NIER - $14.99 Brand New at Gamestop!! BUY THIS GAME

[quote name='Ronin317']I love responses like this...then why the fuck did you click on the thread and actually respond to it if it had 'gamestop' clearly in the title?[/QUOTE]

To let the OP know to make another thread when Amazon has it at that price?

Might buy this for this cheap. The game looked painfully average in every review and gameplay vid I've seen, but as every single person before me has said before, the soundtrack was quite impressive.

If it plays terribly throughout, I'll just stop playing it. I appreciate story as much as anyone else, but if it's a literal chore to experience it, there's little reason to keep going. The only game I put up with despite its flaws as a game was Fragile Dreams, and that was only because I knew the game was relatively short. Really hard to apply that kind of masochistic behavior to a 40 hour RPG.

The graphics are crap, and the gameplay is a bit... I don't know, "plain", but I'm having fun with this game. I think it's a "love it" or "hate it" type though...

It's just too bad they brought over only the Gestalt version, the Replicant version is better.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']To let the OP know to make another thread when Amazon has it at that price?[/QUOTE]
Yeah, cause it's that guy's job to monitor Amazon's price on the game, and then make a thread about it? I'm sure he'll get right on it.

Picked this up for $20 during Black Friday week...

I put about 3 hours into it and just can't do it anymore. The music is amazing, the story seems interesting, and even the gameplay is competent (if unremarkable). The level design is terrrrrrrible, though. Dungeons are just a series of corridors, and aside from bosses and random non-hostile wildlife, there's been two main enemies. Too much running back and forth for fetch quests, too.

It's a bummer, because I like the characters (especially Kaine and her interactions with Weiss), but the game is a chore to play.

[quote name='Rage Goblin']Picked this up for $20 during Black Friday week...

I put about 3 hours into it and just can't do it anymore. The music is amazing, the story seems interesting, and even the gameplay is competent (if unremarkable). The level design is terrrrrrrible, though. Dungeons are just a series of corridors, and aside from bosses and random non-hostile wildlife, there's been two main enemies. Too much running back and forth for fetch quests, too.

It's a bummer, because I like the characters (especially Kaine and her interactions with Weiss), but the game is a chore to play.[/QUOTE]

I've got a few more hours invested in this game than you do, but I couldn't agree more.

I really want to like this game, but after the last hour or two I'm about ready to launch it into the wall. It's more of a chore than it is entertaining.

Bah!

Been waiting for this to drop below $20. I just sent my mom an email and told her to visit Gamestop if she goes out today (I'm studying abroad in Northern Ireland, so checking in-store is out of the question).

[quote name='Darknuke']Good price, but I don't buy anything from Gamestop. Period... I'll wait for a gamefly used deal or amazon price match.

...Agreed. -1 to that guy who whined about the "!!"[/QUOTE]

And a -1 to anyone who continuously whines about Gamestop. We get it already...

That said, I must agree with the game's detractors. I did not enjoy it at all. But, to each their own.

GREAT price!! I paid $45 for it back in May and do not regret it at all :) Very good music and story. Gameplay is lacking, but I had no problem putting ~25 hours into it to finish all the endings.

Thanks OP, this is the price I've been waiting for on this one. While I didn't want to spend more, I'm intrigued enough by it that I'm willing to risk $14.99.

A note for those planning to get it in-store -- GameStop is running an offer on their site right now where if you use the "PickUp@Store" option to reserve something and pick it up, they'll send you a coupon for 15% off your next online order:

http://www.gamestop.com/gs/landing/hops_info/?loc=homeflash4

Not the most awesome coupon ever by any means, but eh, why not? Even if I don't use the coupon, at least it means they're (in theory, if this service is reliable) holding my game for me until I can get there.

[quote name='spedmunki']I got this game at Kmart a couple weeks ago. Love it so far, although I loath the fishing mini game[/QUOTE]

From what I've heard, there's no reason to bother with it, so just skip doing it.

This game is just plain strange/weird and is technically sub par. But the bosses were cool to look at and the music was good.

[quote name='RussellmaniaKW']Justin McElroy of Joystiq hated it so much that he refused to finish his review:
http://www.joystiq.com/2010/05/03/nier-review-fail/

They talked about it on their podcast as well and it sounded horrible.[/QUOTE]

That's because he couldn't understand the concept of fishing where the giant red X was on the minimap. He made himself look like a fool and the entire rest of his review is unreadable because of that.

[quote name='RussellmaniaKW']Justin McElroy of Joystiq hated it so much that he refused to finish his review:

Okay normally I'm a lurker... but what's up with people complaining about fishing??? Took me a whole 2 minutes to learn how to fish - did the entire fishing quest in under 2 hours and thought it was SUPER easy....... and well I really really really SUCK when it comes to reflexes - I quit countless games because I can't jump, dodge etc LOL (I can probably name over 10 just now)...

Anywayz I listened to Justin's review and it was HILARIOUS! Thanks for the link - made me laugh quite a bit...

As for Nier - it's ABSOLUTELY worth 15 bucks! Heck I'd double it and say it's worth $30!

Cons:
-HORRIBLE next gen graphics
-Bleh fetch quests (skip if you dun want to do them)
-Can be short.... as short as 6-8 hours on EASY mode (after you've played it once.... as in you know everything that you have to do)... did a quick run for a trophy... oh and I skipped all the "talking" scenes

Pros:
-Believable voice acting (as in emotions dun sound fake)
-Good music/sound effects
-Fun boss fights
-Great story.... very emo though
-Love the cast.... honestly first game where I did not hate at least one or two characters until (see 2nd-point head)
-4 different endings... all worth playing through. Now you're thinking 4 endings WTF? But dun worry, since each time you beat the game they put you 65% into the game and you're practically immortal (since you completed the game, you come back at a high lv) and the entire 35% of the rest of the game takes less than 2 hours to get through.
-After the first ending, you see a TON of new sequences and you get to understand the "language" of the "bad" guys in the game (mobs you're fighting against) at which point you start hating your party - why a pro? 'cause it really screws with your emotion/perspective of things and it's fun to understand what the mobs you're killing are thinking

Anywayz game is not for everyone... but absolutely worth the price in my opinion and it's a billion times better than FFXIII (and yes I'm a FF fan)... you actually care about the cast and the antagonist of the game. Story is rather depressing - but again it makes you care about what's going on in the game. I remember playing FFXIII and at some point I was like "oh what did the L'Cie want again?"

Eitherway - this is just an opinion from someone who enjoys games with GOOD stories (even at the price of gameplay) over gameplay and crappy story (aka Star Ocean 4)

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/05/03/nier-review-fail/

He's a moron who apparently doesn't even understand basic gaming concepts 101, that all of us have experienced for 20 years (like following a GIANT RED X). For someone who works on a game website, he bitched like a casual gamer who doesn't understand games.

I'm not defending the game itself though, I rented it and it was terrible, but not because I got stuck on an easy part like he did.

I actually just finished Nier last night, having picked it up for $20 at Kmart a few weeks back. It had really grown on me by the end. Boss battles tend to drag on a bit (on Hard at least), and there's a lot of fetch quests, but the dialog and characters/world were just really worth experiencing. Definitely worth $15.

[quote name='Mystearica']I remember playing FFXIII and at some point I was like "oh what did the L'Cie want again?"[/QUOTE]

:lol::applause: LOL - this was exactly me!

[quote name='ninja dog']played a few hours and dealt with a very sparse and uninspired dungeon in that weird factory place, along with tons of fetch quests. It was pretty horrible.[/QUOTE]

This. While I'm a Square-Enix whore, and pretty much eat up anything they throw my direction, I had a really hard time liking this game. Great music, pretty good character designs and premise, but the game play was just awful IMO. Bland, empty environments, brain dead combat, and far too many fetch quests. Buyers beware.

[quote name='takotchi']
It's just too bad they brought over only the Gestalt version, the Replicant version is better.[/QUOTE]
What makes you say that? Both versions are completely identical except for the design of the protagonist and his relationship to Yonah.

Frankly, I think the story works much better as a father fighting for his daughter than a brother for his sister.

[quote name='Allnatural']What makes you say that? Both versions are completely identical except for the design of the protagonist and his relationship to Yonah.

Frankly, I think the story works much better as a father fighting for his daughter than a brother for his sister.[/QUOTE]

I thought the whole "wang" thing was a bit clearer in the other version as well... At least from what I've read.

Bought this game at the local GS. The guy behind the counter was trying to dissuade me not picking up this game cause he said it sucks and try to get me to buy the preowned instead. I gotta be honest here, this is the first time a GS employee try to talk me out from buying a game and I felt like punching him in the face cause he would repeatedly say, buy the preowned buy the preowned, you wont like the game. fuck YOU!

[quote name='UNDERSTAR']Bought this game at the local GS. The guy behind the counter was trying to dissuade me not picking up this game cause he said it sucks and try to get me to buy the preowned instead. I gotta be honest here, this is the first time a GS employee try to talk me out from buying a game and I felt like punching him in the face cause he would repeatedly say, buy the preowned buy the preowned, you wont like the game. fuck YOU![/QUOTE]

I'm honestly surprised this is the first time you've run into that. I worked at GameStop in college and it was one of our best pitches; tell the customer to buy it used, if they don't like it, return it. Most customers tended to like that option if they were on the fence about a game.

Seems like this is something I'm going to try used at Gamestop. Even if it ends up at gamefly for $10, I'd rather pay the $1.50 more to have the option to return it after 7 days if I don't like it.

[quote name='KeeperX']I'm honestly surprised this is the first time you've run into that. I worked at GameStop in college and it was one of our best pitches; tell the customer to buy it used, if they don't like it, return it. Most customers tended to like that option if they were on the fence about a game.[/QUOTE]

I cant tell you how many times buying used has saved me.

ended up buried with last post on the last page so i'm reposting:

Which version is superior?! gonna head to GS in a little bit

[quote name='lawl']Which version is superior? 360? PS3?[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, the US version has the same characters in both versions. From a technical standpoint, I think both versions are about even. I don't notice any slowdowns or anything.

The pixel counters haven't done the Nier games, at least not that I've seen... so I don't know if they run at the same resolution.

[quote name='JaylisJayP']I cant tell you how many times buying used has saved me.[/QUOTE]

In this case, it's a whole $2 (well, $3.30 with Edge) difference. Personally, for that little difference, I'd rather just have the new one.

Edit: Oh, forgot about the return policy. Doubtful that I'll actually get to it within 7 days anyway, though, unless I drop one of the games I'm currently playing, so it's kind of a moot point for me.

[quote name='Mystearica']I remember playing FFXIII and at some point I was like "oh what did the L'Cie want again?"[/QUOTE]
I don't think the writers themselves ever really figured that one out.

buy it on gamestop.com, if you have the 10$ off coupon, it'll be $5. add anything thats $10 you want to make it $25 for SAVER to work. might be worth it, how does this compare to FFXIII?

I believe this game was originally a 360 exclusive, so I'm willing to bet that it runs slightly better on 360. I'm sure they are both pretty much the same though.

the old $10 off coupons that you got online, with like NSMB and SSFIV, they only work online and do stack with edge but do not stack with promo codes

[quote name='KeeperX']I'm honestly surprised this is the first time you've run into that. I worked at GameStop in college and it was one of our best pitches; tell the customer to buy it used, if they don't like it, return it. Most customers tended to like that option if they were on the fence about a game.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but he wasn't on the fence about buying Nier, the Gamestop employee just kept telling him it sucked and he wouldn't like it.

Pretty dick move just to get his used numbers up.

[quote name='takotchi']Unfortunately, the US version has the same characters in both versions. From a technical standpoint, I think both versions are about even. I don't notice any slowdowns or anything.

The pixel counters haven't done the Nier games, at least not that I've seen... so I don't know if they run at the same resolution.[/QUOTE]
Theres not, like, disc switching on the 360 version, is there?

To people claiming it's slow and what not, you have to get past the beginning.

Trust me, the game designers even realized this. Once you beat the beginning one time, you can restart the game after that section every time. I almost quit, but stuck with it. I was rewarded.

I'd highly recommend this game at $15, overall it's one of the best rpgs I've played this year. But the side quests and fishing will definitely try your patience. For those of you asking for 360/ps3 comparisons, I've seen it played on both systems and there wasn't any difference as far as I could see.

bread's done
Back