MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) Thread: UFC/Strikeforce

Status
Not open for further replies.
"I want to serve the UFC and recapture the belt. I always respect my opponent. For those reasons, I must prepare myself in the manner I believe in." - Lyoto Machida

Jon Jones turns down a match with a week to prep, catches shit. Machida turns down a match with a month to prep, get a title fight with home turf advantage and 4 additional weeks to train. Huh...

I think it comes from resentment Jon Jones is p4p one of the best fighters in the sport and is unwilling to out an out of fighting shape middleweight to save the card in what should be an easy match.Everyone knows Jones would have won, as to where Machida he hasnt been training at for the bout at all either and Jones has already been in training and in shape so its much easier for him in both fights to make a quick turn around.Depending on when you fly out which a lot tend to do a week before the fight kinda only leaves Machida with about 3 weeks for the fight if he had taken it which isnt really enough time to peak.

Just seems a bit silly to some that possibly the best P4P fighter in the world and reigning light heavyweight champion wouldn't take a fight against an out of fighting shape middleweight moving up to 205 because he doesnt feel prepared.

I dont see machida and jones turning down fights as the same. one dude has been training and scheduled on the card, the other had not. i mean, chael is a beast for wanting the fight in a week, thats the exception and he deserves respect for it. I dont really fault machida or shogun for turning it down.

sounds like i share this opinion with magicblaze.

You guys really are crazy with the conspiracy shit, are you just rantign or do you roll around thinking this is how shit works?

anyway, this has been a super wild chain of events, entertaining for sure.

[quote name='Magiblaze']I think it comes from resentment Jon Jones is p4p one of the best fighters in the sport and is unwilling to out an out of fighting shape middleweight to save the card in what should be an easy match.Everyone knows Jones would have won, as to where Machida he hasnt been training at for the bout at all either and Jones has already been in training and in shape so its much easier for him in both fights to make a quick turn around.Depending on when you fly out which a lot tend to do a week before the fight kinda only leaves Machida with about 3 weeks for the fight if he had taken it which isnt really enough time to peak.

Just seems a bit silly to some that possibly the best P4P fighter in the world and reigning light heavyweight champion wouldn't take a fight against an out of fighting shape middleweight moving up to 205 because he doesnt feel prepared.[/QUOTE]

He isn't a fan favorite and he clearly isn't as confident or noble for that matter as people originally thought (back before his DWI and the Evans fight). He knew the card was only alive for him to be on there, but wanted no part of a chunky Sonnen who would be making his debut at LHW (I believe) and couldn't outstrike Jones.

Looks really bad for Jones to turn down the fight, but of course everything about him has been looking really bad lately.

[quote name='Magiblaze']I think it comes from resentment Jon Jones is p4p one of the best fighters in the sport and is unwilling to out an out of fighting shape middleweight to save the card in what should be an easy match.Everyone knows Jones would have won, as to where Machida he hasnt been training at for the bout at all either and Jones has already been in training and in shape so its much easier for him in both fights to make a quick turn around.Depending on when you fly out which a lot tend to do a week before the fight kinda only leaves Machida with about 3 weeks for the fight if he had taken it which isnt really enough time to peak.

Just seems a bit silly to some that possibly the best P4P fighter in the world and reigning light heavyweight champion wouldn't take a fight against an out of fighting shape middleweight moving up to 205 because he doesnt feel prepared.[/QUOTE]

See, this is my problem with this whole thing. If EVERYBODY was expecting Jones to destroy him anyway, why even bother trying to give Jones a competent replacement? Why not just feed him some can that he can crack open and give the fans a cheap thrill? Give him Kyle Kingsbury or Keith Jardine or somebody who is just going to try to knock him out and fail miserably. No matter what, Sonnen is still one of the best wrestlers in MMA...and he fought pretty damn recently (the "out of shape" thing is a little exaggerated...yes, he probably hasn't been training hard, but I doubt he let himself go to hell either). If nobody thought Sonnen had a prayer anyway, then what does it matter who he fights?

"He keeps winning because he has the reach of a Giraffe" lol.Been a while since I've seen one of those from Downfall.Liked the Fedor one best with Barnett failing the drug test.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']See, this is my problem with this whole thing. If EVERYBODY was expecting Jones to destroy him anyway, why even bother trying to give Jones a competent replacement? Why not just feed him some can that he can crack open and give the fans a cheap thrill? Give him Kyle Kingsbury or Keith Jardine or somebody who is just going to try to knock him out and fail miserably. No matter what, Sonnen is still one of the best wrestlers in MMA...and he fought pretty damn recently (the "out of shape" thing is a little exaggerated...yes, he probably hasn't been training hard, but I doubt he let himself go to hell either). If nobody thought Sonnen had a prayer anyway, then what does it matter who he fights?[/QUOTE]
People expect Jon Jones to destroy everyone anyway but it still doesn't change the fact people are interested in seeing it unfold and against Sonnen it would have been at least against a big name to draw interest.

[quote name='Magiblaze']People expect Jon Jones to destroy everyone anyway but it still doesn't change the fact people are interested in seeing it unfold and against Sonnen it would have been at least against a big name to draw interest.[/QUOTE]

Then make it a non-title fight like I suggested before. I just feel like too much blame got put on Jones here. It wasn't his fault any of this shit happened. It's not like he was trying to back out of his fight with Henderson or anything.

Does it really need to be non title though? With the champion fighting so few times a year kinda on the side on having the champion always defending his belt unless you're talking about a tournament from the old days having more then one fight in one night.Heck even being a title fight still favors Jones with Sonnen not in fighting shape and isn't like Sonnen has the KO power that Dan does for some random flash KO.Last time Sonnen beat anyone by TKO/KO was all the way back in 07 against a now former TUF cast member with a record of 22-22 currently.

There is a lot of hate on Jones for the event being canceled and it is true that part of the blame should go to the UFC I guess for depending too much on this one fight to sell the event and without it they simply couldn't keep it alive, but it just seems like too much of an easy opportunity for Jon Jones and does come off as a little fake when you've listened to his past quotes like how he'll step up and how hes a company guy and he'll do whatever they ask of him and talking about how he doesn't want to fight Lyoto because he isn't a draw being a high risk/low reward fight yet heres the one of the easiest low risk/high reward fights presented and he won't take it.Only adds more fire to the accusations of being fake and agree with krak on this one that it makes him look really bad.Hes the champ and calling Sonnen a coward yet he the ones that won't man up and take take the fight even with Sonnen at a huge disadvantage with no training camp.

[quote name='Magiblaze']Does it really need to be non title though? With the champion fighting so few times a year kinda on the side on having the champion always defending his belt unless you're talking about a tournament from the old days having more then one fight in one night.Heck even being a title fight still favors Jones with Sonnen not in fighting shape and isn't like Sonnen has the KO power that Dan does for some random flash KO.Last time Sonnen beat anyone by TKO/KO was all the way back in 07 against a now former TUF cast member with a record of 22-22 currently.

There is a lot of hate on Jones for the event being canceled and it is true that part of the blame should go to the UFC I guess for depending too much on this one fight to sell the event and without it they simply couldn't keep it alive, but it just seems like too much of an easy opportunity for Jon Jones and does come off as a little fake when you've listened to his past quotes like how he'll step up and how hes a company guy and he'll do whatever they ask of him and talking about how he doesn't want to fight Lyoto because he isn't a draw being a high risk/low reward fight yet heres the one of the easiest low risk/high reward fights presented and he won't take it.Only adds more fire to the accusations of being fake and agree with krak on this one that it makes him look really bad.Hes the champ and calling Sonnen a coward yet he the ones that won't man up and take take the fight even with Sonnen at a huge disadvantage with no training camp.[/QUOTE]

Fighting "so few times a year"? Are you high? Jon Jones fought 4 times in 2011. That is FAR more than any other champion in the UFC. He fought in February, March, September, and December. He without question carried the company while GSP, Anderson Silva, Brock Lesnar, Cain Velasquez, etc. were on the shelf. In my opinion, he's earned the right to turn down an opponent change on one week's notice. I seriously cannot believe the shit the guy is taking over this. I hope he just absolutely smashes his next few opponents and doesn't even give the UFC the satisfaction of having a competitive main event.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Fighting "so few times a year"? Are you high? Jon Jones fought 4 times in 2011. That is FAR more than any other champion in the UFC. He fought in February, March, September, and December. He without question carried the company while GSP, Anderson Silva, Brock Lesnar, Cain Velasquez, etc. were on the shelf. In my opinion, he's earned the right to turn down an opponent change on one week's notice. I seriously cannot believe the shit the guy is taking over this. I hope he just absolutely smashes his next few opponents and doesn't even give the UFC the satisfaction of having a competitive main event.[/QUOTE]

Quoted for fucking truth. My god it is absolutely ridiculous the amount of hate he's getting. Calling him a bitch? I understand MMA is pretty brutal compared to boxing and what not but it isn't some god damn street fight. You can call him a bitch all you want, fact of the matter is nobody has done what he has in such a short period of time. Sit down, please.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Fighting "so few times a year"? Are you high? Jon Jones fought 4 times in 2011. That is FAR more than any other champion in the UFC..[/QUOTE]
Normally champions don't tend to fight that often and was speaking of champions in general but that was a unique case.Jones took the title shot on a quicker turn around about 1 and 1/2 months replacing Rashad and in the Bader fight he wasn't champion yet.Thats amazing for any fighter though not just champions,4 fights fighting that level of competition and dominating so throughout.It was one of the biggest years for a fighter, the only other year that a fighter may have done more would have to be going back to 2005 with Shogun.So its a special case.For this year assuming he does fight later on then Jones will end up with having 2 fights for the entire year.

So on an average for this year the champions fighting is 1.5.Look at the year before and its a bit better with less injuries at 1.8.Going even further back you'll get 1.6.Bendo looks like he'll be fighting the most out of all the champions this year clocking in at 3 fights assuming his next fight happens with everyone else getting 2 or less.

I'm sure your wish will come true, hes already been smashing them having uncompetitive main events and seems likely to continue the trend especially against Vitors.Those hellbows seen against Vera/Hamil/Vlad look like they'll be coming back big time.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ced']"I want to serve the UFC and recapture the belt. I always respect my opponent. For those reasons, I must prepare myself in the manner I believe in." - Lyoto Machida

Jon Jones turns down a match with a week to prep, catches shit. Machida turns down a match with a month to prep, get a title fight with home turf advantage and 4 additional weeks to train. Huh...[/QUOTE]

Yeah you're right.....OH WAIT EXCEPT FOR THE FACT THAT JONES ALREADY HAD A FULL TRAINING CAMP + that week of prep.

Got dang look how gormandized Belfort appears. He's looking like Reem before he got caught ...

i0O7ePCOUE5n2.jpg

Jones doesn't deserve any of the blame for UFC 151 being canceled. That's the UFC's fault for having such a lackluster card that, without the main event, wasn't worth putting on.

Not sure why Chael Sonnen was on that list...

[quote name='tylerh1701']

Not sure why Chael Sonnen was on that list...[/QUOTE]
''Chael said mean things and doesn't deserve to fight Jones'' is what it pretty much said also don't act like this is the first UFC with shitty undercards.

Not sure how Sonnen can be on the list for only stepping up taking a fight without even training.Agree with #1,2 and 3 though.

Looks like the rematch with Phil Davis and Wagner Prado got pushed back a week in a reshuffling since 151 was canceled.Now moved to 153 in Brazil a week later which works.I'm generally interested in Prado from watching and hearing about his backstory on the Fuel prelims/preshow,don't think he can hang with Davis but interested in seeing the guy.

I had money on Prado against Davis in the first fight and felt real confident in Prado before the eye poke.

Yeah, Jones should truck Sonnen—but Sonnen-Jones is infinitely more interesting and competitive than rematches with Machida or Rua. Sonnen won five of seven rounds from Anderson Silva—who is arguably the best fighter on Earth. I'd like to see Rua retire before his cripples himself, and Machida should be at 185.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rl66lCBdElM

Upset of the year, thus far. I love seeing friends succeed. Tyson totally deserves a spot in one of the big three.

P.S. Rumor around town is that Belfort looks huge. Additionally, Belfort is working with the Blackzilians for this fight, with Rashad Evans as his head coach and Alistair Overeem as another coach. If you have extra chalk, I'd drop some on Belfort.

[quote name='Chase']I had money on Prado against Davis in the first fight and felt real confident in Prado before the eye poke.

Yeah, Jones should truck Sonnen—but Sonnen-Jones is infinitely more interesting and competitive than rematches with Machida or Rua. Sonnen won five of seven rounds from Anderson Silva—who is arguably the best fighter on Earth. I'd like to see Rua retire before his cripples himself, and Machida should be at 185.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rl66lCBdElM

Upset of the year, thus far. I love seeing friends succeed. Tyson totally deserves a spot in one of the big three.

P.S. Rumor around town is that Belfort looks huge. Additionally, Belfort is working with the Blackzilians for this fight, with Rashad Evans as his head coach and Alistair Overeem as another coach. If you have extra chalk, I'd drop some on Belfort.[/QUOTE]

Damn at Dantas getting ko'd. They need to bring Nam to Bellator for a rematch.

[quote name='Maklershed']Got dang look how gormandized Belfort appears. He's looking like Reem before he got caught ...

i0O7ePCOUE5n2.jpg
[/QUOTE]

fuck. Belfort does look huge. Regardless, I don't think he will even touch Jones. As long as Jones doesn't try to do any take downs, he won't get screwed by some bullshit stand ups. I hope Jones takes this fight differently than others and doesn't respect Belfort too much. I would like to see a stoppage within the first 2 minutes to shut everybody up. Chael continues to fish for a title shot in a division he clearly does not deserve one in.

I dig the opinions of Bloodstain Lane and FRB. I think FRB made a mention that he is in talks with ESPN. That would be incredible for MMA fans to have a person like FRB promoting MMA in the mainstream.

I just read that there was speculation that—due to injury—Belfort was set to pull out of UFC 152. Could you imagine the additional chaos?

And I did a short, first entry about my first four months in the bet game. (If that sorta thing interests you.) http://chasebyblog.blogspot.com/2012/08/adventures-in-land-of-chalk-part-1.html

Its a nice blog chase.Although I slightly disagree about wheat bread, or rather whole wheat for the fiber and it can help you feel full for longer and all of the heart benefits and that sort of thing but I suppose with a name like the devastation method you're rather trying to go for quicker times which would make sense.Agree totally on the kettlebells too,feel they're underrated at times when talking about strength all over that people will actually use and can get stuff out of.I'd like to try going vegan like you but just too use to being a meat eater.

For me I'd probably raise it a bit higher with maybe 70% research and 30% luck if I had to guess.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Belfort possibly pulling out would be massive chaos, I would love to see that just to witness Dana's reaction personally.[/QUOTE]

Dana White: "fuck it! I'm fighting Jon Jones myself!"

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Dana White: "fuck it! I'm fighting Jon Jones myself!"[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't doubt it. Remember he got all serious about fighting Tito Ortiz? LOL.

I think the best thing about the cancellation is the one marquee matchup gets to go on the next card, which I thought was thin too but now at least has one more great matchup. I wish the UFC would put on about one-third less ppvs to make the cards less watered down. If they did that there would be less fights but they could do a small FX card every couple of weeks and probably get killer ratings and more star power out of some of the lesser named fighters which would help ppvs.

[quote name='bigpimpin24']I wouldn't doubt it. Remember he got all serious about fighting Tito Ortiz? LOL.[/QUOTE]
Sad part was Tito was the one that actually backed out of it rather then Dana lol.He had sparred with Tito doing boxing before and use to be a boxing instructor/boxing aerobics.Don't know who got the better in their sparring sessions but I tend to think Tito was afraid of looking bad.

[quote name='icp_00_111']I think the best thing about the cancellation is the one marquee matchup gets to go on the next card, which I thought was thin too but now at least has one more great matchup. I wish the UFC would put on about one-third less ppvs to make the cards less watered down. If they did that there would be less fights but they could do a small FX card every couple of weeks and probably get killer ratings and more star power out of some of the lesser named fighters which would help ppvs.[/QUOTE]
It is one good thing about, more bouts being spread out now thanks to it.I actually like it better when the UFC had their deal with Spike rather then Fox.The days before the fighting robots and annoying superbowl music.With SpikeTV they could just change programing quick and isn't really a problem replacing reruns of 1000 ways to die with a fight night.In the long run the fox deal does seem better though with more chances to create more stars and giving more fighters chances to get in the UFC with needing to provide cards for Fox/FX/Fuel.

Heads-up: Dana White made an inquiry on the UG asking if anyone had any interest in Brock Lesnar versus Fedor Emelianenko.

Like his moronic attempt to bury Jon Jones, who is the face of today's UFC, I think we all remember Dana White burying Fedor's legacy over the last many years. What a dickhead. The Fertittas obviously keep Dana for a reason. He's their attack dog. He perhaps says things secretly on behalf of the Fertittas and absorbs the heat. They surely don't keep him because he's a people person. Jeffrey Dahmer was more of a people person than Dana White.

[quote name='Chase']Like his moronic attempt to bury Jon Jones, who is the face of today's UFC, I think we all remember Dana White burying Fedor's legacy over the last many years. What a dickhead. The Fertittas obviously keep Dana for a reason. He's their attack dog. He perhaps says things secretly on behalf of the Fertittas and absorbs the heat. They surely don't keep him because he's a people person. Jeffrey Dahmer was more of a people person than Dana White.[/QUOTE]

Come on. You can't possibly believe that. Dana and the UFC did everything except hand the company over to Fedor's managers. M1 Global was the one burying Fedor. They bled him dry and completely wasted his prime years, when he could have become a household name and a lifelong brand. All they could see was short term. Had Fedor come to the UFC in the early 2000's, he'd have made so much money, be firmly cemented in the Hall of Fame, and be celebrated more than even a guy like Randy Couture. It was a missed opportunity, but Fedor has no one to blame but himself.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Come on. You can't possibly believe that. Dana and the UFC did everything except hand the company over to Fedor's managers. M1 Global was the one burying Fedor. They bled him dry and completely wasted his prime years, when he could have become a household name and a lifelong brand. All they could see was short term. Had Fedor come to the UFC in the late 90's, he'd have made so much money, be firmly cemented in the Hall of Fame, and be celebrated more than even a guy like Randy Couture. It was a missed opportunity, but Fedor has no one to blame but himself.[/QUOTE]

M1 definitely deserves blame. Perhaps even Fedor deserves a part of the blame pie for sticking with them. But, Dana should have let it go. Hearing him bury Fedor over the last many years has been disgusting. I'm in the "Yeah, Dana, we go it. We all had at least some desire to see Fedor fight Brock in 2009, but the deal fell through. Oh well. Next." crowd.

[quote name='Chase']Heads-up: Dana White made an inquiry on the UG asking if anyone had any interest in Brock Lesnar versus Fedor Emelianenko.[/QUOTE]

Two guys that simply lack the fire they once had. Dana knows the rubes would still shell out the money for it. However, you just know it's going to be less than spectacular once one if them stops giving a fuck and that might even be before the opening bell.

Even in 2012 I think Lesnar vs. Fedor could do near 1 million buys.I'd still be interested in it even if you have to know neither guy would be making a comeback to the top.Tim Syliva vs. Arlovski this weekend.I'm going with Tim I think if he shows up at 265.Anyone have any thoughts on the fight regardless how irrelevant these two former champs have become?

[quote name='ced']Two guys that simply lack the fire they once had. Dana knows the rubes would still shell out the money for it. However, you just know it's going to be less than spectacular once one if them stops giving a fuck and that might even be before the opening bell.[/QUOTE]

I would have put money on Lesnar before his fight with diverticulitis. Lesnar is a tough dude—and that disease put the boots to his MMA career. Absolutely unfortunate. Imagine if he had time to improve his standing strikes game. He could have been a beast. Today, I still lean towards Lesnar, simply because his wrestling, size, and strength advantage beats Emelianenko's striking and sambo game. However, Fedor is likely to hurt him in three rounds, and definitely hurts him in five. The question is whether Fedor can escape Lesnar's wrestling and evade his power. In that regard, the odds go in Fedor's favor. The fight is a toss-up—but Lesnar stops caring before Fedor.

[quote name='Magiblaze']Even in 2012 I think Lesnar vs. Fedor could do near 1 million buys.I'd still be interested in it even if you have to know neither guy would be making a comeback to the top.Tim Syliva vs. Arlovski this weekend.I'm going with Tim I think if he shows up at 265.Anyone have any thoughts on the fight regardless how irrelevant these two former champs have become?[/QUOTE]

Sylvia-Arlovski is a freak show fight. For shitty as Sylvia looks, Arlovski's chin is gone. Now, Sylvia's chin is only marginally better, but, at heavyweight, you have to favor the guy with the stronger chin and strength advantage. I agree that everything depends on how Sylvia looks at the weigh-ins.

I don't quite see the whole deal for such a severe punishment for a rape joke although I do get why PR wise although this is the 2nd time for Torres so really makes him look like an idiot when going on twitter and doing it again.

I just wished they had the Torres vs. Faber superfight before he was cut again.I favor Faber all the way in the fight but still it was one of those fights I would've liked to seen before they both retire from having both as champs back in the day in WEC and looking like they'll be at the top for a long time even if it didn't end up as long as everyone thought.

Aldo vs Edgar set to headline UFC 153

Frankie Edgar’s decision to drop to featherweight has not gone unrewarded, as Edgar will get a long-rumored title shot in his first outing at 145 pounds.

That title shot will come sooner than expected, as Edgar is stepping in to face champion Jose Aldo at UFC 153 in October. Aldo was scheduled to meet KO artist Erik Koch, who has been forced to withdraw from the event due to injury.

"I'm pumped," UFC president Dana White told USA Today. "I think that people are going to be very excited for this fight." (Click for full interview)

"This main event is now not only a world title fight but also a super-fight that has long been a dream match for many fans," said White. "Aldo and Edgar are two fantastic fighters who are always a part of the pound-for-pound debate."
http://www.ufc.com/news/ufc-153-fight-card-updates

Indeed. I have a big interest in the line for that fight. Sorta thinking another bad decision for Edgar. Depends on where this fight is held. If they set it in Brazil, no freakin' way I'm touching the line (for Edgar) unless I hear things.

ONE FC is beginning as I type this. Starting my vacation a day early. Watching some of the card for reasons.

Ugh...One FC has the dumbest rules I've ever seen. Phil Baroni wins by soccer kicks and Andrei Arlovski gets punished for soccer kicks on the same card... Somebody please tell me when in the hell it is "safe" to kick somebody in the head. How exactly is that determined?

Its really stupid but apparently its only allowed when the referee says its ok to, so you have to pretty much look at the guy and he'll say yes or no.Was talking about it the other day with someone.Really seems more like a fatality from Mortal Kombat with the referee shouting "Finish him!" .

When it comes to the point where you have to wait for the ref to give the call, almost seems like the fight should already be over in some cases.The one where Huerta got koed was pretty brutal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back