NIER - $14.99 Brand New at Gamestop!! BUY THIS GAME

[quote name='nnickers']Well, I've been doing sidequests as they pop up, and I just finished the Forest of Myth at about thirteen hours playtime already, and I get the impression I'm not very far story-wise at all.
So I can't even imagine how anyone could finish in ten hours.[/QUOTE]

Apparently it's possible. If you don't do sidequests, go straight to your objectives, don't waste too much time on other things, it's apparently possible to finish the game under 15 hrs with cutscenes on the first playthrough. =O I was wrong to say 10 hrs since by the looks of it, people that did this finished around the 11 hr 30 min mark to 14 hr mark. Also some of them played it on easy.

I hear on one side it's an action RPG, and on the other it's a grind fest. If it's an ARPG I'm in...if it's a grind fest, I may pass...what is it? Someone who knows.

[quote name='mr_bungle']I hear on one side it's an action RPG, and on the other it's a grind fest. If it's an ARPG I'm in...if it's a grind fest, I may pass...what is it? Someone who knows.[/QUOTE]

It's a grind fest only if you want to platinum/1000g it. If you just want to play the game, you do not need to grind for anything ever. Just by doing the main quests, I beat the game in about 11-12 hours and that's with watching all the cutscenes, listening to all the dialogue, and playing on normal.

[quote name='Monroeski']1. The number of people that post on message boards about stuff like this are an incredibly small minority (there are 739 people viewing the board right now; how many of those are posting?), and
2. Just because they talk a big game about boycotting doesn't mean they actually do it.

You also hear practically everybody here posting about how huge their backlog is; that's not something the average person does. There are even people in this thread giving perfect examples of why they still do it.

"If I could trade games somewhere else, I'd stop going to Gamestop, but I can't so I won't."
"This is such a great deal I'm buying it even though it's a gutted copy."
"I buy gutted as long as there are no scratches."

etc. etc. It saves them a ton of money on theft prevention services, for the most part their customer base doesn't care, and even a large chunk of the group that DOES care is willing to buy them anyway.[/QUOTE]

I never buy anything from Gamestop and I'm willing to pay more for a sealed copy so I don't care what kind of deals Gamestop has.

However, I do agree that most people probably don't give a shit.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']It's a grind fest only if you want to platinum/1000g it. If you just want to play the game, you do not need to grind for anything ever. Just by doing the main quests, I beat the game in about 11-12 hours and that's with watching all the cutscenes, listening to all the dialogue, and playing on normal.[/QUOTE]

Ah, thanks. I usually like to 1000 games I truly like, but I don't know if I would on this one or not. I may pick it up if I go to a GS anytime soon.

[quote name='Optical']Is one version better than the other? I have both consoles.[/QUOTE]

nah, they're essentially the same. pick the one you feel the most comfortable with.

Just picked up my copy tonight. I didn't think they'd have it in stock or if they did, they would only have one of those opened items but the guy was totally cool and made sure it was a new and sealed copy.

He was saying he hates the policy and it hurts him whenever he has to open them up. He also said he understands why a lot of people give Gamestop crap about the policy. Nice guy. Not at all what I expected after hearing horror stories about employees being dicks.

Rock on, guys. I'm off to play it now!

[quote name='mr_bungle']I hear on one side it's an action RPG, and on the other it's a grind fest. If it's an ARPG I'm in...if it's a grind fest, I may pass...what is it? Someone who knows.[/QUOTE]

You should definitely buy it. It's an action RPG and it requires ZERO grinding (at least on normal and i presume easy, don't know about hard). I'm over half way through and its a game I've really been enjoying as of late.

The only way I ever buy from Gamestop is if it's new and online (which apparently I haven't done in a long time...nothing remains under my order history). Dealing with their employees is an exercise in patience. If I want something, all you need to do is ring it up, take my payment and send me on my merry way. I don't want your advice, commentary or feedback about whether or not a game is worth playing. I don't want to buy the game used. Unless it's defective, I won't be returning the game. It's really an insulting chain of events when that happens. It's hard to be cordial when someone basically ignores what they're being told.

ARPG.....grindfest...

Yes, and not really. The game has quite varied gameplay over the full playtime, but it certainly is never that deep. Jack of all trades, master of none, you know? Rpg mechanics are not very hardcore neither is the combat "much" more elevated than button mashing, most of the time. Was fun though. It certainly is grindy for certain quests and materials you'll need, but the majority of quests are nothing but for money which you don't really use later on(though some do have good stories). A lot of the weapons are unnecessary except for a specific ending you need 100% of them.

I absolutely recommend this game, but definitely not strictly for the gameplay. It's never bad, but it certainly isn't the star.

About 3 weeks ago I went to a Gamestop to pick up a new copy of Metroid Prime Trilogy. When the guy who worked there handed me the game I stared at it for a moment -- not because it was a new copy which is kinda hard to find -- but because I was actually holding a sealed game in my hand that GS hadn't gutted, LOL.

Their policy needs to change.

tried doing the instore pickup for my copy of the game and got it today. apparently it was the last copy and thus the display copy. When I went to pick it up it was already stickered shut so I can't "open it" and return the game. But once I broke the sticker to look at the disc inside the game, I found various fingerprints and scratches on the disc. Not quite as "new" as I had hoped... -_-

[quote name='espionage']tried doing the instore pickup for my copy of the game and got it today. apparently it was the last copy and thus the display copy. When I went to pick it up it was already stickered shut so I can't "open it" and return the game. But once I broke the sticker to look at the disc inside the game, I found various fingerprints and scratches on the disc. Not quite as "new" as I had hoped... -_-[/QUOTE]

...and that's why the GS policy is sh*t.

[quote name='espionage']When I went to pick it up it was already stickered shut so I can't "open it" and return the game. But once I broke the sticker to look at the disc inside the game, I found various fingerprints and scratches on the disc. Not quite as "new" as I had hoped... -_-[/QUOTE]

Lesson learned: Always, always, always insist on seeing the disc from an opened/gutted game before buying. You can't open their sticker after you've bought it, look at the disc, and return it if it's not acceptable, but they can open their sticker before you've bought it and let you see it. Make your purchase of the game contingent upon getting to inspect the disc first. Hopefully they don't give you any hassle, but if they do resist opening it, be insistent. Ask for a manager if necessary. After all, it's just a sticker, they put it on there, and they can put another one on. They do want the sale, so eventually they will give in.

It's a shame that you even have to go to such hassle, but that's GameStop for you.

Picked this up for $9.99 at GameFly the other day with free shipping. Really looking forward to this, heard the soundtrack was amazing :)

Originally Posted by Monroeski
1. The number of people that post on message boards about stuff like this are an incredibly small minority (there are 739 people viewing the board right now; how many of those are posting?), and
2. Just because they talk a big game about boycotting doesn't mean they actually do it.

You also hear practically everybody here posting about how huge their backlog is; that's not something the average person does. There are even people in this thread giving perfect examples of why they still do it.

"If I could trade games somewhere else, I'd stop going to Gamestop, but I can't so I won't."
"This is such a great deal I'm buying it even though it's a gutted copy."
"I buy gutted as long as there are no scratches."

etc. etc. It saves them a ton of money on theft prevention services, for the most part their customer base doesn't care, and even a large chunk of the group that DOES care is willing to buy them anyway.

I haven't bought a game from Gamestop since I started fully boycotting them in July. Which, yeah I know isn't that long, but before that, the only things I had bought from them in like 2 years were during that glitch sale they had. I made a bunch of pre-orders at $45. Cancelled the ones that hadn't already gone through after July though. Wasn't worth it.

Gamestop can go to Hell. There IS better places to trade games. Amazon for one, Goozex (my preferred method) for two, and CAG for three. If you are trading at Gamestop, you are clearly too lazy to get the full worth of your game back, so you're obviously going to be too lazy to actually boycott a company lol.

[quote name='SynGamer'] Really looking forward to this, heard the soundtrack was amazing :)[/QUOTE]

It is. I heard the DLC OST is badass to - but since it didn't have achievements I passed lol. I also like the voice acting in the game, specifically the talking book.

I beat the game in 14 hours and got one of the endings. If you end up enjoying it a great amount theres four more endings to get, but read a guide as one of the endings requires you to delete ALL of your saves.

It's definitely a decent game. Probably the "best" of the odd three released on the 360 - Infinite Undiscovery, Nier and The Last Remnant. I enjoyed it more then Star Ocean but would probably give it just below FFXIII even though that's the worst non-online FF I ever played.

Well 4 endings total, so three more to get, though each subsequent playthrough only has you play through the second half of the story again. Playthrough two is pretty mandatory in my eyes as it has a LOT of extra cutscenes and stuff you never saw the first time around. Ending C and D however are the exact same as play through 2 except the ending, which merits a speed run or honestly youtube if you just want to watch them.

Yes, the final ending has you delete all of your game data, and they aren't kidding. However it's very fitting.

Oh and remember SE published, not developed. Strictly a Cavia made game.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Vortextk']Well 4 endings total, so three more to get, though each subsequent playthrough only has you play through the second half of the story again. Playthrough two is pretty mandatory in my eyes as it has a LOT of extra cutscenes and stuff you never saw the first time around. Ending C and D however are the exact same as play through 2 except the ending, which merits a speed run or honestly youtube if you just want to watch them.

Yes, the final ending has you delete all of your game data, and they aren't kidding. However it's very fitting.[/QUOTE]
Nice, I love RPGs with multiple endings, dang do I miss them. In the second play through do you keep your stats/weapons/magic/etc.???

Psss... btw, where is the chicken egg located?

You keep everything in each subsequent play, yes. Again, you only play the second half though. Would be a bit unfair if you started again naked =P

[quote name='coldwine']About 3 weeks ago I went to a Gamestop to pick up a new copy of Metroid Prime Trilogy. When the guy who worked there handed me the game I stared at it for a moment -- not because it was a new copy which is kinda hard to find -- but because I was actually holding a sealed game in my hand that GS hadn't gutted, LOL.

Their policy needs to change.[/QUOTE]

Picked my copy up yesterday at GS - new & factory sealed.

[quote name='Wolfpup']What's Gamestop's new policy? :hot:[/QUOTE]

Heh, I did a double-take at first too, but I think he actually meant their policy regarding "new" games (i.e. gutting).

[quote name='arcane93']Lesson learned: Always, always, always insist on seeing the disc from an opened/gutted game before buying. You can't open their sticker after you've bought it, look at the disc, and return it if it's not acceptable, but they can open their sticker before you've bought it and let you see it. Make your purchase of the game contingent upon getting to inspect the disc first. Hopefully they don't give you any hassle, but if they do resist opening it, be insistent. Ask for a manager if necessary. After all, it's just a sticker, they put it on there, and they can put another one on. They do want the sale, so eventually they will give in.

It's a shame that you even have to go to such hassle, but that's GameStop for you.[/QUOTE]

Actually you can. A kid there once sold me a new copy of blue dragon that was gutted. I asked him if he had a sealed copy and he said that this one is new and never played they just gut them for display. Got it home and saw all the disc had rings scratched from extensive play and water stains from trying to clean the hell outta the disc. Took it back and called him on the bs. Returned it for a new factory sealed copy. Havn't bought a gutted copy since.

[quote name='arcane93']Heh, I did a double-take at first too, but I think he actually meant their policy regarding "new" games (i.e. gutting).[/QUOTE]

Oh, yeah that really sucks! I don't buy in store anymore because of it...it SEEMS like you get a new copy if you order online...I hope. So far it actually seems like their online service is nice, which is good 'cause I've always got credit to burn!

[quote name='macuseros9']Actually you can.[/QUOTE]

Well, ok, I'm not saying that it's impossible -- but it becomes your word versus theirs, and depending upon how difficult they decide to be, it can be a great deal of hassle. Better to just check them out before even buying, if you're going to buy, and avoid the headache.

[quote name='simmias']Edit: never mind. Was going to point out that amazon pricematched, but I'm way late to the game on that one.[/QUOTE]

Well... thanks for this comment. I just purchased my copy at Amazon!

Sorry new policy = gutted games. I was actually in Gamestop, game in hand, and little birder whispered "Try Amazon one Mo Thyme Fool". Did I fail to mention my little bird is a Mr T-bird

[quote name='SPELLPLAQUE']For anyone on the fence about Gamestops new policy. Amazon has priced matched the 360 version[/QUOTE]

hell yeah! I wasn't gonna get this game cause GS only had it. Now that amazon PMed, I'm in for one!

I will never EVER buy a gutted copy from GS. If I want to buy something that is opened, regardless of if their "employees" played it or not, I'd want a discount or not buy it at all. But you know GS won't ever go the extra mile to make you happy.

Regardless, I'm glad that people are enjoying Nier now. When it cam out I kinda figured it'd get lost in the FFXIII hype (and it kinda did), but better late than never as it's a hidden gem (after the first few hours).

I picked up a new/sealed copy of it after looking for a few days. Pretty stoked!

I also managed to get a new/sealed copy of Bourne Conspiracy for $24.99 at the same GS as well. I've wanted the game for a while and it seems really hard to find new around here.

I hated the demo for Bourne, which sucks since I love the films. Thankfully there are quite a few pretty solid spy-ish type things now. (I'm still looking forward to playing Alpha Protocol...which actually sounds good aside from people who seem to just be objecting to it being an RPG, mostly).

[quote name='Wolfpup']I hated the demo for Bourne, which sucks since I love the films. Thankfully there are quite a few pretty solid spy-ish type things now. (I'm still looking forward to playing Alpha Protocol...which actually sounds good aside from people who seem to just be objecting to it being an RPG, mostly).[/QUOTE]

I didn't like the demo at first either, but after watching the trilogy again last weekend, it made me go back and revisit it. I enjoyed it this time around for some reason and when I looked to go buy it, it was no where to found for less than $40. On a long shot, I asked the guy about it and he asked which system...and he new copies of both. I'm tempted to go back and get it for the PS3 now since it's sort of rare lol.

I have Alpha Protocol and it's so-so. Voice acting is sub-par, game play itself is marginal, and the story is kind of lame. I got it on clearance some time back so I was happy with my purchase.

Does anyone know how long it takes to complete Nier? I have a ton of games in the backlog and I'm looking at this game to play over my summer break.

I thnk it depends on what gamestop you go too. I picked up star ocean for $19.99 new and sealed. There are a couple GSs in my area and a few subway stops away and each has their own policy I think. The ones near my home by the mall (3) all gut their copies while the ones a few stops away have them sealed. Best if you call them before going.

[quote name='Fire_Thief']which system is this better on?[/QUOTE]

No differences noticeable enough to matter. Pick the one you want.

gamestop new games that are opened are usually ones they rent out to employees. they tell you its brand new even though its opened but really comes all the timeuld have been played the night before at an employees house. my friends bro works at gamestop and he brings home new games all the time to play. i always ask for sealed ones and if they dont have any then I move on. that being said, nier is fun as hell. i got it for free during b2g1 free so i have no complaints, plus i just picked up the strategy guide on ebay for 4.50 buy it now. the OST for nier and its sequel (nier replicant) are the best OST's i've ever heard for a game. ever.

bread's done
Back