MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) Thread: UFC/Strikeforce

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that Jones would have won this fight easily, he is alot larger of an opponent than Chael is used to and Chael wasn't training the whole time. I have been a Jones fan but pulling out of the fight just seems like a horrible idea and makes Chael look like a true badass. I wasn't a fan of alot of the things he said about Silva/Brazil but this is just a pure ballsy move to take the fight against an opponent that is the best in the business on eight days notice.

Very disappointing to see Joe Rogan participate in the UFC witch hunt of Jon Jones. Sure, people should have low expectations of Dana White, because he has been an awful person. But, Joe Rogan? I thought he was a better person. Now, Rogan just comes off as a dick-sucking, corporate stooge.

[quote name='Chase']Very disappointing to see Joe Rogan participate in the UFC witch hunt of Jon Jones. Sure, people should have low expectations of Dana White, because he has been an awful person. But, Joe Rogan? I thought he was a better person. Now, Rogan just comes off as a dick-sucking, corporate stooge.[/QUOTE]Where are you getting this from? Joe Rogan's twitter? Seemed to me like Joe was just expressing his disappointment and disbelief that Jon Jones didn't except the fight which then led to the entire event being cancelled. Completely understandable. Especially coming from his point of view as someone who works for the UFC and as a fan of MMA. His show at the Mandalay Bay got cancelled because of this whole thing too. Don't know about you, but my respect for Joe Rogan is still very much intact.

[quote name='icp_00_111']I think that Jones would have won this fight easily, he is alot larger of an opponent than Chael is used to and Chael wasn't training the whole time. I have been a Jones fan but pulling out of the fight just seems like a horrible idea and makes Chael look like a true badass. I wasn't a fan of alot of the things he said about Silva/Brazil but this is just a pure ballsy move to take the fight against an opponent that is the best in the business on eight days notice.[/QUOTE]

On Chael's side, there's nothing but win on the proposal: fight for a championship. Jones side: new opponent and a week to change strategy. I can't recall another champion accepting such a challenge on that short notice so I don't see why bag on Jones for doing something so unprecedented.

[quote name='PimpLimp']Where are you getting this from? Joe Rogan's twitter? Seemed to me like Joe was just expressing his disappointment and disbelief that Jon Jones didn't except the fight which then led to the entire event being cancelled. Completely understandable. Especially coming from his point of view as someone who works for the UFC and as a fan of MMA. His show at the Mandalay Bay got cancelled because of this whole thing too. Don't know about you, but my respect for Joe Rogan is still very much intact.[/QUOTE]

http://twitter.com/joerogan/status/238724342811353090

"Now the entire UFC card is scrapped because Jones didn't accept a fight with a 185lb'er who is completely out of shape. WOW. Just wow."

Putting all the blame on Jon Jones is Grade-A Dana White dick-sucking. The blame rests soley on Zuffa's shoulders for putting out such a weak card.

[quote name='Chase']Putting all the blame on Jon Jones is Grade-A Dana White dick-sucking. The blame rests soley on Zuffa's shoulders for putting out such a weak card.[/QUOTE]

Truth. When injuries have been a way of life for your company, you would think UFC would have something better than Ellenburger-Hieron as the closest thing you have to a co-headliner on the card.

Speaking of injuries, does anybody else think it's a sign to reconsider the monthly PPV format when a single headliner injury can send an entire card down the shitter?

[quote name='Chase']http://twitter.com/joerogan/status/238724342811353090

"Now the entire UFC card is scrapped because Jones didn't accept a fight with a 185lb'er who is completely out of shape. WOW. Just wow."

Putting all the blame on Jon Jones is Grade-A Dana White dick-sucking. The blame rests soley on Zuffa's shoulders for putting out such a weak card.[/QUOTE]I see your point, but I see the blame falling on BOTH parties. Obviously more so on Zuffa's part but you can't honestly say Jon Jones has no responsibility. He's a professional fighter, the absolute ONE thing he's supposed to do is fight. Jon Jones has been preparing for FOUR months to fight a former PRIDE, UFC & Strikeforce Champion in Dan Henderson. Who IMO is without a doubt a better striker and more dangerous than Sonnen is. And I'm expected to believe that a little over a week isn't enough to prepare for, and I'll use Rogan's words, "a 185lb'er who is completely out of shape?" Just thing about the flip side. If I was Chael Sonnen and I only had a little over a week to prepare for Jon Jones, I'd be shitting bricks!

But the one thing I can ABSOLUTELY agree with you on is how much a fucking dick Dana White is being about all this. While I don't think Joe Rogan was trying to put ALL the blame on Jon Jones, Dana White sure as fuck is.

I guess I'm just disappointed as a fan of both Zuffa and Jones for how things ended up.

Sudden realization: Jon Jones refusing to fight Chael Sonnen is a reason why I'll have to find another way to double my bankroll. Now I'm even less happy about the situation.

You know what? Suck that Dana White dick, Joe Rogan. fuck Jon Jones.

riding the anti-dana bones worship hard.

bones is a douche, for various reasons beyond todays events. Im loving the tweets from the other fighters scheduled for the card, good stuff.

And as a champion, he should be putting himself out there. people are going to call out anderson and on selective fights, then support jones. interesting opinions for sure.

edit - chael is a fuckin BOSS

[quote name='Chase']http://twitter.com/joerogan/status/238724342811353090

Putting all the blame on Jon Jones is Grade-A Dana White dick-sucking. The blame rests soley on Zuffa's shoulders for putting out such a weak card.[/QUOTE]
Kinda am amazed though Jon Jones didn't take the fight, he had been through a full training camp and Chael hasn't been training lately and hes been with his girlfriend over to whatever state her parents live since her father just passed away.Just seemed like if he was ever going to fight Chael, that it would be the easiest time to right now

I can see why Anderson Silva doesn't want to face Chris Weidman,just a high risk/low reward type of fight.Weidman's breakout performance was on Fuel TV and hardly seen by anyone and Weidman isn't a huge name just yet, he possesses the biggest threat to Anderson Silva having a fully legit ground game with his wrestling and jit jutsu good enough where it seems possibly he could keep Anderson on his back and not be subbed in the process.

Thought this was sort of funny.

http://www.tmz.com/2012/08/23/ken-shamrock-fight-mall-attack-woman-ufc/

UFC hall-of-famer Ken Shamrock -- one of the greatest MMA fighters ever -- has been accused of battering a woman at a California mall ... but Ken claims it was an honest mistake ... 'cause he thought she was a he.

Shamrock -- whose nickname is "The World's Most Dangerous Man" -- was hangin' out at a mall in Modesto, CA last month when he saw two women fighting each other in front of the Coach store ... surrounded by a group of lookie loos filming the whole thing.

We're told Shamrock dove into the scrap and tried to pry the women apart ... when one of the bystanders, a HEAVYSET bystander, jumped on his back and tried to rip Ken out of the pile.

Shamrock's rep tells TMZ ... he threw the person off of his back and followed up with a move that knocked the attacker to the ground.

After the person was incapacitated, the crowd shouted at Ken, "You just hit a girl." Ken took a closer look and realized the attacker was in fact a female .. so he immediately backed off.

An officer arrived to the scene and took a battery report against Shamrock, noting the only injury was a slight abrasion to the woman's knee. The report was sent to the District Attorney's Office.

But law enforcement sources tell TMZ ... Shamrock probably won't be prosecuted because officials don't feel the woman he knocked to the ground is a "victim." In fact, they believe Ken was acting in self-defense.

Shamrock's rep notes, "Outside the ring, Ken is not a violent man ... and was only trying to do the right thing."

Are you people serious? How can you possibly think it's reasonable to give the champion a surprise opponent a week before the fight? The issue isn't Jones "ducking" Sonnen, or "selecting his fights like Anderson" (yeah, because refusing an opponent months in advance is totally the same thing as refusing an opponent a week before the fight...:dunce:), or whatever other stupid accusations people want to throw around. The fact that he IS a professional is the reason to not take the fight.

I guarantee you Jones wasn't drilling wrestling anywhere near as hard as he would have if his opponent had been Sonnen all along. I also guarantee you that he'd have no problem fighting Sonnen if given proper notice...like every other defending champion has had in the past. Could he still have beaten Chael? Probably. But we've seen plenty of fights where a last minute switch totally screws with a guy's head. He wasn't preparing for Sonnen, and it's not right to just throw him in there with him at the last second.

Why is it Jones' fault that Henderson got hurt? Why is it Jones' fault that the UFC didn't have enough competent fights to still put on an event? If anything, I'd say a fight with Sonnen should have been proposed as a non-title fight. It's not fair to make Jones defend his belt against a surprise opponent with no notice. And Sonnen sure as hell doesn't deserve a title shot at LHW anyway.

[quote name='Magiblaze']Thought this was sort of funny.

http://www.tmz.com/2012/08/23/ken-shamrock-fight-mall-attack-woman-ufc/[/QUOTE]

Also...I gotta say, that battery charge is complete bullshit. I mean...Shamrock should have stayed his ass the hell out of it anyway (I'm guessing the recent slew of "MMA Heroes" stories made him see an opportunity to get his name back in the spotlight though). But if this person jumped on him first...that's self defense, no question. When you're being attacked, the gender of the person attacking you really doesn't matter. But damn! Next time, just let them go, Ken.

bitchesbecrazy.png

I agree that Jones has no right being blamed AT ALL. Sure, it could probably be an easy fight for him but you never know. It is MMA after all and while nothing is ever certain, taking the fight on such short notice can only work against him. Jones has EVERYTHING to lose and Chael nothing at all. He gets an automatic title shot in a weight division he has yet to fight anyone in recently, as well as being able to hold it over Anderson too.

As for the card being scrapped, fuck that card. It was garbage anyway. Jones fights 3~4 times a year while everyone else only fights once maybe twice. It's bullshit.

I for one am disgusted with Dana's petulant actions and behavior over this nonsense. I hold him and UFC management accountable. Not Jones. It's not Jones or Jackson's responsibility to cancel or save cards. Look at UFC 147 and 149 - two cards where the title fights were both scratched but both events still went on without a hitch. Why is it a problem now? Why couldn't an undercard be promoted to the main event? Or if UFC wanted to be real heroes, just have the event discounted or free on PPV.

Also, Jones responds to the situation ...

http://mmajunkie.com/news/30352/jon...-behind-decision-to-turn-down-replacement.mma

Thank god I'm hearing some actual discussion here instead of hate. I feel bad for the fighters that have to live by every next fight but holy shit isn't that the UFC's fault for paying them so low? Isn't Sonnen way different than Jones is training for? Jones could very well be in top shape but if he isn't ready for what Sonnen does what sense does that make? Now if Jones refused the UFC 152 card with Sonnen that's another story.

[quote name='Maklershed']I for one am disgusted with Dana's petulant actions and behavior over this nonsense. I hold him and UFC management accountable. Not Jones. It's not Jones or Jackson's responsibility to cancel or save cards. Look at UFC 147 and 149 - two cards where the title fights were both scratched but both events still went on without a hitch. Why is it a problem now? Why couldn't an undercard be promoted to the main event? Or if UFC wanted to be real heroes, just have the event discounted or free on PPV.

Also, Jones responds to the situation ...

http://mmajunkie.com/news/30352/jon...-behind-decision-to-turn-down-replacement.mma[/QUOTE]

Great response on his part. He is completely right. What fault does he have that the ENTIRE card was scrapped? This is why Jones is going to be on top for a long time. He definitely knows he would beat just about anyone but he STILL sits down and thinks with his head. Every single fight he goes in with a game plan and is very very cautious. Imagine if he went in there guns blazing every single fight.. I seriously think MMA would have it's first murder lol. Dude knows he's good but he's not letting his ego get to him.

A lot of posting being thrown around here. I personally think it was a bit of a weak move on Jones' part not to take the fight when he is pushing P4P #1 status against a guy who would be making his debut in the division. It wouldn't be the easiest fight he has ever had, but that's not the point. If you're the big bad 205 king and future P4P top dog, then you should be able to take a short notice fight every now and again.

From Jones' standpoint, I can see why he didn't take it though. He has the title and doesn't have to be forced into fighting any replacements he doesn't want to. He had to fight Machida, but he didn't have to fight Sonnen. All a fight with Sonnen would give him is a little more hype and some more money in his bank account, but it doesn't aid his bid to become the GOAT.

Tempting: Betting on Machida against Jones in the rematch. Let's put this into perspective. Anthony Johnson: Misses weight for UFC 142 and screws with the co-main event. UFC sends in Dan Miragliotta to assassinate Johnson, a wrestler, with highly-questionable, early stand-ups. Now, the UFC blames Jon Jones for the cancellation of an entire PPV. Jones is going to wind-up at the bottom of Lake Las Vegas. Rumors say the Fertittas have either mob ties or operate a mob family. Dana is just the attack dog for the Fertittas. The real danger is behind the scenes.

Saying you don't want to fight the next #1 contender because of the financial aspects of the fight is a bitch move. I think JJ should have taken the Chael fight especially after all the twitter beef and the fact that Jones was the one with a full training camp. Yes, it was for Hendo but Chael has no training camp AND just found out his opponent was JJ. Jones would be the one with the advantage.

[quote name='Chase']Tempting: Betting on Machida against Jones in the rematch. Let's put this into perspective. Anthony Johnson: Misses weight for UFC 142 and screws with the co-main event. UFC sends in Dan Miragliotta to assassinate Johnson, a wrestler, with highly-questionable, early stand-ups. Now, the UFC blames Jon Jones for the cancellation of an entire PPV. Jones is going to wind-up at the bottom of Lake Las Vegas. Rumors say the Fertittas have either mob ties or operate a mob family. Dana is just the attack dog for the Fertittas. The real danger is behind the scenes.[/QUOTE]

I don't think the UFC has any real say in the referees that get appointed to fights, at least on the surface. Payoffs, whatever else, perhaps...but technically Dan just screwed up Rumble's fight just because, not for any specific reason.

On a related note, there is no chance that Jon Jones is going to get punished in the Machida fight at all. Dana may not like that he ruined an entire fight card but he is still one of the biggest draws in the UFC and more importantly has the power to hurt Machida. Doesn't matter if every scorecard said 50-45 Lyoto Machida, its unlikely The Dragon can make it 5 rounds.

Dudes, I'm betting against Jones. Shit is going down! It's now Belfort-Jones for the title. What the fuck!

Angry Dana? Check.
Vitor Belfort? Check.
Dan Miragliotta? _____

That last variable comes into play and the screwjob is a lock.

Why is the UFC scrambling to put this fight together? Just put the fight off until later in the year when hendo or machida are ready. Don't just give it to the first guy who says yes and isn't named chael p. Sonnen.

[quote name='Chase']Dudes, I'm betting against Jones. Shit is going down! It's now Belfort-Jones for the title. What the fuck!

Angry Dana? Check.
Vitor Belfort? Check.
Dan Miragliotta? _____

That last variable comes into play and the screwjob is a lock.[/QUOTE]

Belfort? Really...seriously. I think Vitor's has a very, very slim chance of winning because he WON'T...STOP...THE TAKEDOWNS! Unlike 900lb Rumble, Jones won't gas when the fight hits the floor and Jones will really be able to shred Vitor up with GNP on the ground.

The biggest issue here is why would Mr. Machida ever turn down a title shot with Jones when he battled Bader for pretty much specifically that reason? How much step-aside money did he get to allow Belfort to come in and get knocked to the back of the line when he loses?

Thinking about this all day and the only one im really blaming is the UFC.

Putting all the weight on Jon Jones and blaming him for a whole event being cancelled is really fucken shitty. Its kina like saying that the main event was the only good thing on the card to beggin with and its not worth it even happening if Jones isnt fighting in it.

There fault for not having a solid card enough to carry a whole PPV to begin with. Gotta have a back up plan, especially when one of the fighters is 41 and needs Testosterone replacement to even be in fighting shape!

The UFC could of said, "Due to injury to the main card in such short notice, 151 is not happening". Jones instead is fighting a WORTHY opponent on 152 3 weeks later". Instead, there throwing a new opponent at Jones in 1 weeks notice and praying that Jones accepts and saves there asses in MILKING another PPV event in the month of september. fuck that. Chael isnt even worthy of the next shot at Jones, its Machida. Which Jones is going to fight in less than a month. That in itself is still taking a new fight in short notice! lol.

I get the feeling that Dana would never do this to GSP or Anderson Silva and them call him out for not being "Professional" and put the blame solely on them.

And Ofcourse Chaels going to jump right in. He was going to be on the couch watching the fight. Instead, he would now be fighting making thousands, getting another title shot just 2 months after his last one. Dude would of come out "Like a gangster in the night" as he says lol.

EDIT: And as im typing this rant, the story changes, LMAO! Vitor Belfort now?? What is this, i dont even....

Edit: Jon Jones to fight a Grizzly Bear at UFC 152. Ladder match.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']A lot of posting being thrown around here. I personally think it was a bit of a weak move on Jones' part not to take the fight when he is pushing P4P #1 status against a guy who would be making his debut in the division. It wouldn't be the easiest fight he has ever had, but that's not the point. If you're the big bad 205 king and future P4P top dog, then you should be able to take a short notice fight every now and again.

From Jones' standpoint, I can see why he didn't take it though. He has the title and doesn't have to be forced into fighting any replacements he doesn't want to. He had to fight Machida, but he didn't have to fight Sonnen. All a fight with Sonnen would give him is a little more hype and some more money in his bank account, but it doesn't aid his bid to become the GOAT.[/QUOTE]

Very well said. Taking the fight and beating Sonnen (which he probably would have done) would have made Jones look like a badass. And it still would have been a fair fight, like you say it's not like Chael's been training for a month for Jones.

I guess Jones has every right to refuse the fight, but he lost a lot of respect from me. I've never cheered against him in a fight, but I'll definitely be pulling for Lyoto next month.

EDIT: Like the guy above me, somehow the whole situation changed again while I was typing my post. Seriously what the fuck!

Man, what the fuck is going down? I don't even...

Didn't even realize viol8tor had the same reaction.

God damn, there are some stupid people in this thread. Jones wasn't preparing for a wrestler. It doesn't matter how "badass" he is...or what the fight would make him look like, that's not what he's been training for. What is so difficult to comprehend about this?

Scouting Report vs Dan Henderson: Former elite wrestler who stopped wrestling a long time ago. Thinks he's a boxer now. Tries to land huge overhand right and knock people into next Tuesday. Gasses easily.

Scouting Report vs Chael Sonnen: Elite wrestler, who when focused, utilizes his skills to the fullest extent. Will go for the takedown and not stop until he gets it. Inadequate striker.

Scouting Report vs Vitor Belfort: Very good striker with extremely fast hands. Allegedly skilled in submissions, but never takes the fight to the ground. Subject to being knocked out.

Gee...I wonder why, given his preparation for fighting Henderson, he would be more inclined to take a fight against Belfort (or hell...Forrest Griffin for that matter) than he would against Sonnen...:dunce:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ect-kgxBb4M

Are people going to call out Machida now? I hope not but it would be hypocritical not to if you bashed Jones.

Honestly I didn't want to see a rematch so a new opponent for Jones will be exciting.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']God damn, there are some stupid people in this thread. Jones wasn't preparing for a wrestler. It doesn't matter how "badass" he is...or what the fight would make him look like, that's not what he's been training for. What is so difficult to comprehend about this?

Scouting Report vs Dan Henderson: Former elite wrestler who stopped wrestling a long time ago. Thinks he's a boxer now. Tries to land huge overhand right and knock people into next Tuesday. Gasses easily.

Scouting Report vs Chael Sonnen: Elite wrestler, who when focused, utilizes his skills to the fullest extent. Will go for the takedown and not stop until he gets it. Inadequate striker.
[/QUOTE]
Henderson has kinda been planning on winning the rounds rather then relying on the overhand right and has mentioned hes definitely planning on putting Jones on his back to see how he does.In a way Jeff Hougland might have said it best saying hes basicly fighting Dan Henderson without the big right hand.Just throwing it out there even though you can't technically go just by that and different types of wrestlers.

Is somewhat funny about a week ago Jon Jones was calling Chael Sonnen a coward.Irony right there.

Crazy 24 hour span.Disappointing to hear Machida turned down his future title shot as well and Shogun afterwards and now somehow another middleweight would be back at 205 challenging Jon Jones for the title.Must be missing the days of Liddell as champion where he'd fight anyone at anytime.Have to agree totally with krak on how this fight ends up going.All that said,Jones would have crushed Sonnen.

Some fun Jon Jones quotes.Unfortunately unable to find the one about where he he gets to the point where he would be turning down fights that its probably time to retire with all the news lately of Jones having crowded up the search engines.

You never have to worry about me with a DWI or doing something crazy. I think I’m a good company guy. The UFC asks me to do anything and I always do it, and I never tell them no for anything…

I'm staying away from laying any chalk on Jones-Belfort. If any, it'll be a small play on Belfort. There are people upset about the loss of, say, a few thousand dollars in potential profit. How much anger do you think is in the harbor of Zuffa and the Fertittas after they had to cancel an entire pay-per-view and mess relations with their long-time ally in Mandalay Bay? They already have their hitman in Belfort. They'll have Miragliotta fix the reffing again, like they did with Johnson-Belfort. Giant red flags all over this main event. Zuffa is out for blood and to make a statement that fighters should do as they are told.

^ if thats true, nothing against Belfort, I hope Jones knocks him into another dimension.

BTW I was already a big Jones fan having enjoyed his fights from the beginning and being there at 129 to see him get the belt .. but thanks to the shitty way UFC management has treated him, I'm now a staunch Jones supporter for life.

[quote name='Maklershed']^ if thats true, nothing against Belfort, I hope Jones knocks him into another dimension.

BTW I was already a big Jones fan having enjoyed his fights from the beginning and being there at 129 to see him get the belt .. but thanks to the shitty way UFC management has treated him, I'm now a staunch Jones supporter for life.[/QUOTE]

The scary part is that, according to Zach Arnold of Fight Opinion, the drug-testing in Toronto will either be lax or non-existent. What is to stop Zuffa from sending in a PED-heavy Belfort? Jones should aim for a quick finish.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']God damn, there are some stupid people in this thread. Jones wasn't preparing for a wrestler. It doesn't matter how "badass" he is...or what the fight would make him look like, that's not what he's been training for. What is so difficult to comprehend about this?

Scouting Report vs Vitor Belfort: Very good striker with extremely fast hands. Allegedly skilled in submissions, but never takes the fight to the ground. Subject to being knocked out.

Gee...I wonder why, given his preparation for fighting Henderson, he would be more inclined to take a fight against Belfort (or hell...Forrest Griffin for that matter) than he would against Sonnen...:dunce:

[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't argue with any of your points. That being said, I still think he should have taken the fight.

[quote name='Hostile']Are people going to call out Machida now? I hope not but it would be hypocritical not to if you bashed Jones.

Honestly I didn't want to see a rematch so a new opponent for Jones will be exciting.[/QUOTE]

To me, it's different for Machida because he's not the champ. He has nothing to defend. I think it's stupid that he turned down a title shot (one that he just earned) but maybe he knows he's not going to beat Jones and doesn't want to get hurt.

The first event ever cancelled in UFC history and the first time a champion has ever turned down a fight in UFC history. Dana White is truly pissed.

[quote name='tylerh1701']To me, it's different for Machida because he's not the champ. He has nothing to defend. I think it's stupid that he turned down a title shot (one that he just earned) but maybe he knows he's not going to beat Jones and doesn't want to get hurt.[/QUOTE]

Machida has been a champ. If Machida has everything to gain and still refuses to fight what does that say about him? Dana should throw him under the bus too otherwise he's a hypocrite.

People are bringing up Jones saying he'll never refuse a fight. The only way I see Jones in the wrong here is if he refused the Sonnen fight a month from now.

Exactly what I was thinking. Why throw Belfort in there now? I bet Jones wouldn't have a problem fighting Sonnen on the 22nd. The fact he was trying to make him fight him 8 days before the fight was ridiculous.

[quote name='bigpimpin24']Exactly what I was thinking. Why throw Belfort in there now? I bet Jones wouldn't have a problem fighting Sonnen on the 22nd. The fact he was trying to make him fight him 8 days before the fight was ridiculous.[/QUOTE]

Pretty much, lol.

My first question is, how badly hurt is Hendo: Is he a month or 2 away from fighting again? Or can he not fight this year at all?

Will Machida take the Jones fight after 2 or 3 months training?. If so, delay it and make it happen.

And then, if Jones is going to fight at 152, why not CHAEL then??? That would be massive and i dont think Jones would turn it down in 1 months training instead of 1 week.

I just don't understand Belfort. It settles nothing in the Light heavy weight division. The 2 guys that deserve title shots aren't in it, and its not even the biggest marketable PPV fight with Chael.

[quote name='Chase']I'm staying away from laying any chalk on Jones-Belfort. If any, it'll be a small play on Belfort. There are people upset about the loss of, say, a few thousand dollars in potential profit. How much anger do you think is in the harbor of Zuffa and the Fertittas after they had to cancel an entire pay-per-view and mess relations with their long-time ally in Mandalay Bay? They already have their hitman in Belfort. They'll have Miragliotta fix the reffing again, like they did with Johnson-Belfort. Giant red flags all over this main event. Zuffa is out for blood and to make a statement that fighters should do as they are told.[/QUOTE]

I was listening to Dana talking about the whole ordeal and is he indeed very upset with Jones. He said, exactly, "I can't make you fight but...its...probably not a good idea to not fight". Sounds like a mob threat Dana, sounds like a mob threat!

On that note, I do think they want to send in Belfort to smash Jones with a big KO being that he is the quicker guy, but having not fought at 205 since 2007 and being vulnerable to not only big punchers on the feet but also some rasslers, I don't have confidence at all that he could pull it off. Shadiness in that fight is afoot, but I have a tough time seeing Vitor becoming the new champion.

[quote name='Magiblaze']Henderson has kinda been planning on winning the rounds rather then relying on the overhand right and has mentioned hes definitely planning on putting Jones on his back to see how he does.In a way Jeff Hougland might have said it best saying hes basicly fighting Dan Henderson without the big right hand.Just throwing it out there even though you can't technically go just by that and different types of wrestlers.[/QUOTE]

Comparing the wrestling of 41 year old Dan Henderson to that of Chael Sonnen who may be "out of shape"...but is also coming off a recent fight at 185, and wouldn't have to drain his body so bad for 205 is crazy talk. I also don't buy that Henderson would actually try to wrestle Jones, who is younger, faster, stronger and a pretty damn good wrestler himself. And regardless of what Henderson "intended" to do, that doesn't change what Jones had been training for. And to me, him turning down the Sonnen fight is evidence that he wasn't focusing on wrestling. The notion that he "fears" Chael Sonnen is ridiculous.

And really, the more that comes out about this...the numerous other fighters turning the fight down, etc. I think there's plenty of blame to go around. Questioning the severity of Henderson's injury is even a fair point. I think the sport is starting to reach a point where fighters are concerned with protecting their record and their standing in the division. Who knows if Henderson is too hurt to fight...or just too hurt to be confident in himself. This isn't just a Jon Jones problem.

Also, the mob conspiracy theories are hilarious. You guys are too much.

So Jones opens up at -1300.Seems fair although the last time I can remember any champ opening up that high as a fav might have been Chandler at -1100 against Gono.If Vitor's last fight was any indicating at where hes at with being saved by the numerous stand up's thanks to the ref then should be an easy day for Bones.

I don't know if it was a fix or not in that fight but those stand ups were very suspicious,had like three quick ones in the first round and only round.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']I think the sport is starting to reach a point where fighters are concerned with protecting their record and their standing in the division.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you here, and I think that's a very bad thing for the sport.

I understand that the ultimate goal is to win, but another main goal of sports is to entertain the fans. IMO, a lot of sports have forgotten that, I don't want to see the UFC do the same thing.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']I was listening to Dana talking about the whole ordeal and is he indeed very upset with Jones. He said, exactly, "I can't make you fight but...its...probably not a good idea to not fight". Sounds like a mob threat Dana, sounds like a mob threat!

On that note, I do think they want to send in Belfort to smash Jones with a big KO being that he is the quicker guy, but having not fought at 205 since 2007 and being vulnerable to not only big punchers on the feet but also some rasslers, I don't have confidence at all that he could pull it off. Shadiness in that fight is afoot, but I have a tough time seeing Vitor becoming the new champion.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Magiblaze']So Jones opens up at -1300.Seems fair although the last time I can remember any champ opening up that high as a fav might have been Chandler at -1100 against Gono.If Vitor's last fight was any indicating at where hes at with being saved by the numerous stand up's thanks to the ref then should be an easy day for Bones.

I don't know if it was a fix or not in that fight but those stand ups were very suspicious,had like three quick ones in the first round and only round.[/QUOTE]

Indeed and definitely. The fix is in, gents. I was angry about just a few thousand. In Zuffa's head, Jones has cost them a lot more (e.g., hurt relationships, perhaps millions). No one just fucks over the Fertittas and gets away with it. Out of all the logical options for 152, Lorenzo says he personally selects Belfort to fight Jones. (Belfort is said to be "Lorenzo's favorite.") I have no doubt that they'll send in a PED-heavy Belfort to prove a point. I know I would.

A big story that people have not made a big deal: Zuffa trying to force Rua to fight within his medical suspension. That is illegal, folks, and really a.) stupid, and b.) dangerous.

And Machida said he would have fought Jones at 153. More interesting, Machida says he will now have to fight one more fight to get a title shot. Zuffa is just overflowing with spite. Raise your hand if you think they'll pair him with someone like Te Huna or Rashad Evans.

I think Rashad Evans is a good possibility if true.Enough time has passed and Rashad looks like hes improved enough over the last few years for a rematch to be interesting enough and its two big enough names for a main event.With the roaster being stretched out and tied up can't really think of any other big name for Machida if he has to go through another fight.

Looks like Jake Ellenberger vs. Jay Hieron is being squeezed into UFC on FX 5 in two months after this card was canceled.

Oddly enough Jon Jones' PR guy quit earlier this week and right now is probably when he needs him the most.

[quote name='Chase']Indeed and definitely. The fix is in, gents. I was angry about just a few thousand. In Zuffa's head, Jones has cost them a lot more (e.g., hurt relationships, perhaps millions). No one just fucks over the Fertittas and gets away with it. Out of all the logical options for 152, Lorenzo says he personally selects Belfort to fight Jones. (Belfort is said to be "Lorenzo's favorite.") I have no doubt that they'll send in a PED-heavy Belfort to prove a point. I know I would.

A big story that people have not made a big deal: Zuffa trying to force Rua to fight within his medical suspension. That is illegal, folks, and really a.) stupid, and b.) dangerous.

And Machida said he would have fought Jones at 153. More interesting, Machida says he will now have to fight one more fight to get a title shot. Zuffa is just overflowing with spite. Raise your hand if you think they'll pair him with someone like Te Huna or Rashad Evans.[/QUOTE]

Why do you think that Vitor being on PEDs would even make that big of a difference? He's going to gas quickly, cannot stop the takedowns and is going to have trouble keeping out the looong range kicks of Jones. He probably has the power in theory to score a knockout with or without PEDs, but PEDs won't improve his cardio, TDD or bottom game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back