Mario Kart 8

The f**ck?! I just uploaded one of the highlight clips to my YouTube account and Nintendo gave me a copyright notice. What's the point of having this feature if people can't use it. I have disputed the claim. I'll wait and see what happens.
Probably one of YouTube's automatic flaggers. Happens literally all the time.

How the heck do I not play with the gamepad but instead my wii u pro controller?
Press b on the gamepad all the way back to the title screen. From here it will say press a to start. Instead of pressing a with the gamepad do it with a connected pro controller.

Anybody else blowing through this game? I mean, I had heard in a few reviews this would be the easiest MK yet but others assured me it would be just as hard as others. Yet even with my bad kart driving skills I have almost beat 100CC. Which I've never done on any of the MKs. Ever. I can barely beat the first two cups in 100CC on MK Wii lol.

Still really enjoying this game, but I just can't believe the difficultly level is like this.

Difficulty definitely ramps up during 150cc (just like MK7 did).

It's harder to get 3 stars especially if you don't have the right kart combo.  

So far 50cc and 100cc were a breeze but I've only been able to 3 star 2 of the cups on 150cc.

Then there is mirror which is probably even more challenging. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I've done 3 of the 50cc cups so far and they were extremely easy. Easier than I expected. My kids go 11th and 12th consistently though.

I hate that the box is red, it clashes with the other game boxes.

The game itself is a lot of fun. I see why there were so many complaints about battle mode. It is bad. Really bad. I tried to do one match and all I heard was complaining because they couldn't find anyone. It's true, the race tracks as battle mode suck.

Great game but far from perfect.

So the games manual says only the creator can change settings on created tournaments. How do you do that and how can you delete tournaments? Come on Nintendo wtf? smh

Played this with the kiddos tonight. My 6 and 4 year-olds are frustrated at the controls and can't finish out of last place. We tried both Pro Controller and Wii remote in wheel (which actually works remarkably well - for me at least). My 11 year-old and I cleared the 50cc cups. I did the first 100cc one and barely squeaked by with a win (and no stars). I remember having a hell of a time clearing everything on the GC version which was really the first Mario Kart I played and clearing it was one of my first "modern" gaming challenges, really. I had to ditch the Wavebird and plug in a real controller and sit much closer to the TV to be able to complete it. I busted through all the cups (and mirror mode) to unlock that gold kart late at night after the kids were all asleep.

(I had bought a Gamecube for my now 14 and 17 year-old kids in Dec. 2003 and that was my first console since my Atari/Colecovision youth... Mario Kart Double Dash, Mario Sunshine, and the Rogue Squadron games were my first non-blip-blip console game experiences.)

I've done 3 of the 50cc cups so far and they were extremely easy. Easier than I expected. My kids go 11th and 12th consistently though.

The game itself is a lot of fun. I see why thiere were so many complaints about battle mode. It is bad. Really bad. I tried to do one match and all I heard was complaining because they couldn't find anyone. It's true, the race tracks as battle mode suck.

I as well hate this, it would probably bother me more if one of my wii u game boxes wasn't green and prepared me a little bit with its non-matchiness D:

I as well hate this, it would probably bother me more if one of my wii u game boxes wasn't green and prepared me a little bit with its non-matchiness D:
I don't have the Luigi box. At least most of it looks similar with the cover art though so it's not as bad as it could be but as someone that stores them on a shelf together, I like it to look good.

The game itself is a lot of fun. I see why there were so many complaints about battle mode. It is bad. Really bad. I tried to do one match and all I heard was complaining because they couldn't find anyone. It's true, the race tracks as battle mode suck.

Complaining about color of box really..... Wow. To be honest coming from you I'm not shocked.

Omg every time you beat the special cup you have to watch 10 minutes of unskippable credits wtf nintendo

The new Battle Mode is awful. How this got past play testing is beyond me.

The controls are fine for me except one thing. For some reason, probably previous MK games, I keep wanting to hit X to use a weapon, not L.

Nintendo makes a box color red for Mario how dare they. I guess he never owned the red box of new super Mario bros on wii.
Nope, never played that game. It never appealed to me. Mario Kart is a good game that I'm interested in and can play with people I know so I got it despite the red color of the box. One of the reasons I wanted a Wii U is because it was black and matched my entertainment center. I was so happy to get rid of the white Wii. Such an eyesore.

The new Battle Mode is awful. How this got past play testing is beyond me.

The controls are fine for me except one thing. For some reason, probably previous MK games, I keep wanting to hit X to use a weapon, not L.
Yep, it's absolutely terrible. I played it once with my kids and wife and will never play it again. I used to love battle mode on SNES and N64. They could have just taken the N64 battle arenas and used those and it would have worked out better.

So, how does everyone like this game so far?

I haven't tried battle mode yet, but my only complaint so far is that you're not able to hold two items like in past entries.

Otherwise, it's a step up from Mario Kart Wii.

I actually love this game a lot more than MK wii. The whole game itself feels like a step up from that one imo (minus the battle mode).
I haven't played the battle mode, but from the description & others comments on it I already know I will greatly hate it as the battle mode levels have always been my favorite part of the MK series. A map to find people, a fun level that wasn't at all about driving skills but rather aiming & dodging skills. That's what the battle mode has always been to me since the SNES. So I'm really dissapointed in this new one..

Anyway, that aside my only other complaints are not being able to hold 2 items (which greatly frustrates me because I end up letting go of other items I need since I'm so use to the trick) & the fact player 1 can not get it's own screen unless 5 people are playing. As someone earlier said, they really dropped the ball on that one.
Overall, I'm having a great time despite all that. :) I skipped MK7 so these customizing karts & the flying is really awesome to me.

So, how does everyone like this game so far?

I haven't tried battle mode yet, but my only complaint so far is that you're not able to hold two items like in past entries.

Otherwise, it's a step up from Mario Kart Wii.
The game is great. The battle is garbage but you should try it once at least. Not holding 2 items is a pain. I hate that they give you coins in the item boxes. I don't know when they started doing that, I never played Mario Kart 7 and very little Mario Kart Wii because I hated the motion controls. Also I don't like the box being red. The complaints (with the exception of battle mode) are not that big of a deal though so overall the game is definitely a 9/10.

Press the plus button. I was pretty annoyed about this too, pressed random buttons & the plus did the trick heh :p
I swear I did that (I pushed every button many times) and it did not work. Maybe that works only on the Gamepad, because I was doing it on the Pro Controller.

the fact player 1 can not get it's own screen unless 5 people are playing. As someone earlier said, they really dropped the ball on that one.
Yep, it is so much harder to win in split screen, especially with it side-to-side. I can't see the edges of tracks for drifting, etc. Can you change it to upper and lower screen instead? But yeah, it would have been a huge plus to have 1 player on Gamepad, and the other on the screen. I wish they had done this even if it meant a small drop in framerate. So you can have 5 players with one getting the pad to themselves? That I did not know. We'll have to give that a shot.

I swear I did that (I pushed every button many times) and it did not work. Maybe that works only on the Gamepad, because I was doing it on the Pro Controller.

Yep, it is so much harder to win in split screen, especially with it side-to-side. I can't see the edges of tracks for drifting, etc. Can you change it to upper and lower screen instead? But yeah, it would have been a huge plus to have 1 player on Gamepad, and the other on the screen. I wish they had done this even if it meant a small drop in framerate. So you can have 5 players with one getting the pad to themselves? That I did not know. We'll have to give that a shot.
A lot of people complained about them not utilizing the gamepad. In general they're doing a really bad job justifying that thing as necessary.

Loving the main game but extremely disappointed in the battle mode. How can they have gone so wrong in that area?
I'd give them 5 bucks for DLC with real battle arenas even though they should make them and give them out free.

So annoyed...my copy wont be here till Wednesday!  I preordered from BB and usually I get games on release day but this one is just sitting in CT!  :whistle2:(  Ugh...

After the first play through of the credits, the second time play through of the credits pressing plus worked. Was using the pro controller as well.

I used the Pro Controller simply by turning it on when I turned on the system. Had no problem.

Some positives: The courses, specifically the Star and Special cups are freaking awesome. Electrode and Rainbow Road are my favorites so far. They also did a good job incorporating the hover feature into the old courses.

Not my favorite Mario Kart, they improved on a lot of things but took away a lot of what I liked from MK 7. One of my biggest gripes is not being able to hold an item and get another in que.

I used the Pro Controller simply by turning it on when I turned on the system. Had no problem.

Some positives: The courses, specifically the Star and Special cups are freaking awesome. Electrode and Rainbow Road are my favorites so far. They also did a good job incorporating the hover feature into the old courses.
I feel they fell further from the Mario wolrd than before, I didn't really care for the themes they chose, they have even more to choose from. I hope they incorporate DLC but knowing Nintendo they won't.

As someone already said, you have to sit through the credits once then press the plus button. I used the wii-mote though. I would assume since someone already tested it with the pro-controller this will probably work on all controllers.

I could care less about frame rates considering they don't even matter when I can barely see the track lol. Ugh..I really hate the multiplayer now because of this. & one of my family members has poor eyesight, so only being able to see the split screen on the gamepad too did not help...
The 5th person getting their own screen was a comment I heard on anther forum, haven't tried it yet myself. Will be testing it out tommorrow.
As for toggling the split screen: on one of the many threads on MK 8 here I definitely saw someone mention there is a way to choose vertical view instead, but I can't for the life of me find this. Can anyone confirm if this is possible?

Also: just played the battle mode. Omg...it's as terrible as everyone says...I have never been so bored & frustrated while playing a game than during that mode...what a let down. I was so excited to play the normal battle mode when I first saw this game too..

Loving the game so far

My husband actually played it last night too so I'm super happy :D (you don't understand this man never plays games, very VERY rarely)

I haven't gone online yet, I want to unlock everything first, but so far I'm happy (also, I hate that you can only have one item at a time)

Not my favorite Mario Kart, they improved on a lot of things but took away a lot of what I liked from MK 7. One of my biggest gripes is not being able to hold an item and get another in que.
That's been in MK for as long as I can remember. WTF is up with removing the second item? I noticed that on the first race I ran last night. Horrible change. I know this is Nintendo and chances of it happening are about the same as winning the lottery, but I wonder if they can patch that back in.

Other boneheaded design choices... coins... what are they for? where can I see my coin total? The game doesn't tell you shit. If I earn them why can't I buy what upgrades I want instead of random shit? Let me unlock characters/items of my choosing. If I have 10 in a race let me buy something other than a banana or green shell(or maybe a special item you can't get in ?blocks). Then you would have trade off, do you spend them in race to help with a victory or save them and risk losing to hoard them for unlockables.

Also first race I play after pulling off the shrink wrap, the infamous MK rubberband AI was in full effect. Was locked in 1st by a wide margin going into the last half of the third lap... get nailed by a red shell, followed by a green shell. No biggie, I was ahead enough to recover and get up to speed and get nailed by a blue shell. By this time the rest of the pack is passing me when I get hit by either a bob-omb or the horn blaster (or whatever it is). lol Still managed to eek out a 1st. Just funny seeing how nothing has changed in a decade with this game.

Also, they really need to bring back the giant bananas.

Other boneheaded design choices... coins... what are they for? where can I see my coin total? The game doesn't tell you shit. If I earn them why can't I buy what upgrades I want instead of random shit? Let me unlock characters/items of my choosing. If I have 10 in a race let me buy something other than a banana or green shell(or maybe a special item you can't get in ?blocks). Then you would have trade off, do you spend them in race to help with a victory or save them and risk losing to hoard them for unlockables.
Coins were reintroduced in MK7. When you collect enough you get a random customizatuon cart. No idea what the max needed is in this game, but MK7 you needed 3500 to get all the parts. Online matches do count towards the coin total.

I notice the 2nd item thing in the demo. Took Nintendo 8 games to take that out? That trick was as useful as drifting damn it. The coin total are on the bottom left of the sceen. Max 10 coins. And they give you better top speed from what I remember.
no, I got that. I'm talking about overall. Do I have 100 or 600, does something unlock at 150 or 875? With it being hidden it feels random and completely arbitrary. I'd like to know what I'm working towards and where I stand at that goal. Otherwise it might as well just unlock shit at random. Oh look it's the second Tuesday of he month, have some new wheels! Hey today is a lunar eclipse, here's Baby Rosalina.

Unless I'm missing something, I just don't see a running tally anywhere.

I guess I have the same gripes as everyone else

• No mini-map on the screen
  • Can't hold an item and pick up another
  • Can't trigger an item that spins around you or stays attached to you (turtle shells, piranha plant) and pick up another
Fun game other than that!

I guess I have the same gripes as everyone else

• No mini-map on the screen
  • Can't hold an item and pick up another
  • Can't trigger an item that spins around you or stays attached to you (turtle shells, piranha plant) and pick up another
Fun game other than that!
And they totally destroyed battle mode (hope some DLC can fix that)

My thoughts on the game.

Pros:

-Excellent track design. Even the classic tracks for the most part feel fresh and new but yet still keep the classic part of them.

-Mario Kart TV

-Fun online mode.

-Free Game with purchase.

Cons:

-Blue Shell. Still just there to aggravate me.

-You lose coins when hit. This is moreso a problem when it costs so damn much to unlock stuff and I don't see myself being hardcore about this game. Just the occasional online.

-When you finish a race, the view highlights is above next race. I keep hitting view highlights, lol.

Overall great game, nothing too bad about it. Just a few small complaints, but overall really fun and worth the money. That is not counting the free game.

So far I'd give the nod to Mario Kart 7 as being the better game right now (besides the visuals, of course).

no, I got that. I'm talking about overall. Do I have 100 or 600, does something unlock at 150 or 875? With it being hidden it feels random and completely arbitrary. I'd like to know what I'm working towards and where I stand at that goal. Otherwise it might as well just unlock shit at random. Oh look it's the second Tuesday of he month, have some new wheels! Hey today is a lunar eclipse, here's Baby Rosalina.

Unless I'm missing something, I just don't see a running tally anywhere.
MK7 didn't have one either. At first it unlocks every 50 coins until eventually every 500 coins.

-When you finish a race, the view highlights is above next race. I keep hitting view highlights, lol.
Definitely. I hate that.

Also another problem with items is not being able to tap the item button to 'force' it to stop spinning and get your item faster. Is that new in this game? Just as aggravating as losing the two item ability.

Lots of little problems that could have easily been addressed with some better playtesting before launch.

ibhFXhuCN07FyG.gif

I like the game. Basically it's the next Mario Kart. So, I'll list some observations here but that doesn't mean, "Oh, he hates it - I shouldn't buy it," just some things I've noticed. If you've liked Mario Kart in the past then you should pick up this one.

- I don't know if the timing is ultimately the same but when you fall off the course you used to fall into the abyss and then were put back on the track. Now you just kind of get a sort of elastic fishing line effect as soon as you veer off course. Now, if the timing is the same, and I haven't used a stop watch on either to check, then it's just a visual thing and doesn't matter. If the timing is shorter now, which it seems to be, then I liked it better when going off course had a more detrimental effect for you falling behind.

- As mentioned before when you finish a race the highlighted item should be "next race" not "view highlights"

- It's dumb that they didn't give you the option of using the gamepad as a 2nd or 5th player (meaning 4 people on screen + gamepad for 5th). "Here's the awesome GamePad which is what we claim is the main selling feature for the Wii U! We made it a horn for Mario Kart!"

- The two player split screen is vertical and seems odd. Maybe it works better with going up walls but it takes some getting used to.

- I think the "going vertical" and "twisty-turny" bits of the track are a bit overused. I liked it before when it was limited to things like Rainbow Road. Thankfully, not every track has it. I just think that more tracks have it than they should. Playing, in general, used to feel like I was racing in some cartoon-like world (where basic principles applied). Now it feels like cartoon-"Inception" world. 

- I didn't notice getting caught by the credits so either I got by it without an issue or you're talking about beating a mode like 50CC and then the credits scroll. I haven't beaten any modes. I'm just playing for the fun of it.

- My daughters complained that the controls were a little off. I didn't notice that.

bread's done
Back