Mario Kart 8 (Nintendo Network ID's)

I got the controllers today. I've set them up and messed around with them a little. The face buttons seem fine to me but the bumpers definitely seem like you have to depress them much more than you'd expect. Aside from that, I think the controllers are fine. I've never had so many controllers for a single system. I thought it was cool that the Motion + controllers worked with it but now it seems a bit silly. 4 WiiMotes, 4 Nunchucks, 1 Wii Classic Controller, 1 Wii Classic Controller Pro, 1 Gamepad, 2 Wii U pro controllers. On top of that I've got the balance board and a couple of plastic racing wheels that I'm keeping in case the kids want to use them. I'm thinking about getting rid of my regular Wii Classic Controller since I have the pro in case I decide to give some Wii games another chance.
Might've been just me then. The controller felt really awkward in my hand. I have a bunch of controllers for my Wii U too lol. Also iirc, the Wii U Pro controller doesn't work on old Wii games, so you might want to keep the Classic Controller.

Might've been just me then. The controller felt really awkward in my hand. I have a bunch of controllers for my Wii U too lol. Also iirc, the Wii U Pro controller doesn't work on old Wii games, so you might want to keep the Classic Controller.
Right, I have the Classic Controller AND the Classic Controller Pro. That's why I'm thinking about getting rid of the Classic Controller.

Right, I have the Classic Controller AND the Classic Controller Pro. That's why I'm thinking about getting rid of the Classic Controller.
Oh. My bad. I misunderstood what you meant. Didn't even know they had a regular Classic Controller since I have the Pro one.

Last edited by a moderator:
My Mario kart shipped and will be here by Friday it says

Woohoo!

Also, Mario has a Mercedes? Wtf?!

@Blasterman

BB is inconsistent. I got Kirby Triple Deluxe and Mario Golf a day before release from expedited shipping from Best buy. This time with expedited shipping on MK8, it hadn't shipped as of this morning. I called BB and switched to in store pick up so I should be good on getting it for tomorrow.

I added my name to the google doc, if you add me please pm me here, I'm horrible at checking.

I kicked ass on Mario Kart 7, I didn't get to try this out at Gamestop because the pad wasn't working but be warned. I just hope the mechanics aren't funky, they seem to change from game to game.

Playing my copy now.  Just getting used to the tracks on some of the 50cc races.  Did one online battle and it was pretty smooth.  Only took a few seconds to find a group and get into a game. 

Really wishing I could've gotten one of the Limited Editions for my collection, but it looks like getting one on ebay is going to be out of the question (going for $300 right now)

Picked up my copy! Now I gotta finish working.... My Nintendo ID is MPaullin. Hit me up!

Edit: Discovered Google doc in the OP. I put my ID there. 

Just added my name to the google doc.  Ninty ID is aFriendbFrosty

Did the download last night.  See ya on the track :bouncy:

I just picked up my pre-order. My NNID is: justinluey

The CAG Animal Crossing community has been awesome, so I'm hoping Mario Kart will be the same. 

[quote name="GamerChris" post="11802252" timestamp="1401484552"]So what controller is everyone using? Is it worth it to get the Pro Controller for Mario Kart?[/quote]I don't have a pro controller but it controls great on the gamepad.

I got mine finally, but my gamepad is dead….and I can't find any double A's for my wiimotes  :cry:

I'm waiting for the gamepad to charge 

The pro controller works great, but I'm not really liking the gamepad with this game. Just me though.
Gamepad has been fine when using the d-pad, but really should try the pro controller.

How do you make the switch; I mean is it a simple menu prompt to change or do I need to bust out my "magic wand" and put the gamepad to sleep?

@Blasterman

BB is inconsistent. I got Kirby Triple Deluxe and Mario Golf a day before release from expedited shipping from Best buy. This time with expedited shipping on MK8, it hadn't shipped as of this morning. I called BB and switched to in store pick up so I should be good on getting it for tomorrow.
I cancelled the order last night and reordered and pickd it up today.

In regards to the "Pro Commander" controller, I've used it for 3 sets of races and I like it a lot. Anyone on the fence with it should buy one. I'm going to get a full set of 4 because my kids don't seem to be able to use the wiiMotes to drive those cars.

Gamepad has been fine when using the d-pad, but really should try the pro controller.

How do you make the switch; I mean is it a simple menu prompt to change or do I need to bust out my "magic wand" and put the gamepad to sleep?
At the start screen I just turn on the pro controller and it takes over. Then I just turn the gamepad screen off. If anyone knows how to put the gamepad to sleep so it doesn't waste battery just sitting there idle, please do tell.

Controllers seem pretty much all up to preference. I'm perfectly fine with the gamepad. Have a Pro controller but haven't tried it yet. Girlfriend likes the Wii mote with the wheel while I hate it.

Really liking the game so far though. Especially the online 2 players. Have been playing with a bunch of people from Japan and Mexico without any lag. Only time I had a slight delay was the beginning of one race and it was just like a few seconds pause.

I'm about to play it for the first time right now lol. I'm excited! Did the game live up to the hype?
I am really liking the hover sections. Makes the courses really interesting when you are driving on something you thought was just a wall next to the normal track. I hate how you can't "bank" an item anymore though. i.e. drag a shell behind you and get another item from a box while the shell is behind you.

Quick question, do we have a CAG room for racing or...?

Edit: not that I'm ready yet, need to practice :D

I'm about to play it for the first time right now lol. I'm excited! Did the game live up to the hype?
Definitely. I followed the development/reviews closely, and I was still surprised how great the game looks and how smooth it plays.

I was also pleasantly surprised how good the online play is. I played online last night for 3 hours and didn't have a single instance of lag. I hope it holds up as more people start playing.

Thanks for the friend invites to everyone that sent one my way. I accepted everyone that sent one, but I havent played online yet. Ill be looking for some matches this weekend. is it easy to play with friends on wii u?

Thanks for the friend invites to everyone that sent one my way. I accepted everyone that sent one, but I havent played online yet. Ill be looking for some matches this weekend. is it easy to play with friends on wii u?
I haven't personally tried yet, but I've heard nothing but positive things :D

I've played a couple matches online, and two grand prix races on the 100c. I'm loving it! Definitely lived up to everything I wanted in this game lol. I'm really looking forward to playing with people from here. We should all get together and pick a set time/date for when we all get online and play.

I love the game, but using the gamepad sucks. With the way I have to keep a finger on the right trigger, my right hand cramps up really badly after a few races. Thankfully, I have the Wii Classic Controller, although it's a huge hassle to get the system to recognize the switch from gamepad to controller for single player.

I actually don't have much complaints about the gamepad. I'm not a fan of the wheel (which I absolutely suck with lol). Playing with friends is so easy. It shows you who has an open lobby, and you can easily join that game. I wish you could talk to your friends as your racing, but it's better than nothing!

I accepted all the the requests I had this morning.  Cant wait to play with you all!

The bad news...my copy wont be here till Wednesday!  I preordered from BB and usually I get games on release day but this one is just sitting in CT! :whistle2:(  Ugh...

I'm about to send our requests to those who haven't requested me yet.

Nintendo Network ID: MattYoung

I will be playing single player, but if a group decides to play online, please do invite me.

Man, I tense up a lot when racing. My hand is formed to the pro controller when I am done and I can't move it for awhile. Play through the pain though because this is a good game.

Thanks to those of you who accepted my FR's.

I'll try sending out the rest tonight to everyone else.  Woulda done it last night but I really wanted to get back into the racing :D.

Bit off topic:  I'm really glad I went digital with MK8.  Normally don't do it for retail games but it made perfect sense for this.  I love having instant access to the game.

This gives me hope that Ninty will figure out how to make a good StarFox again (ala SF64) and I'm sure I'd go digital for that too.

Thanks to those of you who accepted my FR's.

I'll try sending out the rest tonight to everyone else. Woulda done it last night but I really wanted to get back into the racing :D.

Bit off topic: I'm really glad I went digital with MK8. Normally don't do it for retail games but it made perfect sense for this. I love having instant access to the game.

This gives me hope that Ninty will figure out how to make a good StarFox again (ala SF64) and I'm sure I'd go digital for that too.
I pray to the video game gods every E3 for this to happen and every year I'm dissapointed.

Added to the list and just got through sending requests to everyone in the doc.

I've raced with both the gamepad and remote, both seem fine. With the gamepad I have a tendency to try to drift using the both of the shoulder buttons depending on whether it's a left or right turn. :wall:  Wiimote breaks that habit, but boy I wish I could customize the gamepad controls.. Thinking about buying a pro.

I try to do the same thing with the buttons when using the gamepad.

I accepted everyone who requested me earlier today.

Btw, Toadette and Daisy have it out for me. They must die. D:

bread's done
Back