NFL 2010-2011 Season Discussion Thread

Look at the bright side of this situation: If there's an NFL lockout next season, there's no way Favre can come back the following season :) I think this move makes the Vikings 2 games better, but the Packers still win the division. However I wonder how that ankle really is.

[quote name='DT778']Just like Westbrook, Carr was signed as a backup and would not compete for the starting job. Of course if shit happens he can become the started down the road but right now there is no battle for the starting QB position.[/QUOTE]

I've seen nowhere Singletary guaranteeing Smith has the starting job. Comfortable with him starting? Yes. Guaranteed he's got it? Nope. They signed Carr (2 years, 4 mil guaranteed) to compete for position not play back-up. You don't sign a 30 year old QB that has overall better stats than Smith (that's counting with the Texans for their first five years), and not give him a shot - forget what Yahoo! says. Not only that, Raye (I seriously can't understand how he keeps getting OC jobs) likes the deep ball and Carr can throw the deep ball, Smith can't.

Well, I as well thought Alex Smith was going to be starting QB, after having a solid second half last year and getting the starting spot back from Shaun Hill.

I just hope Vernon Davis has another all star season and last year wasn't a fluke. He can only get better! And what about Crabtree? any news of improvement during the pre-season? Seriously, the Niners have very solid pieces, and now with a 2 punch combo of Gore and Westbrook. :D

The NFC West is there for the taking!

Edit: And i just remembered they drafted USC Safety (FIGHT ON!) Taylor Mays!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWroHILuG-I

[quote name='Kilraven']I've seen nowhere Singletary guaranteeing Smith has the starting job. Comfortable with him starting? Yes. Guaranteed he's got it? Nope. They signed Carr (2 years, 4 mil guaranteed) to compete for position not play back-up. You don't sign a 30 year old QB that has overall better stats than Smith (that's counting with the Texans for their first five years), and not give him a shot - forget what Yahoo! says. Not only that, Raye (I seriously can't understand how he keeps getting OC jobs) likes the deep ball and Carr can throw the deep ball, Smith can't.[/QUOTE]You must not be keeping up with the team since all offseason Sing has been saying Smith will start. Like I said before Smith could mess up and be replaced, which really applies to everyone on any team, but as of right now there is no open competition for the starting qb.

[quote name='Viol8tor']any news of improvement during the pre-season? Seriously, the Niners have very solid pieces[/QUOTE]

Here's to hoping Davis and Iupati fill in the gaps on the O-line.

In other news:

How many friggin headache related incidents does Harvin need before somebody sits down and says something is seriously wrong here?

[quote name='DT778']You must not be keeping up with the team since all offseason Sing has been saying Smith will start. Like I said before Smith could mess up and be replaced, which really applies to everyone on any team, but as of right now there is no open competition for the starting qb.[/QUOTE]

I have been keeping up. The problem is you're taking one quote from Singletary saying he's comfortable with Smith starting in March as a guarantee now - it ain't. Especially for a 1st rounder that got it back in mid '09 after losing it in '07. If you're adamant that Smith has the starting job, then link me a recent quote of Singletary or Raye stating it since preseason.

Anyone want to buy tickets to the Giants / Steelers pre-season game this Saturday? Trying to get rid of them for $50 bux each. I have two to sell. PM me ASAP.

[quote name='Kilraven']I have been keeping up. The problem is you're taking one quote from Singletary saying he's comfortable with Smith starting in March as a guarantee now - it ain't. Especially for a 1st rounder that got it back in mid '09 after losing it in '07. If you're adamant that Smith has the starting job, then link me a recent quote of Singletary or Raye stating it since preseason.[/QUOTE]There is no quote since preseason since it's not an open qb competition. Why would he make a statement about something that's not in question. As of right now Smith will start week one.

[quote name='Donkey132']We should have a CAG Fantasy Football league. Would anybody be interested?[/QUOTE]

I'm down.

theres like 6 leagues with CAGs involved. in fact theres probably one with spots still open if you search the forums.

my money league has its draft tomorrow night. not sure who im going to take with my first pick quite yet. my family league for less money drafts on wednesday.

Yeah, I totally forgot there are existing leagues too... I'm already in like 6 of'em.

They need to seriously look into Harvin... seems like he might have a tumor or something.

Its still a little early but I think the Patriots finally came through with a good draft class. Still might not be enough to fill all their holes though.

This was an extremely sloppy game for the Browns, as they gave the lead away with all of the fumbles that let the Rams start a few drives in their own territory. Besides the first drive, the Rams only scores have been the result of fumbles, so they need to work more on holding onto the wet ball well.

They had some good drives once they settled down as both Delhomme and Wallace played well against the weak St. Louis defense they faced. Peyton Hillis played extremely well with Vickers blocking for him as he ran through and around the Rams defense like they were nothing and he made some great catches, as well. He could be a very good third down/passing back, which Denver would probably like to have back right about now.

The defense played very well after the first drive as they shut down Bradford and the running game consistently and the secondary did well to limit big receptions despite some more PI calls that kept the Rams offense on the field. If the Rams were a better team, this game would've been a big blowout.

The Packers game aired on NFL Network tonight, so I didn't have to watch a stream, and I got to see the game in HD. The offense looked great again, but just like last week, the defense was pretty shaky. then again, it's only the preseason, and the defense was great last year and should be this year. Still, it's a bit disconcerting to see the team give up so many points against teams like the Seahawks tonight and the Browns last weekend.

I'll be checking out the Vikings/Niners game tomorrow to see Brett Favre. The Packers play again on Thursday night against the Colts on ESPN.

[quote name='Matt Young']The Packers game aired on NFL Network tonight, so I didn't have to watch a stream, and I got to see the game in HD. The offense looked great again, but just like last week, the defense was pretty shaky. then again, it's only the preseason, and the defense was great last year and should be this year. Still, it's a bit disconcerting to see the team give up so many points against teams like the Seahawks tonight and the Browns last weekend. I'll be checking out the Vikings/Niners game tomorrow to see Brett Favre. The Packers play again on Thursday night against the Colts on ESPN.[/QUOTE] Brandon Jackson looked good tonight, at least his stats did. (I don't have NFL network so I couldn't watch the game)

For future reference, ATDHE.net usually has links to streams of most games. That's what I use when the games aren't televised here.

Brett Favre is such a pussy, diva, and all of the above. Did you guys hear that he plays dumb about whether to come back or not just to skip the 'hard work' aka training camp? He plays dumb and is MIA until the time training camp is over and he decides to pop in just so he can play the games and not practice. I feel sorry for the guys on his team doing two-a-days and working their asses off... like Tarvaris Jackson for example. I hope the Vikings will wake the fuck up and move on already... I'm tired of his antics, and definitely tired of seeing him in the headlines all the time.

[quote name='Matt Young']For future reference, ATDHE.net usually has links to streams of most games. That's what I use when the games aren't televised here.[/QUOTE]

I use this too, it's awesome.

I actually agree. Tarvaris Jackson's QB rating his improved significantly every year he's been a professional QB (not even counting last year's 124, which doesn't really count since it's based on 15 attempts). He's not great by any means, but I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that the Vikings would suck without Favre. Is he a better option at this point? Probably. But I'm not sure the difference is big enough to justify the expense or bother.

I don't think there's a team in the league, that doesn't already have a great QB, that wouldn't take Brett Favre if they had the option, especially after seeing the season the Vikings had last season.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I don't think there's a team in the league, that doesn't already have a great QB, that wouldn't take Brett Favre if they had the option, especially after seeing the season the Vikings had last season.[/QUOTE]

While your point is well taken, and mostly true, I think teams which are so bad that they wouldn't even be good if they had Favre (take the Lions or Rams) would prefer to develop their young QBs than put up with the Favre circus. I've got no doubt that teams on the cusp or close to it like the 49ers or Cardinals would be happy to have him though, as you said.

[quote name='bvharris']While your point is well taken, and mostly true, I think teams which are so bad that they wouldn't even be good if they had Favre (take the Lions or Rams) would prefer to develop their young QBs than put up with the Favre circus. I've got no doubt that teams on the cusp or close to it like the 49ers or Cardinals would be happy to have him though, as you said.[/QUOTE]
Even then, those quarterbacks could learn a lot by watching him play in person. He can't make a bad team great by just being there since a QB needs at least a decent group of receivers to be effective.

I'm sure Minnesota could do just fine with Tarvaris Jackson, but Favre immediately gave a boost to that offense due to his experience and ability to run an offense that Jackson couldn't even dream of doing up to that point.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']He can't make a bad team great by just being there since a QB needs at least a decent group of receivers to be effective.[/QUOTE]

I disagree. You can have a great quaterback make good receivers. Good receivers do not make a good quarterback (or at least, a lot less often).

So he could make the five worst receivers in the league good? I'd think that they would need a base level of competency to be able to become a good group of receivers with him.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']So he could make the five worst receivers in the league good? I'd think that they would need a base level of competency to be able to become a good group of receivers with him.[/QUOTE]
They wouldn't be in the NFL if they were that bad.

They'd have to be in the NFL to be the worst receivers in the NFL.

I don't even know what JStryke is disagreeing with since he said a great quarterback can make receivers good, which is basically what I said in that they need to be decent for a great QB to build up into good receivers.

First off, im a HUGE Packers fan..My opionion however is not biased.. I truly feel like this is their year...My Picks..

AFC

East: Jets
West: Chargers
North: Ravens
South: Colts
WC- #1: Bengals and #2: Patriots
AFC Champ: Colts Vs Ravens ----- Colts

NFC

East: Dallas
West: 49ers
North: Packers
South: Saints

WC #1: Vikings and #2: Falcons

NFC Championship: Packers Vs. Dallas---- Packers

Superbowl: Packers Vs Colts---- Packers

Can a Vikings fan or someone who knows fill me in on the role the team sees Toby Gerhart playing? Is he the for sure number two back already? How much action he will be seeing in the regular season? I watched him tear it up at Stanford pretty much the whole year so I was looking forward to seeing him in the preseason against the Niners but they hardly used him. 4 rushes and 2 check down throws.

Just to check in with the rest of the community. Am I the only Ravens fan who does'nt like Troy Smith and thinks Marc Bulger should definately be the backup QB? I've never seen anything great out of smith but in the second half of that last preseason Bulger and the new guys tore it up.

[quote name='JStryke']I disagree. You can have a great quaterback make good receivers. Good receivers do not make a good quarterback (or at least, a lot less often).[/QUOTE]

I'd actually say that it's the opposite way around. You can have a mediocre QB made to look great by having great receivers who can go get the ball no matter what. A good QB cant make shitty receivers learn to catch.

[quote name='SEH']I'd actually say that it's the opposite way around. You can have a mediocre QB made to look great by having great receivers who can go get the ball no matter what. A good QB cant make shitty receivers learn to catch.[/QUOTE]

I can't speak for Leinart, but if Anderson gets any snaps in Arizona, he's got one of the only guys in the league that can salvage his career in Fitzgerald.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']That's if he can get the ball within ten feet of Fitzgerald.[/QUOTE]

Well, it's either gonna sail over his head or be directly on target... the receivers feet being his target.

Anybody watching the colts/packers game? This new fucking rule is the most absurd rule in any of the sports I watch.

The position of the umpire has been moved from behind the defensive linebackers (except in the last two minutes of each half) to the offensive backfield opposite the throwing arm of the quarterback in order to reduce the numerous times that the official has been run over during plays.

Also, the QB has to wait for the umpire to place the ball and get behind the RB in the backfield before he can snap the ball or the play is dead and a five yard penalty is enforced. This fucking rule negates the hurry-up offense that teams like the Colts like to use.

It happened once in the red zone, ok whatever, but the second time it caused addai to get hurt. This rule has no place being in the game . It seems like every damn year the NFL adds some useless rule, I really hope they change this rule before the regular season starts or the high octane, fast moving teams are the ones being penalized.

I'm sure Polian will just get another rule passed to favor the Colts.

The Pats D made Sam Bradford look really good today, they were awful. Their starters couldn't even stop the Rams 2nd team.

fuck the Colts. Their bitchin' lead to rules that basically leave wide receivers untouchable and are slowly killing the running game. Besides, the offense already has more than enough advantages already. The Colts will adjust and everything will be alright.
---

What do you guys think about the proposed 18 game season? While I love football I don't think I like this. I'd rather see better football on the field of a shorter season than the increase chance in injuries and expanded rosters (meaning players who couldn't cut it before are now in the NFL) that comes with a longer season.

They're really just turning the final two preseason games into regular season games. There certainly doesn't need to be 4 preseason games.

It'll mean more money for the league and more money for the players since they get a percentage of league revenue.

And before anyone starts... They scored 59 points! Running up the score! Wah wah wah. Not that it was Colts fans doing it.

[quote name='dafoomie']And before anyone starts... They scored 59 points! Running up the score! Wah wah wah. Not that it was Colts fans doing it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah like the game actually matters, its preseason man, don't get too excited.

DT778, its not the Colts fault for the rule changes. You can thank Roy Williams for what he did to TO. Every year after that they have always added some form of protection for WR/TE/RB. Also, how are they killing the running game? They don't have that great of a running attack so why not use what they have at QB and the WRs.

IDK how anybody can agree on the rule, regardless of the team you root for. Its just a shitty rule.

bread's done
Back