MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) Thread: UFC/Strikeforce

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Viol8tor']Is Joe Silva just throwing darts at a board here? At this rate, we are gonna have someone fighting a Brown Bear for a title, Tekken statues![/QUOTE]

LOL!!! I think it comes down to having too many cards to keep them interesting, if they had a PPV every 5 or 6 weeks instead of three weeks the cards would be more stacked and would interest fans more. The way it is now you get one great fight and then whatever they can do to fill up the rest.

I prefer the UFC to have, at least, two cards a month. Three is better. Four to five is money.

The problem is the number of injuries in 2012. Sorta longing for a complete assimilation of Strikeforce. Rousey, Melendez, Rockhold, Souza could have made the replacement cards a bit better. And it's only a matter of time before Rousey fights in the UFC. That will probably be one of the better draws of that year. She already draws well for the limitations of Showtime. Put her on PPV or FOX and she'll diamond sales.

I think we'll see Rousey have a fight in the UFC between now and within 3 years.Not sure about an actual women's division but if the fight is big enough I think we'll see it or when Strikeforce is dead.Dana seems really into her from wearing her face on a t-shirt at the weight in's and being all flirty to walking the red carpet with her.Rousey vs. Cyborg seems like the fight to do it.Supposedly her last fight was the most viewed Strikeforce card I thought I heard around 571k and it felt fairly weak but then again all Strikeforce cards do since Zuffa took over just about.

Apparently Chael is in camp training because he still thinks he will be a replacement at 152. :lol:

Chael Sonnen Prepared to Fight Jon Jones at UFC 152
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1334938-chael-sonnen-prepared-to-fight-jon-jones-at-ufc-152

""Chael Sonnen is in full training camp right now," White said. "He's been training since he got offered the Jones fight. [Chael] said, 'I'm in full camp right now because Vitor will get hurt and pull out, and it will be Jones vs. Sonnen anyway."

Either you love him or you love hating me. This guys hilarious. :applause:

Also it sounds like there trying to put together a match for Dan Hendo and Machida. Now that fight makes sense, hope its added to the end of the year 155 card.

[quote name='Viol8tor']Apparently Chael is in camp training because he still thinks he will be a replacement at 152. :lol:

Chael Sonnen Prepared to Fight Jon Jones at UFC 152
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1334938-chael-sonnen-prepared-to-fight-jon-jones-at-ufc-152

""Chael Sonnen is in full training camp right now," White said. "He's been training since he got offered the Jones fight. [Chael] said, 'I'm in full camp right now because Vitor will get hurt and pull out, and it will be Jones vs. Sonnen anyway."

Either you love him or you love hating me. This guys hilarious. :applause:

Also it sounds like there trying to put together a match for Dan Hendo and Machida. Now that fight makes sense, hope its added to the end of the year 155 card.[/QUOTE]

I read something about Belfort and am now starting to think that is perhaps Zuffa's real plan. But then again, they would want to hype Sonnen-Jones. Sonnen alone would drive sales through the roof—again.

I have made so much money off Legacy FC's dollar-store MMA that I am salivating over the return of the UFC. Seems like they will run only two cards per month going into 2013, but that's good enough. Strikeforce, Legacy, Bellator, and other dollar-store MMA promotions will fill the gaps. I genuinely love MMA—and it's a plus that it's the easiest way to add to my profits.

Sonnen could be onto something with Vitor being injured and pulling out, but while I think a pullout due to injury is unlikely, I still think the rumors about Vitor being hurt could be true. I liked Jones a ton in the first place but there are a lot of things not working in Vitor's favor for this fight.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Sonnen could be onto something with Vitor being injured and pulling out, but while I think a pullout due to injury is unlikely, I still think the rumors about Vitor being hurt could be true. I liked Jones a ton in the first place but there are a lot of things not working in Vitor's favor for this fight.[/QUOTE]

Well, regardless of his injury, Zuffa should be filling Vitor with enough PEDs to survive a minute or two and maybe a round. After R1, though, Jones will put him to sleep. Sorta hoping Jones grabs a mic and says, "Is that the best you got, Lorenzo?"

[quote name='Chase'] Sorta hoping Jones grabs a mic and says, "Is that the best you got, Lorenzo?"[/QUOTE]

That would be so Gangster, lol. And Chael is in the audience with a mohawk and gold chains.

T-Minus 4 days until fight night. I hope Vitor is in a bubble right now until weigh-ins.

[quote name='Viol8tor']That would be so Gangster, lol. And Chael is in the audience with a mohawk and gold chains.

T-Minus 4 days until fight night. I hope Vitor is in a bubble right now until weigh-ins.[/QUOTE]

I am very happy for the return of high-level MMA.

Now, regarding Bonnar-Silva. I have seen people mention the dubious nature of the Machida stoppage against Bonnar. I'll have to pay that fight another visit. People postulate a Zuffa fix. Interesting.

So . . . Mir has withdrawn from the Cormier fight due to injury. Most likely: Mir made a decision that he wants to live to see 2013 and threw his toe into a file cabinet. Some year, huh guys? Any more injuries and Zuffa may actually snag Sylvia before he jobs out to Arlovski in their depressing fifth rematch for ONE FC.

Those with the beta dashboard for xbox it looks like you can get the jon jones fight free. I clicked it and it tried downloading the UFC app but I stopped it.

[quote name='GUNNM']Those with the beta dashboard for xbox it looks like you can get the jon jones fight free. I clicked it and it tried downloading the UFC app but I stopped it.[/QUOTE]

Are you sure that's right? I see where it says "Free Fight" on the dash, but it's an old Jones fight (vs Machida). There's also an old Belfort fight that you can watch for free as well (vs Akiyama). Saturday's PPV definitely isn't showing up for free though.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Are you sure that's right? I see where it says "Free Fight" on the dash, but it's an old Jones fight (vs Machida). There's also an old Belfort fight that you can watch for free as well (vs Akiyama). Saturday's PPV definitely isn't showing up for free though.[/QUOTE]
Ah sorry I assumed it would be the free UFC event this saturday like I said I stopped the app because I didn't want to dl it but I saw Jones' picture and assumed it the event

[quote name='Chase']I am very happy for the return of high-level MMA.

Now, regarding Bonnar-Silva. I have seen people mention the dubious nature of the Machida stoppage against Bonnar. I'll have to pay that fight another visit. People postulate a Zuffa fix. Interesting.

So . . . Mir has withdrawn from the Cormier fight due to injury. Most likely: Mir made a decision that he wants to live to see 2013 and threw his toe into a file cabinet. Some year, huh guys? Any more injuries and Zuffa may actually snag Sylvia before he jobs out to Arlovski in their depressing fifth rematch for ONE FC.[/QUOTE]

Who's to say Mir is ducking Cormier? When he has ever been afraid to go in with some sick submissions and usually get KO'd? He doesn't duck people IMO, just got injured and is taking advantage of that insurance like 99% of the rest of the UFC already has.

I don't think Mir withdrew thanks to ducking Cormier or anything,seems like just another unfortunate injury.If the fight had taken place I do agree with the notion that Cormier would've lit him up.Werdum seems to be up for the fight,could be a really tough battle there with the improvements Werdum has made in his striking these past few years.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Who's to say Mir is ducking Cormier? When he has ever been afraid to go in with some sick submissions and usually get KO'd? He doesn't duck people IMO, just got injured and is taking advantage of that insurance like 99% of the rest of the UFC already has.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, seriously. Mir, of all people, ducking someone? Has he not proven by this point that he's not afraid to take a beating? Do people not remember his fights against Brock/Carwin/Junior? He gets his face smashed on a fairly regular basis...and he just keeps coming back for more. The guy is a lot of things, but scared sure as hell isn't one of them. I'd argue he has bigger balls than a lot of fighters out there.

Really hope this helps people get over their unwarranted hate for Jones (I doubt it). Vitor put up a better fight that Shogun, Machida, or Rashad, and Jones still persevered and got the job done. The guy has to be a machine to shrug off an armbar like that and then throw strikes with that same arm.

Then when Jones got a sub attempt of his own, he practically ripped Vitor's arm off. If someone was going to beat Jones, I honestly would have liked it to be Vitor, because I've always liked him, and he always seems like a nice guy. But Jones was nothing but gracious after the fight, even acknowledging that he's got things he needs to work on. I really don't know what else people could want from the guy.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Really hope this helps people get over their unwarranted hate for Jones . . . [/QUOTE]

If only, sir. I do not understand—nor do I care to understand—the hate for Jon Jones. As a fighter, he is tenacious, resilient, aggressive, finishes fights, and shows a high level of skill. I put him above Anderson Silva as the best fighter on Earth. Jones would absolutely crush Silva—which is why Silva refuses to fight him.

I had to laugh when Dana White made an attempt to evade the question comparing Tito Ortiz to Jon Jones. There is no doubt in my head that Jon Jones far surpasses Tito Ortiz (and Chuck Liddell) as the greatest light heavyweight in UFC history.

A big "fuck you" to the Canadian crowd for booing Demetrious Johnson and Joseph Benavidez. Mighty Mouse put on a showcase of incredible technique and skill. Very reminiscent of Dominick Cruz. I hope John Dodson wins his fight as Dodson-Johnson would be incredible to watch.

I went 14-1 for bets.

My girlfriend has had a desire to visit France, and, considering how we haven't been on vacation since Oahu in July, I think we're due. (Probably the only reason she encourages my chalkland adventures is because I win—a lot of money on a regular basis.)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Chase']If only, sir. I do not understand—nor do I care to understand—the hate for Jon Jones. As a fighter, he is tenacious, resilient, aggressive, finishes fights, and shows a high level of skill. I put him above Anderson Silva as the best fighter on Earth. [/QUOTE]

Anybody who actually questions jones as a fighter is a moron, no way around it. Jones is, in my opinion the best fighter the sport has seen, and I dont think its particularly close. As a guy, I dont like him at all, its his personality. But really, hes a magnificent fighter. I cant imagine what seeing the type of fighter that surpasses him would look like.

Yeah as a bit of a person who can see the hate for Jones and do myself at times it doesn't really have anything to do with him as a fighter.Hes the best fighter out there right now I'd say but its like Paz said, its his personality, he feels fake and is acting a certain way more so then others "trying" to put on a fake persona to what sponsors and fans would like and came across as what people would say a good person is(Not that he isn't a good person).Plenty of examples in the past to point this out like his interview with Ariel where he said he didn't watch Dana's press conference about the 151 cancellation and then moments later he corrects Ariel saying how if Ariel watched it then he would know Dana didn't say what Ariel had just questioned him about.Probably one of the better ones is how he talked about wanting to keep it clean and never make the UFC look bad and how you'll never have to worry about him doing anything crazy like DWI,fastforward 1 month later the headlines are Jon Jones DWI. In as little as 1 month!

Vitor did a lot better then I thought he was going do it.It was a big holy shit moment when he locked in that armbar and looked as if he was about to tap out Jones.Apparently Vitor had a broken hand going into the fight as well but still went through with it anyway.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Really hope this helps people get over their unwarranted hate for Jones (I doubt it). Vitor put up a better fight that Shogun, Machida, or Rashad, and Jones still persevered and got the job done. The guy has to be a machine to shrug off an armbar like that and then throw strikes with that same arm.

Then when Jones got a sub attempt of his own, he practically ripped Vitor's arm off. If someone was going to beat Jones, I honestly would have liked it to be Vitor, because I've always liked him, and he always seems like a nice guy. But Jones was nothing but gracious after the fight, even acknowledging that he's got things he needs to work on. I really don't know what else people could want from the guy.[/QUOTE]

Uh, no.

Jones is a good fighter. No disputing that. However, he's a douchebag and probably will always be one.

Goldy saying Jon Jones can be a role model for some kids is hilarious.

jon-bones-jones-mugshot.jpg

"I’m glad the UFC wanted to work with me, as well. I think they trust that I will never make them look bad. You never have to worry about me getting a DWI or doing something crazy. I think I’m a good company guy."

[quote name='Magiblaze']its his personality, he feels fake and is acting a certain way more so then others "trying" to put on a fake persona to what sponsors and fans would like and came across as what people would say a good person is(Not that he isn't a good person).Plenty of examples in the past to point this out like his interview with Ariel where he said he didn't watch Dana's press conference about the 151 cancellation and then moments later he corrects Ariel saying how if Ariel watched it then he would know Dana didn't say what Ariel had just questioned him about.Probably one of the better ones is how he talked about wanting to keep it clean and never make the UFC look bad and how you'll never have to worry about him doing anything crazy like DWI,fastforward 1 month later the headlines are Jon Jones DWI. In as little as 1 month![/QUOTE]

"Feeling fake"? Come on, dude. How do you measure that? Maybe he tries to give the right responses, but how is that being fake? That's what most celebrities do. Why? Because they get bombarded with stupid questions and face a media shitstorm when they don't. A great example is the insanity over UFC 151. After dealing with that crap, if I were Jones, I'd just tell people what they want to hear and get on with my life too. It's not being fake. It's trying to keep keep stupid shit out of your life.

As for the DWI, he was 24 years old. He's not allowed to make a mistake? Honestly, I feel like most of the hate he gets is because he's been so successful. Whether it's jealousy or whatever, people just like to see someone at the top fall. It just surprised me how suddenly it happened (almost like a heel turn in pro wrestling...you'd think the guy ran out from the back and hit somebody with a chair or something). I just don't buy people's reasons for disliking him so much. They seem extremely weak and it comes off as bitterness.

[quote name='Calipso']However, he's a douchebag and probably will always be one.

Goldy saying Jon Jones can be a role model for some kids is hilarious.

"I’m glad the UFC wanted to work with me, as well. I think they trust that I will never make them look bad. You never have to worry about me getting a DWI or doing something crazy. I think I’m a good company guy."[/QUOTE]

Again, based on what? Is the DWI the only "evidence" anybody has? That's just crazy. It's a mistake. People have fucked up far worse than that. Champions get busted for PED use, Rampage pulled a hit and run, causing a woman to lose her unborn baby. Jones got arrested for something a good number of college kids get busted for. If it happens multiple times, then yeah...you could argue he's a dick and has no regard for other people's lives. But at least give the guy a chance to learn from his mistakes. People act like he's Lindsay Lohan or something.

Calipso, everyone makes mistakes. Certainly doesn't make them an unforgivable "douchebag," or whatever.

[quote name='Magiblaze']. . . but its like Paz said, its his personality, he feels fake and is acting a certain way . . . [/QUOTE]

I can see how people would feel that way. However, I think he's genuine.

[quote name='tylerh1701']Exactly.

And congrats on your betting success.[/QUOTE]

I can see why people dislike Dominick Cruz, but I'm a big fan. He has a ton of talent. And it's not like he's Rob Broughton, Matt Hamill, or some other tedious fighter.

And thanks. I was still in shock for most of the day. UFC 152 is the first night where I made five figures in one night.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']"Feeling fake"? Come on, dude. How do you measure that? Maybe he tries to give the right responses, but how is that being fake? That's what most celebrities do. Why? Because they get bombarded with stupid questions and face a media shitstorm when they don't. A great example is the insanity over UFC 151. After dealing with that crap, if I were Jones, I'd just tell people what they want to hear and get on with my life too. It's not being fake. It's trying to keep keep stupid shit out of your life.

As for the DWI, he was 24 years old. He's not allowed to make a mistake? Honestly, I feel like most of the hate he gets is because he's been so successful. Whether it's jealousy or whatever, people just like to see someone at the top fall. It just surprised me how suddenly it happened (almost like a heel turn in pro wrestling...you'd think the guy ran out from the back and hit somebody with a chair or something). I just don't buy people's reasons for disliking him so much. They seem extremely weak and it comes off as bitterness.

Again, based on what? Is the DWI the only "evidence" anybody has? That's just crazy. It's a mistake. People have fucked up far worse than that. Champions get busted for PED use, Rampage pulled a hit and run, causing a woman to lose her unborn baby. Jones got arrested for something a good number of college kids get busted for. If it happens multiple times, then yeah...you could argue he's a dick and has no regard for other people's lives. But at least give the guy a chance to learn from his mistakes. People act like he's Lindsay Lohan or something.[/QUOTE]

People are entitled to their perceptions, its not math. Sometimes some people just come off wrong.
The dwi comment is a good example, hes trying to portray himself as something hes not. I dont consider it a big deal, from my perspective, I dont like him i dont like or want to listen to anything he has to say really, but hes awesome to watch fight.

I can see how someone might just dislike him based on him wiping the mat with their favorite fighter (the lyoto choke and drop got me) but it is what it is.

Dude is otherworldly when it comes to fisticuffs

As for cruz, sort of the same deal, id like to see him finish fights, but i cant understand why he gets some of the hate, I find him to be extremely exciting, his style is great.

I don't know the guy personally so can't say for sure but Jones definitely feels fake to me.One example is what I mentioned before about getting caught in that lie during his interview with Ariel about the press conference about UFC 151 was canceled about how he said he didn't watch it, then later himself calling Ariel out saying if you watch it then Dana didn't specifically say what Ariel had just said.All in the same interview.Theres also the whole DWI in less then a month.Calling Sonnen a coward and then the next week Jones refuses to fight him a week later.Talking about how when he turns down a fight its time to retire and saying how if the UFC ask him of anything he'll do it and never tell them no for anything.I'm just saying he feels fake to me,its not just fans though, even some fellow noteable fighters have questioned him being fake or genuine.Greg Jackson having to tell him to "go check on Lyoto and go get some fans" to help build his image doesn't help either.

You kinda answered it already on the fakeness when saying "Maybe he tries to give the right responses",well saying it and doing it are different things.He'll probably go down as the GOAT that the sport has ever seen so far,doesn't mean he can't seem "fake".

I don't know. I just disagree completely. I still think he seems genuine and actually recognizes how fortunate he is to be in the position he's in. He doesn't make a mockery of the sport. He performs at a top level. And he's always respectful to his opponents. I just don't see it. Nick Diaz is "real", but he's a total asshole, openly disrespects his opponents, and blows off company events left and right. What good does that do anybody? lol.

The entire Chael thing is beyond stupid. I'm a Chael fan and I just thought it was dumb. The argument was basically "It would have been an easy fight. He was afraid of an out of shape 185'er." If there's no expectation of Chael winning, then what does it matter who they feed to Jones? Put some amateur in there and market it as some kind of "Rocky" story. It's all just a bunch of crap. The people who ate it up were the ones who disliked Jones already...and that includes media. It seems incredibly trite, but at the end of the day, it basically feels like "haters gonna hate".

Jones to me is a very subtle asshole(or not so subtle depending on how you look at it) I don't care about any of that...it doesn't matter what you think of the guy...hes professional for the most part(minus the drunk driving) and he happens to be the best fighter in the world. I don't care for his personality but I don't have any tremendous hatred for the guy or anything and I love watching him fight. My brother, who loathes Jones, even defended him when he didn't take the Chael fight.

Saying Johnson tried to fight like Dominick Cruz isn't a complement. He ran like a track star all night and threw half the punches and shot for half (if that) as many takedowns. He is a better technical striker, but he isn't quite the wrestler and he just isn't active at all. Johnson goes minutes literally RUNNING from his opponents without even throwing so much as a jab. I would watch Dominick Cruz's entire career before I want to see Johnson fighting like that again.

That being said, he's going to be nearly unstoppable at FW. Benavidez will always have the best shot at beating him but under most circumstances he will always need a KO because guys like Cruz and Black Cruz seem to be his downfall on the scorecards.

Anybody catching these commercials for the MMA comedy movie with the guy from King of Queens? I see Bas in the promo but I doubt there's going to be enough Bas in this flick.

[quote name='ced']Anybody catching these commercials for the MMA comedy movie with the guy from King of Queens? I see Bas in the promo but I doubt there's going to be enough Bas in this flick.[/QUOTE]

Well, Bas is listed as having an actual character, but how much he's in it, I don't know. There should be a lot of cameos in that movie though. Kevin James has been attending UFC events since the 90s and is good friends with Joe Rogan (who is also in the movie).

Not a fan of MMA in movies,just feels like a cheap cash grab doing it because its "Cool".Warrior I think is the only one that came across was a decent and actual good movie thanks to actually having a thing called a story in there along with great actors to pull it off.Random trivia fact, the guy who directed it was the same one who did Mark Kerr "The Smashing Machine" HBO special so gotta think hes a real mma fan.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']"Feeling fake"? Come on, dude. How do you measure that? Maybe he tries to give the right responses, but how is that being fake? That's what most celebrities do. Why? Because they get bombarded with stupid questions and face a media shitstorm when they don't. A great example is the insanity over UFC 151. After dealing with that crap, if I were Jones, I'd just tell people what they want to hear and get on with my life too. It's not being fake. It's trying to keep keep stupid shit out of your life.

Again, based on what? Is the DWI the only "evidence" anybody has? That's just crazy. It's a mistake. People have fucked up far worse than that. Champions get busted for PED use, Rampage pulled a hit and run, causing a woman to lose her unborn baby. Jones got arrested for something a good number of college kids get busted for. If it happens multiple times, then yeah...you could argue he's a dick and has no regard for other people's lives. But at least give the guy a chance to learn from his mistakes. People act like he's Lindsay Lohan or something.[/QUOTE]

As much as I think Dana White can be a tool and a bad figurehead of the UFC (some of his tweets are unprofessional) I honestly think he did inform Jones that UFC 151 would be canceled if he didn't fight. Jones probably didn't care and what you get is the first canceled card in UFC history.

You can jock his nuts all you want, but he's still a d-bag. Being the best LHW possibly ever.....won't change that. I like Tito Ortiz, but we all know he's a tool sometimes during interviews or when he has hissy fits. Jones is like Tito Ortiz x100. His character sucks, his attitude and arrogance sucks.

I dislike Anderson Silva. Never liked him and never will. I respect him though. He's a true champion. I will always root against Silva, except if he faced Jon Jones. I would become the biggest mark for Silva if he took on Jones. That should tell you something.

The hate against Jones is mostly unwarranted. I feel like my hate for Jones is pure. He is what is wrong with MMA today. Not his skills, but his character.

Edit: I just noticed you calling Nick Diaz an asshole. Jones isn't? The guy is faker than anything in hollywood right now. The Diaz brothers may be assholes but they are more real as people than Jones will ever be.

[quote name='ced']Anybody catching these commercials for the MMA comedy movie with the guy from King of Queens? I see Bas in the promo but I doubt there's going to be enough Bas in this flick.[/QUOTE]

According to Bas's facebook he is pretty main character in the movie. Mayhem Miller & Krzysztof Soszyński are both in it as well. I'll watch it since it looks to be the least terrible movie put out to the theaters this year.

Another fun quote from Chael's twitter.

"Hey Jon, What do you think will cost more? Your hospital tab or the settlement you made with the two broads from the backseat? "

For those if you who don't get it.Its referencing Jon's DWI where he had two 25 years old women in his Bentley and they were with him when he wrecked it.Just as an FYI,Jon Jones is married and hes never publicly said why he had two women in the back of his car with him while drunk.

[quote name='Magiblaze']Another fun quote from Chael's twitter.

"Hey Jon, What do you think will cost more? Your hospital tab or the settlement you made with the two broads from the backseat? "

For those if you who don't get it.Its referencing Jon's DWI where he had two 25 years old women in his Bentley and they were with him when he wrecked it.Just as an FYI,Jon Jones is married and hes never publicly said why he had two women in the back of his car with him while drunk.[/QUOTE]

Hehehe... Sonnen is working his way into a fight with Jones. Gotta say: Sonnen-Jones would make a lot of money. Analyzing the fight, Jones is a nightmare for Sonnen's style. Even if Sonnen manages to score takedowns on Jones, Jones on bottom is still a massive threat. His reach allows for some truly vicious elbows. Jones may not have been a jiujitsu threat going into the Belfort fight, but six to eight months from now, after his healing process, he'll have so much improvement in every area.

In my mind, I see Sonnen shooting and pushing Jones to the fence. Jones avoids the takedown while working elbows in the clinch. Either Jones escapes off the fence, trips Sonnen, or Sonnen attempts to reset. Sonnen's only chance is, while in the clinch, to catch Jones with the hardest, most precise punch in the history of strikes. A Fedor-like shovel punch, then secure an arm triangle, or pray that he finishes Jones with strikes if he can't straight-up knockout Jones.

Let's just say: Condit has a better shot at beating St-Pierre than Sonnen does Jones.

[quote name='Calipso']I honestly think he did inform Jones that UFC 151 would be canceled if he didn't fight. Jones probably didn't care and what you get is the first canceled card in UFC history.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Calipso']You can jock his nuts all you want, but he's still a d-bag. Being the best LHW possibly ever.....won't change that. I like Tito Ortiz, but we all know he's a tool sometimes during interviews or when he has hissy fits. Jones is like Tito Ortiz x100. His character sucks, his attitude and arrogance sucks.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Calipso']The hate against Jones is mostly unwarranted. I feel like my hate for Jones is pure. He is what is wrong with MMA today. Not his skills, but his character.[/QUOTE]

Again, all I'm seeing are completely baseless accusations. Just end it with "I don't like him." because that's all I can really take from it. This ridiculous notion that he's actually a douchebag because he's nice in his interviews, is appreciative of his opponents, thanks God, and smiles is the dumbest argument I've ever heard. How about we judge people by what they actually do. Not some conspiracy theory of how they "really are". But like I said, if you just want to state "I don't like him", that's well within your rights.

[quote name='Calipso'] Edit: I just noticed you calling Nick Diaz an asshole. Jones isn't? The guy is faker than anything in hollywood right now. The Diaz brothers may be assholes but they are more real as people than Jones will ever be.[/QUOTE]

I'm telling you dude. I don't even know what this statement means (nor do I think do you). The Diaz brothers are "more real as people". What the hell does that mean? lol. Lets see, between the two of them, they've disrespected countless opponents, to the point of getting physical before the fight. They've blown off UFC and charity events. They've clowned and taunted opponents in the cage. They've hit opponents after the bell. Oh, and lets not forget that little melee they gladly jumped into to soccer kick Mayhem Miller in Strikeforce. But yeah...Jon Jones is "what is wrong with MMA today". What a reasonable and well thought out argument you have there.

Forgot to mention, yesterday, that Zuffa gave the axe to this Saturday's Strikeforce card because Melendez withdrew due to injury. Thomson made an offer to fight Healy for an interim title, to save the show, but Coker didn't like the idea. Somewhat disappointing as the prop "Melendez by TKO/KO" was near even money.

From what I heard Showtime canceled it as without Gilbert they didn't feel the already really weak card would draw any viewers.It was a pretty sad pathetic card.

Thoughts on using jabbing like legkicks to your opponent's kneecap like Jones did?I know some people feel its a dirty move and should almost be considered for banning like the CSAC did.Rampage recently spoke out against it saying it doesn't even have honor and can mess people up for life kicking their kneecap like that.

[quote name='Magiblaze']Thoughts on using jabbing like legkicks to your opponent's kneecap like Jones did?I know some people feel its a dirty move and should almost be considered for banning like the CSAC did.Rampage recently spoke out against it saying it doesn't even have honor and can mess people up for life kicking their kneecap like that.[/QUOTE]

Well, Quinton Jackson is just a big complainer. He is a fighter. There are risks.

I'm all for teeps to the leg. I love it. I don't support Rogan's desire to see headbutts in MMA. But, I'm all about leg teeps, knees to down opponents, and all sorts of elbows. It's fuckin' fighting, not hotdog eating.

And, apparently, Zuffa will pay all fighters from the now-dead September 29th Strikeforce card. Sorta wonder why they couldn't do the same with the UFC 151 card. Weird.

Rogan supports headbutts? Intriguing.

For such a fight enthusiast as he is, that strikes me as an odd stance. The permanent damage potential is very high for both striker and defender. The level of fighting would take a nosedive, since the options to defend against a headbutt from situations like the clinch are far fewer than other strikes. I wouldn't even want to consider the Hell on Earth attempting to defend from the bottom would become with headbutts in the mix. Plus the last thing the sport needs is to be blasted back to the dark ages since no athletic commission would dare sanction legal headbutts.

He made a mention during the 152 broadcast. And, while CAG is my only forum, here's the Sherdog thread to, uh, "validate" what he said.

I absolutely agree, Ced. When John McCarthy and Co. came up with the unified rules, they made a removal of various things for good reason. As you said, headbutts went to help turn MMA into a legit sport, as did groin strikes, and eye gouges. The difference in MMA from the 1990s to now is incredible. It's a sport where even kids can partake. Of course, under amateur rules (no elbows, head gear, no slams, no leg locks, etc.).

While I understand why the 12-to-6 elbow strikes rule exists, which is to make landing a brutal strike a bit more difficult, it's still a ridiculous rule. Either ban elbows altogether or allow them in their total nature. Hamill holding a DQ win over Jones is ludicrous.

Knees to down opponents also needs an addition. Some say it favors grapplers. Some say it favors strikers. Totally depends on the scenario. All I know is that it removes the "one hand on the ground" rule that everyone exploits.

I hate the no knees to the head on the ground and even more so when someone puts a hand on the ground...that really needs to be changed.

LOL@Rampage complaining about something...all this guy does lately is whine, whine whine...plus this coming from a guy who has picked people up and literally spiked them on there head. Bader could have easily suffered a broken neck or worse when 'Page slammed him.

Random bits of MMA stats

Matt Hamill made a record in his fight last Saturday.Even though it was a boring fight he now holds the record for most significant strikes at Light Heavyweight at 124.

Stefan Struve has a 0% takedown defense in his UFC career.I never thought of it but didn't know it was quite non existent so far in the UFC.Good thing I suppose his jit jutsu helps makes up for it.

Leg teeps, knees, stomps, bows...I'm for all of them. I don't want this sport to get so far from a streetfight (like boxing) that champs of the sport no longer are actually great fighters but rather athletes and rules masters.

I just saw that UFC on Fuel 5 starts at 1 p.m. (PST). I've yet to do any research as my preference is to do research day-of. Needless to say, I'll have to start a bit early. Girlfriend is sick, so I'll be between helping her and attempting some late-night research.

Saw some good lines. I hope things fall into place for another five-figure payday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back