MAG Discussion Thread

[quote name='metaly']Sounds like Planetside meets Battlefield. I wonder how they'll handle rounds if it's going to be a persistent war.[/quote]

I don't think it is persistent. where you see that? There are rounds like any other FPS, just it is broken up more. At least that is what I thought. Might have some kind of stat tracking. Like Army A won Map 3 70% of the time so they get a boost, idk.

[quote name='NamPaehc']I don't think it is persistent. where you see that? There are rounds like any other FPS, just it is broken up more. At least that is what I thought. Might have some kind of stat tracking. Like Army A won Map 3 70% of the time so they get a boost, idk.[/quote]

This quote from the IGN article made me think persistence:

Now, what's interesting about this battle is that it is ongoing. Even when you're not playing, other people are and your faction could be losing or gaining ground in this never-ending conflict.

But I guess it could just mean each round could have an effect on your faction's performance, like you said. I guess I was hoping it would be a persistent thing since I was always really interested in Planetside but never got to try it.

[quote name='metaly']This quote from the IGN article made me think persistence:

But I guess it could just mean each round could have an effect on your faction's performance, like you said. I guess I was hoping it would be a persistent thing since I was always really interested in Planetside but never got to try it.[/quote]

Well from the interviews I posted above (going to relink them when I update the OP), the dev mentions a "shadow war" a few times.

The amount of gameplay variety in MAG, the depth of our skills and gear, the Shadow War (the ongoing tournaments between factions), and strong community tools all create an extremely rich MP environment, one we believe is truly unique on the consoles.

Just throwing out ideas from the experience I had with Planetside. Basically it the more (or in some cases the less) land your side owned the more perks you might get. If it isn't persistent, then they'd have to track a different set of stats. Might be, which ever faction as the top ranked players gets a bonus. Or the faction that has lost the most rounds gets some new weapon. Something like that.

[quote name='smiggity']It is persistent. Winning rounds increases your contracts with the govt or some dumb gimmick[/quote]

I might be misunderstanding the word "persistent". I thought that mean like always around, like a MMO. How can their be rounds if the battlefield is always active?

>>>Keep seeing that word a lot. This preview says no fees beyond the game disc (and most likely DLC). Also mentions "persistent" a bunch too lol.

Any vehicles or will it be strictly an infantry battle? It would be weird to have a large scale battle without some sort of heavy weapons,tanks, or something of the sort.

[quote name='depascal22']Any vehicles or will it be strictly an infantry battle? It would be weird to have a large scale battle without some sort of heavy weapons,tanks, or something of the sort.[/quote]

There are APC's for sure. And I think I saw a tank in the trailer, I would guess they could be controlled by players.

What i dont understand is that if your friends are not in the same faction as you, you cant play together. Need to wprk on that

That trailer reminded me a LOT of the Battlefield 2 trailers they showed before the game was released ... and that's not a bad thing (I LOVED BF2). If done right, this game could kick some ass and take over BF:BC as my MP game of choice.

The preview is pretty decent.

The "3D map" sounds cool.

Even OICs are warriors on the ground, however. There's a neat 3D tactical map that every player can view, but only commanders can interact with, setting objectives and deploying assets. But there's no separate, high-level RTS-style view of the action. "We didn't want them basically to get stuck in there like they're playing a map," says Byrne. "So OICs and platoon leaders and squad leaders are all able to, and encouraged to, basically be in the field fighting, and then juggle their duties behind the gun and behind the interface in terms of their play-style."
I like being the commander in Battlefield 2/Battlefield 2142. Sometimes I like to make the character shout "With me team!" and lead my units to the points I need to to go because it is hard to do with just clicking orders. Big star moving along the map is easier to follow I guess. HATE it with servers that have rules that commanders can't fight, makes no sense. So I am happy about their attempt here and hope it works well.

a sniper-scout with a self-heal
:drool:

Interesting about the "not playing a map" thing. Commanding did feel like a completely separate game in Battlefield, although I don't know if I agree that this is a problem that needs fixing. If the commander has time to fight, he's not doing his job. :cool:

NamPaehc, do you still play BF2/2142 at all? We should get a squad together.

[quote name='metaly']Interesting about the "not playing a map" thing. Commanding did feel like a completely separate game in Battlefield, although I don't know if I agree that this is a problem that needs fixing. If the commander has time to fight, he's not doing his job. :cool:

NamPaehc, do you still play BF2/2142 at all? We should get a squad together.[/quote]

Well in Battlefield or Natural Selection (HL mod) it can feel like you are playing Warcraft/Starcraft when just staring down at the map from space. So I canunderstand the comment they made.

And yeah I just got back into 2142. Only I usually play commander because my PC isn't that great so the flat map runs smoother lol. " Nightwing- " is handle there.

Important info from chat

Phoniex - there aren't the traditional game modes you might expect from smaller FPS titles. Basically each map has an associated game mode. We have a more tradiitonal team v. team mode for 64 players. We have a "capture the objective points" game mode for another set of 64 maps. the 128 maps have Attackers trying to steal a vehicle from the Defending side. 256 is an all-out battle for control points.

One game mode per map should be nice

silentscope101 - if your friends are already on your PSN friends list and they are the same army as you (so, you'll only be able to join friends playing for Raven, if you're a member of Raven), then you'll be able to quickly join them in their game.

Not so good. This is a problem with the 3 factions

The biggest maps are about 1 square kilometre .. so big! The maps are based on three global regions - Alaska, Central Asia and Central america. How balanced are they - I'm gonna say perfectly balanced ;)

million_monkeys; its a "points based" system -- so you'll know what your health is exactly. Lots of different ways to "regain" health (medit, firstaid, medics, supply points, bunkers, etc.)

Wow... respawn in a 256 is a complex thing to describe. Let me summarise... you spawn in "timed waves" and you spawn in with your squad. Some lucky squads get to paradrop into the combat zone or ride in on APCs.
Mike Gutmann - Vice President @ Zipper: Yes, I'm CONFIDENT MAG will be relesed this year!

Sucks that the helicopters are only used as props as a forward respawn area. I wonder how hectic it'll get when they charge inside the complex.

anyone else get the dev video #4 off the psn? the hud and all the icons on the looks horrid! Hope you can tone some of that down because there was to much on the screen for me.

Beta "waves" are underway it seems:

magbetainvis.jpg

A lucky few individuals will discover this invite for the MAG beta in their inboxes. The e-mail includes a unique code used to access a closed application form. According to the beta enrollment page, Sony "will be adding people in waves." If you don't see an invite in your inbox right now, don't worry: you may be invited later. "If you do not receive an invite for the first wave you may still be invited in a following MAG Public Beta wave."

Sony has already conducted a closed beta for MAG for over a month. The expansion of the beta to the public gives us hope that maybe -- just maybe -- we'll be able to see MAG's 256-player online battles hitting the PS3 sooner rather than later.

Last question says something like why should we invite you. lol Its a dam beta to a maybe 'okay' game. Its not like its the... you get the idea.

I applied for the Beta. I'm a sucker for betas, what can I say. Plus, if I ever play SOCOM with smiggity again I have to go on and on about how much more amazing MAG is until he kick me out of the clan. ;)

Where can you apply for the Beta? I didn't see it in the OP's post.

I am DIEING to test this (huge Socom fan)... If anyone has an extra code they don't want, pretty pretty pleaseee with a cherry on top! :baby:

[quote name='silks']I applied for the Beta. I'm a sucker for betas, what can I say. Plus, if I ever play SOCOM with smiggity again I have to go on and on about how much more amazing MAG is until he kick me out of the clan. ;)[/QUOTE]

:lol:

Someone needs to get Namphaec a beta invite.

Opps, I guess "leak" means something different in the media/games. I guess I'll have to change the wording to reflect what is going on a bit more clearly.

[quote name='iHack']Where can you apply for the Beta? I didn't see it in the OP's post.

I am DIEING to test this (huge Socom fan)... If anyone has an extra code they don't want, pretty pretty pleaseee with a cherry on top! :baby:[/QUOTE]
It should be in your email.It will have a link and you put the code that was given to you from the email and then do a quick survey and respond to a question of "Why should you be selected for the beta?"

Just got my invite. Download from the PS Store was only about 350mb and went quick but once you are in the game there is a 2 gig download. Super slow right now. I usually get about 1.5-2mb/sec on PS3 downloads but looks like this is only going at about .5mb/sec

bread's done
Back