MMA (UFC, Strikeforce, Bellator, Invicta, etc.) Discussion Thread -- Version II

lmao...that's amazing. Middle finger, leg kick. The next time they fight...Conor should do both. Flip Diaz the bird and then immediately kick him in the leg, haha. Wonder how Nate would feel about that.

So, the heavy speculation of Conor's "shit is going to hit the fan" comments are pointing back toward Mayweather again. The talk seems to be getting pretty serious about it this time. I honestly think that could be the one match up that would make everyone ok with McGregor still not defending the FW belt.

Also, anybody who saw Nate Diaz's post-fight "press conference" style interview, this shouldn't be a shock. Dumbass is about to get himself suspended.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nate-diaz-could-face-suspension-for-vaping-cannibis-after-conor-mcgregor-fight-021515149.html

UFC Vancouver

Great job by 12 Gauge, thought Rawlings would put her away. She was throwing a lot of flashy spinning stuff and it ended up connecting in the 2nd round to give her the finish. Don't know that she will ever be championship caliber but was pretty entertaining none the less.

Pettis looked pretty good at 145, De Bronx is definitely not a pushover. Was pretty wicked to see him choke him out and very nice to see his sub defense. Hopefully if he does well we can finally see an Aldo vs Pettis fight. I still see him losing to Frankie Edgar though. Wouldn't mind seeing him fight Holloway or Swanson either.

Really disappointed with the Maia vs Condit result. I knew that if Maia got it to the ground it was going to be over for Condit. Even though I really don't like Maia's style of fighting you have got to respect what he does. Ever since he got the grappling fine tuned he has literally been shutting guys down. What he did to Gunnar Nelson a while back was just insane. Give the guy a title shot.

I thought Maia was going to pull it out, but via decision. Like 3 or 4 rounds of grappling versus 1 or 2 round of not being able to get him down. The instant take down, to back, to RNC was crazy. Condit looked stunned and completely broken when the choke was locked in.

Maia's jiu jitsu is so bread and butter and is just the pure basics, but he does them perfectly. Impossible to deny him a title shot now. After beating Gunnar, Brown and now Condit. wow.

I think he could quite possibly do the exact same  thing to Wonderboy if he beats Woodley.

Decent fights yesterday. I feel bad for both Bader and Arlovski.

Bader showed that he is still top 5 in the division. Probably number 3 or 4 but he will never make it by guys like Jones, Cormier, Johnson, etc. barring a miracle. He always falls short of the final hurdle to get the title shot. Pretty much everyone who beats Bader gets a titleshot - Jones, Machida, Johnson, and Glover all got it that way. Must be depressing to always be the guy who loses the #1 contender fight.  Bader also loses them in spectacular fashion. All the above guys finished him highlight reel style. Hell, Tito Ortiz's greatest win in my opinion was his round 1 finish of Bader. That is one of the only times I can remember that I actually jumped up during a fight.

As for Arlovski - I feel bad that his is probably the tail end of his resurgence. He came storming back on beating Schaub, Bigfoot, Browne and Mir. Then he loses to Stipe in the #1 contender fight which lets Stipe win the belt. Then he loses to Overeem in the next #1 contender fight. Now to Barnett. I just don't think he has the time or the ability to string together another streak like before to get close to a shot. Time to probably time hang it up.

I'm excited for Saturday. Overeem and Stipe should be good. Overeem finally living up to what everyone thought he would do in the UFC after his horrible start (with Bigfoot, Browne and Rothwell). The KO of JDS was crazy impressive. The thing with Overeem is that he seems to be able to crash and burn when in complete control. The way he lost the Browne and Bigfoot fights were crazy.

Always excited to see Werdum back out there. Hopefully he is back to having a good game plan against Browne. And of course the debut of CM Punk hah

Pumped for this whole card tonight. I'm a big fan of Joanne Calderwood. She's so meek and quiet...and she can just straight fuck people up, lol. I love that. She could literally be insane and nobody would know.

Also curious to see how Faber rebounds after the Cruz beatdown. Also hoping Werdum gets back to business and shows he's still a top fighter. Hopefully he doesn't get eyepoked to death though.

And CM Punk...man, I can't believe it's finally happening. We'll find out real quick if he's learned anything at all in the almost two years of training he's had.

Stipe - Reem...I just want a good fight. Hopefully neither of them is stupid and runs into the other's fists/feet.

Jesus, Urijah. Nut shot...eye poke. Whether either was intentional or not, his diminished skills are almost making him fight irresponsibly at this point. How much more obvious could it be that he's just there collecting a paycheck? His best chance would have been taking Rivera down...and he doesn't even try it. Just bad, bad fighting from an aging legend. Makes me sad.

Well, let's see if CM Punk can do better than JoJo and Urijah, lol. :lol:

AHAHAHAHA....Gall did come out to "Hey Mickey". I heard they weren't allowing it. HIlarious.

And Punk kept "Cult of Personality" as almost everybody expected, haha.

I have a strange feeling it's all down hill from here... Let the freakshow begin! :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm looking forward to this sideshow. Glad he kept the music, it fits him.

And that went as expected.

lmao...God damn. That was almost as bad as James Toney/Randy Couture. I almost feel dumber for having watched that. I can't imagine Punk does this again.

lmao...God damn. That was almost as bad as James Toney/Randy Couture. I almost feel dumber for having watched that. I can't imagine Punk does this again.

Not that it would have mattered much, but I gotta say, the fight plan was dumb as fuck too. You're an MMA noob with limited abilities and terrible takedown defense...and you charge at the guy off the opening bell. Punk is not Brock Lesnar. There was no way he was going to overwhelm Gall, and the thought that he was just going to walk out and one shot him is retarded.

I would have told him to stay on the outside, let Gall come to him, and fight defensively. The biggest thing Punk had going for him was being an unknown. When you charge at the guy and throw haymakers, you're just making it easy on him. I actually watched the "Evolution of CM Punk" episodes and his takedown defense was garbage in every episode. There's no way Gall wasn't aware of that.

Punk said he wants to fight again. But I don't know how the UFC does it. You HAVE to bury him on the prelims against an absolute nobody. Even though nobody knew Mickey Gall...he's a freaking BJJ brown belt and has been training since he was 15. That wasn't even a fair fight for Punk. So, you either put him in the position on the card that his skill level dictates (which really, doesn't actually exist, but let's be generous). Or you put him on the card where his CELEBRITY dictates...and deal with the backlash of putting a WWE star against a Burger King employee on a PPV main card.

WHAT IN THE ACTUAL fuck...? Travis Browne just called a timeout because he was hurt....and they let him keep fighting. That is pure horseshit. fuck that guy, man. If he wins somehow, it should be overturned immediately. I was going to say something about that in the Faber/Rivera fight (same ref too). Rivera was the one calling for the stoppages each time. That's not how it's supposed to work.

LOL at Edmond screeching in the corner. I didn't think it could get more uncomfortable than the Punk fight. I was wrong, haha.

Rogan is giving Werdum shit for coasting to an easy win...and normally I'd agree. But I'd imagine Werdum is kind of pissed that the fight was even still happening, and I don't blame him. Werdum put on a clinic and did whatever he wanted to Browne. I give him a pass for not trying to finish in this one.

Wow...one judge scored it 29-28.... What???

I hope the main event is amazing because this card has kind of sucked.

Holy shit! Somebody defended their title! lol. Great fight. Great win for Stipe. Stood toe to toe with Overeem, made him get sloppy, and then put a beating on him. Good for Stipe, man. Happy for him. He seems like a good dude.

Daaaamn...Joe Rogan basically called Overeem a liar. Reem trying to say Stipe tapped and "the ref didn't step in". Dick move, Reem.

Crazy card. That referee shall now be called Pocket Lesnar - he looks exactly like Lesnary except a foot shorter.

Sad seeing Faber get worked that way. He looked crappy. I don't understand why he didn't work takedowns and he has a real good guillotine. I don't understand what the gameplan - let him kick you in the legs? Then when he eye poked Rivera, Pocket Lesnar put Rivera in his own corner instead of a neutral one (I liked Joe calling it out, but it didn't really matter).

Punk was mowed down as expected. I guess he was better off being taken down and submitted, that way he wasn't blasted in the stand up with a pulverized face.

I thought the freak show would've been down for the night but then we moved on to Werdum v Browne. The opening kick was amazing. I could watch that forever. Pocket Lesnar fucked up again letting Browne call a time-out. Somebody has to sit down with the referee and teach him the rules.

For a second it seemed like Werdum was gonna go crazy and get DQ'd. He kind of grabbed the ref aggressively. He worked Browne the rest of the fight, but seemed to run out of gas a little. Maybe the adrenaline dump and the time-out messed with him. Edmond losing his voice while screaming was hilarious.

On judge called it 29-28, lol

Werdum turned heel tonight. Did the cry symbol to the crowd as they boo'd. Then he kicked Edmond across the cage. I could also watch that for hours. If only he brought it up about 12 inches into a head kick.

I do wonder if there will be any repercussions because he hit the other coach.

And last and least was the Overeem v Browne fight. Overeem didn't fight the same style he did vs JDS and Arlovski. He was throwing haymakers and then sprinting across the cage. I don't get the lack of kick and working some strikes... why did he just throw 100% punches. Very disappointed in the Reem. Can't believe he decapitated JDS like that and then went out there like this.

Rogan calling him out for the phantom tap complaint was hilarious. "Let's roll back the tape and have a look.... I don't see it. Let's slow it down and do it one more time... where do you see it Alistair? I don't see it? I don't see any taps..." Massive fuck you to the Reem.

That ref you guys are talking about actually lives up the street from me. He worked for the sheriff's department, and I tutored him through an online statistics class. He used to talk about reffing MMA at local events. He said he loved the sport and really wanted to make a career of it. When I saw him last night I had one of those no fucking way moments. Small world sometimes.

This thread has been pretty dead for a few weeks.

To recap the last two weeks:

Remember when Uriah Hall was the new Anderson Silva and was going to put the division on notice?

Hopefully Bigfoot never fights again for his own health.

Roy was a dope and kicked the referee in the back and will likely face somesort of penalty for it.

Cyborg runs over another person who has no idea what they are doing. She then proceeds to call out the smaller division. Cain should call out Machida for his next fight.

Woodley vs Wonderboy at UFC 205

McGregor vs Alvarez at UFC 205

Connor can just pretty much do whatever he wants. This will make the third fight at a different weight class since he won the belt almost 11 months ago. So no matter what the belt will have been left in limbo for at least a year by the time he actually defends it or just throws it away.

Yeah, I feel bad for Lina Lansberg. This was basically just a ticket into the UFC for her. She's a Muay Thai World Champion and can make 135 no problem. And she's pretty cute on top of that. I don't know why the hell she'd want to fight Cyborg. Really, these Cyborg fights are almost as much of a farce as the CM Punk fight...just in the opposite way.

All that's happened is that Cyborg's figured out how to shave off 5 extra pounds and do what she's been doing for years...be that much bigger and that much stronger than every single girl in the cage with her. Not that she doesn't have great skills...but until somebody can match her strength, it just isn't even remotely fair. Lansberg's coach was saying that Cyborg EASILY looked to be about 170 in there. And I don't doubt it. I don't think she's gotten any smaller to make 140. She just figured out how to cut 5 more pounds.

And now Ronda of all people is fanning the flame of fighting her again. It just makes no sense. All that fight would do is wreck any legacy Ronda has left. If Ronda does come back (which, I've heard could be 12/30)...really, she should fight Miesha, Holm, and then a title shot if she gets through those two. Throwing her in immediately against Nunes after this much time away just seems like a recipe for disaster. Even if she deserves an immediate title shot because of who she is or what she did for women's MMA...I just don't think it would be smart to take it.

And yeah, Conor...haha...Conor does what Conor wants because Conor makes the UFC more money than anybody else. Aldo can cry about it all he wants...but he was champion for how long and never understood why it was important to be marketable. He never bothered to learn English. He pulled out of numerous fights. As good as he was, he was a business nightmare. Conor is basically the exact opposite. The guy talks well, fights all the time, and will take on anybody, anywhere. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out why people might be drawn to that.

It is unfair for the Featherweight division (which is reasonably deep). But I feel like Aldo is the damn clog in that whole system. It's almost like he's the Miesha Tate to Conor's Ronda now. Even though he won, it's hard to say if you can sell that fight again. Had Edgar won...or if Holloway or somebody rises up, then you have serious reason to push Conor to do something. But Aldo is just a wet blanket, man. Nobody cared when he was champ. And nobody cares now.

That UFC 205 press conference was hilarious though. Conor is a great entertainer. My two favorites line were "Who the fuck is that guy" and "He's asking why you talking shit" after the question that looks like from a professional reporter but turn out to be a fan.

And yeah, Conor...haha...Conor does what Conor wants because Conor makes the UFC more money than anybody else. Aldo can cry about it all he wants...but he was champion for how long and never understood why it was important to be marketable. He never bothered to learn English. He pulled out of numerous fights. As good as he was, he was a business nightmare. Conor is basically the exact opposite. The guy talks well, fights all the time, and will take on anybody, anywhere. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out why people might be drawn to that.

It is unfair for the Featherweight division (which is reasonably deep). But I feel like Aldo is the damn clog in that whole system. It's almost like he's the Miesha Tate to Conor's Ronda now. Even though he won, it's hard to say if you can sell that fight again. Had Edgar won...or if Holloway or somebody rises up, then you have serious reason to push Conor to do something. But Aldo is just a wet blanket, man. Nobody cared when he was champ. And nobody cares now.
I think it is unfair to talk down about Aldo when he generally regarded as the best featherweight of all time and one of the p4p top 10 MMA fighters of all time. He was a bit injury prone but fought on average twice a year. It is true Aldo doesn't market himself, but he is still one of the best ever. Connor is no picnic to work with either. If he doesn't get what he wants he will just "retire". He just brings in a lot of money with his nonsense.

I wish Edgar had beaten Aldo though, because I think Edgar would run through Connor without much problem. Connor doesn't have the grappling or take down defense that Aldo has. We could've got some nice highlight reel slams like when Edgar dropped Maynard on his head.

In a rematch I think Aldo has a very good chance of winning. Connor obviously won the last fight, but I wouldn't count on that happening again but who knows - we live in a weird world (with Bisping as a champion).

Lineker will never get a title fight ever, he missed weight today for the 5th time in his career.  He wasn't even the worst on he only missed by a half pound, Oliveira missed by 5.5 lbs, weighing 161.5 for a 155 fight, and Will Brooks was pissed.  He wouldn't even look at him for the staredown.

Lineker will never get a title fight ever, he missed weight today for the 5th time in his career. He wasn't even the worst on he only missed by a half pound, Oliveira missed by 5.5 lbs, weighing 161.5 for a 155 fight, and Will Brooks was pissed. He wouldn't even look at him for the staredown.
I thought Dodson won that pretty handily. The only times Lineker landed anything was in the brawl moments. Also the fact he missed weight means he shouldn't get that title shot against Cruz he wants.

Oliveira is a piece of work. Is pretty much a weight class above the guy, gets the win because of an injury and then crotch chops and dances around like a dick. I guess being destroyed by Cerrone who is a weight class below, made him decide to just say screw making weight to see if that wins. Brooks should've not taken the fight and told the guy to pound sand.

So, Mickey Gall got the Sage Northcutt fight he asked for. I gotta say, I don't think it's a good move for Sage. Sure, he's got more experience (barely)...but he got called out by a naturally bigger guy who specializes in Northcutt's biggest weakness. I just don't like that match up for Super Sage. For Gall though, it's brilliant. He gets another big name fighter with the scales probably tipped in his favor...again.

I'm really not sure if I like Mickey Gall yet. In interviews he seem like a nice guy...but for whatever reason, I feel like he has the face of an asshole. I'm not sure if he just looks smug or reminds me of every bully I ever knew or what. But he doesn't LOOK like a humble guy, if that makes any sense.

I see what you mean by Gall. He just comes off like someone who would kick sand in your face. The way he carries himself - kind of like Rockhold.

Excellent fights tonight so far and the main event is coming up. I'm glad that extra punch by Manuwa missed. Usually I don't think much about the extra punch or two before the ref gets in there, but that one by Manuwa looked like it would've put OSP's head through his floor.

Rumor is that Vitor was going to retire tonight. They didn't interview him after he got finished, but maybe he was to rattled at that point.

This whole main event is crazy. Bisping is the champion, Hendo is retiring, and the champion calls out a guy who is ranked #13. What a bizzare situation. I was happy Bisping beat Rockhold, because Rockhold is probably one of the only fighters who comes off my more unlikable than Bisping so it would be pretty amazing to see Hendo getting a title belt on his way out the door.

If he does win he has to retire though. Perfect way to go . Just get the belt. Hold it up and then be like okay I'm done.

49-46? Some craptastic judging. Glad the rest of the main card didn't go to the judges at all. It was close enough that it should be 48-47 or a draw.

That first round should've been a 10-8. Dan landed a nice jab early the cut Bisping almost immediately. Stann and Goldie didn't even catch it and didn't know what caused the cut. Then a few more decent leg kicks and the huge right hand that almost laid out Bisping and led to some nice gnp. Bisping's face looked like someone threw a brick at it.

Judges need to get more liberal with the 10-8's.

Top 10 middleweights must be licking their chops for a chance at Bisping. He survived against the number 13 ranked guy by the very skin of his teeth.

The top four will remove it from him without much issue. I think I want Romero to take it. I don't know if he will be Weidman, but it would be nice to see Romero lay Bisping out. Romero's KO of Machida was crazy.

Bisping's whole run has been weird. He was doing pretty crappy for a while losing to Kennedy, Vitor, Rockhold, etc. Beats a few unranked guys and gets the fight against Silva. Silva completely throws the fight away for some unknown reason after dropping Bisping multiple times and smashing him. That gets Bisping the short notice Rockhold fight. Rockhold in classic douchebag fashion acts like a cock and doesn't take anything serious which leads to Bisping's title. Then he calls out the number 13 guy and gets his faced turned to hamburger and squeaks by.

I can understand 49-46. It's really hard to score that 2nd round, it totally depends how much you value knockdowns vs. more conservative striking. I think 49-46, 48-47, and 47-47 are all realistic scores. 

Glad that Bisping won, I like cheering for him as a heel. He'll probably lose the belt in his next fight, still not really sure how Rockhold managed to lose the belt in the first place.

Rest of the fights tonight were real exciting. Great main card.

I just don't see how the first round wasn't a 10-8. I will have to rewatch it again. Henderson hit Bisping could early on and busted his forehead, landed some decent kicks and then blasted him with the right hand and nearly finished him. Bisping didn't land anything decent that round and mostly just danced around trying to look busy.

Bisping barely landed any decent shots the whole fight. Hendo looked like he just came from a training session at the post fight where as Bisping was carted away to the hospital. Two of Bisping's last three wins have included him getting the crap beat out of him and looking like hamburger where the other guy looks fresh - crazy what the higher output can do with the judges.

I had it

10-8 Hendo

10-9 Hendo

10-9 Bisping

10-9 Bisping

10-9 Bisping

The 2nd and last round were very close and both could've gone either way. Bisping didn't really land anything in the 2nd round. Stann tried to say Dan was hurt at one point in the 2nd - but the only time he looked hurt was when he was kicked in the balls.

I think Dan would've definitely taken the last round if he pushed with one more big flurry at the end instead of the cart wheel.

Why did Hendo end his career on a cartwheel? Actually I think that carthweel may have cost him the fight. If he pushed forward and threw some bombs I think he would've sealed the round. Instead it was him on his back for the last 3 seconds with Bisping in side control landing some gnp. The shots that Bisping landed right then were by far his best of the knight.

When he landed the take down and took the back I was hoping for the same short punch that KO's Fedor, but it seemed like his gas tank was just spent.

At least it was a nice way for Hendo to go out. I had it personally a draw, but could've seen it go either way.

Wow...so allegedly, McGregor got KTFO in sparring today. I'm still a fan of his and I think he's legitimately a good fighter, but he's seriously Ronda Rousey 2.0. Meteoric rise then crash and burn. There's just no way any human being can maintain that kind of pace at the highest level of the sport. It's going to come tumbling down sooner rather than later.

http://www.punditarena.com/mmaufc/jmurphy/top-mma-source-says-conor-mcgregor-knocked-cold-sparring
Did you even read the whole thing? He later posted he was given false info.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

It was probably updated after he posted it. I saw numerous reports all throughout the day about McGregor being KO'd and recently it was only debunked.

Not that I try to follow all the twitter wannabe reporters. They are always on there spouting off whatever they here. Everything has to be taken with a grain of salt. I can't see a teammates giving out info to people. That kind of stuff must be grounds to be kicked out of a gym. I've trained here and there with a few mid-card UFC guys in the past and it would never enter my mind to go online and tell people what happened when rolling during a practice.

Yeah, sorry. I started typing that right after I saw the initial article. Breaking news and all that, ya know. Glad to hear it wasn't true. I'd hate to see something stupid compromise that fight at all.

So Ronda is back before the end of the year. I don't know how I feel about her getting a title shot right away, but with how the UFC rolls it isn't a surprise.

This is kind of a make or break moment for her career. She got horribly KO'd in her last fight and if she gets steamrolled this time it will nearly destroy her brand. At that point she is just better retiring and keeping her name value high. Nunes' style is not at all like Holly's, so that may work in Ronda's favor. Nunes seems to go in there wanting to throw bombs without much worry for anything else, that may lead to her getting Judo tossed on her head and finished.

Holly's style was tailor made to to exploit the gaping holes in Ronda's game. This one will be a little bit more interesting. Same time Ronda has been gone for a year and still trains with Edmond which is a huge hindrance to her and means that her problems are exactly the same they were a year ago. If Werdum KO'd Edmond a few months ago Ronda would be better off.

So Ronda is back before the end of the year. I don't know how I feel about her getting a title shot right away, but with how the UFC rolls it isn't a surprise.

This is kind of a make or break moment for her career. She got horribly KO'd in her last fight and if she gets steamrolled this time it will nearly destroy her brand. At that point she is just better retiring and keeping her name value high. Nunes' style is not at all like Holly's, so that may work in Ronda's favor. Nunes seems to go in there wanting to throw bombs without much worry for anything else, that may lead to her getting Judo tossed on her head and finished.

Holly's style was tailor made to to exploit the gaping holes in Ronda's game. This one will be a little bit more interesting. Same time Ronda has been gone for a year and still trains with Edmond which is a huge hindrance to her and means that her problems are exactly the same they were a year ago. If Werdum KO'd Edmond a few months ago Ronda would be better off.
Well, I think she deserves it because without Ronda, there would be no women in the UFC. On top of that...she is still the only person to successfully defend that title.

That said...unless her training is off the charts and her takedowns and submissions are the best they've ever been, I don't think she SHOULD have taken this fight. If she's still pretending to be a boxing champion and listening to Edmond's retarded ass, she's going to get mauled.

Ronda is a super talented fighter and was a legitimate champion. But if she sticks with a coach who steers her in the wrong direction, it's just a waste of her talents. I still think Ronda has the skillset to beat Holly Holm and I think she has the skillset to beat Nunes. But it's 100% contingent on having the right approach and fighting smart.

So, word is that GSP is no longer an employee of the UFC. His lawyer apparently succeeded in getting his old contract terminated and St. Pierre is now a free agent. Now, I'm sure most are thinking BELLATORRRRR!!! But I wonder if this is just posturing. A big sticking point for the negotiations was the fact that the old contract was made before the Reebok deal...meaning that GSP was getting sponsor money in addition to his UFC pay.

If the old contract is completely dead, you'd think this would open up the door to negotiate fresh. Granted, that would also mean not a champion's salary either. But who knows. Maybe St. Pierre takes his talents to Japan and fights tomato cans like Fedor. :lol:

bread's done
Back