Mario Kart 8

I just want to say, if you have someone who doesn't play video games if you buy this they'll want to play. My husband played it again last night! He was all into it, it was cute :)

I have not tried out the game yet but I wanted to be sure that the rumors going around about issues with this game bricking the console are false. I was going to play it today but hearing these crazy stories about how the Wii U comes up with a black screen while playing the game(In Multiplayer I believe) has me very nervous so wanted to make sure all is well with the game before I try it out..Would be using the gamepad to play the game

Last edited by a moderator:
My son and I have had no problems, online or just playing. He uses the pad while I watch tv and I've thrown it on screen a few times.
I can send you a link to where I read about it..it could just be BS because I think if a video game was causing widespread bricks of consoles we would have heard about it but I will send you the info..its just whenever I read any kind of bricking issues I get nervous

anyone had any luck with getting the limited edition version at nintendo world? i got there late and the line was ridiculous!

anyone had any luck with getting the limited edition version at nintendo world? i got there late and the line was ridiculous!
How late did you get there?
I got there at around 12, & the line was already a little long (59 people I counted in front of me, with about 25 people coming later to join their groups). But if you got there past...I'd say 4 or 5 you might still have gotten the LE. I actually went in to ask how many they had, & it seemed they had ALOT there were huge stacks of them. I'd estimate at least around 200 were out, who knows how many in the back.

Oh & to answer your question: I did get one. They also gave out the keychains from the UK pre-release (1 per person, I got two: bullet bill & the golden mushroom).

This game is insanely fun and addicting.  I haven't even done single player yet to unlock courses.  I've got 80 hours logged just on online play alone.  I'm getting burned out on the same 8 tracks though so I'll have to hit solo play up soon enough.

Yeah that's the one..dont know what to make of it do you think its an isolated incident because 1.2 million copies sold I think if something were really serious we would hear more about it
It's something to keep an eye on that's for sure. Other than that though its hard to say. Could be a minimal issue or it could be much more.

Just finished 100 percenting single player and unlocking the
gold kart.

Single player was pretty damn fun.  Took me about 20 hours to complete all the cups with 3 stars, 150CC and Mirror were challenging just like I had expected. 

The game is purposely easy on 50cc and 100cc to help beginners and teach you the layout of the courses. These early modes help open the game to kids/older people.  The real challenge comes with the later modes and 3 starring every cup to unlock the special parts (good luck because it is challenging).  If you played MK7 it's the exact same way. 

Will give the game a little break and eventually hop online.  Just like MK7 the game gets even better the more you play it. This is the most fun next gen experience I've had so far.

The game looks absolutely gorgeous and is more eye popping than most PS4 games I have played. Love the graphical style and I hope Nintendo can bring this high quality to future Wii U titles. 

It's something to keep an eye on that's for sure. Other than that though its hard to say. Could be a minimal issue or it could be much more.
Someone posted a youtube video of what happened to his Wii U..now Im really scared to even try to play this game..I just cant believe that out of 1.2 million copies sold, if something really bad was going on why isnt this issue more widespread

Here is the video, you've probably already seen it but will let others view it as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VG2JpZEJ2M

Someone posted a youtube video of what happened to his Wii U..now Im really scared to even try to play this game..I just cant believe that out of 1.2 million copies sold, if something really bad was going on why isnt this issue more widespread

Here is the video, you've probably already seen it but will let others view it as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VG2JpZEJ2M
30% of the Wii U user base has this game already and that is the only reported incident, correct? If so, I'd take my chances and play the game :)

Considering there are only two reported incidents, & both of them happened to first launch systems I'd say it's pretty safe to play MK8 too. Especially if you don't have a launch system (although really, how can we tell at this point. The new bundles are probably unsold Wii U's re-bundled...^^;; ).

I understand the concern though. I'm still afraid to play Pokemon Y...& that didn't even brick the system, just the game.

How late did you get there?
I got there at around 12, & the line was already a little long (59 people I counted in front of me, with about 25 people coming later to join their groups). But if you got there past...I'd say 4 or 5 you might still have gotten the LE. I actually went in to ask how many they had, & it seemed they had ALOT there were huge stacks of them. I'd estimate at least around 200 were out, who knows how many in the back.

Oh & to answer your question: I did get one. They also gave out the keychains from the UK pre-release (1 per person, I got two: bullet bill & the golden mushroom).
i got there at around 6 pm. the line stretched around the corner deep into 6th ave. i lined up anyway but was told that they ran out of bracelets to hand out :(

its nice to know at least a cag managed to get one as well as some cool freebiess

i got there at around 6 pm. the line stretched around the corner deep into 6th ave. i lined up anyway but was told that they ran out of bracelets to hand out :(

its nice to know at least a cag managed to get one as well as some cool freebiess
Aw man, that sucks! :( I didn't hear about them even running out of the bands...I'm sorry dude.

I planned on coming around that time but when I heard about people lining up the day before, I adjusted my plans. Hope you got the game at least.

30% of the Wii U user base has this game already and that is the only reported incident, correct? If so, I'd take my chances and play the game :)
yeah - It's most likely that his Wii U was defective and Mario Kart 8 pushed the limits of one of the chips and burned it out or something, not that Mario Kart 8 is the game that'll brick a bunch of Wii Us.

A few more things to add to the WTF list of changes:

Banana peels disappear after 1 lap?  the hell?  There was nothing more satisfying than littering a single turn with banana peels on each successive lap. Gone.  I've seen them disappear right in front of me.  

Speaking of banana peels, it seems there's no chance of recovering.  Maybe they took that out of the Wii version too, I didn't spend much time with that one though.

There was something else I noticed too, but am drawing a blank right now.

Unlocked all the characters. Wont be touching Singleplayer ever again, lol.

I really enjoy that the races seem more random with items. Playing other Mario Karts it was being a sitting duck in 1st until you got blue shelled on the last lap. Here it seems a little better with that.

Banana peels disappear after 1 lap? the hell? There was nothing more satisfying than littering a single turn with banana peels on each successive lap. Gone. I've seen them disappear right in front of me.
That's always been a part of Mario Kart. Sometimes the peels disappear after a certain amount of time, and sometimes it's after too many have been thrown.

Unlocked all the characters. Wont be touching Singleplayer ever again, lol.

I really enjoy that the races seem more random with items. Playing other Mario Karts it was being a sitting duck in 1st until you got blue shelled on the last lap. Here it seems a little better with that.
If you play 4-player split screen there is so much going on that it sounds like an old arcade from the 1980s.

I am disappointed that it doesn't show what your time is at the end of a race.  So far there are several disappointments and Pikmin 3 seems to be more fun.  I really want to like this game but it just isn't that good.  Definitely not worth buying a wii u for.  

Was just playing online but now the online isn't working in this game for me.

My copy from BB came in the mail today and I just did the first 100CC race, won the cup.  So, here's some observations 4 races in:

Pros:

-Game looks gorgeous graphically, definitely an upgrade over MK Wii.

-Same fun applies (its Mario Kart, how can you NOT have fun with it)

-Good amount of customization with the karts/bikes

-Good roster of characters

-Mario Kart TV

Cons:

-No 2 item use anymore?  That's a big bummer, I lived by that in previous MK installments.

-New tracks seem a little bland so far (Mushroom Cup at least).  Not bad, just....room for improvement.

-No times posted at the end of the race (I like having that metric available)

-No race-map on the screen?  Not sure if this can be done by turning the Gamepad off (Using the Pro controller...can you even turn the Gamepad off?)

-Placement of "View Highlight Reel" above "Next Race"

-AI rubberband still in full effect

-Items seem a bit more sparse than other MK's

-Coins!  What the fuck are they for and why can you only collect 10 in a race while theres 50+ on the track?

-COINS!  WHY THE fuck IS THAT AN ITEM?!?!  I had 3 straight item pickups that ended up being coins and since I already had 10 collected they were completely wasted.  Who the fuck thought that was a good idea?

-Coins! What the fuck are they for and why can you only collect 10 in a race while theres 50+ on the track?
-COINS! WHY THE fuck IS THAT AN ITEM?!?! I had 3 straight item pickups that ended up being coins and since I already had 10 collected they were completely wasted. Who the fuck thought that was a good idea?
Collecting 10 gets your kart at it's maximum speed. Other than that, they eventually add up (and there really is no place that shows you how many you have/get) to unlock vehicles/parts.

I am on the fence about them...I don't like them being an item either, but I like that if you have 10 that may just be the difference between you pulling ahead of another racer.

I've been playing only for a hour each day, unlocking characters and vehicle parts. Whats the top 5 characters and vehicles to use? I've been doin pretty good at 100cc but at 150cc, its gettin tough. Playing on the pro controller is really good. 

I've been playing only for a hour each day, unlocking characters and vehicle parts. Whats the top 5 characters and vehicles to use? I've been doin pretty good at 100cc but at 150cc, its gettin tough. Playing on the pro controller is really good.
If I base it off of tr characters that are always trying to kill my poor Yoshi, I would say Toadette, Dk, and Daisy :/

If I base it off of tr characters that are always trying to kill my poor Yoshi, I would say Toadette, Dk, and Daisy :/
Those three are also always after my poor yoshi! XD

On a sidenote: I have a general question for those of you who have played online. Are there hacks/cheats out already for this game? I hit a player multiple times with a fire flower, & they spun around/made the noise as a racer does when hit but did not stop moving :/

Those three are also always after my poor yoshi! XD

On a sidenote: I have a general question for those of you who have played online. Are there hacks/cheats out already for this game? I hit a player multiple times with a fire flower, & they spun around/made the noise as a racer does when hit but did not stop moving :/
Hrm, I wonder if there is another yoshi driver here that is terrorized by the same? Would be interesting to find out

I saw a video yesterday about how some people were cheating with the boosts and bouncing everywhere. It's hard for me to describe, but if you look it up there's a video. I personally wouldn't drive like that.

My copy from BB came in the mail today and I just did the first 100CC race, won the cup. So, here's some observations 4 races in:

Cons:

-No 2 item use anymore? That's a big bummer, I lived by that in previous MK installments.

-New tracks seem a little bland so far (Mushroom Cup at least). Not bad, just....room for improvement.

-No times posted at the end of the race (I like having that metric available)

-No race-map on the screen? Not sure if this can be done by turning the Gamepad off (Using the Pro controller...can you even turn the Gamepad off?)

-Placement of "View Highlight Reel" above "Next Race"

-AI rubberband still in full effect

-Items seem a bit more sparse than other MK's

-Coins! What the fuck are they for and why can you only collect 10 in a race while theres 50+ on the track?

-COINS! WHY THE fuck IS THAT AN ITEM?!?! I had 3 straight item pickups that ended up being coins and since I already had 10 collected they were completely wasted. Who the fuck thought that was a good idea?
Times not posted - I never paid close attention to that but it seems dumb not to include it.

I don't mind minor tweaks to the game like getting rid of the second item. Things will be tweaked over time.

The rubber band thing is kind of dumb. It'd be nice to be able to turn it off of if they just scaled it back a bit. The alternative, which is much more pure but probably less fun, is to get rid of it completely and some people will always just be ahead because they're better players (sounds good, but may take away from the fun). On MK7 I've gone to the bathroom when the game started, came back, and won the race. This is against my daughter who's pretty good. That shouldn't be possible.

For those of you who haven't noticed: the map is available on the Gamepad so it kind of makes sense, there. It'd be nice to have to option to put it onscreen, though.

I kind of like the coin collection for unlocking things but it is not obvious at all.

I remembered the other thing that bothers me... how hitting grass or anything other than road is like hitting a wall.  I recall being slowed down, but in this game it's damn near ridiculous.  Also I should still be able to power slide in grass, instead it kills it instantly.  A go cart going 40mph isn't going to slow to a crawl just because it hits a little grass.  It'll slow and you'll lose traction but it won't be like driving through molasses.  

Hrm, I wonder if there is another yoshi driver here that is terrorized by the same? Would be interesting to find out
Mario Kart 7 brought back the rival system from Super Mario Kart, so it was probably implemented here too.

I saw a video yesterday about how some people were cheating with the boosts and bouncing everywhere. It's hard for me to describe, but if you look it up there's a video. I personally wouldn't drive like that.
You sure they just weren't in anti-gravity mode?

This game is great, but it certainly also shows the weaknesses of Nintendo. Voice chat only in the lobby? That is just dumb. I hope they patch in full voice chat, but I won't get my hopes up. We'll probably work around this by using Skype for voice chat, but having to do that is obnoxious.

Also the battle mode is really atrocious. I hope they add in arenas soon. Otherwise, though, the game is a ton of fun.

Mario Kart 7 brought back the rival system from Super Mario Kart, so it was probably implemented here too.

You sure they just weren't in anti-gravity mode?
He's talking about "Fire Hopping." Been playing every day since launch, have seen and done this, and it's really not that big a deal. In time trials, sure, maybe. But in the chaos of online, you can't hop away away from items.

http://kotaku.com/mario-kart-has-a-new-controversial-technique-1585596362

Any of you guys playing, feel free to shoot me an add. NNID is ActionKazimer. I'll probably be the Bowser in the Landship with the Bowser Kite.

She'stalking about "Fire Hopping." Been playing every day since launch, have seen and done this, and it's really not that big a deal. In time trials, sure, maybe. But in the chaos of online, you can't hop away away from items.

http://kotaku.com/mario-kart-has-a-new-controversial-technique-1585596362

Any of you guys playing, feel free to shoot me an add. NNID is ActionKazimer. I'll probably be the Bowser in the Landship with the Bowser Kite.
This is what I was talking about :0

But I corrected your post of one minor detail ;)

Also, I will send you an invite later on MK8 if that's ok

Is anyone here racing with the other CAGs tomorrow? They're doing it at 7 pm pst if I remember correctly? I still gotta add the rest of the peeps.
Of course!

I'll toss my name into the NNID thread. Sounds like it'd be fun.

Ok, so my son broke the disc getting it out of the case. What's my best route to get another one? The $20 off a second game at BB doesn't seem too great. Buy a eshop card at BB (GCU points) and download for $5 credit on the three downloaded games?

Well, now I understand why there are some matches where the leader just flys away and everyone else is left fighting for 2nd place.

Ok, so my son broke the disc getting it out of the case. What's my best route to get another one? The $20 off a second game at BB doesn't seem too great. Buy a eshop card at BB (GCU points) and download for $5 credit on the three downloaded games?
Call Ninty and see if they'll replace under warranty???

I went digital for MK8 just so I'd have immediate access to it and not think about disc-swapping. This is one of those few games that I could see playing for years.

Well, now I understand why there are some matches where the leader just flys away and everyone else is left fighting for 2nd place.
Actually, I can just fly away without this cheat. It's all about play style too :p

But still...I'm not a fan of this "fire hopping"...reminds me way too much of snaking in MK DS. :/
But I think there must be a lesser known cheat: I keep seeing these people get hit with all shorts of things & have no shells, bannas, or mushrooms but never stop moving while doing the "hit spin".
EDIT: Literally just played with a guy who ran into the fire & ball & chain in Bowser's Castle but never stopped moving..

Definitely call Nintendo & tell them about the situation. I have heard of quite a few times where they will send you a disc for free if you explain it just as you did here. Worse case scenario they either tell you you're out of luck or make you pay shipping for the disc. ;)
Is your game registered on CN yet? I've heard that often tips the hat in your favor.

But I think there must be a lesser known cheat: I keep seeing these people get hit with all shorts of things & have no shells, bannas, or mushrooms but never stop moving while doing the "hit spin".
EDIT: Literally just played with a guy who ran into the fire & ball & chain but never stopped moving..
Far as my friends and I can tell, that's just a matter of lag. We ran a few tests (he's playing from out of the country) and there were moments where I hit him on my end, but on his I never did. In those circumstances, on my screen he'd be spinning as though he were hit but wouldn't lose any speed. I think the game's just good about hiding it's lag.

I might call, but I don't know. It's pretty obvious he just Hulk ripped it off the spindle. Broke clean to the outside edge. As much as I'd love to get a new disc, I don't think it will happen. I went and bought a download card from BB. I'm not getting the $12 off that I would have got by buying another disc, but I consider it a good investment.

With that, though, that pushes me farther toward putting all my discs into binders.

Far as my friends and I can tell, that's just a matter of lag. We ran a few tests (he's playing from out of the country) and there were moments where I hit him on my end, but on his I never did. In those circumstances, on my screen he'd be spinning as though he were hit but wouldn't lose any speed. I think the game's just good about hiding it's lag.
You're absolutely right, just played another match & looked to see if the player would spin out ahead & did. Cheat debunked :p good sleuthing skills.

Haha, I spent a few nights racking my brain wondering what I was doing wrong. I wanted to be able to ignore red shells too!
I'd pay all the coins I keep getting to be able to ignore those red shells with some kind of move. XD like back in the day where you could jump & reflect them. I miss that.

CN has been down for me since the game has been released.
You got to refresh a lot. Or go online late at night when the servers aren't busy.

Is it possible for me to sell my free game code to a friend even if they got a free game from getting Mario Kart as well?

bread's done
Back