N64 game case project - live!

I'll get those up for you today Valeman. I also put covers up for Viewtiful Joe and Beyond Good and Evil. I am going to go through my console collection and do all of them. That should give the standard consoles a nice boost. I'd like to also convert them to slimline versions by just replacing the spin. Now that would be sweet.

[quote name='4tygames']Snowcone, you want the standard cover inserts for GameCube games?

I have like 60 games that I could do.

Not till next week though.[/QUOTE]

For sure. I figured since we are such perfectionists we could just do covers for everything. Standard console games would be a good start and then we could shrink the spines and make slimline versions. One thing I noticed when I talked to SMMM this morning is that apparently the PS2 covers we have might be a little narrow and not fill out the game cases. We need to check this as the 2 covers I did for GC might be wrong and I mailed the games out to CAGers last night. Thoughts?

I'm too busy converting N64 manuals into pdf's to do anything other than N64 stuff at present.

Plus I dont own a PS2 or XBox so no real need for DVD covers in that regard. It's hard enough covering the bill for my N64/NDS habit..... :)

What I do know is that slimline DVD cases are a bitch when converting spines to as often the writing font size alone exceeds the width of a slim case. It's almost a requirement to actually create a generic spine for these or just put up with overlap onto the front/rear.

OH MY GOSH!!!!!

I don't believe this myself but six months after ordering some PAL games that never arrived what turns up? ...... Armorines-Project SWARM PAL ...

Yep .... I sold the last of my PAL stuff off months ago. So these will go up for sale on the local auction site as I have no way of using them. Still .... we get to complete two more games .... the other being Castlevania PAL.

Hey. After over a month, I finally managed to get my hands on another scanner. This time, I was certain that it scanned at 300 dpi, and the end results were so much better than with my other scanner. Anyways, I redid the Pokemon Puzzle League US box, and uploaded it again. I guess you can take another look. If you have any problems with this new one, be sure to tell me:

[URL="http://

[quote name='ajnrules']Hey. After over a month, I finally managed to get my hands on another scanner. This time, I was certain that it scanned at 300 dpi, and the end results were so much better than with my other scanner. Anyways, I redid the Pokemon Puzzle League US box, and uploaded it again. I guess you can take another look. If you have any problems with this new one, be sure to tell me:

[URL="http://

I haven't contributed anything (or download anything) in awhile, so I just bought all these boxes and will scan them in... didn't see 4ty post about the games he bought, luckily I only bought san francisco rush as a duplicate of what he bought. This is what I will be able to scan in as soon as they come in (I'm going to vegas for 5 days so if they don't come till late next week it'll be another week after that - 18ish - before I scan them).

Nate

(ALL NTSC)
Off Road Challenge
Mickey's Speedway
Scooby-Doo
Pokemon Puzzle League
Winback
San Francisco Rush
Namco Museum
Supercross 2000
California Speed
NHL Blades Of Steel 99
Bass Hunter
Rampage 2
Road Rash 64

[quote name='nate1749']I haven't contributed anything (or download anything) in awhile, so I just bought all these boxes and will scan them in... didn't see 4ty post about the games he bought, luckily I only bought san francisco rush as a duplicate of what he bought. This is what I will be able to scan in as soon as they come in (I'm going to vegas for 5 days so if they don't come till late next week it'll be another week after that - 18ish - before I scan them).

Nate

Off Road Challenge
Mickey's Speedway
Scooby-Doo
Pokemon Puzzle League
Winback
San Francisco Rush
Namco Museum
Supercross 2000
California Speed
NHL Blades Of Steel 99
Bass Hunter
Rampage 2
Road Rash 64[/quote]

Wow!!! Good to see you around Nate :)

Can you look into UKBeats as the username/password doesn't work for anyone [ unless you've fixed it recently in which case no problemmo]

Man ... I got the US version of San Francisco Rush months ago and thought I'd scanned it already..... Doh!!!!

Oh well ..... mines a pretty much mint box so if you guys get your boxes through and they're not in good condition let me know and I'll convert it.

ill look into ukbeats as soon as i can, im still at work as of the moment! Trying to get ready for this trade show in vegas, but i promise i'll get it fixed!

oh and likewise valeman, I haven't been here in awhile and was afraid that you may have left. I used to frequent this thread everyday when I had my corporate job, but now that I run a small company I just don't have the time! I'll do another big buy before christmas too, I want this project finished before it hits the 2 year mark! THanks for all the contributions from everyone =)

Nate

[quote name='nate1749']ill look into ukbeats as soon as i can, im still at work as of the moment! Trying to get ready for this trade show in vegas, but i promise i'll get it fixed!

oh and likewise valeman, I haven't been here in awhile and was afraid that you may have left. I used to frequent this thread everyday when I had my corporate job, but now that I run a small company I just don't have the time! I'll do another big buy before christmas too, I want this project finished before it hits the 2 year mark! THanks for all the contributions from everyone =)

Nate[/QUOTE]

haha, that'd be great. I really should start building up my N64 collection again to take advantage of these boxes. I only have around 6 or 7 games =p

[quote name='SMMM']haha, that'd be great. I really should start building up my N64 collection again to take advantage of these boxes. I only have around 6 or 7 games =p[/quote]

With all the buying I've done to get covers for the cause I've amassed some 68 odd games ..... only 35 of which I have mediashelving cases for. So if anyone wants to send me one or two cases for all the hard work I've done ... ;)

Hey .... if you dont ask ......

UPDATE: As far as instruction manuals go ......

http://imageshack.us

There's 27 completed to date. Pic shows metadata for the manual.

wow nice job valeman. Have you ever been to replacementdocs?
This is the direct link for n64 manuals, but they have other systems too. I'm also trying to remeber another site that had torrents for manuals, hmmm.
http://www.replacementdocs.com/download.php?list.12

Also, I fixed ukbeats... I just deleted the whole thing and started over. This time there is no login to add pictures so anyone can just add them by going there and clicking on the album, then click "add photo" no need to login.

Nate

[quote name='nate1749']wow nice job valeman. Have you ever been to replacementdocs?
This is the direct link for n64 manuals, but they have other systems too. I'm also trying to remeber another site that had torrents for manuals, hmmm.
http://www.replacementdocs.com/download.php?list.12

Also, I fixed ukbeats... I just deleted the whole thing and started over. This time there is no login to add pictures so anyone can just add them by going there and clicking on the album, then click "add photo" no need to login.

Nate[/quote]

Yep ... been to replacementdocs but found most of the manuals were scanned at really low-res so they looked "not so good" and lots were just slammed together so the pages were not straight etc. The only hi-res one that looked good is the Perfect Dark one I have in my lot until I get a copy at which point I'll replace it.

I came to the conclusion that if we're going to document the boxes for prosperity then I may as well do the same in a consistent manner for the manuals. So I scan the manuals at 300dpi [English only], straighten and resize to 1024x7xx res, color correct and merge into a pdf. In the case of F-Zero X I also included the Operation card. And I also clean up when things need it .... so a fair amount of work is involved.

I still have around 100 more manuals to do in my present lot so it's a work in progress. If UKBeats accepts pdf's I can fire one up for you to look at :)

Note: Being tht they are 300dpi s the common screen rez 75dpi they can be quite a bit bigger .... anywhere up to 20mb's in size.

Think I accidentally found something useful.

If you go to

http://www.snackbar-games.com/uploads/

it lists all of your covers that are in Queue and links to them. Pretty awesome for me since it helps me keep track of what's going on, and it gives me easy access to my covers if they haven't been displayed yet....even though I don't think it was intentional.

http://www.snackbar-games.com/uploads/TheValeman

That would Valeman's

http://www.snackbar-games.com/uploads/SMMM

And this is mine. yaay

started scanning mine in and then I realized that I was doing them at 300dpi, is this still the standard or should I bump it up to 600 or somethihg higher? Not sure if some of the parameters of this project changed. Before I do them all, let me know...

Also, does anyone have a quicky and easy photoshop guide for making these covers better (saturation and contract and all that jazz... I have read the terms, but don't know how to change stuff). I have some books on photoshop, but they're so big and it's like finding a needle in a haystack. Although perhaps I should just go with paintshop pro since the guide seems pretty handy that we have. Going to sleep now 4am in Chicago =)

Nate

[quote name='TheValeman']That's downright sneaky ..... but cool too!!!!

UPDATE: Snowcone's updated Snack-bar with the latest covers.[/QUOTE]

That thing you guys found is actually a neat thing our webhost does. Instead of automatically throwing a 404 it attempts to find files that match your request. Feel free to use it however.

[quote name='4tygames']Snowcone, you want the standard cover inserts for GameCube games?[/QUOTE]

I would be in the debt of anyone who would be able to scan a non-PC Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door. It's the *only* PC/GH/PH game I have that I can't find an insert for, so if someone can get a scan, I figure I can just have it printed. Anyone? :)

[quote name='nate1749']started scanning mine in and then I realized that I was doing them at 300dpi, is this still the standard or should I bump it up to 600 or somethihg higher? Not sure if some of the parameters of this project changed. Before I do them all, let me know...

Also, does anyone have a quicky and easy photoshop guide for making these covers better (saturation and contract and all that jazz... I have read the terms, but don't know how to change stuff). I have some books on photoshop, but they're so big and it's like finding a needle in a haystack. Although perhaps I should just go with paintshop pro since the guide seems pretty handy that we have. Going to sleep now 4am in Chicago =)

Nate[/quote]

I use Paintshop Pro so I cant help you there .... but scan the boxes @ 300dpi and if you want me to do them drop them onto UKBeats and I'll take it from there. As far as contrast goes .... I tend to adjust manually to get the on-screen color looking as close to the box as possible so there's no one setting generally that applies in all cases....

I just got back from a week in the New Mexico wilderness. When I got home, I found the 5 n64 games I bought. These games look like they were never used and the boxes are in pristine condition except that there was like a rental sticker that was removed on each of the front of the boxes. There are a couple of boxes (F1 Pole Position and Wayne Gretzky's 3D Hockey 98) that suffered a little bit of damage from the sticker, but I think that can easily be repairable in Photoshop.

I will scan and get the boxes up as soon as possible.

No worries .... hope you had a good break. Recharges the life batteries eh :)

If you want me to convert them make sure you dont crop too close to the edge of the box as I prefer to clean up edges as opposed to cropping.

Note that I'm away this weekend so any converting would take place next week as I'm taking the family to see the final Lord of the Rings and Constable art exhibitions before it closes next weekend.....

Well, I've finally scanned my Harvest Moon 64 box, and I toyed around with its contrast. I don't know if it's any good, so I haven't uploaded it onto Snack-bar yet. Anyways, I'll let you check it out:

Harvest Moon 64 box

[quote name='ajnrules']Well, I've finally scanned my Harvest Moon 64 box, and I toyed around with its contrast. I don't know if it's any good, so I haven't uploaded it onto Snack-bar yet. Anyways, I'll let you check it out:

Harvest Moon 64 box[/QUOTE]

looks good to me. Might want to try the auto contrast like Valeman does, though.

All right, I have the box scans up. I am leaving for college on Thursday and I definitely want Tetrisphere and San Francisco Rush so I can put those games in cases. I don't really care about the other 3 games, so if anyone wants them, let me know.

F1 Pole Position - Scan 1 Scan 2

Mace: The Dark Age - Scan 1 Scan 2

San Francisco Rush - Scan 1 Scan 2

Tetrisphere - Scan 1 Scan 2

Wayne Gretzky's 3D Hockey '98 - Scan 1 Scan 2

If there are any problems with the scans, let me know and I will rescan them.

I will get the n64 list updated soon!

Sorry 4tygames but I wont be able to get Rush done for you as your boxes have sticker residue on them which I have to work out a way to deal with background discoloration as a result. In fact I think I may be better off scanning my box which is mint and converting that one.

In the meantime I've converted some of Schenley's.... those being

Mortal Kombat Mythologies - Sub Zero

Rush 2 - Extreme Racing USA

Razor Freestyle Scooter

That last one was also a bugger due to old sticker residue front and back. Done my best considering how big an area was affected.

Rally Challenge 2000

Hey Schenley .... great to see you back :D

One thing though .... can you check what dpi you scanned Nightmare creatures at as XP states 200dpi and Paintshop Pro states 96dpi .... both a tad short of the 300dpi we want for the project. Cheers buddy ......

ack so many of my boxes have a sticker on the back from blockbuster, any tips on the best way to remove them... I've been just scraping with my fingernail, but it's not working out very well.... I have this residue remover stuff (like goo-be-gone) and I think perhaps I put just a tiny bit on it it will help - anyone have any suggestions/experience?

Nate

[quote name='nate1749']ack so many of my boxes have a sticker on the back from blockbuster, any tips on the best way to remove them... I've been just scraping with my fingernail, but it's not working out very well.... I have this residue remover stuff (like goo-be-gone) and I think perhaps I put just a tiny bit on it it will help - anyone have any suggestions/experience?

Nate[/quote]

The best way I have found to remove stickers from boxes & carts is to use a blow dryer to heat them up and then peel carefully. This usually allows you to remove the sticker without leaving a bunch of residue (sometimes none). You have to be careful with 'goo-be-gone' or 'goof-off' as it will take the ink off the box and the cartridge labels. Rubbing alcohol used with a paper towel is not as stong and can be used to remove sticker residue, however it will take off the ink as well if you are not careful and rub too hard (also if you soak the box with alcohol it gets soggy.... duh). ;)

I second the use of the blow dryer. I also use some tweezers to grab the sticker.

Then, if there is any residue left, I use a gel-based Goo Gone

GGHS12_big.jpg

The Goof Off is the one that eats through a lot of stuff. The gel stuff seems to be better suited for cardboard.

Sorry about the delay getting these covers converted but:

1. 4tygames scans have sticker residue on the front of every one of them and they're big and messy .... so it takes a shiteload of editing to try and minimise the impact and ...

2. Schenley hasn't answered the question on the resolution of his scans

so it's slow going at the present time.

[quote name='TheValeman']2. Schenley hasn't answered the question on the resolution of his scans

so it's slow going at the present time.[/quote]Oops - sorry. I have no idea why the resolution was different. I'll rescan it today with the others that I have stacked up.

I promise! :lol:

[quote name='Schenley']Oops - sorry. I have no idea why the resolution was different. I'll rescan it today with the others that I have stacked up.

I promise! :lol:[/quote]

Here's Space Invaders .... Backlash or whomever submitted that original crappy one can now rest easy that Schenley's delivered the goods .... :D

Sweet! Yeah, I made that temporary one out of images I found on the Internet and a completely custom spine, since I couldn't find any spine images at all. Eh, it did the trick for awhile.

[quote name='Backlash']Sweet! Yeah, I made that temporary one out of images I found on the Internet and a completely custom spine, since I couldn't find any spine images at all. Eh, it did the trick for awhile.[/quote]

My gosh ..... he's ALIVE :D

Did yah ever get that photo off yer cousin? How's it going over there?

Here's Schenley's Supercross 2000 .... upped to Snack-bar already

The second to last of Schenley's latest lot ..... Twisted Edge Snowboarding .....

I have a manual for this sucker to scan and pdf ..... hmmm ..... shame it's seen better days being ex-rental.

Next up .... Nightmare Creatures. Then I'll start working on 4tygames covers. I've converted the rear and spines of most.... it's just the front covers and the sticker residue thats giving me grief ..... so expect them when you see them.

Oh .... check out http://www.snackbar-games.com/uploads/TheValeman if you want any of these covers that haven't been uploaded to Snack-bar yet.

Hi Everyone:

Well, after many months of watching this project, I finally bought the cases and downloaded all the available covers for the games I have. Now I figure I owe something back, so I have scanned, cleaned (a lot) and made NTSC covers for:

Mission Impossible
Ready2Rumble Round 2
Destiny Fighter 2

I have purchased but have not received the following boxes:

Charlie Blasts Territory
Lode Runner 3D
Dual Heroes
Bio F.R.E.A.K.S.
I will scan them once received.

Hopefully my covers will meet TheValeman's high standards :)

Problems:

I have been unable to upload my covers to Snackbar Games... I get a timeout error. I am not sure if I am doing something wrong, or if it is due to my slow (dialup) connection. The cable modem was probably the toughest giveup when we moved from the city.

Buck Bumble does not completely download, I only get about 1/3 of the cover and then it stops.

Thanks for any help.

OK .... if you scanned the covers @ 300dpi when you created the finished product you'll find they average around 8mb's in size. You need to save the jpg with a slight reduction in quality.

In Paintshop I click on Save and there's an Options button below the SAVE button. Click on that and change the compression from 1 to 2 and see what size the file comes out at. Snack-bar times out when the pic gets above 6mb's but usually for me a compression of 2 brings it down to around that size and all's well from there..... If you're familiar with all this stuff just forget/ excuse my explanation above ....

Hope that helps. Dont' worry ... a compression rate of 2-3 yields no visible difference in quality.

--EDIT-- Buck Bumble downloads fine for me. Try clearing your browser cache or use Firefox instead of IE.

Cheers for stepping up to the mark and contributing to the project. It's good to see people who benefit from the work done by us give something back to the cause.

And thanks for the nice comment :D

Well thanks for the help Valeman.

I was able to download Buck Bumble, clearing the cache worked.

You are correct about the size of my finished covers they are 8mb+
I do scan everything at 300 dpi. (I think that is your rule)
Photoshop gives me a similar option, so reduced the size, but they still will not upload. I am not getting a time-out. It looks like its uploading (there are a lot of bytes flying across space) but after a while, I get the 'page not found' screen on my Internet Explorer.

I may head into town tomorrow with my laptop and try using a high speed connection. They were supposed to have DSL available in our area in June, but just an empty promise so far.
After Al Gore invented the internet, he promised to get high speed to the rural areas... guess he got busy with other things.:cry:

P.S. what is the status of the manual project? I agree with you that the quality of the manuals available is pretty dismal... I am old and sometimes need the manual to figure out how to play the games. Plus, they are just nice to have.

EDIT to add: I tried to upload another, but this time I got an internal server error 500 - 'an internal server error has occured........'

Wow ... dialup? One of the other guys here couldn't upload on dialup either due to the Server timing out from taking too long to transfer it.

I have DSL so no worries here :)

If you cant get access to a broadband cct to upload them wait until you get the other boxes, scan and convert them and maybe put them all on a CD and we'll get an address for you to send them to someone who does have DSL or cable. I live in New Zealand so it may be easier sending the disc to someone like Schenley to do the honors. You could also put the raw scans on as well in case someone decides to also have a crack .... although I think your covers will be just fine....

What I dont have currently is cases to store the carts in. Anyone got a few spares lying around?

Manuals Update? Well ..... I've now cleaned up and converted 32 into pdf at this point in time. What with Schenley and 4tygames throwing a truckload of covers to convert I'm a busy person as I'm the default cover maker at the present time. Dunno why or how that transpired but thems the breaks. No-ones complained at the quality of my work so I haven't felt the need to stand down but if anyone else wants to take the job I'm happy to step aside.

I have also got another 15 manuals scanned and just needing the pages straightened,sized etc so they can be pdf'd into a manual and I have on top of that another 50 odd manuals yet to be scanned. Hey ... I'm an old man and I need my beauty sleep too ......

When Snowcone gets me the link to upload the PDF's you'll get them as fast as I can upload them.

[quote name='Backlash']TheValeman is too busy watching erotic parades to scan manuals all day :)[/quote]

Hahahahahaha ....... I didn't know our Boob's on Bikes parade would get attention all the way back to the USA. Was it because we took all the good looking Pron stars down under?

Seriously though .... "seen one set of boobs ..seen them all" tends to be my motto. I have better things to do with my time ..... converting covers and N64 manuals for our wonderful cause ;)

SUCCESS at last.....
I was finally able to upload the covers for Mission Impossible, Fighter Destiny 2 and Ready to Rumble Boxing Round 2 using a high speed connection.
You should be able to access them using:

http://www.snackbar-games.com/uploads/wshbrngr

hmmmmm..... TheValeman must be about my age
"seen one set of boobs ..seen them all" tends to be my motto.

;)

[quote name='wshbrngr']SUCCESS at last.....
I was finally able to upload the covers for Mission Impossible, Fighter Destiny 2 and Ready to Rumble Boxing Round 2 using a high speed connection.
You should be able to access them using:

http://www.snackbar-games.com/uploads/wshbrngr

hmmmmm..... TheValeman must be about my age
"seen one set of boobs ..seen them all" tends to be my motto.

;)[/quote]

Excellent work on those covers. And yeah ... I'm probably the oldest here. Although Backlash comes close I reckon .... :D

I did notice that the color seems faded on the front of Fighter Destiny 2. Can you confirm that? If so I'll have a look at adjusting the color to bring it closer to the proper shades although it never turns out totally perfect.

Thanks....

That is what the Destiny Fighter 2 cover looks like. (Maybe I have a faded box) However, I just did a side-by-side comparison with the box and it does look like it could stand some enhancing.
As I said before... you set some pretty high standards :D

I have made some corrections, but it will be tomorrow before I can hike back into town to upload........ (It's 12 miles)

bread's done
Back