NIER - $14.99 Brand New at Gamestop!! BUY THIS GAME

[quote name='Waterhouse']I'd highly recommend this game at $15, overall it's one of the best rpgs I've played this year. But the side quests and fishing will definitely try your patience. For those of you asking for 360/ps3 comparisons, I've seen it played on both systems and there wasn't any difference as far as I could see.[/QUOTE]

Played it on PS3, no real complaints. I remember some slowdown during big fights, but I cannot recall any major break downs. I cannot speak for the 360 version.

[quote name='panzerfaust']By the looks of this thread Nier is possibly the most underrated game of this generation.[/QUOTE]
I don't know what to think of this game. It does sound intriguing, but on the other hand there is a certain strain of JRPG fanatic who will talk up any mediocre game as the second coming as long as it's quirky and Japanese-- and not to slag on anyone here who likes the game but I do get that vibe about Nier. I might wait to see how low the price will go.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']I don't know what to think of this game. It does sound intriguing, but on the other hand there is a certain strain of JRPG fanatic who will talk up any mediocre game as the second coming as long as it's quirky and Japanese-- and not to slag on anyone here who likes the game but I do get that vibe about Nier. I might wait to see how low the price will go.[/QUOTE]

Bingo.

everyone's praising the story and soundtrack...not the gameplay.

[quote name='ninja dog']Bingo.

everyone's praising the story and soundtrack...not the gameplay.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, um, no offense to the fans of this game but if I want a great soundtrack I'll download the music and listen to it...if I want a great story I'll ready a book or watch a movie. Now, if I want a great GAME I'll...well I'll play a game.

[quote name='JKSonic']Yeah, um, no offense to the fans of this game but if I want a great soundtrack I'll download the music and listen to it...if I want a great story I'll ready a book or watch a movie. Now, if I want a great GAME I'll...well I'll play a game.[/QUOTE]

Lol, tell that to all the people that bought Red Dead Redemption and the outlets that gave it 9.5s and 10s, because the actual gameplay in that game is insanely repetitive and mediocre. Great story, presentation and soundtrack though.

Seriously though I'm pissed cause I missed this deal, I'm on here several times a day and yet I missed this. Hey Cheapy, you gotta come up with a way for good deals to always be visible, you're losing out on commissions.

EDIT: Nice, it's back in stock now, thanks OP.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can always download the demo on your Japanese XBL account, people, though it's one of those demos that instantly puts you in a boss battle underleveled which I don't understand the logic behind.

[quote name='UNDERSTAR']Bought this game at the local GS. The guy behind the counter was trying to dissuade me not picking up this game cause he said it sucks and try to get me to buy the preowned instead. I gotta be honest here, this is the first time a GS employee try to talk me out from buying a game and I felt like punching him in the face cause he would repeatedly say, buy the preowned buy the preowned, you wont like the game. fuck YOU![/QUOTE]

I wish that guy was around the time I bought Bullet Witch.

[quote name='JKSonic']Yeah, um, no offense to the fans of this game but if I want a great soundtrack I'll download the music and listen to it...if I want a great story I'll ready a book or watch a movie. Now, if I want a great GAME I'll...well I'll play a game.[/QUOTE]

And yet you're playing Dragon Age on a console? The version that has "meh" gameplay and the reason people play it is the story?

[quote name='Darknuke']Good price, but I don't buy anything from Gamestop. Period... [/QUOTE]

If GameStop had GT5, Black Ops, Dead Rising 2 (insert other major new release) for $10 new, you will be at the store tomorrow morning.

[quote name='dcm1602']Lets get amazon to PM this already damn[/QUOTE]

Just go to the store and buy it. Don't be such a GameStop hater.

fyi for those that have finished the game and want to know more regarding the story, don't forget to read the translation of Grimoire Nier https://docs.google.com/View?id=dgvmkf89_228fxgghgg3#Red_and_Black_2709297297635132.

Most of it deals with the brother version. Lots of effed up stories here =O

It explains lots of things pre-game wise and post-game
there are no happy endings in this game. Just when I thought this would be a first for Cavia >.<

edit: here's a link to the table of contents of the Grimoire Nier translation. The above link is a story relating to how Brother Nier got money for Yonah's meds. https://docs.google.com/View?id=dgvmkf89_228fxgghgg3

[quote name='coolz481']Ignore the official reviews - if you enjoy action RPGs at all, you will love this game and play through it at least twice.[/QUOTE]

Just commenting here, but absolutely do not "ignore the reviews", as they're mostly all spot on, though I still absolutely loved the game.

I already have it order from Amazon for $20. Considering tax and the fact I dislike Gamestop. I don't feel bad about the $5 difference shopping with Amazon. ;)

I went and picked up my copy (PS3 version) this evening, and much to my surprise they had copies that were still sealed. I was ready to bite the bullet and accept a gutted one for this price, but actually getting a sealed copy made it a lot better. Hopefully it becomes a trend.

[quote name='RussellmaniaKW']Justin McElroy of Joystiq hated it so much that he refused to finish his review:
http://www.joystiq.com/2010/05/03/nier-review-fail/

They talked about it on their podcast as well and it sounded horrible.[/QUOTE]

Wow. I wanted to punch a baby watching that fishing video. That's just horrible.
But at least its optional right? You aren't going to miss anything major by not fishing...

[quote name='Gosha']I believe this game was originally a 360 exclusive, so I'm willing to bet that it runs slightly better on 360. I'm sure they are both pretty much the same though.[/QUOTE]

My thoughts exactly. If there any optimizations, then they would likely be included in the 360 version since it was the primary development platform.

[quote name='AceBB6']Wow. I wanted to punch a baby watching that fishing video. That's just horrible.
But at least its optional right? You aren't going to miss anything major by not fishing...[/QUOTE]

He couldn't do it because he wasn't fishing in the right spot. It's clearly marked on the map, too.

[quote name='oasisboy']If GameStop had GT5, Black Ops, Dead Rising 2 (insert other major new release) for $10 new, you will be at the store tomorrow morning.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='oasisboy']Just go to the store and buy it. Don't be such a GameStop hater.[/QUOTE]

Seriously?

Edit: and just so you know, I'm not going to allow a degradation of another thread with you, so you can try and figure this one out on your own. For the sake of CAG, just stop. Please.

[quote name='CaoPi']is this game that good? I'm suprised there are over 9,000 views...[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure that's just for the price mentioned in the title. The rest is more than likely the Nier Defense Force.

[quote name='appleyum']Damn it's dropping left and right.

GoGamer, Gohasting and now Gamestop. Hmm all Gs[/QUOTE]

just waiting for Gamazon

[quote name='roymustang']Lol, tell that to all the people that bought Red Dead Redemption and the outlets that gave it 9.5s and 10s, because the actual gameplay in that game is insanely repetitive and mediocre. Great story, presentation and soundtrack though.

EDIT: Nice, it's back in stock now, thanks OP.[/QUOTE]

I didn't find the gameplay any more repetitive/mediocre then most other games out there. Yeah a few times the missions became yawn inducing, but that's only because it was overly/unnecessarily long...they had to put some filler in there. Would I give it a 9.5? No, probably an 8.5 but my review scale is quite a bit more realistic then most.

[quote name='JasonTerminator']And yet you're playing Dragon Age on a console? The version that has "meh" gameplay and the reason people play it is the story?[/QUOTE]

I have played it on both console and PC and I obviously prefer the console version. Just how some people prefer FPS's on PC or console...I prefer the gameplay on the console. The only real shortcoming is the lack of buttons to assign things too, having only six slots blows but is easily worked around. Yes the textures were worse and yes the camera couldn't be zoomed out... But, sitting on my couch relaxing with a controller in my hands goes a long way to trumping any minor benefits on the PC version.

edit: Let me add too, at least in those two examples the overall gameplay wasn't shallow. Maybe a little yawn inducing or frustrating due to lack of options...but shallow/nearly broken mechanics? No...not like people are accusing Nier of. My point was I don't want to sit through crappy gameplay to enjoy a story.

If I find myself near a Gamestop this week, I'll stop in and grab a copy .. Just simply will put it aside while I finish up some other stuff and get to it eventually I suppose.

[quote name='punkmaggit']I returned my used copy last night and grabbed the last remaining new copy. Support the devs![/QUOTE]

Atta boy. :applause:

Picked it up yesterday, been looking at picking this one up at a cheap price and this one worked. Grabbed the used version but they couldn't find the disc so I ended up getting the new version for the used price.

I'll get to it at some point, my game backlog is becoming pretty damn impressive with all these christmas deals flying around.

[quote name='AceBB6']Wow. I wanted to punch a baby watching that fishing video. That's just horrible.
But at least its optional right? You aren't going to miss anything major by not fishing...[/QUOTE]
You're required to catch one fish the entire game. The rest is optional.

That one fish took me about 20 seconds to catch. Not sure what the reward is for the fishing sidequest, but I don't think it's anything important (most quests only give you money).

Hmm...this is one that's kind of interested me since reading the reviews, but I'm super on the fence about.

IMO most Japanese RPGs have crap stories and bad gameplay if they're action oriented, but this sounds like it COULD be different.

Sounds like it's fairly short and there's an easy mode, so worst case maybe I can actually finish it. Does sound like it's a much more interesting story than these things usually are, but man, I HATE so many games people love, like Level 5's stuff, all the Tales games, games that play like those etc.

Whoa, I'm part way through that Joystick review and that looks really crappy. You know I almost gave up on Wii Zelda on the fishing part too, since what the game told you to do had no bearing what so ever on what you actually had to do. Had to resort to a FAQ that said just that, and told you what to do, which worked the first time (and really wasn't what the game said at all).

I thought someone said fishing was optional, but in the review he said that part is mandatory? It looks crappy.

:lol: I wanted to crack the disc in half watching that video Ace :D

[quote name='Allnatural']You're required to catch one fish the entire game. The rest is optional.

That one fish took me about 20 seconds to catch. Not sure what the reward is for the fishing sidequest, but I don't think it's anything important (most quests only give you money).[/QUOTE]

From the video it looks like it...well it feels like it takes like 10 minutes of perfect reactions to the fish to catch the damn thing. If that's the kind of design choices that went in to this...

[quote name='The Carrot Cake Kid']The exclamation marks and your demand in the title is unnecessary[/QUOTE]

dont be a dick or you will have to deal with me punk

[quote name='Wolfpup']:lol: I wanted to crack the disc in half watching that video Ace :D

From the video it looks like it...well it feels like it takes like 10 minutes of perfect reactions to the fish to catch the damn thing. If that's the kind of design choices that went in to this...[/QUOTE]

That's only if you sit and fish at the exact spot you first get your fishing rod. There's another beach in the town with infinitely easier fish to catch (takes about a minute).

For everyone freaking out over that destructoid video and any other complaints about the fishing: those people are just either stupid, lazy, or both.
In that video, he's fishing at the wrong spot. That fish is giving him so much trouble because his fishing skill is too low to catch THAT SPECIFIC FISH at that point.
However, had he went to the spot marked by the BIG RED X ON HIS MAP, he could have easily caught the required fish. It takes roughly five seconds, and you can barely lose it unless you're trying to.
And then, you raise your fishing skill, and can catch bigger fish! Such as the one in the video!

bread's done
Back