Mario Kart 8

Anyone know how many players can play on one machine that is online? i.e., could four players play online simultaneously from one Wii U? Seems like it would require constraints, but I'd like to be able to arrange outings of eight people at my house, you know?

Anyone know how many players can play on one machine that is online? i.e., could four players play online simultaneously from one Wii U? Seems like it would require constraints, but I'd like to be able to arrange outings of eight people at my house, you know?
2 players can play locally online. 4 player is only local MP.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, I'm seeing one disappointing thing in the reviews. Ideally I'd want to be able to play splitscreen with my son by taking full advantage of that second screen so that we both could have full screen views. I really don't like the limited view in split-screen, though of course I appreciate the option (as opposed to not having it at all). But doesn't Sonic Transformed allow for that (one person full-screen on pad, one full-screen on TV)? I just assumed that would be a key feature and I swear I had heard that in preview write-ups from months back. But no go in the final build - from the IGN review:

There’s a few other small disappointments in Mario Kart 8 as well. The GamePad always mirrors what’s on the television instead of splitting players into two separately rendered screens.
Nintendo really dropped the ball on this. Actually, that is almost enough to make me not want to play it. I'll still get it because of the free game (especially since I already traded my Pikmin 3 back to GS). Without that offer I might have considered passing because of this. Hell, I'd take full-screen 2-player over having any online features whatsoever (though I realize that would be a minority opinion). But to me, it is that big a deal.

I'm not going to play it solo or online. I'd only be playing it with my son. And I find that I can't do any advanced type of play with splitscreen. Yeah, I can muddle through a game, but it is much harder without the peripheral view you get from full-screen.

I'm also disappointed in the nerfed battle mode as that was a mainstay in our house with previous console versions.

Just bought the Mario Kart 8 Wheel ($9.99) today at Best Buy. It suposed to come out tomorrow but I'm glad I don't want to wait. Earlier, I was gonna pre-order at Walmart to get this as a free bonus but as a GCU member I get 20% or $12 off retail so the wheels should be as a free bonus. :D

Can someone please explain the appeal of the wheels? I feel like if you have any sort of imagination whatsoever, you can just hold the wiimote sideways and save yourself $10-$12.

I'm guessing that the lack of separate full screens on the TV and gamepad are a technical limitation thing.  I'd imagine it would take a lot more power to put two completely separate things on each screen compared to mirroring the TV.  I haven't played a ton of Wii U games but all of them that I have either mirror or had something very basic graphically on the gamepad.  With the graphical level of Mario Kart 8, they probably just couldn't do it.

The wheel may not be the greatest thing ever, but in my opinion it feels more comfortable to hold than the wiimote on its own for playing a game like Mario Kart.

The Wiimote has always been too tiny to hold horizontally for my preference. Great controller for verticle, pointing play but unless you have baby hands the horizontal orientation is pretty uncomfortable especially that tiny dpad.

I can imagine the Wii wheel helps at the very least to hold the controller horizontally.

I'm guessing that the lack of separate full screens on the TV and gamepad are a technical limitation thing. I'd imagine it would take a lot more power to put two completely separate things on each screen compared to mirroring the TV. I haven't played a ton of Wii U games but all of them that I have either mirror or had something very basic graphically on the gamepad. With the graphical level of Mario Kart 8, they probably just couldn't do it.

The wheel may not be the greatest thing ever, but in my opinion it feels more comfortable to hold than the wiimote on its own for playing a game like Mario Kart.
If Sonic Racing can handle it, there's no reason to think MK can't. I think it's pure laziness on Nintendo's part not a technical limitation.

If Sonic Racing can handle it, there's no reason to think MK can't. I think it's pure laziness on Nintendo's part not a technical limitation.
This is true but Mario Kart appears to be pushing the graphical capabllities of the WIi U a lot more than Sonic Racing did.

Yeah, I thought it might be a technical thing after reading some more reviews.

Apparently the split screen 2-player mode is a solid 60 FPS. When you have 3 or 4 it drops to 30 FPS. Part of the reason I don't like spiltscreen on some games is that the frame rate suffers and that can make it even harder to play. Ie, you get the tinier view plus a stuttering frame rate which can give you even more of a headache. But if it is really rock solid with 2 players than it might not be quite so bad. We'll see.

We did go in and play it at GS today, though we just did the single-player. It looks great, no doubt. And yeah, they had no posters or anything else at the store. Apparently some people were given various swag at the preview events - oh well...

Can't wait. Only 12 days more... Plus the free game seals the deal.

It looks to be the best MK8 since 64. I wished the online chat wasn't restricted but oh well.

Hmmm not sure which Wii U bundle to get...

Mario U bundle and try to get enough credit to pay off Mario Kart 8

Or just get Mario Kart 8 bundle on release day

Any suggestions on what the best value is?

Got a bunch of credit at Target with triple credit deal.

I currently have 2 Nyko Pro controllers I bought with that groupon deal. Those will work for Mario Kart 8 correct? So seems it would be better to get Mario U bundle, then get Mario Kart 8 separate. That would net me 4 games total for $390 or so with tax compared to $350 or so for Mario Kart bundle with tax.

Hmmm not sure which Wii U bundle to get...

Mario U bundle and try to get enough credit to pay off Mario Kart 8

Or just get Mario Kart 8 bundle on release day

Any suggestions on what the best value is?

Got a bunch of credit at Target with triple credit deal.

I currently have 2 Nyko Pro controllers I bought with that groupon deal. Those will work for Mario Kart 8 correct? So seems it would be better to get Mario U bundle, then get Mario Kart 8 separate. That would net me 4 games total for $390 or so with tax compared to $350 or so for Mario Kart bundle with tax.
You can get a deal on the NSMBU console bundle right now. It makes the MK8 bundle look like a bad deal. This links my breakdown. The prices are in the OP obviously.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/331026-nintendo-wii-u-32gb-mario-luigi-bundle-250skylander-swapforce-8gb-nintendo-wii-u-bundle-200-thru-buycomebay/?p=11770990

You can get a deal on the NSMBU console bundle right now. It makes the MK8 bundle look like a bad deal. This links my breakdown. The prices are in the OP obviously.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/331026-nintendo-wii-u-32gb-mario-luigi-bundle-250skylander-swapforce-8gb-nintendo-wii-u-bundle-200-thru-buycomebay/?p=11770990
I did something similar. Sears had the NSMBU bundle for $285, and even right there with the $10 gas card I would have been ahead. But knock off $50 from a recent mower purchase? Went ahead and took advantage of it.

Thanks, I ended up getting the NSMBU bundle at Target, only cost me $25 out of pocket. I'll get Mario Kart 8 at Best Buy. I think I'll order 2 Wii Plus Remotes from Nintendo and be good.

Can anyone recommend a good GamePad protector? Not these little flimsy things I see on Amazon.

anyone happen to know how much the limited edition will be sold for? im thinking of heading over to nintendo world and trying my luck as a walk in

Thanks, I ended up getting the NSMBU bundle at Target, only cost me $25 out of pocket. I'll get Mario Kart 8 at Best Buy. I think I'll order 2 Wii Plus Remotes from Nintendo and be good.

Can anyone recommend a good GamePad protector? Not these little flimsy things I see on Amazon.
Didn't you win a Wii U from some contest?

[quote name="mikeyD" post="11778822" timestamp="1400724963"]anyone happen to know how much the limited edition will be sold for? im thinking of heading over to nintendo world and trying my luck as a walk in[/quote]we don't know but sealed is gonna worth something...

So pumped for this! Mario Kart and Super Smash Bros are two of my friends and I favorite local multiplayers games and both are releasing this year!!!!

Seriously, this game and Smash Bros are leagues ahead of anything else announced this year on any platform. E3 might change that, and I hope it does, but there's nothing announced for PS4 that catches my interest even close to the excitement I have for these two games.

This is out today, right? Why so quiet in here!? I have to decide if I want to drive up to GS today to pick mine up...

pitfallharry219 said:
No. It comes out Friday, 5/30.
Hah, OK, I was just so used to Nintendo's Sunday releases that I figured it had to be today. Then, yeah, that was pretty stupid of them not to have it come out last Friday so people could play it over the holiday weekend.

KingBroly said:
Nintendo changed to Friday releases cuz...WEEKENDS!
That's understandable - but it should have been last Friday for the 3-day weekend if that's their logic ;).

Strange - in the Sunday paper Fred Meyer is advertising the Wii Mini Mario Kart bundle on sale this week for $89.99. There's no mention of the Wii U version at all. Target has it in their ad but it does indeed say Friday.

Sad year for games if this ends up actually being true.
If the E3 leaks are to be believed, sad year for gaming indeed. "X", which was listed as a Xenogears game, is supposed to come out and that's a good thing.

I was going to pick up a PS4 last year. Then I decided to wait till this year. If the E3 leaks are true, they'll have to give me a pretty good deal for a PS4 or I'll just wait another year. I've got plenty of 360, PS3, and Wii U stuff to tide me over + things i never played that I still want to.

Blaster man said:
If the E3 leaks are to be believed, sad year for gaming indeed. "X", which was listed as a Xenogears game, is supposed to come out and that's a good thing.

I was going to pick up a PS4 last year. Then I decided to wait till this year. If the E3 leaks are true, they'll have to give me a pretty good deal for a PS4 or I'll just wait another year. I've got plenty of 360, PS3, and Wii U stuff to tide me over + things i never played that I still want to.
I haven't been paying much attention but if that's true then the Wii U gets 3 awesome games (Kart, Smash, and X). I guess there's Watch Dogs and Destiny (or has that been delayed again?) and other multi-platform stuff for the other systems.

I'm glad I got a PS4 because I have played some of the freebie games and we got Skylanders for it as well as a Lego Marvel. And my son plays NBA 2K14 on it nearly every day. Sure, I could have gotten all those games on the PS3, but at least in the case of NBA 2K14 it does look better on the PS4. The X1 I could have skipped entirely. I've played all of one game to completion on it (took about 4 days): Ryse. Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare is kind of fun but I've only played it once. My other son plays it a bit more but even he probably only puts an hour or two a week on it. My Wii U has been gathering dust the last month or two but that will change with Kart. Mostly I play on the PS3...

I haven't been paying much attention but if that's true then the Wii U gets 3 awesome games (Kart, Smash, and X). I guess there's Watch Dogs and Destiny (or has that been delayed again?) and other multi-platform stuff for the other systems.I'm glad I got a PS4 because I have played some of the freebie games and we got Skylanders for it as well as a Lego Marvel. And my son plays NBA 2K14 on it nearly every day. Sure, I could have gotten all those games on the PS3, but at least in the case of NBA 2K14 it does look better on the PS4. The X1 I could have skipped entirely. I've played all of one game to completion on it (took about 4 days): Ryse. Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare is kind of fun but I've only played it once. My other son plays it a bit more but even he probably only puts an hour or two a week on it. My Wii U has been gathering dust the last month or two but that will change with Kart. Mostly I play on the PS3...
I've actually been getting the free ps4 stuff given with ps+ through the web login. When I get around to getting one I will have a lot of games.

I'm mostly playing ps3 too. I expect to beat my kids at mk8 next weekend! ;)

So does anyone know how this game works via unlockables?

I ask because well trying to juggle this and Watch Dogs and I wanna unlock all the stuff like characters for online.

I've got two copies coming from Dell. Do you think I could get a second game download by registering the game to a sub account of my Club Nintendo account? I figured it would work fine

I've got two copies coming from Dell. Do you think I could get a second game download by registering the game to a sub account of my Club Nintendo account? I figured it would work fine
I don't see why not. You might be able to put both on your club Nintendo account directly. They're two separate SNs after all.

This is YMMV, but for those who want to try, see if it works out for you.

Went into sears today after seeing the post from yesterday. They had one copy that had no price sign or anything. Asked to purchase it and when they rang it up the release date was set as yesterday. Also from some weird in store points program I got $30 back. Just wanted to let everyone know so they had the chance to go pick up a copy while they can.
SOURCE: http://wiiudaily.com/2014/05/sears-mario-kart-8-early/

TPoppaPuff said:
Really? That's dumb. Good to know.
Yeah, but you can make a sub-account (child account) and register it there. The points still go to the main account. I'm not sure how that would work for the free game promo though - that might just be one per account.

Waiting for Amazon to ship my copy. Has not changed status yet. Last time I preordered a game on Friday release (Kirby for 3DS), they delivered it on Tuesday. Hopefully they one day it, or if they don't one night it, at least not ship it so I can cancel it tomorrow morning.

Waiting for Amazon to ship my copy. Has not changed status yet. Last time I preordered a game on Friday release (Kirby for 3DS), they delivered it on Tuesday. Hopefully they one day it, or if they don't one night it, at least not ship it so I can cancel it tomorrow morning.
They should ship it soon

Mine just shipped about an hour ago

The f**ck?!  I just uploaded one of the highlight clips to my YouTube account and  Nintendo gave me a copyright notice.  What's the point of having this feature if people can't use it.  I have disputed the claim.  I'll wait and see what happens.

bread's done
Back