MLB 08: The Show CAG League 2.0 - Dodgers World Series Champs! Congrats to cdrw123!!

[quote name='Ultimate Matt X']Well Oldboy and I just had a game and there was some comedy gold because of the lag. I couldn't baserun for crap. Though a lot of that is me too. Are the settings for running the same for everyone in the league? I couldn't figure out how to get that one guy to stay on 3rd and the 1st guy to run until your wild pitch helped me not have to worry Oldboy.

I don't have any clue what my catcher was doing during that one play, heh.

You were saying the lag wasn't too bad, but I think that's pretty terrible when I saw balls flying in the air, but never saw the hit. :) Hopefully, I'll win a game some point during the season. It was a good game and entertaining though.[/quote]

Wanted to answer your question. Yes, baserunning is the same for everybody. It seems that baserunning controls are different every year, so I know it's hard to keep up. It screws me up every once in awhile too. But to control an individual runner, you hold the left analog stick in his direction (ie. runner on 1st lead off = LS right + L1. runner on first steal = LS right + L2).

When the ball is in play, if you want to control one runner, press the left stick in his direction, and press the button of the base you want him to run to (ie. go from first to third = LS right + square). It's confusing as all hell, but what are you gonna do? haha...hope this helps.

[quote name='Ultimate Matt X']Well Oldboy and I just had a game and there was some comedy gold because of the lag. I couldn't baserun for crap. Though a lot of that is me too. Are the settings for running the same for everyone in the league? I couldn't figure out how to get that one guy to stay on 3rd and the 1st guy to run until your wild pitch helped me not have to worry Oldboy.

I don't have any clue what my catcher was doing during that one play, heh.

You were saying the lag wasn't too bad, but I think that's pretty terrible when I saw balls flying in the air, but never saw the hit. :) Hopefully, I'll win a game some point during the season. It was a good game and entertaining though.[/quote]

No, the lag was pretty bad especially in the middle innings, but I've played much worse games where it was unbearable. At least in the game with you I could sort of time the pitches if I did the guess pitch right. If not then I was way out in front since the lag is terrible on offspeed pitches. I dont understand the hitting but not seeing the swing, it happened a few times.

For the baserunning, you gotta select the specific runner with the left analog stick. Like for example, on one play I had 1st and third and I pushed right on the stick to select the 1st base runner, and hit steal, so that the third base runner also didn't steal home. So if you have 2 baserunners, you gotta select the one you want by hitting the base they are at, or just crossed. Its sort of complicated, but after playing a lot of franchise games, i got the hang of it. Same thing n8 said, gotta do both at the same time, stick + base button.

n8 ill play exhibition at some point with you for sure...I'm not gonna drop out yet though, I'll play a few more games and see how it is...if the lag is bad at any point I'll message the player and let them know I have to drop, hopefully though it gets better

[quote name='Wpark83']n8 ill play exhibition at some point with you for sure...I'm not gonna drop out yet though, I'll play a few more games and see how it is...if the lag is bad at any point I'll message the player and let them know I have to drop, hopefully though it gets better[/quote]

On a related note, I just finished a random game at 1:30 am (probably started at 12:30 am) EST...no lag. See, they do exist guys! I got freakin shut out 3-0. I swear to God I've never seen so many warning track outs. Oh, if only the Dbacks had a power hitter...

[quote name='n8rockerasu']On a related note, I just finished a random game at 1:30 am (probably started at 12:30 am) EST...no lag. See, they do exist guys! I got freakin shut out 3-0. I swear to God I've never seen so many warning track outs. Oh, if only the Dbacks had a power hitter...[/quote]

Young isn't a power-hitter?

[quote name='DestroVega']Young isn't a power-hitter?[/quote]

Sometimes. I guess if I juggled my lineup and moved him out of the lead off spot, he'd qualify. I mean, you could make an argument for Mark Reynolds as well, but it's nothing like the Yankees, haha.

Good game ivan. Me being half-retarded (not really, but might as well be, haha), I've been practicing with Webb the past few days, and forgot that I wanted to switch him and Haren in my rotation. So therefore, I just screwed myself out of having Haren pitch 3 times in the season. Oh well. I hate sinkerball pitchers (too many chances for errors), but after a shaky start, I finally got used to pitching with Webb. I'll readjust my rotation accordingly.

How was the connection on your end? It was basically lag free for me. I thought it was a well-played game. I think you'll do fine in the league man. Thanks for the game! Good luck next week!

Last edited by a moderator:
No Lag on my end. The game ran well. I just need to tighten up my fielding by not hitting R2 and sharpen my baserunning which I had no clue how to do. If u wanna play before our next game just let me know.

[quote name='Supreme']Unbe-fucking-lievable. I'm speechless right now.[/quote]

hey man, you played a great game, what can you do?

That was so embarrassing. I can't believe a had a no hitter going into the 7th only to end up losing the game. I feel like I just got raped. It was a fun game though. Gotta give you props for coming through.

[quote name='Ultimate Matt X']Oldboy, so you have no idea what my catcher and the ball were doing on that one play either?[/QUOTE]

As it was happening I realized what was going on. It was a foul ball and the ball landed on the "net" or whatever they call what they put in the game. And the game cant go on until its a foul ball, for all the game thinks, the ball was still in the air and therefor in play. But it rolled off eventually and it was called a foul ball. I thought you were just running around trying to make the game go, you weren't controlling the catcher? Well sometimes after a diving play, or attempted wall climb, my players will sometimes continue to do that animation, but never run around like that.

[quote name='ivanctorres']Can someone please give me a class on running the bases! I just lost a game online bc I cant run the bases![/quote]

read the manual or the manual in the game itself

[quote name='ivanctorres']Can someone please give me a class on running the bases! I just lost a game online bc I cant run the bases![/quote]

The most important concept to grasp is to select the runner you want to control using the left analog stick. I don't think I use the controls EXACTLY right because I'm still not used to using the face buttons when the ball is in play. Normally, I select my lead runner, and just jam on L1 until he's started going toward the last base I want him to go to. Usually, this keeps my trail runner (or batter) from continuing too far...but not always. I'm not sure if this is the control scheme from MVP 2005...or MLB 2K7...but it's one that's stuck with me, and it does work in this game.

Technically, I think the way the manual tells you is to select your runner and then press the face button of the base you want them to run to. For example, if you want a runner to go first to third, you press right on the left analog stick and square.

If you have runners on first and second, and your batter hits a single, and you want your guy on second to score, but the man on first to stop at second, you'd press up on the left analog stick and X. But I don't even think you'd have to control the man on first, because he'd move automatically on contact.

See, there are so many instances where guys will run automatically, there are few times when I even worry about controlling both runners. Stealing 2nd with runners at the corners is one situation, but I explained that a few posts back.

Most of the time, I just make sure my lead runner goes where I want him to go, and let the computer control my trail guy. As long as you're not instructing BOTH runners to do something, and therefore, getting one of them thrown out for doing something stupid, you should be fine.

Well my internet troubles should be over now that I finally have a new modem. Talon and I had a good game going into to 4th when my internet dropped me and had to forfeit the game. Anyhow I'm looking forward to next weeks game now that I have a new modem.

All right guys. I flipped a coin for our one unresolved game this week between cdrw123 and PapiChullo. cdrw123, luck was on your side, and you got the win. Let's not let these unresolved games become a habit though. Ok, enough "parenting"...here's the schedule for week two!

Tampa Bay Rays (ICT_EsqGamer) at Cincinatti Reds (Wpark83)
Pitching Matchup: James Shields vs. Edinson Volquez

Boston Red Sox (CaptainBackslap) at Cleveland Indians (TheUMX)
Pitching Matchup: Daisuke Matsuzaka vs. Paul Byrd

Chicago Cubs (cusemanKeith) at Detroit Tigers (FuzionMC)
Pitching Matchup: Rich Harden vs. Kenny Rogers

Los Angeles Angels (talon7) at Los Angeles Dodgers (humanoidtyph0on)
Pitching Matchup: Jered Weaver vs. Chad Billingsley

Philadelphia Phillies (PapiChullo) at New York Mets (MrOldboy)
Pitching Matchup: Jamie Moyer vs. Pedro Martinez

Arizona Diamondbacks (n8rocker82) at New York Yankees (DestroVega)
Pitching Matchup: Danny Haren vs. Andy Pettitte

when do you feel like losing Commish? :cool:

haha just kidding... but, lemme know when you wanna play... I actually can in about 30 mins from now if u wanna?

[quote name='DestroVega']when do you feel like losing Commish? :cool:

haha just kidding... but, lemme know when you wanna play... I actually can in about 30 mins from now if u wanna?[/quote]

Haha, let's do it. I've been waiting to have a go at you. I know you've been playing the game awhile, so I'm curious to find out how good I actually am.

When would you like to play? I'm available most times today (Sunday), Monday, or later on Friday. I'm EST zone.

Keith
cusemanKeith

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Haha, let's do it. I've been waiting to have a go at you. I know you've been playing the game awhile, so I'm curious to find out how good I actually am.[/quote]

just a reminder... see you at 3pm est today

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']question...? What happens if Papichullo no play game again?

And if you do want to play let me know papichullo[/quote]

Send him a PM in case for whatever reason he doesn't check this thread. If he doesn't play his game this week, I'll make an attempt to contact him personally. And if that doesn't work, he'll be dropped from the league, and then we'll get to deal with players having byes just like the first league did.

It's stupid to have to even deal with that though. Unless people are completely bipolar, you think they'd know whether they'd like to play in a league or not. It shouldn't be a difficult question. Hopefully this won't be the case though.

[quote name='DestroVega']just a reminder... see you at 3pm est today[/quote]

I remember. You've got 3 hours until your beating. It's cool, haha j/k :cool:

[quote name='DestroVega']just a reminder... see you at 3pm est today[/quote]

just a reminder...it's now 3:03 pm est...you're late, haha j/k

Last edited by a moderator:
ha 5 minutes late! game takes time to load...

I should have been a day late, I got my ass kicked... you throw a lot of pitches out of the strike zone, I needed to be a lot more patient, plus I made some dumb baserunning errors...

oh not to mention I pitched awful... all around awful game for me, and you played it perfect... hopefully we rematch at some point... good game... no lag at all!

[quote name='DestroVega']ha 5 minutes late! game takes time to load...

I should have been a day late, I got my ass kicked... you throw a lot of pitches out of the strike zone, I needed to be a lot more patient, plus I made some dumb baserunning errors...

oh not to mention I pitched awful... all around awful game for me, and you played it perfect... hopefully we rematch at some point... good game... no lag at all![/quote]

I was just messing with ya man. Good game though! Honestly, it was a bad matchup for you. Because I'm a Yankee fan in real life, so I know your roster up and down. And because of my gaffe last week, using Webb by mistake, you had to face Haren, who I like pitching with the most.

I do find patience to be one of the biggest factors in winning and losing though. And yeah, the lag (or lack of) was beautiful! I'm also glad we got this game in before tomorrow's roster update when you'll get Nady and Marte, haha \\:D/ Definitely hoping for a rematch sometime. I'm not taking anything from this other than you had an off day. I know you've got skills man.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']I was just messing with ya man. Good game though! Honestly, it was a bad matchup for you. Because I'm a Yankee fan in real life, so I know your roster up and down. And because of my gaffe last week, using Webb by mistake, you had to face Haren, who I like pitching with the most.

I do find patience to be one of the biggest factors in winning and losing though. And yeah, the lag (or lack of) was beautiful! I'm also glad we got this game in before tomorrow's roster update when you'll get Nady and Marte, haha \\:D/ Definitely hoping for a rematch sometime. I'm not taking anything from this other than you had an off day. I know you've got skills man.[/quote]

I don't think the Yankees changes will be made until next weeks roster update.. it seems it always takes the 2nd update for moves to be in there...

good game again. Let's hope for a sweep tonight with Aruba's Fattes... I mean, Finest on the mound.

[quote name='DestroVega']good game again. Let's hope for a sweep tonight with Aruba's Fattes... I mean, Finest on the mound.[/quote]

hahaha, QFT man! Who woulda thought...one game, and it's all even. I wonder if TB is worried yet.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']hahaha, QFT man! Who woulda thought...one game, and it's all even. I wonder if TB is worried yet.[/quote]

Tampa is finished... their young starters are soon going to hit their all-time high in innings pitched and will hit the wall.

I'm still in the league. I PM'd cdrw early last week with availability, and told him that I would be out of town starting Thursday evening, and he didn't respond until Friday. I apologize for the missed game, but I wasn't available.

V4oLDbOY, I sent you a PM so we can get this week's game in.

[quote name='PapiChullo']I'm still in the league. I PM'd cdrw early last week with availability, and told him that I would be out of town starting Thursday evening, and he didn't respond until Friday. I apologize for the missed game, but I wasn't available.

V4oLDbOY, I sent you a PM so we can get this week's game in.[/quote]

It's cool man. I know that happens sometimes. I just wanted to make sure you were still with us. And in case you're wondering, I really did flip a coin to decide the outcome of your game. Good luck to you this week. It's still anybody's game!

Oh yeah! Just read about the Dbacks trying to get Teixeira from Atlanta. Looks like they heard my cries for a power hitter, hahaha. Man, I hope this one goes through!

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Oh yeah! Just read about the Dbacks trying to get Teixeira from Atlanta. Looks like they heard my cries for a power hitter, hahaha. Man, I hope this one goes through![/quote]

They want Connor Jackson though, and Arizona isn't going to do that.

[quote name='DestroVega']They want Connor Jackson though, and Arizona isn't going to do that.[/quote]

Give Atlanta another day or two. After this year, they'll lose Teixeira and have nothing to show for it. By the deadline, they'll gladly take Chad Tracy.

Same thing with the Yanks and Jarrod Washburn. Seattle is asking for Melky, but they want to dump payroll, so by Thursday, they'll lower their price. Although with the way Ponson pitched last night, the Yanks interest in Washburn is probably even higher now. I can't see them trading Melky though. Gardner just isn't ready.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Give Atlanta another day or two. After this year, they'll lose Teixeira and have nothing to show for it. By the deadline, they'll gladly take Chad Tracy.

Same thing with the Yanks and Jarrod Washburn. Seattle is asking for Melky, but they want to dump payroll, so by Thursday, they'll lower their price. Although with the way Ponson pitched last night, the Yanks interest in Washburn is probably even higher now. I can't see them trading Melky though. Gardner just isn't ready.[/quote]

Seattle wants NY to pay his contract... for that, they get nothing.

[quote name='Supreme']Hey UMX, let me know when you wanna play.[/QUOTE]

Tonight might be a little rough unless you're up pretty late, but I should be around any evening this week other than that.

Wpark- I should be available Wed nite @ 7pst but that could always be subject to change. Like I told N8 our league commish just e-mail me @ [email protected] I will get back to right away bc I get the e-mail on my blackberry and that thing is basically always within arm's reach plus...I have two(one from work and one for personal use) so one has to work and/or have some battery. :)

Really hoping my baserunning improves and that the Rays make a trade for a hitter...why not texiera?

Played a great game against melokeith which ended in 2-1. I robbed a homerun which ended up saving my ass along with some errant base running on keith's part. Good game none the less and will probably be a good rematch when we meet again.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Oh yeah! Just read about the Dbacks trying to get Teixeira from Atlanta. Looks like they heard my cries for a power hitter, hahaha. Man, I hope this one goes through![/quote]

Mother fucking Angels man!!! I swear, if there is one team I hate as much (if not possibly more than Boston), it's the Angels. They somehow manage to find a way to screw both my real life team...and my CAG League team! They just bought another World Series title.

In other breaking news, the artist formerly known as Pudge just got traded to the Yankees for Kyle Farnsworth. Interesting move...not sure how much it really changes either team. Farnsworth sucks and Pudge is old. I thought Molina was doing fine...

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Mother fucking Angels man!!! I swear, if there is one team I hate as much (if not possibly more than Boston), it's the Angels. They somehow manage to find a way to screw both my real life team...and my CAG League team! They just bought another World Series title.

In other breaking news, the artist formerly known as Pudge just got traded to the Yankees for Kyle Farnsworth. Interesting move...not sure how much it really changes either team. Farnsworth sucks and Pudge is old. I thought Molina was doing fine...[/quote]

molina can't hit a lick... Pudge is hitting .295 and throws out 36% of runners...

it's a good move for them.

bread's done
Back