Mario Kart 8 (Nintendo Network ID's)

How da eff do u always finish first Matt?
Beginner's luck? Once more people joined, I started finishing lower.

I had a headset plugged in but I don't think it worked. No one responded to what I said, anyway. I heard someone talking about the new June PS+ games as well as a woman who seemed to have kids in the background, but it was hard to tell what was going on when there's so little time to chat between races.

Weird. One of the reviews I read or watched said that didn't work. I did press the - button once with the headset plugged in but the gamepad was on the floor. I'll have to try it next time.

Beginner's luck? Once more people joined, I started finishing lower.

I had a headset plugged in but I don't think it worked. No one responded to what I said, anyway. I heard someone talking about the new June PS+ games as well as a woman who seemed to have kids in the background, but it was hard to tell what was going on when there's so little time to chat between races.
Not me, all I have is a hubby and a baby. My house all you would of heard was me cursing like a sailor and my husband laughing at me.

All I heard was some guy talking about ps4? But I came in like around 8pm anyways so I was late

Edit: found this online

Some more details:

- when chatting with friends online, using a headset with a mic wont make a difference, the game will still default to the Gamepad mic. You can still hear everything through your headsets tho which is awesome, but your voice will go through the Gamepad mic. I confirmed this by muting my headset using the mute switch, and the other person could still hear me, which means the game uses the Gamepad mic no matter what you plug in, you can mute yourself however through the game by pressing the minus button, so in effect, it works exactly the same

This is good and bad. Good in that you don't need to by a headset with a mic, simply plugging in any pair of headsets will do since the Gamepad has a built in mic. And bad, in the sense that if you have a headset with a mic, its pretty much rendered useless.

Good thing my gaming headsets have a detachable boom mic, so I just remove it when playing MK8.

Lastly, the sound quality of the voice chat is actually pretty good. I was worried that it would be bad, but after racing with some friends online, their voices were clear and we didn't experience any issues or echoing. I think Nintendo did not want voice chat during the actual races as it may have conflicted with all of the crazy sound effects and of course the musical tracks.

So much for the Gamepad mic never being used for online chat...lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure...? I'm not sure how all that works yet. Haven't played any online matches, and was working job #2 last night when you guys were playing. I'll post back if I figure anything out, or someone else can post if they know more than I (which would be everyone, at this point).

EDIT: Started a private room. Add me if you want to come race!

EDIT 2: Joined the Black Mage in some regional races... come find us (while I'm not taking laundry folding breaks)

I need some practice lol. I've been playing online and getting my butt handed to me. I always seem to get 4th, 5th, or 6th ;/
Yeah, they can be vicious online. But keep at it and you'll really improve.

Though still not sure if some players have already found hacks/cheats or I'm just experiencing lag.

Last night played in a group where one dude was glitching all over the track (think Vanellope in Wreck-It Ralph).

Didn't take long for the group to empty out... stuck it out for a few more rounds after that, basically 1 vs 1.

Everytime I got close, he'd start to glitch away. Only way I beat him were with some lucky item drops.

1st time got three red shells; first two hit but he kept going until the third hit. He wasn't able to recover from that.

The 2nd time was luck getting the 3 mushrooms at the end of Twisted Mansion, so used them on the shortcut to just edge him out.

I'm also getting embarrassed online :wall: and I've played every iteration of Mario Kart since the 64.

I need to work on my lines/shortcuts a little more. Sometimes I try too hard to boost out of every turn and end up going into the grass and ruining it. Other times, even when things are going well, my kart can't keep up.

I'm clueless on kart configurations too. Preferring the karts over the bikes, I try to focus on traction, speed, then handling. But is there something that I'm missing? It seems like the heavier characters have the most speed?

Added my name to the googledoc - in the process of adding everyone - not gonna send mass PMs out though.

As far as cart config/char select, traction and handling really ought to be the last things you focus on, but thats just me.

The important things are speed and acceleration.  The heavy characters have the top speed, but very poor acceleration.  This means whenever you get hit, you're going to be slow for a while.  The lighter characters have great acceleration, poor top speed.  So you get up to top speed quickly.  What you pick really depends on your style and what strengths/weaknesses you can deal with.

The big characters/cars also have very poor handling, which is going to make it harder to get boosts out of more turns.  A lot of the top time trail players use heavy characters with motorcycles, so they can turn sharply and handle better.  I personally despise bikes and refuse to use them.  I use a light or mid character with a heavy vehicle, at least at the moment.  You may have noticed that Rosaline/bike is very popular.

Another importing thing is coins.  Coins increase your speed on a scale of 0 to 10.  Even at 10, you get a minuscule boost every time you pick up a coin - if you watch closely, you'll see a small amount of fire out your back when you pick up a coin.  This might be cosmetic though, I'm not 100% on this.  You will be preventing the ppl directly behind you from getting them though.

Item use is another thing - you'll want to drag single shells/peels behind you as a defensive measure even though its kind of a pain.  Random stuff or players will hit you otherwise.   Its tempting to use mushrooms right after you get hit, but you will often end up barrelling into a wall or off course - unless you're on an obvious straight - get moving first before you mushroom.   Dont fire at players that are currently spinning out from being hit by someone else (1) They are immune from being hit again during a big chunk of it (2) You are about to pass them anyway - the people you should be worried about are the ones in front of you who you have yet to pass.

Situational awareness - when you can (like on straightaways), you may want to spot check your rear camera, maybe theres a green shell headed your way.  Maybe there is someone on your 6 that would eat a peel if you dropped one.  Remember that if your cart/char config weighs more, you can push people around, maybe you knock them off the road slightly or into an obstacle.   Draft boost behind someone who doesnt have an item.  Maybe you shouldnt actually try to pass a dude with 3 of something rotating around him just yet.  Shooting things at him may or may not be a waste of items.

Depending on the situation, you may not want to take a marginally faster path - maybe the slightly slower path has more coins - maybe there are a bunch of dudes creating a shitstorm on the other branch.  I often avoid the jump boost over the water on that dock level on the first lap because its easy for a heavy character to tap you and knock you off.

Its not only important to know the shortcuts and where you can power slide, but know every single surface that you can jump boost off of - not every one is obvious (like the one at the very beginning of Bowser's Castle)

Good karting is a lot of small things.  Plus luck - game is super random sometimes.

I added my name to the doc. I'll add a bunch of you tomorrow, but feel free to add me if you want.

NNID: pitfallharry219

Dr Mario Kart has clearly earned their PhD. That's a solid post full of good info.

Big agree with the closing line. The game is random as hell. Overall, I've had a rather successful first week with this game, but sometimes bad luck rolls around and just shuts down everything. I can't count the amount of times I've been hit in first and stunlocked to 12th place. I think the biggest trick to this game is not letting it get to you

Dr Mario Kart has clearly earned their PhD. That's a solid post full of good info.

Big agree with the closing line. The game is random as hell. Overall, I've had a rather successful first week with this game, but sometimes bad luck rolls around and just shuts down everything. I can't count the amount of times I've been hit in first and stunlocked to 12th place. I think the biggest trick to this game is not letting it get to you
^This. I've had my share of races where it seemed like everyone target me ONLY :???:

Part of it is my fault since I always try to get out in front at the start, so I'll usually end up with Coins or a banana as my first item. Pure luck if I can survive 'til the next item box.

But I have found that it's more fun to race in half-full rooms than the maxed out rooms. Just has a better balance between racing skills and item drops.

The full rooms usually have one big pack constantly screwing each other over, with 1-2 racers who escape the chaos and win by a huge margin.

Wow! Thank you for the hints, Dr Mario Kart. Using the hilarious pony kart and my Mii character (good speed and pretty even stats for the rest) I managed to get gold trophies for all of the 150cc cups. For a while there I really felt dialed in, red shells were threatening to hit me but then just going away on their own :lol:

Does hitting those bumpers while in hover mode do anything? I always go out of my way to get them because I guess they give you a boost, but then I get distracted by the way it spins you around and it doesn't seem like it helps.

I'm running with a Bayonetta Mii for now, thats how you'll know if I'm there.  I cant edit the name and I havent figured out what attribute about it jives so well with my kart yet.

Another important thing is that the stats round down to the nearest whole number, so 4 is the same as 4.75.  Keep that in mind when optimizing.

A thing I've been trying with blue shells lately is to jump off the side since you are immune as Lakitu brings you back.  Ideally, the blue shell hits you just as you are about to land and would be in a better position than if you had let it just hit you.

As far as the spin boosting, its slight but its a definite boost.  A little bit of fire comes out your tailpipe after the spinning out part.

Hey all, sorry for the delayed response.  Thanks for everyone who jumped online last week! I'm very sorry about my lack of knowledge about how the tournament system works.  From my limited experience with it now, it appears you can only race in a tournament with others if they are currently in the lobby with you. If you're late to the lobby and the tournament has started, you must wait until all races that make up the tournament are complete before you can compete in it.

That said, is there a preference for Thursday on racing in a private room or would you all prefer to do another tournament?  If the OP could include a poll in the thread, that would be awesome!  

Are you all still up for this Thursday 10 p.m. EST/7p.m. PST for races?  I'd like to try the lobby chat now that I know how it works (thanks, Equistina!).  Just let me know.  

Again my apologies for the delay on posting - it's summer and my wife and I are dealing with later bed times for our girls, which pushes everything else back.

^ Hey wjhard63.  Thursdays are still good with me, but it's still a crapshoot if I make it since I'm 7 PST.

I'll still try to make it on time.

And if you know how to lobby chat, PLEASE SHARE!  I've had the WiiU since launch but still learning the online lobby/functions of it.

Even hunted down one of those cheap headsets from TRU.

Yeah, supposedly the gamepad mic works, but I play with the classic controller. And I'm not sure if I press - to talk or if pressing it mutes my mic.

No hockey on Thursday, so I can get on at 7:00.

So, how are things s'pose to happen tonight.  Is there another code we need?  Or do we just try to join a match that another CAGs already in?

I was assuming we were just joining the CAG room from last time (for the tourney)
I didn't get any responses back so I think we should just do the private room and skip the tourney tonight. That way anyone can jump in and out and join the next race whenever.

Seems easier plus I don't think we can chat in the tournament lobby. I'm going to try chatting tonight for the first time...We'll see how it goes.

See you all at 10 pm EST/ 7 pm PST!

I'll check in tonight and see if anyone's on. I think I've only get Equistina added right now? I'm ActionKazimer if you guys wanna shoot me a friend request.

I didn't get any responses back so I think we should just do the private room and skip the tourney tonight. That way anyone can jump in and out and join the next race whenever.

Seems easier plus I don't think we can chat in the tournament lobby. I'm going to try chatting tonight for the first time...We'll see how it goes.

See you all at 10 pm EST/ 7 pm PST!
Okay, so I'll look for you all racing tonight then :D

Sorry boys and girls, but I'm going to have to call it quits tonight (not that I offered up much of a challenge :lol:).  Game keeps dropping me mid-race with some communication error.

What the ? We all got dropped :(

Next time Spooge :)

My husband is racing now for me as mommy duty calls :)
That happened to me a few times. I'm pretty sure at least one or two people figured I rage quit.

And I hear you about duties. Both of my kids are in bed and my fiance is at work. Very rare moments for me.

Oh everyone got dropped? My internet died sometime in the beginning and when it happened again I figured it wasn't internet so just called it quits. Was fun while it lasted though.

I know I got dropped after maybe... ~7 races and couldn't get back in but it was good times. Every race I finished decently in I'd follow up by placing 10th or so. Gotta practice more, but that was also the first time I've used Roy and that kart configuration.

I could hear some people chatting at times but couldn't really understand anyone. Maybe it's me?

I had to quit to put my younger boys to bed. They both took late naps today, so I played as much as I could before they got tired and needed to hit the hay. I'll start a private room for a little while if there are still people lingering... Ltrain23 is my NNID.

That was fun everyone .  I got on a little late but caught a couple of rounds.

Catcha next time!

At least my headset worked... now to figure out if the mic on the headset works :)

I know I got dropped after maybe... ~7 races and couldn't get back in but it was good times. Every race I finished decently in I'd follow up by placing 10th or so. Gotta practice more, but that was also the first time I've used Roy and that kart configuration.

I could hear some people chatting at times but couldn't really understand anyone. Maybe it's me?
I think the game gets easier once you learn little tricks. Like coins give you a small boost. I use to think they were useless.

I could barely hear people as well. Wasnt sure if people could hear me.

bread's done
Back