Light gun discussion thread - Game Deals Inside!

Beat TC2 and unlocked everything, quite a fun game.

I decided to go ahead and grab TC3 with a gun as the Guncon is a nice gun and I'd rather not mess with import guns and shipping etc.

(Plus it's only about $10 to get a Guncon 2 with TC3 vs TC3 with one.)

its still alive!

basically all ive been doing latley is working for school or driving home and back. but its going.

i have the basic set up complete. ike a page on each game (ps1+2 for now) and stuff, i just need to get some reviews on them but first, i need to maake a grading scale for the reviews, since the games will be light gun only, it'd be unfair to judgethem on gameplay, because the core gameplay is almost always the same. the story is of very little importannce. i was thinking of rating on action, innovation, bonuses, graphics/sound things like that.

anyone have any feedback on how a light gun game review would work?

Here are some thoughts...

Gameplay: While is it the same core gameplay, theres still differences through TC style, Gun Survivor style, Point Blank Gallery style, etc. There could be a score somewhat based on how well the style is put to use.

Action : Score based on the flow of the game. How much does it keep you on your toes? Are you blazing through with enemies everywhere or do you take a couple shots then sit back and wait (Endgame)? Are you manhandling armies just your handgun or do you have tons of options (Dino Stalker)?

Innovation : *Oh boy another train level! I hope someone won't pop out from behind that seat!* How innovative are the level designs and did you just kill that same guy a second ago/ Maybe he has a twin. (enemy design).

Controls: This would mostly apply if you were rating a arcade game. You can rate the cabinet/controller here. Like HoD3's Shotgun, Namco's recoil guns, Sniper scope rifles, etc. Theres tons of different arcade peripherials. Anyone play the Egyptian game with the weird ass shaped gun? For console, it would be perhaps a rating or recommendation on what gun to use. Gun Surivors controls would definately need to be mentioned. Then also maybe rate its playability with a Dual Shock 2 controller, taking consideration it was meant to play with a gun.

Graphics/Sound : Basically rate the graphics with consideration of when the game's age. Just if its polished enough or if theres any breakdown. Sound should just be graded on whether or not its efficient to the game. Like does the music fit and do the gunshots sound liek they should. And how annoying is it when it keeps saying RELOAD! (House of Dead 2)

Lasting Appeal/Replay Value : While most games average about a half hour to play through, what bonuses, modes, other paths, etc make it worthwhile to play through again. The game would game extra points for 2 player compatibility. TC would get points here being that playing as the first or second player, its slightly different.

for the last time I must know these questions based on this lightgun that I plan on buying, sit back and read carefully, first the link for the guncon I want too buy, check it out: http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-5n-70-18o.html
1. Will this light gun work on my ps2
2. Will this light gun work with ps1 games I use on my ps2
3. Can a light gun or any form of ps2 gun work if I am using an RF switch
*NUMBER THREE IS VERY IMPORTANT*
4. Do I have too connect this particular guncon too my tv in anyway since my tv is seperated from my ps2 by at least one shelf, could make gameplay uncomfortable
5. Is this a NA compatible lightgun, since I have a NA ps2
thanks in advance.

[quote name='Nirvanaguy777']for the last time I must know these questions based on this lightgun that I plan on buying, sit back and read carefully, first the link for the guncon I want too buy, check it out: http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-5n-70-18o.html
1. Will this light gun work on my ps2
2. Will this light gun work with ps1 games I use on my ps2
3. Can a light gun or any form of ps2 gun work if I am using an RF switch
*NUMBER THREE IS VERY IMPORTANT*
4. Do I have too connect this particular guncon too my tv in anyway since my tv is seperated from my ps2 by at least one shelf, could make gameplay uncomfortable
5. Is this a NA compatible lightgun, since I have a NA ps2
thanks in advance.[/quote]

1. Yes it will work with no problem.
2. Yes, you use the controller plug for PS1 (GunCon1/Light gun) games and the USB(GunCon2) is for PS2
3. You can use it providing that you get an AV adapter. It costs around $15 I think. I have one that I used to use with my GunCon1. I'll post of pic of it in a sec.
4. All guns connect through the yellow AV cable. GunCon2s come with a extention for setups that need them, import guns don't but I'm pretty sure they're cheap at Radioshack. I can post a pic of that if you want too.
5. Controllers are region free so it won't be a problem.

ae553142.jpg

You would connect this between your PS2 and RF switch. Then the lightgun's yellow cable plugs into the AV adapter. Presto!

ok so if i were too get a guncon 1 i would need the adapter above, but if i got a guncon 2 i wouldnt need the adapter, then again i wouldnt be able too use ps1 games with the guncon 2

For two guns do you just plug one gun into one end of the splitter and the other into the other?

For some reason my second gun can first but the reload/duck buttons are screwed up (none of them work in the game but the work to stop calibrating). I really have no clue what I'm doing wrong. The guns buttons feel a bit mushy compared to the first but it still seems like they aught to work. Maybe I'll just return it...

[quote name='Nirvanaguy777']ok so if i were too get a guncon 1 i would need the adapter above, but if i got a guncon 2 i wouldnt need the adapter, then again i wouldnt be able too use ps1 games with the guncon 2[/quote]
No you only need the adapter if you are connecting your ps2 via rf switch, ff you're using the standard av cables you are fine without it. All guns need to connect to both the TV and PS2 in some way. TV via video cable, PS2 via USB or Controller port.

Gamefreak, for 2 guns just follow the directions included in either the game manual or the TC2/3 big box. Make sure everythings in securely. If it doesn't work after that, it might be broken.

Also note in the guidelines for the gun, it says not to use other infrared objects while using the gun. Perhaps you were using the TV remote or something? I was playing Dino Stalker once and while I was playing I tweaked the volume and then the calibration was all off.

[quote name='CouRageouS']
ae553142.jpg

You would connect this between your PS2 and RF switch. Then the lightgun's yellow cable plugs into the AV adapter. Presto![/quote]
can I have a link as too where i can purchase this item, from playasia if possible

[quote name='CouRageouS']
ae553142.jpg

You would connect this between your PS2 and RF switch. Then the lightgun's yellow cable plugs into the AV adapter. Presto![/quote]

could you post a picture of your lightgun hooked up with the adapter it would be EXTREMELY HELPFUL, thanks in advance

I don't use that adapter anymore, its real old so I don't know where you'd find one. Just search for AV adapter or something. I just have it from my GunCon1 days when my PS1 was connected to an old TV via RF switch. Hooking your gun up really isn't so much trouble, you'll have instructions included with whatever gun you get anyway.

On another note, I was at CC today..
ed47d9b5.jpg

$9.99 Madcatz blaster. Didn't see it on the CC site. That guns had mixed reviews but for $20 for a pair, thats pretty good. I might use my free $10 from WWE:DOR to get one tomorrow just for the hell of it.

[quote name='CouRageouS']I don't use that adapter anymore, its real old so I don't know where you'd find one. Just search for AV adapter or something. I just have it from my GunCon1 days when my PS1 was connected to an old TV via RF switch. Hooking your gun up really isn't so much trouble, you'll have instructions included with whatever gun you get anyway.

ed47d9b5.jpg

$9.99 Madcatz blaster. Didn't see it on the CC site. That guns had mixed reviews but for $20 for a pair, thats pretty good. I might use my free $10 from WWE:DOR to get one tomorrow just for the hell of it.[/quote]

would you perhaps trade that adapter?

I had the link the other day

here it is
http://www.digitaletc.com/go/item/9393
if you would trade yours, i'd trade a game, or maybe a couple of disc only games for it.

[quote name='Nirvanaguy777']http://www.madcatz.com/MadCatz/product_details.jsp?product_id=8255 is this the av cable, I MUST KNOW[/quote]

That's a component video cable.

[quote name='Nirvanaguy777']http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-3z-77-4-15-wireless-70-2i9.html check this gun out, wireless, bet it doesnt matter what type of tv connection i got with that gun, RF doesnt matter then wooh, too bad ps1 games wont work with it, am I right?[/quote]

Whoa - wireless. I may have to invest in this bad boy. Anyone seen any reviews for this one?

[quote name='Mustang O-Line 75'][quote name='CouRageouS']I don't use that adapter anymore, its real old so I don't know where you'd find one. Just search for AV adapter or something. I just have it from my GunCon1 days when my PS1 was connected to an old TV via RF switch. Hooking your gun up really isn't so much trouble, you'll have instructions included with whatever gun you get anyway.

ed47d9b5.jpg

$9.99 Madcatz blaster. Didn't see it on the CC site. That guns had mixed reviews but for $20 for a pair, thats pretty good. I might use my free $10 from WWE:DOR to get one tomorrow just for the hell of it.[/quote]

would you perhaps trade that adapter?

I had the link the other day

here it is
http://www.digitaletc.com/go/item/9393
if you would trade yours, i'd trade a game, or maybe a couple of disc only games for it.[/quote]

I guess I could trade it. I really don't need it since I got a new TV a couple years back. I'm surprised so many people use the RF switch still. Just PM me any offers.

[quote name='CouRageouS']Looky Looky..
244624.jpg

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/244624.asp

Called the Freeshot. Its wireless, ugly and unheard of but I thought I'd just pass it on. $40 suposively coming out next week. I don't know if thats realiable though. Even though it doesn't look like a real gun, isn't there a law now that prohibits toy guns from being black?[/quote]

i saw this in a b&m store and it looked ridiculous.

the grip and the barrel are not at their normal angles, it looks as if the gun would always be shooting up unless you held the gun at an odd angle.

if i were going wireless i would prolly try this out:
http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-3z-70-2i9.html
PA.03249.001.jpg

do you think the madcatz blaster is really compatible with ps1 games, i dont want too get one and a bunch of ps1 games all for it not too end up working, oh and i found the adapter i think, cheap at amazon

I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but don't see it listed in the imports on the OP...so just in case punq didn't see this...

"import gungame that nobody has mentioned - Rescue Shot Bubido. This is a ps1 Guncon game that Namco put out. Pretty strange actually - a rabbit that looks kinda like Doraemon hops through stages while you protect him by shooting falling objects and capping odd looking foes while shooting magic mushroom powerups etc. I guess it's sort of story driven, but I know absolutely 0 Japanese. However, it's not required to get the gist of what you need to do - like all gun games - SHOOT EVERYTHING!"

[quote name='Nirvanaguy777']do you think the madcatz blaster is really compatible with ps1 games, i dont want too get one and a bunch of ps1 games all for it not too end up working, oh and i found the adapter i think, cheap at amazon[/quote]

The answer to your questions in this thread already..if you would just simply read through it, you would already know this (and a lot more)..
If a lightgun has..
-Controller Plug on a gun = PS1 compatible
-USB Plug = PS2 Compatible
-Both Plugs = PS1/2 Compatible (Most Third party guns made for the PS2 have both, if it doesn't then it was made for the PS1)
So yea, the Madcatz Blaster will work with PS1 games because it has both plugs.

Nice! I suggest everyone jumps on it! Even though I didn't get mine yet, I believe this very well could be the best arcade alternative. Need..pedals..soon..

I e-mailed him seeing if he could hook us up with some deals (maybe 2 for 30 or something) so we'll see what happens with that

There appears to be no reserves on his auctions either, which means that as long as he doesnt charge like $15 or $20 shipping it'd be a nice deal.

[quote name='punqsux'][quote name='CouRageouS']Looks like the Desert Eagles may become the official CAG lightgun.[/quote]

they ARE green[/quote]
Indeed they are.

I have tried numerous of PS2 and Xbox Light Guns, but none work on my 32" 100hz Widescreen TV :(. Pretty sad because I loved lightgun games.

[quote name='visuatrox']I have tried numerous of PS2 and Xbox Light Guns, but none work on my 32" 100hz Widescreen TV :(. Pretty sad because I loved lightgun games.[/quote]

A few lightguns work with 100hz TVs. Off hand I know the Scorpion 3 and the slightly goofy lookin' Sharp Arcade Shooter 2 guns do, and I'm pretty sure there are a couple more out there.

Yea the adapter is basically for if you're using an RF or S Video connection. The price is usually around $15 but I'd say try to find a used one if you can.

BTW, I got my pair Desert Eagles today! WOO HOO! Punq rules! Punq rules! Now I want pedals! Still need Vampire Night and TC2 to complete my PS2 set. Oh yea Starsky and Hutch too, but thats only a semi-lightgun game.

[quote name='CouRageouS']Yea the adapter is basically for if you're using an RF or S Video connection. The price is usually around $15 but I'd say try to find a used one if you can.

BTW, I got my pair Desert Eagles today! WOO HOO! Punq rules! Punq rules! Now I want pedals! Still need Vampire Night and TC2 to complete my PS2 set. Oh yea Starsky and Hutch too, but thats only a semi-lightgun game.[/quote]

Thanks, you wouldn't happen to know where I could find a cheap used one by any chance?

bread's done
Back