NIER - $14.99 Brand New at Gamestop!! BUY THIS GAME

I have to chime in about fishing in the wrong spot. The correct spot is marked with an indicator on your map - and as others have said, it takes about 20 seconds to catch a fish there. If you fish right next to where you get the fishing rod, it's infinitely more difficult and frustrating.

That said, I also fished in the wrong spot for about 30 minutes before I figured it out...

Cool, thanks for the explanation guys...if it's like a skill you level up, and the single fish you need to catch in the game is easier, that makes more sense!

Alright, probably silly of me but I think I'm ordering the third Mario vs. Donkey Kong (which I hopefully haven't already bought :lol:) plus Neir with my credit at Gamestop :)

[quote name='Wolfpup']From the video it looks like it...well it feels like it takes like 10 minutes of perfect reactions to the fish to catch the damn thing. If that's the kind of design choices that went in to this...[/QUOTE]

He was fishing in the wrong spot. Your map shows you where to go and if you fail 3 times, you're given the fish.

Or...not. Well dang, nevermind. Both versions sold out while I was on here trying to find out about them :lol:

I also fished the wrong spot for a few minutes before going online to find out what to od. The game does a horrible job of explaining where to go since you are given the rod on a beach and then told to fish. Makes sense you would stand right there to fish, but nooo, they mark a spot on your map without any other notice. Bad game design aside, I felt like an idiot not noticing it myself.

Just picked up a copy for myself. I have been wanting to try this game out but just waiting for a nice price like this. Too bad it will sit in line on my shelf with the other untouched games for now, until I finish up the handful of games I am currently playing. Thanks OP.

Thanks for the clarification everyone. I will not put down the baby.
I bet that reviewer lost a lot of credibility after that mistake eh?
Did he ever respond to his little tantrum video? Embarrassing...

[quote name='AceBB6']Thanks for the clarification everyone. I will not put down the baby.
I bet that reviewer lost a lot of credibility after that mistake eh?
Did he ever respond to his little tantrum video? Embarrassing...[/QUOTE]

Protip: Destructoid is not a srs bzns gaming site.

GameStop did the "We only got gutted copies left :(" so I walked out with nothing. Not gonna support that.

Meriden, CT Mall has two "gutted" copies left for the 360 at $15, looks like PS3 had 5+ copies at one location there.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']GameStop did the "We only got gutted copies left :(" so I walked out with nothing. Not gonna support that.

Meriden, CT Mall has two "gutted" copies left for the 360 at $15, looks like PS3 had 5+ copies at one location there.[/QUOTE]

That sucks, mine still had 3 sealed copies for PS3 so I picked one up :D

[quote name='Monsta Mack']GameStop did the "We only got gutted copies left :(" so I walked out with nothing. Not gonna support that.[/QUOTE]

At this point, I've resigned myself to the fact that my supporting or not supporting their gutting policies doesn't matter to them one way or the other, and they're not going to change. I still don't buy a lot of stuff there because of it, but when a deal like this that's good enough to "make up" for the gutting comes up, I bite the bullet and accept it (assuming that the game is still in perfect condition other than having its plastic removed).

Of course, this time I got lucky and they still had sealed copies, so it wasn't an issue.

[quote name='arcane93']At this point, I've resigned myself to the fact that my supporting or not supporting their gutting policies doesn't matter to them one way or the other, and they're not going to change. I still don't buy a lot of stuff there because of it, but when a deal like this that's good enough to "make up" for the gutting comes up, I bite the bullet and accept it (assuming that the game is still in perfect condition other than having its plastic removed).

Of course, this time I got lucky and they still had sealed copies, so it wasn't an issue.[/QUOTE]

I feel exactly the same way. The is no way for Gamestop to guarantee that even a new game hasn't been tried out by the staff since everything is gutted. Hell, I've even seen pre-oders gutted there. That's why I only buy used games or great deals from Gamestop. But the price on this game is so low, you might as well consider it used. If you want this game at a great price then just accept that it's gutted and buy it.

[quote name='Brother Daz']Its when they open new games and take the disks out (theft prevention)[/QUOTE]

but they sell at used prices though...right?

[quote name='ninja dog']but they sell at used prices though...right?[/QUOTE]
Nope, new price.

If they sold at used prices nobody would care.

Seems shifty at best to me. A lot of us HATE it.

It's why I have trouble finding ways to spend credit at Gamestop. I've taken to ordering online, as so far those always seem to be new. Otherwise, I want half off or more (of the REAL current price) if it's going to be open.

I don't know many people who are alright with that, and don't know why they keep doing it. They apparently don't get how many sales it loses them.

[quote name='Monroeski']Nope, new price.

If they sold at used prices nobody would care.[/QUOTE]

Actually I still would because their "used" prices are pathetic (ooooh, $2 off :roll: ) and they gut everything half the time. I'd want more like half off or more.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Seems shifty at best to me. A lot of us HATE it.

It's why I have trouble finding ways to spend credit at Gamestop. I've taken to ordering online, as so far those always seem to be new. Otherwise, I want half off or more (of the REAL current price) if it's going to be open.

I don't know many people who are alright with that, and don't know why they keep doing it. They apparently don't get how many sales it loses them.[/QUOTE]
It's more likely you're using anecdotal evidence to overestimate the number of sales it loses them. They wouldn't keep doing it if it wasn't working out for them.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Seems shifty at best to me. A lot of us HATE it.

I don't know many people who are alright with that, and don't know why they keep doing it. They apparently don't get how many sales it loses them.[/QUOTE]

I really doubt it loses them many sales. And as far as why they gut, it's probably cheaper using minimum wage labor to gut and store games then to actually buy, run and maintain a real theft prevention system at their stores. Although I liked the way Game Crazy did it. Keep all new product on the wall behind the counter.

[quote name='EvilIA']Yesterday the PS3 new version was $19.99 and the used version was $12.99 in store.[/QUOTE]

Did you actually have them scan the new one, or was that just the price sticker? Sometimes the stores are, um, less than prompt in updating their price stickers, but it will still ring up for the correct price on their registers.

[quote name='Wolfpup']I don't know many people who are alright with that, and don't know why they keep doing it. They apparently don't get how many sales it loses them.[/QUOTE]

Eh, what you have to keep in mind is that we're not really their target audience. GameStop is primarily a mall store, and it sells primarily to the mall crowd -- soccer moms looking for something to act as a surrogate parent, teens looking to blow their allowance, etc. Those people don't think it through that far. Serious gamers and collectors make up too little of their business for GameStop to care what they think.

[quote name='mogamer']And as far as why they gut, it's probably cheaper using minimum wage labor to gut and store games then to actually buy, run and maintain a real theft prevention system at their stores.[/QUOTE]

Yup, this. And also cheaper than any business they lose, more than likely. I'm sure that they know that gutting loses them some business, and that they've spent time analyzing how much of an impact it has. Presumably, then, they've determined that gutting is still more cost effective overall.

I'm not defending them, I think it's a shitty practice too, but I'm just being realistic that all of the internet rage that CAG can possibly contain still isn't going to stop them.

[quote name='mogamer']Although I liked the way Game Crazy did it. Keep all new product on the wall behind the counter.[/QUOTE]

The problem, I think, is that GameStop has too much stock to do that. They generally do have the wall behind the counter filled with product, and they still gut. Honestly, I think that one of Game Crazy's downfalls was that their selection wasn't always the greatest.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well the "gutted" copy had deep scratches. Both of the stores it was the same case. Now $15 is quite a steal of a price, however KMart B&M, Wal-Mart.com and Amazon both have the game new for $20 so I would rather pay the $5 extra for a new copy then a gutted copy.

Oh, and they won't charge me the used price for a gutted copy despite some rather large scratches. Last I checked when I bought all my new games off Amazon they never had large scratches on the games.

Edit: Just bought Amazon.com's last new copy for $19.96, which is about $4ish more when factoring in tax but I also get 3x points this month so whatever *shrugs*

That could be that we're too small a market. I don't know though-just because something's costing sales doesn't mean a business is bright enough to stop it. All I hear on here are people who sometimes won't even shop at Gamestop at all because of it.

I'd switch to something else if I could easily trade games in (versus having to mail stuff to Amazon or whatever).

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Well the "gutted" copy had deep scratches. Both of the stores it was the same case. Now $15 is quite a steal of a price, however KMart B&M, Wal-Mart.com and Amazon both have the game new for $20 so I would rather pay the $5 extra for a new copy then a gutted copy.[/QUOTE]

Heh, yeah, that's the dealbreaker for me as well, regardless of how good the price is. If the disc on a gutted "new" game is scratched at all (I'm even talking minor light surface scratches, not just deep ones), I won't buy it, no matter how good the price is. There are some GameStop stores around here that I just won't go in at all anymore because they don't handle the games well when they gut them, and some that I'll only buy DS (hard to scratch those) games at. But there are a few others that generally seem to take better care when doing it. I assume that it must all be a matter of employee training and manager vigilance.

What really gets to me is when I reject a disc because it's scratched, and the employee behind the counter gives me attitude because of it. I'm the customer, and I'll set my standards on what I'll give my money for, thank you very much. There are a couple stores around here which have lost my business permanently because of that. Fortunately, they're ones that are a little out of my way anyway; the ones that I "frequent" (insomuch as I really frequent GameStop) all have much nicer employees.

[quote name='Wolfpup']That could be that we're too small a market. I don't know though-just because something's costing sales doesn't mean a business is bright enough to stop it. All I hear on here are people who sometimes won't even shop at Gamestop at all because of it.

I'd switch to something else if I could easily trade games in (versus having to mail stuff to Amazon or whatever).[/QUOTE]

1. The number of people that post on message boards about stuff like this are an incredibly small minority (there are 739 people viewing the board right now; how many of those are posting?), and
2. Just because they talk a big game about boycotting doesn't mean they actually do it.

You also hear practically everybody here posting about how huge their backlog is; that's not something the average person does. There are even people in this thread giving perfect examples of why they still do it.

"If I could trade games somewhere else, I'd stop going to Gamestop, but I can't so I won't."
"This is such a great deal I'm buying it even though it's a gutted copy."
"I buy gutted as long as there are no scratches."

etc. etc. It saves them a ton of money on theft prevention services, for the most part their customer base doesn't care, and even a large chunk of the group that DOES care is willing to buy them anyway.

I say we start an internet petition against gamestop. If we get enough people to sign, I think we could get them to close up shop completely.

[quote name='Monroeski']"This is such a great deal I'm buying it even though it's a gutted copy."

etc. etc. It saves them a ton of money on theft prevention services, for the most part their customer base doesn't care, and even a large chunk of the group that DOES care is willing to buy them anyway.[/QUOTE]

Well, to be fair, it is still costing them business. I'll only buy from them when there's a really good deal, but I take all of my other gaming purchases elsewhere. That means that every time I want a new title badly enough to pay full price or close to full price (doesn't happen terribly often, but it does), or every time the same deal can be found elsewhere, Amazon, Best Buy, etc. get my money and GameStop doesn't. It would be a lot easier for me to go to GameStop (there's one practically up the street from my office, and another two easily accessible on my commute), but unless the deal is really good, significantly better than I can get somewhere else, I'll go out of my way to go elsewhere to get a sealed copy.

I honestly can't remember when I last paid more than $20 for a game at a GameStop store (I have purchased more expensive titles from their website, but that's different, and in the majority of those cases it was for a deal too). What this usually ends up meaning is that I'm buying their clearance titles, the ones that they've marked down to move out. Presumably they're making less profit on them (or possibly even taking a little bit of a loss just to recoup their costs and clear shelf space). Even when I do shop there, they probably don't really make a whole lot of money off of me.

So yeah, I am still voting with my wallet. Unfortunately, every time I do go in the store, there's usually at least a couple people with their kids shopping as well, and they don't care. So I'm essentially out-voted.

[quote name='arcane93']Heh, yeah, that's the dealbreaker for me as well, regardless of how good the price is. If the disc on a gutted "new" game is scratched at all (I'm even talking minor light surface scratches, not just deep ones), I won't buy it, no matter how good the price is.[/QUOTE]
FYI, the copy I bought at KMart (sealed, of course) had a lot of scratches on it.

Not that I don't agree with you. I haven't shopped at Gamestop for years, but buying sealed is hardly a guarantee in my experience.

[quote name='arcane93']Well, to be fair, it is still costing them business. I'll only buy from them when there's a really good deal, but I take all of my other gaming purchases elsewhere. That means that every time I want a new title badly enough to pay full price or close to full price (doesn't happen terribly often, but it does), or every time the same deal can be found elsewhere, Amazon, Best Buy, etc. get my money and GameStop doesn't. It would be a lot easier for me to go to GameStop (there's one practically up the street from my office, and another two easily accessible on my commute), but unless the deal is really good, significantly better than I can get somewhere else, I'll go out of my way to go elsewhere to get a sealed copy.

I honestly can't remember when I last paid more than $20 for a game at a GameStop store (I have purchased more expensive titles from their website, but that's different, and in the majority of those cases it was for a deal too). What this usually ends up meaning is that I'm buying their clearance titles, the ones that they've marked down to move out. Presumably they're making less profit on them (or possibly even taking a little bit of a loss just to recoup their costs and clear shelf space). Even when I do shop there, they probably don't really make a whole lot of money off of me.

So yeah, I am still voting with my wallet. Unfortunately, every time I do go in the store, there's usually at least a couple people with their kids shopping as well, and they don't care. So I'm essentially out-voted.[/QUOTE]
Sales Revenue doesn't exist in a vacuum, though. To really oversimplify things, if they find some new idea that will save them $100 in overhead but it will cost them a single $50 sale, they will go ahead and do it because they're still making money.

Gutting copies helps prevent theft and it keeps them from needing to purchase some outside product or service (security guards, electronic tags, whatever). Of course it affects their sales negatively because no matter how small the minority is that won't buy gutted I would venture to say that there is nobody out there MORE likely to buy because it's gutted, so the sales hit is one way in the negative direction; The thing is that even though their sales revenue may suffer a tick they are saving so much money elsewhere that they come out on top.

[quote name='Allnatural']FYI, the copy I bought at KMart (sealed, of course) had a lot of scratches on it.

Not that I don't agree with you. I haven't shopped at Gamestop for years, but buying sealed is hardly a guarantee in my experience.[/QUOTE]

Heh, no it's not, which is severely unfortunate. However, I'd say that um . . . 98% of the time (pulling a number out of my ass here) it is. In general (and I realize there are exceptions to this), a game is only going to be scratched up in a sealed case if the disc has come loose (I always give the case a shake to be sure before buying). Also, if I had bought a sealed copy in the store and it had "a lot" of scratches on it, you can bet that I'd be back in that store the next day demanding an exchange for another copy.

That being said, I guess that is in some ways an advantage to gutting -- I can actually see exactly what I'm getting before the store gets my money. With a sealed copy I'm kind of trusting that what's inside the case is what I expect.

[quote name='Monroeski']The thing is that even though their sales revenue may suffer a tick they are saving so much money elsewhere that they come out on top.[/QUOTE]

Heh, yup, no disagreement here -- that's pretty much what I was saying earlier. :)

[quote name='kylerg']Why can't they just put empty cases with art they print themselves? (Because that would cost them money, I know).[/QUOTE]
Money AND inventory space. You'd have to store all those extra boxes and printing materials somewhere. Plus, with that system they'd have to worry about boxes being on the shelf when the game isn't actually in stock; currently the system is self-regulating in that respect because you basically can't sell the last copy of the game without putting it in the box that's on the shelf.

[quote name='arcane93']Did you actually have them scan the new one, or was that just the price sticker? Sometimes the stores are, um, less than prompt in updating their price stickers, but it will still ring up for the correct price on their registers.
[/QUOTE]

Yes. I gave them the box and he scanned the sticker. He said $19.99 I did my best to look at the screen and see if he wasn't fibbing.

When I bought my copy of Neir I got it sealed but I really didn't care if it came gutted or not.

Now my problem with gamestop gutting games is you don't know if the employee played them. I already got burned by those fucking assholes because the employee was a dumbass. I bought a gutted Bad Company 2 for PC a few months ago, brought it home, found out some jackhole used my multiplayer code. (Since it was a PC game it was brought from the back meaning an employee used my multiplayer code). I bitched to gamestop.com about it, and even got factual proof of the e-mail who used the account and they were like oh sorry here is a new copy and proceeded like nothing happened when one of your employees stole from your store.

Also one reason I think gamestop doesn't sell gutted game for less is most people are clueless that employees try out games before hand. I am sure if you walked up to some random soccer mom and explained this situation they would probably want a discount off gutted games.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']and even got factual proof of the e-mail who used the account and they were like oh sorry here is a new copy and proceeded like nothing happened when one of your employees stole from your store.[/QUOTE]

They're going to do that in front of the customer -- stores will nearly always try to hide or play off their internal problems to the customer. If you provided them with enough info to clearly identify who that employee was, though, then the real telling thing would be whether he or she still worked there by the next time you went back to the store.

oh gamestop and their gutted policy. makes me laugh. I do try to avoid gamestop as much as possible. Last thing I bought from them was Yakuza 3 brand new and that's because it came out cheaper than amazon (bought at launch with coupon code, free shipping, etc). Since then, I avoid like the plague.

Their gutted policy is crap. I remember when I went to buy .Hack GU on the week it came out. Asked the employer about it, he goes and gets the box from the shelf, comes back to the front desk to get the disk. I stop him and ask him, don't you have one new or shrink wrapped. And the ass has the audacity to tell me, "would you like me to shrink wrap it for you". Told him "no thanks", walked out and bought the damn game at Fry's. fucking hate those assholes!!! (though not all GS employees are like that)

Also the sexist ones piss me off. (though that's not as much of a problem now as it was years ago)

Still if you don't mind gamestop, this is a great deal on a great game!

[quote name='SPELLPLAQUE']Back to Nier, what's the playthrough time?[/QUOTE]

depends. storywise (no skipping cutscenes) probably like 10 hours. Or maybe more or less. I know before I started the second playthrough part I think I had like 12 hrs but I was doing the quests so that may have added to my time.

You can definitely do it in less time if you skip cutscenes and speed run it. (you get a trophy/achievement for this).

As for getting everything done and getting plat or full achievement, that may take from 40-60 hrs from what I hear.

edit: I meant to say second part not playthrough.

I work a local game store, and I did the price drop to 12 over the weekend, and now because of this thread I am buying it...thanks

[quote name='oni_saru_sensei']depends. storywise (no skipping cutscenes) probably like 10 hours. Or maybe more or less. I know before I started the second playthrough part I think I had like 12 hrs but I was doing the quests so that may have added to my time.

You can definitely do it in less time if you skip cutscenes and speed run it. (you get a trophy/achievement for this).

As for getting everything done and getting plat or full achievement, that may take from 40-60 hrs from what I hear.

edit: I meant to say second part not playthrough.[/QUOTE]

Well, I've been doing sidequests as they pop up, and I just finished the Forest of Myth at about thirteen hours playtime already, and I get the impression I'm not very far story-wise at all.
So I can't even imagine how anyone could finish in ten hours.

[quote name='oni_saru_sensei']As for getting everything done and getting plat or full achievement, that may take from 40-60 hrs from what I hear.[/QUOTE]

I'm actually taking my time doing all the quests I can right now before I continue the story. Normally I dislike fetch quests but DAMN the music is so good! I could go between the home town and the seaside town for hours.

bread's done
Back