Naughty Dog's The Last of Us - Left Behind Single Player DLC Out Now!

[quote name='Vinny']Huzzah!

I don't think Uncharted 3 was rushed... I just think they got a little overboard with everything they wanted to do. And whoever did the coding for the aiming was drunk all the time.[/QUOTE]

I honestly think they set a date, and, they should've delayed. Not just the aiming patch...but, there are plenty of issues with the MP. Even after two betas? Really?

That, and a few missing features; motion-blur and the cutscene player that were missing originally that also had to be patched in.

And, rewards/medals not included in the SP? All of that just screams "rushed" to me. I guess maybe not...but I dunno.

[quote name='Rig']I honestly think they set a date, and, they should've delayed. Not just the aiming patch...but, there are plenty of issues with the MP. Even after two betas? Really?

That, and a few missing features; motion-blur and the cutscene player that were missing originally that also had to be patched in.

And, rewards/medals not included in the SP? All of that just screams "rushed" to me. I guess maybe not...but I dunno.[/QUOTE]

i dont think the game was as much rushed as it was maybe changed drastically before release. the difference in the way the games mp played is pretty big when you compare the first beta to the second.

at some pint nd decided they wanted the game to be more like other mp games out there and less like what its been.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Yay... camoor is here...

He doesn't like it!? Who would have thought![/QUOTE]

I'm just saying - after a visionary game like Enslaved this feels like a step backward. I'll still play it...

[quote name='camoor']I'm just saying - after a visionary game like Enslaved this feels like a step backward. I'll still play it...[/QUOTE]

Enslaved? Really?

[quote name='elessar123']Enslaved? Really?[/QUOTE]

yup

I'm just saying that I didn't see anything unique in the trailer, which is kinda a shame seeing as how much I enjoyed it more when they had a creative soul (Crash, Jak, etc)

Zombies may have been done to death (natch) but if I was a betting man I'd venture that this game will feature accessable playtested gameplay and georgeous visuals.

But come on - does anyone here feel like they are going to be breaking new ground?

[quote name='ChibiJosh']Exactly what I thought when I first saw the trailer.[/QUOTE]
Woot! for Halifax!

Saying UC3 was crap, is BS. I am just playing through now. There are tons of annoyances, that maybe make it feel rushed. (Finding the little dipper comes to mind, took me 10 minutes because I didn't know you had to stand on star-circle.) But the graphics, musical score, dialogue are all still excellent. Maybe a little repitive, but over all it is really a victim of how good UC2 two was. Maybe a legit complaint is "there are some problems and annoyances with UC3, which really stand out because it is a triple A title".

Anyway, I hate zombie and horror games, but this look excellent. First think I thought of was that Cormac McCarthy book, The Road. Because I don't buy zombie games usually, this will feel new to me.

[quote name='DOMINATOR912']Trailer sort of reminds me of I am Legend. Made by Naughty Dog so I'm guessing it'll be pretty good.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the movie. Definately.

[quote name='camoor']I'm just saying - after a visionary game like Enslaved this feels like a step backward. I'll still play it...[/QUOTE]

lmao holy shit enslaved visionary.........wow what color are the trees in your reality? enslaved was pretty shit especially the ending but i take it that maybe youre being sarcastic. you have to be............

[quote name='camoor']yup

I'm just saying that I didn't see anything unique in the trailer, which is kinda a shame seeing as how much I enjoyed it more when they had a creative soul (Crash, Jak, etc)

Zombies may have been done to death (natch) but if I was a betting man I'd venture that this game will feature accessable playtested gameplay and georgeous visuals.

But come on - does anyone here feel like they are going to be breaking new ground?[/QUOTE]

Even if they don't break new ground, ND does a masterful job of crafting their games. I don't need every game to have a completely new concept to impress me. They might not be breaking ground here but they make up for it elsewhere whether its story telling, technical prowess or simply by doing things better than the "ground breakers".

I'll admit that Enslaved was an overlooked game and had a great concept (hardly ground breaking though), but it was poorly made and lacked the same level of polish/attention to detail that ND puts in their games.

[quote name='lokizz']lmao holy shit enslaved visionary.........wow what color are the trees in your reality? enslaved was pretty shit especially the ending but i take it that maybe youre being sarcastic. you have to be............[/QUOTE]

I enjoyed it and Metacritic rated it at 80. It's definately a love it or hate it title but whatever your opinion you have to admit it was different.

[quote name='Vinny']Even if they don't break new ground, ND does a masterful job of crafting their games. I don't need every game to have a completely new concept to impress me. They might not be breaking ground here but they make up for it elsewhere whether its story telling, technical prowess or simply by doing things better than the "ground breakers".

I'll admit that Enslaved was an overlooked game and had a great concept (hardly ground breaking though), but it was poorly made and lacked the same level of polish/attention to detail that ND puts in their games.[/QUOTE]

Definately a fair point.

Although in this specific case, I guess I have to agree with the Cracked article I just read about Dead Island:

We've found every conceivable way to kill zombies; we've put them in every conceivable scenario, and now their ubiquity is getting annoying. But Dead Island marks the first time I've seen a really great zombie story ruined because it's just retreading old ground. There's no new angle on zombies that wasn't already covered in Left 4 Dead or Dead Rising or countless other games and movies, so the whole thing seems pointless. I even partially suspect that the reason the game trailer bore no resemblance to the actual game was because it was frantically trying to find an untapped quadrant of the zombie craze just to keep people interested. We've crossed a line in 2011 -- it's time to move on to some other generalized terror we can all enjoy together, like nanobots or Eskimos or something.

Cracked 64: The Top 8 of Everything of 2011 - Video Game | Cracked.com http://www.cracked.com/cracked-64-top-8-everything-of-2011/Video-Game/#ixzz1gMHhK3yr

[quote name='camoor']I enjoyed it and Metacritic rated it at 80. It's definately a love it or hate it title but whatever your opinion you have to admit it was different.[/QUOTE]

Different, how? It was ok, but definitely not ground breaking.

[quote name='camoor']I enjoyed it and Metacritic rated it at 80. It's definately a love it or hate it title but whatever your opinion you have to admit it was different.[/QUOTE]

the one part of that game i liked were the flashbacks youd get of what was when you grabbed those masks. that i liked it reminded me of those flashbacks from the suffering series.

[quote name='elessar123']Different, how? It was ok, but definitely not ground breaking.[/QUOTE]

There are not too many colorful post-apocalyptic games that feature fully fleshed-out characters. There are some (FF7 comes to mind) but usually videogames go down the dark and gritty survival tale road. Even the enemy designs were light-hearted (the colorful giant robot dog was great)

I also liked how the characters actually used their brains as well as their brawn in the story (the dragonfly comes to mind). Plus the atmosphere was mysterious. When I first saw the floating mask I actually paused before walking up and putting it on - it was weird and cool.

The ending could have been more polished but IMHO the journey more then made up for it.

[quote name='camoor']There are not too many colorful post-apocalyptic games that feature fully fleshed-out characters. There are some (FF7 comes to mind) but usually videogames go down the dark and gritty survival tale road. Even the enemy designs were light-hearted (the colorful giant robot dog was great)

I also liked how the characters actually used their brains as well as their brawn in the story (the dragonfly comes to mind). Plus the atmosphere was mysterious. When I first saw the floating mask I actually paused before walking up and putting it on - it was weird and cool.

The ending could have been more polished but IMHO the journey more then made up for it.[/QUOTE]

dude i hated that chick she was a bitch from start to finish i wanted that guy to kill her considering how she acted and what she did.yeah ill give you that too it was a diff post apoc look kinda like nintendo trying to do a "gritty" game.

thats how i feel about dead island though so i can see where youre coming from. game was buggy and the last boss was a complete letdown but the ride to get there overshadowed all the negatives.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']So basically everything I know about this game is out now:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=33417986&postcount=1

But I had no idea about the composer. That is the most exciting info to hear about. It kind of sets the entire tone for how the game will play out and that deep emotional tones Gustavo goes for will make this a very intense experience. I can't wait![/QUOTE]

So.. the girl's name is Ellie and she looks like Ellen Page. Boy, someone at ND has a crush.

[quote name='camoor']There are not too many colorful post-apocalyptic games that feature fully fleshed-out characters. There are some (FF7 comes to mind) but usually videogames go down the dark and gritty survival tale road. Even the enemy designs were light-hearted (the colorful giant robot dog was great)

The ending could have been more polished but IMHO the journey more then made up for it.[/QUOTE]

Not trotting through the rest of the thread, but the lead designer from Enslaved is working on this game, maybe that's why you're catching the Enslaved vibes.

[quote name='Vinny']So.. the girl's name is Ellie and she looks like Ellen Page. Boy, someone at ND has a crush.[/QUOTE]
Haha possibly. They've always used real world actors to base their character designs around. This goes with all character designers, its rare you make up a persons face.

They've said they used Nathan Fillion for drake, Heather Mirren for Katherine and Jason Statham for Charlie. So it makes sense!

[quote name='Jodou']GDI, here I was just about to praise them for not milking Uncharted. I was satisfied with a trilogy and happy to see them move on to a new IP. Guess I was mistaken. :\[/QUOTE]I think the last one for a while will be on PSvita & a 4th will probably be on PS4...2-3 yrs from now.

My problem with Enslaved is the gameplay was horrible. I personally didn't like the characters either. Trip was annoying and helpless and Monkey was a pushover.

I don't think I've heard anyone who likes Enslaved say they liked it because of the gameplay. People always mention the characters/story which to me shows that as a game it fails.

[quote name='Enuf']I think the last one for a while will be on PSvita & a 4th will probably be on PS4...2-3 yrs from now.[/QUOTE]

Uncharted games only come out every 2-3 years, it's like saying Konami was milking MGS :roll:

One franchise IMO that's being milked is Assassin's Creed, Brotherhood and Revelations could have probably fit in one disc...the story was way too short for a $60 game.

any game that has yearly iterations is milked. plain and simple. AC, CoD, Guitar Hero fall into that category. (although guitar hero is now dead, thank god)

This game looks pretty interesting. I figure as long as the aiming mechanic isnt shit and if the graphics stay at about UC2 level I would more than likely make it a day 1 purchase. Also I am hoping it is as it looks to be Uncharted Zombie edition

[quote name='8bitArtist']any game that has yearly iterations is milked. plain and simple. AC, CoD, Guitar Hero fall into that category. (although guitar hero is now dead, thank god)[/QUOTE]
Uncharted isn't yearly though. Was that your point? haha.

[quote name='bjstucker']This game looks pretty interesting. I figure as long as the aiming mechanic isnt shit and if the graphics stay at about UC2 level I would more than likely make it a day 1 purchase. Also I am hoping it is as it looks to be Uncharted Zombie edition[/QUOTE]

Hopefully they take gameplay the Silent Hill route - that is, you want to run away when you can and only use precious ammo when necessary. It really ratchets up the tension. However it will probably be hard to balance scarce ammo and fast zombies.

Uncharted Zombie edition - wasn't that the second half of Uncharted 2 ;)

[quote name='8bitArtist']any game that has yearly iterations is milked. plain and simple. AC, CoD, Guitar Hero fall into that category. (although guitar hero is now dead, thank god)[/QUOTE]

Uncharted 1 -2007, Uncharted 2 -2009, and Uncharted 3 -2011.....so it's not yearly, every 2 years is fine for whatever game.

I'm pretty sure the Vita game that is coming out isn't as long as any of the other Uncharted games, it's a handheld game after all....

[quote name='Gannikus']Uncharted 1 -2007, Uncharted 2 -2009, and Uncharted 3 -2011.....so it's not yearly, every 2 years is fine for whatever game.

I'm pretty sure the Vita game that is coming out isn't as long as any of the other Uncharted games, it's a handheld game after all....[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure he was saying that they are not milking Uncharted series and saying that its only milking when it comes out every year like his other examples

it was a pretty clear post. i cant fault you for not knowing how to properly read.

the guy was talking about uncharted getting milked, then another guy said a post about yearly iterations mentioning AC, and then i stated games that are getting milked (that have yearly iterations) showing that uncharted isnt getting milked.

HERP DA DERP

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Thomas96']I want this game to be free roaming like dead island[/QUOTE]

hell yes but more interactions with the environment and items in it. like instead of finding keys or lock picking being able to just shoot open a door.

and i realllllllllllllllllllllly hope that little girl can take care of herself or maybe be used co-op style nothign worse than having to protect/lead a shitty ai character around while also trying to keep yourself alive.

I hate these "trailers" that are nothing more than full motion videos. Anyone can make an FMV and make it look awesome. From what I see this looks like it could make a cool movie but for a game, who knows?

[quote name='lokizz']hell yes but more interactions with the environment and items in it. like instead of finding keys or lock picking being able to just shoot open a door.

and i realllllllllllllllllllllly hope that little girl can take care of herself or maybe be used co-op style nothign worse than having to protect/lead a shitty ai character around while also trying to keep yourself alive.[/QUOTE]

Going by what the area looks like after they leave the building, it looks like it'll be linear. I doubt they could make a game look that good and be open world (see Skyrim, GTA, etc.).

And since the girl did pull out that switchblade during the fist fight, and then later stab that ugly ass zombie, I'm guessing that she does know a thing or two.

I must be getting old because I was not impressed.

Why should I, as a gamer, be impressed by what looks like a footage of a cg movie, with acceptable voice acting? I think much of the reason I'm lukewarm on Uncharted is due in part to its insistence on making every moment cinematic, even at the cost of satisfying gameplay. Naughty Dog is losing their identity by abandoning their charmingly cheesy platformer roots to keep up with the hollywood/realistic shooter craze.

[quote name='Vinny']So.. the girl's name is Ellie and she looks like Ellen Page. Boy, someone at ND has a crush.[/QUOTE]
I wrote a blog post about this trailer, and mentioned Ellen Page and her Maritime link: http://wp.me/pRd9F-3i

One of the dev's commented on my blog post, stating that the girl is actually Ashley Johnson, and directed me to this site which gives information about the cast: http://wearethelastofus.wordpress.com/

~S

[quote name='snowsquirrel']I wrote a blog post about this trailer, and mentioned Ellen Page and her Maritime link: http://wp.me/pRd9F-3i

One of the dev's commented on my blog post, stating that the girl is actually Ashley Johnson, and directed me to this site which gives information about the cast: http://wearethelastofus.wordpress.com/

~S[/QUOTE]
Ellie certainly seems like she's modeled after Ellen Page. Ashley Johnson is voicing her but Ellie was definitely not modeled after Johnson.

[quote name='leveskikesko']I must be getting old because I was not impressed.

Why should I, as a gamer, be impressed by what looks like a footage of a cg movie, with acceptable voice acting? I think much of the reason I'm lukewarm on Uncharted is due in part to its insistence on making every moment cinematic, even at the cost of satisfying gameplay. Naughty Dog is losing their identity by abandoning their charmingly cheesy platformer roots to keep up with the hollywood/realistic shooter craze.[/QUOTE]

Because some of us enjoy the interactive movie experience? And we don't know much yet, so why not be optimistic instead of pessimistic knowing ND's track record?

And you just canceled out your own point and its really obnoxious -- you gotta choose one. Is it a boring realistic shooter like all the others? Or is it an interactive movie experience? You say, "Oh I hate how they make everything cinematic" but at the same time don't just want another generic SHOOT EVERYTHING for 7 hours experience. Make up your mind! Where is this shooter you say is perfect?

[quote name='beefytwinkie']Ellie certainly seems like she's modeled after Ellen Page. Ashley Johnson is voicing her but Ellie was definitely not modeled after Johnson.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it definitely looks more like Ellen Page than Ashley Johnson (never heard of her).

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Because some of us enjoy the interactive movie experience? And we don't know much yet, so why not be optimistic instead of pessimistic knowing ND's track record?

And you just canceled out your own point and its really obnoxious -- you gotta choose one. Is it a boring realistic shooter like all the others? Or is it an interactive movie experience? You say, "Oh I hate how they make everything cinematic" but at the same time don't just want another generic SHOOT EVERYTHING for 7 hours experience. Make up your mind! Where is this shooter you say is perfect?[/QUOTE]

I think it's too early to say whether this will be a cinematic game like the Uncharted series... I honestly doubt ND will go that route again. I'm guessing this will be a bit more open and non-linear.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Because some of us enjoy the interactive movie experience? And we don't know much yet, so why not be optimistic instead of pessimistic knowing ND's track record?

And you just canceled out your own point and its really obnoxious -- you gotta choose one. Is it a boring realistic shooter like all the others? Or is it an interactive movie experience? You say, "Oh I hate how they make everything cinematic" but at the same time don't just want another generic SHOOT EVERYTHING for 7 hours experience. Make up your mind! Where is this shooter you say is perfect?[/QUOTE]

Anyone has something slightly critical to say and you jump down their throat.

You're a ND fanboy. We get it. The guy has a point, ask anyone how much Dead Island's trailer had to do with the game. Sure it's done with in-game graphics, I already heard that one when KZ2 came out.

And personally I love the cinematic experience but it's not for everyone. Why do you have to be so negative?

bread's done
Back