NEW CAG Club Nintendo U (I2B - WWHD; See 1st Post for New Info)

Ditto.

Mine was something like.

1. We get ALL OF THESE?!
2. Wait no..........we'll only get to choose 1.
3. I need that poster set.
4. No wait, I NEED those cards.
5. Damnit all, I want them both.

The choice is clear for me, getting the cards. Posters aren't of anything better than what's been available to me. My friend with only Gold will be happy he can get a choice of a few great games to get rather than the lame calendar.

Damn, I want the posters and cards. Guess I'm gonna have to get gouged on eBay for one of them (the cards, likely). Easier for Nintendo to send the posters to me than get them off eBay, I bet.

As someone who never gets above Gold, I'm super-pumped to see (from the looks of that image) that they''re offering games as Gold prizes.

Although I just bought Mario Minis about a month back and it's really pretty fun. I don't know if we all get that, but you should consider it.

[quote name='slowdive21']Man, I should have cashed in last year instead. Sorry guys, I'm bad luck.[/QUOTE]

You want the pins? I'll give you an unopened pack for the posters. I still have two or three of those. Sad how little they went for on eBay when they were released.

I logged in to my Club Nintendo account, it said you are eligible, clicked the link - https://club.nintendo.com/elite-status-gifts.do
but all I'm seeing are the cards or the calendar on my account. Anyway, I think these prizes are a major disappointment. I always thought the point of the end of year reward was to give the members something that wouldn't normally be available.

I spouted off an email on their website giving them some feedback on these prizes. I probably went a little over the top but fuck it.

I just wanted to give my feedback on the Platinum rewards for 2012. Very disappointing. You offered 3 of the 4 games already this year for coins. The card set and posters, while different, have been available in other forms. I thought the idea of having an end of year reward was to give members the opportunity to get something not normally offered. Such as soundtracks, an 8 bit Mario pillow, or a special controller. Pretty much what Japan offers their members. They seem to understand what people want.

But, it figures in America, you just re-hash prizes probably thinking that the average American schmoe won't notice. You must be taking a page from Hollywood and the idiot box most Americans have in their homes. or maybe your profits are so low, this is the best you can do. You know, for $50/year, Sony provides me with a ton of free games, more than I can ever possibly play. For spending more than that to reach 600 points, this is the best you could do? Select a game that costs $5-$10 on the Virtual Console? A set of posters? Or a deck of cards that look like they could cause an epileptic fit? Be sure to give your marketing people major raises and bonuses for this.

The cards haven't been available elsewhere, unless you mean "you've already got cards on the shop." Same with the posters.

The games - fair enough, because if you already have those, it's a waste, unless you want to be nice and gift the game to someone.

Not really defending NOA's approach here since I also believe they could step it up. You're not going to get far with really snide remarks though.

[quote name='mitch079']I spouted off an email on their website giving them some feedback on these prizes. I probably went a little over the top but fuck it.

I just wanted to give my feedback on the Platinum rewards for 2012. Very disappointing. You offered 3 of the 4 games already this year for coins. The card set and posters, while different, have been available in other forms. I thought the idea of having an end of year reward was to give members the opportunity to get something not normally offered. Such as soundtracks, an 8 bit Mario pillow, or a special controller. Pretty much what Japan offers their members. They seem to understand what people want.

But, it figures in America, you just re-hash prizes probably thinking that the average American schmoe won't notice. You must be taking a page from Hollywood and the idiot box most Americans have in their homes. or maybe your profits are so low, this is the best you can do. You know, for $50/year, Sony provides me with a ton of free games, more than I can ever possibly play. For spending more than that to reach 600 points, this is the best you could do? Select a game that costs $5-$10 on the Virtual Console? A set of posters? Or a deck of cards that look like they could cause an epileptic fit? Be sure to give your marketing people major raises and bonuses for this.[/QUOTE]

I emailed them the exact same thing you said just now

Although I'm currently happier with the statue and pins that I picked up off of eBay (was aware of the club, but held off joining until this year), I'll gladly take those Nintendo playing cards. I like the Luigi's Mansion poster, but the other two don't seem like anything special. Also, wall space for me is already at a premium. If I have original pieces of artwork that aren't up on the wall, I'm certainly not going to hang a poster up instead.

Personally though, I like the approach that big N is taking with these rewards. First and foremost, they found a way to fix the issues people were having with the Gold level rewards. Now, if you don't want to get the standard calendar, you can instead get a game. Of course I'd much rather be given Wii points/3DS money so that I could pick what I wanted (imagine a free Pushmo or Super Mario RPG) but this is at least a step in the right direction. As for the Platinum prizes, I would put the playing cards on par with the Mario Hat from the first NoA year. Those cards appear as though they're made out of the same plastic that other "invisible card" decks are made out of, and thus should be much nicer than slicked up paper cards.

I'm a little disappointed, but I'm satisfied with the poster set. A lot better than the pin set from last year, that's for sure. The gold Zelda poster looks nice, but it would have been nice if it wasn't just one of the 25th anniversary set posters with a gold background instead of purple/blue. I'm guessing the poster will have some type of reflective foil for the gold though so that would probably look great. Still, I agree the platinum prize is a bit weak this year, but its a free gift so I'm happy with posters.

[quote name='mitch079']
But, it figures in America, you just re-hash prizes probably thinking that the average American schmoe won't notice. You must be taking a page from Hollywood and the idiot box most Americans have in their homes. or maybe your profits are so low, this is the best you can do. You know, for $50/year, Sony provides me with a ton of free games, more than I can ever possibly play. For spending more than that to reach 600 points, this is the best you could do? Select a game that costs $5-$10 on the Virtual Console? A set of posters? Or a deck of cards that look like they could cause an epileptic fit? Be sure to give your marketing people major raises and bonuses for this.[/QUOTE]

Maybe if Sony had a loyalty program or if Nintendo had a subscription service that gives "free" games, you could compare equivalents, but the structure of each program is no where the same. Also, you did plan on playing those Nintendo games/systems you bought, right? For whatever you spent to get those 600 coins, you got the games AND the choice of platinum reward.

I get it though. Most of us are at least disappointed in the rewards. I know I am cause that Mario pillow looks really nice. But I can't say no to free Mario playing cards.

I am guessing you will be able to choose one item in your category and one game. I would gladly take the cards and dk vs mario since I missed it the first time.

Otherwise these are really disappointing. Doc Louis Punchout was an exclusive, so I can see how they can justify that alone, but these games are rerun 150 point deals. This would not even be on par with the pin set from last year if you only choose one.

You guys that are sending ugly emails, you realize that Nintendo doesn't have to do this at all, right? America is huge and Club Nintendo is getting more popular all the time. The manufacturing costs of these items comes directly out of Nintendo's pockets as a thank you to its biggest fans and loyalist customers.

This past Club year I got to play a new Zelda, Layton and Xenoblade and if Nintendo wants to give me a unique piece of swag or free game for enjoying those games then that's alright with me!

If you're buying games purely for the status bump then you're doing it wrong.

[quote name='HeroesNoMore']You guys that are sending ugly emails, you realize that Nintendo doesn't have to do this at all, right? America is huge and Club Nintendo is getting more popular all the time. The manufacturing costs of these items comes directly out of Nintendo's pockets as a thank you to it's biggest fans and loyalist customers.
[/quote]

I agree with this for the most part. My only issues are:

1) How many people honestly do Club Nintendo? I'm guessing it's a fairly low number. With just how little people pay attention to things for the most part, I can't see the CN population being high. I'm thinking about relatives who don't even know about it, friends who don't know about it, Gamestop employees who don't know about it...

2) Nintendo has several ties to manufacturing companies for toys, board games, clothing, accessories, etc. It doesn't seem like it would be that difficult to rope in said companies for CN rewards.

NOA has said in the past that the USA is such a large territory that they would have trouble meeting the requirements for a complex CN reward, but when I consider the two things above, it feels like more of an excuse.

There's also a third thought, which is that they could make soundtracks available, which CAN NOT be difficult to manufacture and send out.

But again, at the end of the day, I'm less worried about this, because I'd rather people sell me their rewards they clearly don't want, and I'll grab other things off eBay from other territories if I'm so inclined.

[quote name='Strell']
2) Nintendo has several ties to manufacturing companies for toys, board games, clothing, accessories, etc. It doesn't seem like it would be that difficult to rope in said companies for CN rewards.

NOA has said in the past that the USA is such a large territory that they would have trouble meeting the requirements for a complex CN reward, but when I consider the two things above, it feels like more of an excuse.
[/QUOTE]

I am also guessing the long lead time (december?) for ship dates on these prizes is because they don't place their manufacturing order until they know exactly how many they need. That should also reduce costs. But then again, this isn't the wii heyday era anymore and the 3ds is not the sellout hit they were hoping for so spending on this stuff might be a lower priority right now.

[quote name='scottman']I am guessing you will be able to choose one item in your category and one game. I would gladly take the cards and dk vs mario since I missed it the first time.

Otherwise these are really disappointing. Doc Louis Punchout was an exclusive, so I can see how they can justify that alone, but these games are rerun 150 point deals. This would not even be on par with the pin set from last year if you only choose one.[/QUOTE]
No, I'm fairly certain you pick only one item in total. One game or calendar or posters or cards. No mixing and matching.

[quote name='HeroesNoMore']You guys that are sending ugly emails, you realize that Nintendo doesn't have to do this at all, right? America is huge and Club Nintendo is getting more popular all the time. The manufacturing costs of these items comes directly out of Nintendo's pockets as a thank you to its biggest fans and loyalist customers.

This past Club year I got to play a new Zelda, Layton and Xenoblade and if Nintendo wants to give me a unique piece of swag or free game for enjoying those games then that's alright with me!

If you're buying games purely for the status bump then you're doing it wrong.[/QUOTE]

Nintendo is a business, plain and simple. They are not doing this out of a sense of loyalty to their customers. It is a marketing tool to encourage their base consumers to purchase a large sum of their products, and then (and this is the valuable part) do surveys for them. Those surveys help Nintendo determine the market for future games allowing them to adjust production, manufacturing and sales of their games which in the long run increases profits. For those complaining to Nintendo about the lackluster prizes, can you name one good prize from club Nintendo America? Why after all the losses nintendo posted, did you think this year would be better?

I wish Nintendo of America would sell more things (t-shirts, soundtracks, toys, etc.) at wider availability for people to buy them. It'd probably make them a fair bit of money considering there is an audience out there for it. But no, they can't even be bothered to sell KI:U AR cards like the rest of the world.

[quote name='KingBroly']I wish Nintendo of America would sell more things (t-shirts, soundtracks, toys, etc.) at wider availability for people to buy them. It'd probably make them a fair bit of money considering there is an audience out there for it. But no, they can't even be bothered to sell KI:U AR cards like the rest of the world.[/QUOTE]

I've seen quite a few Nintendo shirts and items at Toys R Us and Hot Topic.

[quote name='Strell']I hope some people in here realize just how crazy their theories are sounding right now.[/QUOTE]

Maybe NOA is run by Hitler's brain and giving us cheaper rewards is his payback for ruining his plans of world conquest.

MB.png

The Axis lives!

[quote name='Rig']Damn, I want the posters and cards. Guess I'm gonna have to get gouged on eBay for one of them (the cards, likely). Easier for Nintendo to send the posters to me than get them off eBay, I bet.[/QUOTE]

I may do the same as well. How long do I have until I have to "decide"?

Also if a CAG doesn't want that Platinum card set I'll pay $5 ;)

I had 710 coins redeemed and am at Platinum for 2012, but I can't select the Platinum poster set. =\

Keeps turning up "You are not eligible for this Elite Status Reward."

By the way, you only get one prize total. Platinum or Gold, swag or game.

[quote name='slowdive21']How big are the posters normally? 11 by 17? Or are they full size.[/QUOTE]

All the posters I've ever gotten from them are your normal full-blown posters. Not the mini ones.

[quote name='slowdive21']How big are the posters normally? 11 by 17? Or are they full size.[/QUOTE]

Most of the posters from Club Nintendo are 22x28. I imagine the Zelda one will be the same, but the Kid Icarus and Luigi's Mansion one look a bit more squarish.

I have reached Platinum status but don't want the cards or posters at all. Anyone wants to trade ther 2011 Pin set for anything this year? Please PM me!

I'm disappointed that they couldn't even come up with unique rewards for Platinum/Gold people with cards, posters, and digital games being offered all of the time. It's not like they needed to offer controllers made of pure gold, but some unique objects would've gone a long way.

Yeah, something unique would have been appreciated. I actually didn't mind the pins, and the packaging they came in was pretty cool. Also the packaging the mario cast statue came in was also awesome. They can make up for this year's crappier rewards if the packaging is awesome.

Why don't they let Platinum people get both one Platinum and one Gold item? That seems like it'd make more sense for going the extra mile.

[quote name='Cheapskate']Why don't they let Platinum people get both one Platinum and one Gold item? That seems like it'd make more sense for going the extra mile.[/QUOTE]

I agree, people have been saying that for years. A few more calendars ain't gonna hurt. Hell if they offer a free game as a gold reward, a lot of people probably choose that over a calendar anyway.

A deck of playing cards, a couple of posters, and a calendar have about equal value to me. IMO Platinum members should be getting the clear cut very best prize available to them. If not, they should get the option to get the gold reward and the platinum reward.

I'd totally take a game over a calendar, no matter how shitty.

Yeah, I'd actually take Silver Surfer or Bart vs. the Space Mutants for the NES over a calendar.

Serious Nintendo fans will love this sleek set of three posters, exclusive to 2012 Club Nintendo Platinum members. The posters use artwork from the games Kid Icarus™: Uprising, Luigi’s Mansion™: Dark Moon, and The Legend of Zelda™: Skyward Sword. Each poster features special printing effects, making them unique pieces to add to your Nintendo collection. This set is an exclusive gift, only available to this year’s Club Nintendo Platinum members.

Anybody know what that means?

Quit bitching.

They offer a program to make an incentive for registering your games.

They give you points for each game and system you register.

You can build points and get free stuff shipped for free or downloaded.

Then, at the end of each fiscal Club Nintendo year, members who make the effort to register their games, get a prize typically not offered, again, shipped for free.

So, you don't agree with their choices of prizes in North America, but the logistics also in North America are ridiculous and expensive and the population is much more spread out.

If you don't agree, come up with a better solution and quit trying to ask questions and assume you know the details.

I'm not trying to play Sgt. Nintendo Defense Force, but god damn, some people can't be pleased no matter what and don't appreciate what they do get.

[quote name='Drclaw411']Anybody know what that means?[/QUOTE]

Probably something similar that they did with the 25th anniversary Zelda posters. Two of those had The Legend of Zelda logo written in a shiny foil and another had a Legend of Zelda watermark. It's a nice touch but nothing too extraordinary. I'm hoping they go the extra mile with these posters and the entire golden part of the Zelda poster has a nice reflective foil as well as Pit's light arrow.

[quote name='Drclaw411']Anybody know what that means?[/QUOTE]

Probably either glow-in-the-dark ink, gold/silver(the other CN Zelda set had silver & red) foil or embossing. Possibly even UV ink or invisible ink for hidden images.

I mean the prizes arent bad but it is just that 1. The download games were games already offered. 2. The games offered should be new ones 3. The prizes are not bad outside the digital ones, but when we see Japan get all the good stuff, it makes us wonder why and that it is unfair that we get casual stuff and they get awesome stuff like a Golden Nunchuck, The Super Mario Soundtrack, and other stuff like the SNES Classic Controller or the 8-bit Mario Pillow.

^ That's a good point - had the DLC game been something new and/or exclusive, that might be a different matter - say a GBA classic (the quality of one of the Ambassador program games).

[quote name='Blade']
By the way, you only get one prize total. Platinum or Gold, swag or game.[/QUOTE]

Now that is pretty lame - I mean, one physical prize and one game would have been nice. It still would have been pretty bad compared to previous years, but I could have gotten used to that. One single 150 coin-type game is really, really pathetic - especially when some have been offered as redeemable rewards already! I guess I'm going with the cards since at least that is something different. But still...

[quote name='b3b0p']
So, you don't agree with their choices of prizes in North America, but the logistics also in North America are ridiculous and expensive and the population is much more spread out.

If you don't agree, come up with a better solution and quit trying to ask questions and assume you know the details.

I'm not trying to play Sgt. Nintendo Defense Force, but god damn, some people can't be pleased no matter what and don't appreciate what they do get.[/QUOTE]

Well, every year before this was 10x better - even last year's pins. I thought those were pretty bad (especially since mine came crushed in a bubble mailer) but I'd rather have those than any of this stuff. Before last year the prizes were all pretty good, if not mind-blowingly awesome (compared to the Japanese club prizes).

I guess, in retrospect, the statue was the high point. Hell, I'd rather have them just repeat that (in a different form of course). But c'mon, a single (old, already offered) DLC game (that costs them nothing) is pretty insulting even to offer as a prize. Like I said, if it was one physical item and one game that would be much better.

I guess I'll stop worrying about Elite status and just look forward to the redeemable stuff which is clearly the "better" deal for the NA club anyway. I'm definitely glad I cashed out as many codes that were dropping as I could and didn't save them for next year even at the reduced value. It was much better to have 50 coins to spend on their regular stuff than 20 to go towards Elite status just to get a DLC game reward or a pack of cards ;).

bread's done
Back