Batman. :)[/QUOTE]
I actually really liked the Harry Potter game, probably my favorite of the LEGO games.
And the IJ sets are starting to go up already. Nothing like the Batman sets are now, but I could easily see these sets (that seemed to sit around for so long) ending up quite the collectible in a couple years. The terribleness of the most recent IJ movie I think really hurt sales of the classic movie sets, which should be in demand for years to come because the first three IJ movies are fucking amazing.

*Bow's down to husher, I'm that bad too though >_< I don't have an eclectic collection as yours though. I stick with a few themes to make sure I don't overbuy because I will buy and continue to buy the entire theme.

I wish Lucas would have put Indiana Jones on Blu-Ray first instead of Star Wars.

The other day at Wal-Mart I picked up a Lego watch for 7 bucks, but I didn't look at the packaging hard enough to realize the Count Dooku minifig was stolen. fuuuuu

I also got an Atlantis Wreck Raider for 5 bucks. The tanker truck was in the clearance aisle but came up regular price, along with the Mega Bloks and knockoff bricks.

I bought a Midi Scale Star Destroyer last month for 16. Think it will appreciate in value in the next couple years?

[quote name='TheHelix']The other day at Wal-Mart I picked up a Lego watch for 7 bucks, but I didn't look at the packaging hard enough to realize the Count Dooku minifig was stolen. fuuuuu

I also got an Atlantis Wreck Raider for 5 bucks. The tanker truck was in the clearance aisle but came up regular price, along with the Mega Bloks and knockoff bricks.

I bought a Midi Scale Star Destroyer last month for 16. Think it will appreciate in value in the next couple years?[/QUOTE]

Star Wars usually hold it's value, that sucks on the watch. I don't think Wal-Mart will give you a problem giving your money back. I noticed a bunch of them like that when I was buying them.

[quote name='ireladd']It means that they didn't sell, survived on the shelf through clearance prices, and will now be going back to the warehouse/possibly LEGO for some amount back.

Also, hello, first post.
[/QUOTE]

Welcome, and thanks for the info. So I guess that means they probably won't drop lower than 50% off either...

[quote name='encendido5']Welcome, and thanks for the info. So I guess that means they probably won't drop lower than 50% off either...[/QUOTE]

To see if it has a chance at 50%, you could always do what I did back when I worked at Toys R Us in high school. Most places like Target, WalMart and Toys R Us have a bottom panel on their shelving that is elevated from the floor by about 4-5 inches. It's a little too easy to lift that panel up, slide a product in there and then wait, as it cycles through the many markdowns. No one ever bothers to check them because they're not used by the stores for storage, it's just part of the shelf design. I may or may not have gotten a number of cheap toys that later turned into collectibles. :cool:

I know, it's a gray line of ethics, and this was a number of years ago, but it did provide some guaranteed great deals.

[quote name='ireladd']It means that they didn't sell, survived on the shelf through clearance prices, and will now be going back to the warehouse/possibly LEGO for some amount back.
[/QUOTE]
LEGO doesn't take back merchandise from retailers for credit. For Target at least, if a clearance items doesn't sell @ 75% all stores send the merchandise to a centralized warehouse. From there, it either gets resold to wholesale accounts or gets donated for a write-off.

[quote name='ireladd']To see if it has a chance at 50%, you could always do what I did back when I worked at Toys R Us in high school. Most places like Target, WalMart and Toys R Us have a bottom panel on their shelving that is elevated from the floor by about 4-5 inches. It's a little too easy to lift that panel up, slide a product in there and then wait, as it cycles through the many markdowns. No one ever bothers to check them because they're not used by the stores for storage, it's just part of the shelf design. I may or may not have gotten a number of cheap toys that later turned into collectibles. :cool:

I know, it's a gray line of ethics, and this was a number of years ago, but it did provide some guaranteed great deals.[/QUOTE]
Years ago when I worked at TRU we reorganized the layout of the shelves, and when we took them apart many were stuffed full of Star Wars action figures. Turned out to be a waste of time for that person though, Star Wars toys from the late 90s are totally worthless.

[quote name='ackbar7']I miss the old thread already. I figured it was probably just about the longest active thread going on CAG.[/QUOTE]

me too me too. Quite the active thread we've all made!

My son bought to school the ninja from series 1 minifigures. This kid says he can't play with them unless he brings a ninjago ninja. Stuck up child. My son has ninjago he just did not bring it in to school.

[quote name='ireladd']To see if it has a chance at 50%, you could always do what I did back when I worked at Toys R Us in high school. Most places like Target, WalMart and Toys R Us have a bottom panel on their shelving that is elevated from the floor by about 4-5 inches. It's a little too easy to lift that panel up, slide a product in there and then wait, as it cycles through the many markdowns. No one ever bothers to check them because they're not used by the stores for storage, it's just part of the shelf design. I may or may not have gotten a number of cheap toys that later turned into collectibles. :cool:

I know, it's a gray line of ethics, and this was a number of years ago, but it did provide some guaranteed great deals.[/QUOTE]
My cousins did that with action figures years back, but the funny thing about that is that some Targets actually have the bottom shelf screwed down. I also read in another thread that some people stash merchandise in the furniture section. I've found some marked down LEGOs and other marked down items in the drawers.

[quote name='mickeyp']My son bought to school the ninja from series 1 minifigures. This kid says he can't play with them unless he brings a ninjago ninja. Stuck up child. My son has ninjago he just did not bring it in to school.[/QUOTE]

They look the same!

Did you tell him to tell the children his ninja is rare?

If that doesn't work a good punch will help.

[quote name='JAYMATIK']I also read in another thread that some people stash merchandise in the furniture section. I've found some marked down LEGOs and other marked down items in the drawers.[/QUOTE]

Why did you have to mention this? You know I'm gonna have to go through all the furniture at Target now...

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back