Mortal Kombat (9) - Ripping People in half NOW - 8.6 metacritic

8bitArtist

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
holy shit. i havent played a MK since 3 in the arcades. my youth just rushed right back into me. this game is going to be awesome. i cant wait to play online. i can dominate the first 4 on expert pretty handily with scorpion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, that demo was sick. It definitely has the potential to be one of the better games in the series... I'm glad they took it back to the basics.

Was thinking about making this thread. I have been hyped for the game and the demo is amazing for me. Very much old school MK. It is the most fun I've had with a fighting game in a while. I think this is a must purchase.

Played with all the characters... great stuff.

I agree with everyone here. I played it last night, man it brought back memories. I am going to purchase it on day one. Lots of MK kick assness!

heres a list of all the characters. no real surprises though

1. Baraka
2. Cyrax
3. Ermac
4. Goro
5. Jade
6. Jax
7. Johnny Cage
8. Kabal
9. Kano
10. Kintaro
11. Kitana
12. Kung Lao
13. Lui Kang
14. Mileena
15. Nightwolf
16. Noob
17. Raiden
18. Reptile
19. Scorpion
20. Sektor
21. Shang Tsung
22. Sheeva
23. Sindel
24. Smoke
25. Sonya
26. Stryker
27. Sub Zero
28. Quan Chi

PS3 Bonus:
29. Kratos

[quote name='Vinny']Oh man... I still suck at fighting games.:p[/QUOTE]

You are not the only one. The main difference with this fighting game is I still have fun even when I get dominated.

I too enjoyed the demo a lot. I suck at fighting games too, but I'm A LOT better at MK than MVC. Combos with Johnny Cage were a breeze. I wasn't really planning to pick this up, but the demo might've changed my mind.

The roster posted above is decent, shame there are none of the newer characters except Quan Chi (?), but I guess it's part of the whole back to basics thing.

there will be DLC as well. im sure thats gonna round out the roster better. i just hope they arent $5 a piece like MvC3.

also, since i never played anything past 3, that roster feels like home. i dont even know who quan chi is. also, quan chi you have to unlock. he isnt available from the start.

As long as I have a Scorpion or SubZero, I feel alright (having not played any MKs since 4 maybe). I am also looking forward to taking Baraka out for a spin again... :lol:

[quote name='Saint Noir']Pretty small compared to most. Just under 600 MB, I think. 570 or so.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info.

One character is missing from this list (discovered through the hidden trophies), though he was left out since I guess hes a major part of the story.

For those who don't know:
Cyber Sub-Zero

The PS3 tournament edition is OOS on Amazon and Gamestop. Any Xbox owners should preorder at GS now while you can since it's limited to 20,000 units.

[quote name='Donut2922']The PS3 tournament edition is OOS on Amazon and Gamestop. Any Xbox owners should preorder at GS now while you can since it's limited to 20,000 units.[/QUOTE]

Good thing I put my preorder for the ps3 version. Im still going to wait for reviews on the stick since I'm a huge MK fan but I have like three arcade sticks already in the house and I don't want another but the old mk arcade layout is awesome. My wife saw the millennia fatality and was WTF are you playing, lol.

[quote name='ryosnk']Good thing I put my preorder for the ps3 version. Im still going to wait for reviews on the stick since I'm a huge MK fan but I have like three arcade sticks already in the house and I don't want another but the old mk arcade layout is awesome. My wife saw the millennia fatality and was WTF are you playing, lol.[/QUOTE]

hah. my wife was bugging me to lookup how to do the Scorpion fatality. she was WTF do it already! lol :D

I love how they get beat down during the rounds... I like that they just get up after a round for the next round. I like everything I've seen on this game... :lol:

Maybe I'm not as big on fighting games as I used to be, but I thought the demo was just avg. It just didn't seem to evolve much from old MK games which is a good or bad thing depending on what you want, and the visuals could have been a little better. The movements felt pretty rigid to me, as were the movesets. It wasn't bad by any stretch, I just didn't think it was all that great either.

[quote name='Vinny']Oh man... I still suck at fighting games.:p[/QUOTE]

+1

But it was still really fun!

[quote name='ssjmichael']It just didn't seem to evolve much from old MK games which is a good or bad thing depending on what you want.[/QUOTE]

From what I gather, they made a conscious effort to devolve (if that's a word) to bring the gameplay back to the classic MK feel. I've never been good at fighting games and I never will but something about MK is still fun even while getting a thorough beatdown.

ah, thanks for that insight. I wish I was better at fighting games myself.

I really like that they added a challenge tower too, sounds like a lot of fun and lots of replay value for the game.

[quote name='QiG']From what I gather, they made a conscious effort to devolve (if that's a word) to bring the gameplay back to the classic MK feel. I've never been good at fighting games and I never will but something about MK is still fun even while getting a thorough beatdown.[/QUOTE]

hit it right on the head. MK doesnt need any evolution. just look at the past games. this was a reboot back to the basics of what made it fun back in the late 90s. picking this up day 1. cant wait to slice you all in half. :)

Played the demo. This game went from a "maybe I'll pick it up when I can find it for around $10" to "Must buy day one".

I'm diggin the X-ray hits.. and the fatalities of course. the graphics and color look phenom! Gameplay is tight too.. I've got 2 tournament editions preordered. One will go for sale and probably cover most of the cost of the one I'm keeping. There also sold out on Buy.com

Walmart and Best Buy are still selling them.. Walmart might end up screwing people like they did me on the Ultimate God of War III .. oversold stock then canceled my order saying they didn't have them to fulfill the order.. Luckily I ordered 5 of them as a group order for friends.. So they sent me 5 regular editions for free for the error. Not a bad deal considering found out how shitty pandoras box was afterwards

I'm the only one that enjoyed the recent 3d movement MK's? I remember in a 7-11 my friend beat a person doing a fatality in the Mk1 game and got punched in the face because of that. And the guy (he had 5 other thugs with him) yelling out to us, try beating me up in real life. The store manager called the cops and they left running. LoL good times!

I have to say the videos online made the game look better than what it does to me. However I love this game and I am glad I have the TE preordered. I wish I would have preordered it for the 360 also but I didn't so unless some place gets more or I can track one down I wont be getting it.

The move list is posted online and it could be just from playing other fighters seems lacking to me. I'm glad they are not that hard to do but just does not seem like you have to do much to do the move. It also seems like it is missing moves as I expected more. Once I remember what this game is I'm glad it has what it has as I really do hate when you have a large number of moves/combos for each character and a large button combo to do them.

Also for anyone watching the video at the end did Shang Tsung change into Sonya? I only got a quick look at it but that is what it looked like to me.

Yeah. Shang gets his morph on which is AWESOME. Just no idea if you can only morph to your opponent (or maybe who are loaded up for tags). Be interested to find this out. Some morph is better than no morph. Can't have the FULL roster loaded up for morph. Maybe it will be a few guys.

Well it sure isn't just your opponent. In the video he didn't morph into his opponent. I would be happy with it being only a selected few that you have to pick.

[quote name='sendme']Well it sure isn't just your opponent. In the video he didn't morph into his opponent. I would be happy with it being only a selected few that you have to pick.[/QUOTE]

Yeah... he is fighting Sonya and morphs into Sonya. That is if you are referring to the video at the end of the demo.

Yeah I am. I didn't think it was her he was fighting. I will play it again and see if I can get a better look at it. First time I was looking up the move lists online when I turned back and saw it.

I'm betting that is what it is. Looks like it will be just who he is fighting as it is part of a move. I wonder if you can change back. Still better than no morph at all. I thought it was Kitana because that is who I saw before I saw him do the move.

I'm now wondering how tag will work with the stick as it only has 5 buttons on it.

I'm impressed... I really like the fighting and the simple combos. It reminds me of MvC3, but the moves have MK's traditional inputs. I like the game a lot. I'm really enjoying the fighting.. it feels like Motal Kombat Deception in terms of their move sets. In MK Deception everyone had 3 stances, 2 martial art sets (stance) and then you had your weapon stance, and in MKD you had to combo through the 3 stances.

[quote name='sendme']I'm now wondering how tag will work with the stick as it only has 5 buttons on it.[/QUOTE]

There are input shortcuts for tag, throw and stance switch. I know throw is 1+3. Pretty sure stance switch is 3+4 and tag will be 2+4.

Anyway, I am very excited about the game but I hope the demo was a very early build. I like the way it plays, the graphics and fatalities shown so far but there are infinites and x-ray does too much damage in the demo.

i havent seen 1 infinite combo posted anywhere on the net. also, the game is being QAd by dudes who are pros at fighting games, so exploits should be minimal.

Also that demo might be an old build. I'm now kicking my self for not getting the TE set on the 360 also. Would be nice if you could get the stick on its own at some point.

Just pre-ordered two of the TE editions from Walmart (one to keep and one to hopefully cover the cost of the other). I'm so excited for this damn game.

[quote name='8bitArtist']to the people buying multiple TE's, do you actually think youll be able to sell yours for twice the amount you bought it for?[/QUOTE]

I don't expect to sell it for straight up double, but I do expect to be able to sell it for enough to cover around half the cost of the one I'm keeping. There are sellers on Amazon already selling units for $270~.

I love the game, but it can be cheap as hell when you put the game on the hardest difficulty setting. The computer pulls of some crazy ass combos!

bread's done
Back