Mortal Kombat (9) - Ripping People in half NOW - 8.6 metacritic

[quote name='Thomas96']I love the game, but it can be cheap as hell when you put the game on the hardest difficulty setting. The computer pulls of some crazy ass combos![/QUOTE]

Go back and play MKII. I went back and played some of that over the weekend and my friends and I all got rolled by the AI. Non-stop spamming of punches , counters, and throws, even on the easiest difficulty. I remember being like nine and being the shit at the game but now I'm horrendous.

[quote name='SEH']Go back and play MKII. I went back and played some of that over the weekend and my friends and I all got rolled by the AI. Non-stop spamming of punches , counters, and throws, even on the easiest difficulty. I remember being like nine and being the shit at the game but now I'm horrendous.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I could beat the original MK and MKII with a few characters back in the day but I'm terrible now. I don't know why. Probably because I've played so few fighting games since the SNES. I think I only played SoulCalibur and Dead or Alive, that's pretty much it and those games aren't exactly difficult.

I really did like the demo though. It felt so damn good pulling off a Fatality... I can't get any combos down though except for the 2-3 hit ones.

[quote name='Thomas96']I love the game, but it can be cheap as hell when you put the game on the hardest difficulty setting. The computer pulls of some crazy ass combos![/QUOTE]

the hardest difficulty isnt all that hard. i mean scorp and sub dont even combo you that much when they spear/freeze. if you cant handle expert, youre going to get decimated online

[quote name='8bitArtist']the hardest difficulty isnt all that hard. i mean scorp and sub dont even combo you that much when they spear/freeze. if you cant handle expert, youre going to get decimated online[/QUOTE]

I never really got into playing fighting games online against randoms. Its just not fun to me to play against some dude who plays the game 24/7 and can do every combo in his sleep. I'd rather play against friends who I can bullshit/talk trash with.

[quote name='8bitArtist']he can do combos, he must have no life and play all the time! hahahaha c'mon man.[/QUOTE]

Because there aren't people that play the game all day online. I enjoy playing people who don't take the game so serious. I dont give a shit if I have a certain rating or some garbage like that. Don't be so butthurt man.

honestly, the vast majority of people DONT play online all day. yeah, youll run into the hardcore online, but the majority is going to be middle of the road players. MK isnt a tournament fighter game like mvc3 and ssf4.

butthurt? seriously? who is the one complaining about not being able to play online against someone who isnt on their friends list.

im just stating the FACT that just because someone can do a big ole 5 hit combo and understands the game mechanics even slightly, doesnt mean its all they play and never turn there ps3 off unless they are going to sleep.

[quote name='8bitArtist']honestly, the vast majority of people DONT play online all day. yeah, youll run into the hardcore online, but the majority is going to be middle of the road players. MK isnt a tournament fighter game like mvc3 and ssf4.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='8bitArtist']if you cant handle expert, youre going to get decimated online[/QUOTE]

Uhh?

Also, not really sure why you are taking issue with me wanting to play online with friends more than randoms.

anyone who has a basic concept of their character of choice can beat expert (at least the 1st 4 they offer in the demo). so my statement still stands as middle of the road players (ones that can do some combos, knows when to use xray, etc...) can beat expert (again, at least the first 4 people on the ladder). i played the demo maybe 2-3 hours total messing around and trying out some special moves and expert isnt hard.

the issue is, just because someone can do combos and understands how their character plays, you think they play 24/7. they dont. do they play more than you, yeah, probably, but very few and i mean very few will be playing all day every day.

My past experiences with online fighting games are the majority of people playing online, for the most part, play the game a LOT. Sorry if I'd rather play casually against my friends. I'll drop it though as I can see you really take my comments close to heart and they seemingly offend you in some way.

im not taking anything to heart. i joked about your post saying how if they can do some combos they must play nonstop and you get defensive and call me butthurt. you seem to have the typical "oh i got beat online, this kid must play all the time" mentality. playing with your friends is fine, no one said it wasnt.

[quote name='8bitArtist']the hardest difficulty isnt all that hard. i mean scorp and sub dont even combo you that much when they spear/freeze. if you cant handle expert, youre going to get decimated online[/QUOTE]

it got tough with match 5 where it was Scorpion vs Scorpion... I got past the other matches pretty well, but that last match was a killer for me. I'm alright with whatever combos the computer throws at me as long as its possible for someone to replicate that combo.

Expert in the demo was a lot easier than I expected it to be. I'm sure the later fights and bosses will be rough in the full game though.

Looks better than I expected. Glad I went with the TE as I will use the hell out of the stick.

[quote name='SEH']Heres a new trailer for Kratos that is up on IGN.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/115/1157194p1.html

Looks pretty cool. I will say, if that's his fatality he hits on Sindel around 45 seconds, it's kind of lame.[/QUOTE]

I think thats only the first part of his fatality, they didnt show the 2nd part. Maybe after she is on her knees he cuts her head off with the chains of olympus, like he does to the barbarian in god of war cut scenes.

[quote name='Josh5890']Is it just me or was the Expert difficulty really really really really really really really really easy?[/QUOTE]

nope, not just you.

kratos' 1 fatality needs to be a face pummel with the Nemean Cestus

Yeah releasing DLC info before a game comes out just makes the companies look greedy, like they held stuff back to nickel and dime you later. This might not be the case, maybe these characters arent fully finished to make it into the game, but still if we are on the outside looking in, they just end up looking greedy.

Will the stick have any real use other than this game? It seems like a HUGE waste for a stick that you can only play with one fighting game. Atleast with my SF4 TE stick I can play MVC2/3 and most of the SNK games.

pic of the roster
MK9SELECT-620x.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='8bitArtist']rumor are stating that this game is jumping on the online pass code bandwagon[/QUOTE]

Well due to used game sales do you really blame them? I see no issue with having to put in a code that comes with a new copy of a game. However I do tend to buy new and not used.

[quote name='sendme']Well due to used game sales do you really blame them? I see no issue with having to put in a code that comes with a new copy of a game. However I do tend to buy new and not used.[/QUOTE]

I feel the same way. I don't get the people that buy used games that are relatively new at Gamestop as in 99% of cases, the used version is only $5 cheaper than a new copy. Yeah, you're saving $5, but for most online games now, you then have to buy a $10 or $15 online pass. Why not just pony up for the new copy?

Oh, and IGN posted this as well:

http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/03/30/mortal-kombat-fight-stick-first-look-video

How big is this demo? The videos I've seen thus far of this game have me kinda itching to try this, but I'll probably hold off till this is $20-30 at most either way.

As for the online pass thing, I don't plan on playing multiplayer at all anyway, unless it's in the same room with friends.

From that character select screen that was posted by 8BitArtist yesterday it looks like there's a good number of characters coming back from prior games. I had thought they were supposed to trim the number of fighters down significantly.

[quote name='sendme']Well due to used game sales do you really blame them? I see no issue with having to put in a code that comes with a new copy of a game. However I do tend to buy new and not used.[/QUOTE]

No I hate the online pass shit. My brother and I have a 2 PS3s and its dumb that I would have to pay another $10 just so we can both play online

[quote name='JG5253']No I hate the online pass shit. My brother and I have a 2 PS3s and its dumb that I would have to pay another $10 just so we can both play online[/QUOTE]

Ah...that is kind of shitty I guess.

Meh. I just got done playing that teaser of a demo and this is gonna be a $20 game for me.

Four one-on-one fights and then they cut away to that teaser trailer.:roll:

Totally worth the time it took on my shitty DSL connection to download.....NOT!

[quote name='SEH']I feel the same way. I don't get the people that buy used games that are relatively new at Gamestop as in 99% of cases, the used version is only $5 cheaper than a new copy. Yeah, you're saving $5, but for most online games now, you then have to buy a $10 or $15 online pass. Why not just pony up for the new copy?

Oh, and IGN posted this as well:

http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/03/30/mortal-kombat-fight-stick-first-look-video[/QUOTE]

The more I see of that stick the more I want it. Glad I have it on preorder. Only 2 things I'm not liking about it is you have 18 screws if you want to change something and it is really only good for MK games. However from what I keep seeing it seems to be really well made and worth the price.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']From that character select screen that was posted by 8BitArtist yesterday it looks like there's a good number of characters coming back from prior games. I had thought they were supposed to trim the number of fighters down significantly.[/QUOTE]

Went back and are only using all the ones from MK to UMK 3 and adding a few more that were in the games but could not be played as. Also adding some due to changes in the story. Hell I'm surprised they have the number they do. I thought it was going to be less.

[quote name='JG5253']No I hate the online pass shit. My brother and I have a 2 PS3s and its dumb that I would have to pay another $10 just so we can both play online[/QUOTE]

Ok I will admit this is the bad side of it. However before the PS3 came out I was reading that you would have cd keys like on the PC so at least all you have to do now is pay and extra 10 bucks. Sure it sucks but the developers now see how much they stand to lose just from used game sales and want some of that action. You can't blame them.

If its anything like the smackdown vs raw pass you can just gameshare it.

[quote name='sendme']The more I see of that stick the more I want it. Glad I have it on preorder. Only 2 things I'm not liking about it is you have 18 screws if you want to change something and it is really only good for MK games. However from what I keep seeing it seems to be really well made and worth the price.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that plastic covering has a shitload of screws. I've already got all my replacement parts I want to put in, so it should be fun sitting there for 15 minutes just unscrewing the cover.

[quote name='sendme']Ok I will admit this is the bad side of it. However before the PS3 came out I was reading that you would have cd keys like on the PC so at least all you have to do now is pay and extra 10 bucks. Sure it sucks but the developers now see how much they stand to lose just from used game sales and want some of that action. You can't blame them.[/QUOTE]
Between companies releasing glitchy as hell games that should've been further polished before release (coughcoughnewvegascoughcough) and companies releasing DLC on the release date for a game I can see why many people would be irked by the $10 pass.

Maybe the people who traded these games and added to the used market traded them because they kept freezing or glitching? To me any game that the devs hold back content on or don't make it so it's not a glitchfest need to go out of business.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Meh. I just got done playing that teaser of a demo and this is gonna be a $20 game for me.

Four one-on-one fights and then they cut away to that teaser trailer.:roll:

Totally worth the time it took on my shitty DSL connection to download.....NOT![/QUOTE]

I'm in the same boat as you. $20 and it's mine. Then again, I said the same thing for Marvel vs Capcom 3. I might push MvC3 up to $30 :D

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Between companies releasing glitchy as hell games that should've been further polished before release (coughcoughnewvegascoughcough) and companies releasing DLC on the release date for a game I can see why many people would be irked by the $10 pass.

Maybe the people who traded these games and added to the used market traded them because they kept freezing or glitching? To me any game that the devs hold back content on or don't make it so it's not a glitchfest need to go out of business.[/QUOTE]

if i bought bulletstorm used and had to buy an online pass only to find out the online is completely broken and doesnt work, id be pissed.

[quote name='8bitArtist']if i bought bulletstorm used and had to buy an online pass only to find out the online is completely broken and doesnt work, id be pissed.[/QUOTE]
That's why I'd check various sources to see if the game is good online if there's a one time use code BEFORE I end up using it for nothing.:D

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Between companies releasing glitchy as hell games that should've been further polished before release (coughcoughnewvegascoughcough) and companies releasing DLC on the release date for a game I can see why many people would be irked by the $10 pass.

Maybe the people who traded these games and added to the used market traded them because they kept freezing or glitching? To me any game that the devs hold back content on or don't make it so it's not a glitchfest need to go out of business.[/QUOTE]

I hate when paid DLC comes out in the first 3 months of the game coming out. I liked the way ME 2 did it with the online pass. I really think the 2 new characters that are going to be downloadable after MK comes out should be free if you have the pass. Them and maybe one or 2 more. That way it would even out to about what the pass costs.

As for the games being glitchy when they come out that is every game no matter how much testing is done. Some are small and the player will never see them however some are ones that just cause you to stop playing. The really bad ones that end up locking up the game, deleting saves, leting people get kill after kill in multiplayer and never get hit or any other that just makes you say fuck this game are the ones I have an issue with. However the devs can always fix the issue with an update. The thing is they have to fix it and put out the update and some just don't do that.

I think with the pass you should get some free content but I see no issue with it unless you have more than one system and account in your house. However even then if they are both owned by different people both could buy the game.

id rather have an online code give you extra stuff (like bfbc2) than just restrict you to no online play at all.

i know itll never happen, but the best way i think to combat the used game market is this: every new game bought has a code to download all the future dlc for said game for free. if i was able to get all the dlc for free on all the games i bought new, id still own them all. instead, they all went to the wayside as used games.

Downloadable content doesn't really matter much to me though, unless it's something like a TON of extra missions or a whole other storyline(GTA Episodes, RDR Undead Nightmare, Red Faction Guerrilla: Demons Of The Badlands). Then it's worth the money to me.

But there's far too many packs out there that add fluff items or strictly online multiplayer perks which are totally useless if you don't plan on playing that mp or using those items in game. Moreover far too many of those packs are wayyyy overpriced imo and you're stuck with them with no way to resell them if you get bored of them.

That's why I bought the GTA Episodes/Undead Nightmare on DISC format, since at least if I get bored with it I can always resell it and let someone else enjoy it.

bread's done
Back