Mario Kart 8

[quote name="ProfWho" post="11815382" timestamp="1401935730"]Is it possible for me to sell my free game code to a friend even if they got a free game from getting Mario Kart as well?[/quote]read the thread for christs sake this question is everywhere

No.

Does anyone know if it is possible to race against your friends ghosts?
I remember reading somewhere this is possible...but I don't see the option. That's a pretty annoying oversight if it turns out you can't. Best bet is to look it up, see if any info is out there on the subject.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been enjoying it and I finally unlocked all of the characters. All I really wanted was Rosalina, but she was the last one for me to unlock which kinda sucked. 

Also, I couldn't help thinking of this song after playing the new Rainbow Road tracks.

http://youtu.be/FuX5_OWObA0

I've been enjoying it and I finally unlocked all of the characters. All I really wanted was Rosalina, but she was the last one for me to unlock which kinda sucked.

Also, I couldn't help thinking of this song after playing the new Rainbow Road tracks.
I've only unlocked 3 characters so far, Rosalina was the latest one I unlocked. I guess there's no set order then to the unlocking?

I didn't know that. Thanks. Dumb that it's not more obvious.
You were able to tell in MK7 by going to scrolling through one of the options can't remember which, I looeked through everything and couldn't find it in this.

He's talking about "Fire Hopping." Been playing every day since launch, have seen and done this, and it's really not that big a deal. In time trials, sure, maybe. But in the chaos of online, you can't hop away away from items.

http://kotaku.com/mario-kart-has-a-new-controversial-technique-1585596362

Any of you guys playing, feel free to shoot me an add. NNID is ActionKazimer. I'll probably be the Bowser in the Landship with the Bowser Kite.
You changed your name again, would have never guessed that was you.

I've only unlocked 3 characters so far, Rosalina was the latest one I unlocked. I guess there's no set order then to the unlocking?
Same thing happened to me, my daughter likes the female characters, Wendy and Pink Gold Peach which I think is a waste for a character. I think I'm around 850 coins, still have a lot more to go to unlock the rest.

You changed your name again, would have never guessed that was you.
Glad ya found me! I should be sticking with this one.

As far as racing your friend's ghosts, I think I read that they have to upload their runs of a track before you can take them on. I've yet to try myself, however.

Wow, those red shells will hunt you down even if you take to the air!

I've registered everyone in the spreadsheet so I hope we can get some races going.

So far, my favorite stage would have to be Twisted Mansion. That tune is so catchy! And I like how the stage untwists as you race (hence the name, I guess).

And that guitar hero-like stage is such a trip! It makes my eyes glaze over.

I love how much detail they put into the scenery, but the faster the race goes the less you can pay attention to everything.

This game/bundle + free game is tempting me. I've been playing Mario Kart Wii and I would really appreciate the updated graphics. Is 8 just as good as the Wii version in terms of gameplay?

With Smash Bros. on the way I don't know if I can hold out.

I thought the Wii game was garbage so this is a huge step up for me (despite the dozen or so questionable changes).

I'm up to 4, IIRC, and they went Lemmy, Rosalina, Metal Mario, Baby Rosalina.

read the thread for christs sake this question is everywhere No.
Thanks for the standard complain because I chose not to read 7 pages of the thread question. It actually took more effort for you to do that than to simply ignore me. Sorry, I am breaking the internet for you.

Couldn't profWho redeem the MK code on his own account and get the free game code his friend wants and pass that along?
Yes, this is the question. I just want to know if I get the code can my friend redeem it. We both have Mario Kart, but I have no use for my free game (since I have them all already). I just figured could help a friend out. That said I have a disc version of Wii Party U (I have kids) and I figure if it doesn't work I will just get the DL code for that and maybe trade in the disc for a $1 or whatever the trade in is for it.

On a side note, did they remove the power slide mechanic where you moved the stick back and forth to charge it up faster? It feels that way to me. I didn't play 7 so I don't know if it was removed earlier.

This game/bundle + free game is tempting me. I've been playing Mario Kart Wii and I would really appreciate the updated graphics. Is 8 just as good as the Wii version in terms of gameplay?

It's infinitely better than MK Wii. The Wii game was really unbalanced with its items and kind of ruined it for me. Comparatively, MK7 and now MK8 have done a lot to be more playable but still retain the item system. I'm a big fan of both 7 and 8.

Yeah, this is much better than MK Wii. I just wish it had arenas for battle mode. I will hold out hope that they add them later.

The game balance and feel of the game is different from Mario Kart Wii. I would say Mario Kart 7 balanced both styles and is the better game in my book out of the three.

The game is balanced unless you play in Frantic Mode. Frantic Mode is just a nightmare.

It's a nightmare because in a race there will be 5-6 bullet bills, 8 stars, etc. It becomes too much. Although regular karting is fun as hell.

Tried searching and this seems to be the best place to ask...  Any help would be appreciated!

I plan to register my copy of Mario Kart 8 on my Club Nintendo account, grab the Wind Waker HD download code and give that to my friend (I already own all four of the free game choices).  Now since I have a deluxe version of the Wii U and my buddy has a standard version, is there any way he could still activate the WW HD code on his Wii U / NNID account and then I obtain the 599 points back through the Deluxe Digital Promotion?  Haven't yet made a purchase through the eShop, so I'm not familiar with all the ins and outs of the DDP.

Update:  Looks like I'm out of luck.

https://p.nintendo.net/deluxe/static.do

If different Nintendo Network IDs are used to buy games and content at the Nintendo eShop on a single Wii U Deluxe Set, points will be earned for each individual purchase on the specific Nintendo Network ID that was used to make that purchase. After points are earned on a Network account ID, they cannot be transferred or combined with points on a different Network ID.

Secondly, I have already achieved Platinum status for Club Nintendo this year.  Would it be possible to wait until July 1st to register Mario Kart 8 on my account, so the coins earned count toward next year's Gold/Platinum status or will the free game promo be over by then?

Update:  Promo ends July 31st, so I'll just wait a couple more weeks to register the game and receive the free download code.

http://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/Mf9RJDcWmALXECxUdPB0Lf3N9Jb2VtRt

Thanks for any help you can provide!

I bought a physical copy of MK8, registered it, and redeemed the Pikmin 3 code.  If I get the digital version, is there a way to make sure that it registers under a different name in my family club nintendo account so I can get another code?  Or, will purchasing the digital version automatically give me another club nintendo code anyway?

Anyone who knows, please respond, and thanks!

Is the Mario Kart bundle a limited edition or something? I haven't seen any n the wild at all.
Limited edition? No, LE would be like the Legend of Zelda one that had the unique gamepad.

The MK one is just popular right now so a lot of places sold out, in fact I don't think stores got to many to begin with because I think they were thinking since wii us were selling slow they would be okay with only 2-3, which is what I saw at most places.

I'm new to the series. Picked the game up last week, and still haven't played it yet. I also redeemed Wind Waker HD. Another game I haven't touched along with Rayman Legends. 

Is the Mario Kart bundle a limited edition or something? I haven't seen any n the wild at all.
Nintendo rep this weekend said it was a huge, major hit. They can't keep them in stock anywhere.

Of her stores, she said Target was your best bet to get one. (I guess they sell the slowest at Target in her area.)

I've finished all of 50cc and 100cc. Gotta work through the next two before I really commit to online play. I definitely want to (eventually) play some of you guys!

I know Nintendo traditionally does not really do DLC but it would be nice to get some more classic maps for this and I know everyone is pressing for actual new battle arenas. And since this is the best selling Wii U game to date they should really look into it.

I haven't gotten a chance to play as much as I'd like the last couple weeks. I finished gold cupping 150 a couple weeks ago, still need all the stars, and just need a couple more gold cups on mirror.

I gotta say that although blue shells don't seem to be as frequent as in past games, and it is great we have the horn to defend against them, the game still does find ways to be cheap as others pointed out earlier. I've had like three computer players hit me with red shells right in a row as I approach the finish line. Frustrating for sure but its part of the fun with Mario Kart. Overall I can't complain, this is one of the titles I bought the Wii U for. Plus our whole family has fun playing four player together so money and time well spent!

Oh and add me for games, my Nintendo ID is RayGunFox

I gotta say that although blue shells don't seem to be as frequent as in past games, and it is great we have the horn to defend against them, the game still does find ways to be cheap as others pointed out earlier. I've had like three computer players hit me with red shells right in a row as I approach the finish line. Frustrating for sure but its part of the fun with Mario Kart. Overall I can't complain, this is one of the titles I bought the Wii U for. Plus our whole family has fun playing four player together so money and time well spent!
That's Mario Kart... :D/ neener, neener, neener.

Haven't 3-starred the 150cc because of things like that. For example, came in 1st on the first 3 races of a cup without trouble; leading thru the entire 4th race only to get hit by three red shells at finish line. Ended up finishing in 4th place.

But to be fair, haven't tried too hard either. Keep going back online more often than not (like that's any better :lol: )

I played my first 150cc cup tonight and was as easy as the others have been. Items came my way, but, I had blockers.

We'll see if all of the cups go this smoothly.

I finally got around to playing the retro Rainbow Road and Yoshi Valley last night. Those are two of my favorite tracks ever in any Mario Kart. I was really disappointed with Rainbow Road because it's way too short now. Yoshi Valley is great, but I wish they had kept the mystery of what place you're in like in MK 64.

OK, here's a new one for me...  had 3 separate online races last night where the order in which I finished the race is NOT where I placed in the final tally.

Ex:  In one race, I crossed the finish line in 3rd and I was clearly listed in 3rd place.  Once the second to last racer crossed the finish line, the game completed it's final tally and knocked me down to 5th place.

Trying to figure out if it had to do with the # of points I have, in comparison to the other racers... you know, kinda how you earn less points if you're beating others who have fewer points than you. 

Guess I'm trying to figure out if it's coded into the game to behave this way or if it's just lag

OK, here's a new one for me... had 3 separate online races last night where the order in which I finished the race is NOT where I placed in the final tally.

Ex: In one race, I crossed the finish line in 3rd and I was clearly listed in 3rd place. Once the second to last racer crossed the finish line, the game completed it's final tally and knocked me down to 5th place.

Trying to figure out if it had to do with the # of points I have, in comparison to the other racers... you know, kinda how you earn less points if you're beating others who have fewer points than you.

Guess I'm trying to figure out if it's coded into the game to behave this way or if it's just lag
Unfortunately, it's just lag.

I hate that lag. I think I'm in first suddenly I'm in 4th when the race ends...it's just as annoying as hitting someone with a shell & still seeing them ahead of you.

Oh well, issues aside I've yet to become tired of the game. :) Although I hadn't gone online for a bit, went on last night & people already had 6000 points. Geeze...basement kids right there. Games barely been out a month.

I hate that lag. I think I'm in first suddenly I'm in 4th when the race ends...it's just as annoying as hitting someone with a shell & still seeing them ahead of you.

Oh well, issues aside I've yet to become tired of the game. :) Although I hadn't gone online for a bit, went on last night & people already had 6000 points. Geeze...basement kids right there. Games barely been out a month.
I broke 3k and had one of those moments where I just reeled back, reflected, and decided to take a walk. Game got it's hooks in me bad. I've been off for a while now, but I think I'ma try to hop on a bit more often. Need to get in on these CAG race nights.

MK8 is fun but they've neutered the game/series so much (it's damn near Mario Kart for Dummies at this point) it hasn't really been calling my name to come and play after the initial first week high.

Anyone notice the little star that's on the top of the screen during online races? What's it for??? 

Think it only shows once the race ends & you can hit the + button to cycle through a few.

I remember having the 2 star filled in, but 1 & 3 are not filled in.

Anyone notice the little star that's on the top of the screen during online races? What's it for???

Think it only shows once the race ends & you can hit the + button to cycle through a few.

I remember having the 2 star filled in, but 1 & 3 are not filled in.
Maybe you're talking about your favorites? I believe you can have up to 6. When you hit "+", you add that race replay to your favorites (under MKTV).

MK8 is fun but they've neutered the game/series so much (it's damn near Mario Kart for Dummies at this point) it hasn't really been calling my name to come and play after the initial first week high.
You're right. I, too, long for the time when it was a realistic racing sim.

Maybe you're talking about your favorites? I believe you can have up to 6. When you hit "+", you add that race replay to your favorites (under MKTV).
Maybe I did it without realizing it.

But it seems to always to have the 2nd star filled in, regardless of the track I'm on.

I agree about MK8 being Mario Kart for dummies. It amazes me when I can win 1st place 3-6 times in a row online..

I broke 3k and had one of those moments where I just reeled back, reflected, and decided to take a walk. Game got it's hooks in me bad. I've been off for a while now, but I think I'ma try to hop on a bit more often. Need to get in on these CAG race nights.
See, 3k is a totally fine number. I just broke 3k yesterday. Players who have 3k just make think they played the game like me: played for a few days almost straight, then casually played every once in a while for a few races & took a break.
But then today I see people with 7k & 8k?? That's insane.
However, today I realized that you get more points for playing against people, & winning/getting in the top 7, with 3k points & up though. So I admit I might be wrong thinking that those with 7k & up have way too much time on their hands. Maybe they're just constantly playing with those higher ranked people.

You're right. I, too, long for the time when it was a realistic racing sim.
exactly what I was going for.

Just a few things removed from the series to balance it for noobs:

- hold item 1 and pick up item 2

- forcing an item to 'pop' to use it faster

- no manual power slide, timed instead

- no upside down question block to hide amongst the real blocks

- no chance of pulling out of a banana slide

- not positive on this one, but I don't recall grass killing all momentum/power slides as bad as it does in this one

they've also widened most of the courses so far you could fit 8 karts wide. Little chance of ever driving off course.

Falling off the stages also has a much faster recovery time in MK8, which is great for me on Rainbow Road! Also, the blue shell doesn't seem quite as devastating (in addition to being "defeatable" now).

I do miss the old method for power sliding (moving the control stick back and forth), I still do that out of habit sometimes.

^ I still do that too, but so I can drag out a power slide move until I trigger the more powerful boost

bread's done
Back