Ninja Blade (360) $4.99 new/$3.99 Used|Too Human & Vampire Rain $1.99 NEW at Gamestop

MetalMegaGio

CAGiversary!
Feedback
50 (100%)
Last edited by a moderator:
I did in store hold and went to get them and cases has residue on them so I told the guy I would pass because its not new.. he sai yes it is it just doesn't have the shrink wrap on it. Wouldn't be saying that if I was trying to return a game lol so I bought used and saved a couple bucks

[quote name='gatordeve86']I did in store hold and went to get them and cases has residue on them so I told the guy I would pass because its not new.. he sai yes it is it just doesn't have the shrink wrap on it. Wouldn't be saying that if I was trying to return a game lol so I bought used and saved a couple bucks[/QUOTE]

gamestop guy told me today that there is no such thing as a shrink wrapped Too Human because they don't make them anymore.

I ended up picking Too Human up today. It rang up for $1.99. I paid in change a la Kramer in The Calzone episode. I was tempted to lug up pockets full of pennies in cargo pants, and then take a bus up there to complete the trifecta.

Needless to say, it was a gutted copy with stickers all over it. The disc has a few light scuffs, but nothing too bad. How they think a disc with scuff marks qualifies as "new" is beyond me.

Grabbed Ninja Blade, passed on Vampire Rain though, that demo was terrible. I also pre-ordered Destiny while I was there since they were handing out posters, which I didn't know about, so it was definitely worth going there.

[quote name='confoosious']gamestop guy told me today that there is no such thing as a shrink wrapped Too Human because they don't make them anymore.[/QUOTE]

That's bullshit. I picked up a sealed copy today. Vampire Rain and Red Faction: Armageddon were opened though.

[quote name='WingsDJY']That's bullshit. I picked up a sealed copy today. Vampire Rain and Red Faction: Armageddon were opened though.[/QUOTE]

I know. It was such an illogical statement, I just laughed.

[quote name='oasisboy']It amazes me the bitching about a gutted game that sells for $1.99 :roll:[/QUOTE]

Yeah, price doesn't really have anything to do with it. It's the principal.

Besides, would you buy a jar of mayo for 1.99 at the supermarket if the seal was broken but the clerk assured you that it was new and never used?

I wouldn't.

The mayo analogy gave me an epiphany.

Game manufacturers should put warning labels on games that say "Do not sell as new if seal broken" like with food products that say "Do not use if seal broken" on consumables or medicine.

[quote name='Green Card200']Price has nothing to do with it.[/QUOTE]

exactly.

[quote name='TheOpusFuller']Yeah, price doesn't really have anything to do with it. It's the principal.

Besides, would you buy a jar of mayo for 1.99 at the supermarket if the seal was broken but the clerk assured you that it was new and never used?

I wouldn't.[/QUOTE]

Especially when he gives you that sweaty look that says "I definitely went home and used this already."

I remember when I went looking to stock up on Xenoblades a few months ago, I went into a Gamestop at a mall and asked if they had any Xenoblades. He said he had 3. I said I'd take all 3 of them and before he went and got them I asked if they were new. He said "Yep, brand spankin new." Comes out with one sealed and two gutteds.

To me using "brand new" is a tad more egregious even if it is mere semantics. Adding 'brand' in front of it always implies sealed to me.

Picked up Too Human today used. Manual, case, and disc are in perfect condition, though the floor box was pretty gnarly. Gutted new looked good too, but went with pre-owned because it only had the one ID sticker on the back.

[quote name='TheOpusFuller']1. Yeah, price doesn't really have anything to do with it. It's the principal.

2. Besides, would you buy a jar of mayo for 1.99 at the supermarket if the seal was broken but the clerk assured you that it was new and never used?

I wouldn't.[/QUOTE]

1. If it's the principal we are talking about then I am sure that you and others who bitch about the gutted games didn't buy these $1.99 games right? I mean you have to show GameStop how you feel regarding the principal.

2. Apples and oranges. Food and video games do not equate. Would you buy a new car as new if it had 150 miles in the odometer? Wouldn't that make the car used?

[quote name='ShadowAssassin']I remember when I went looking to stock up on Xenoblades a few months ago, I went into a Gamestop at a mall and asked if they had any Xenoblades. He said he had 3. I said I'd take all 3 of them and before he went and got them I asked if they were new. He said "Yep, brand spankin new." Comes out with one sealed and two gutteds.

To me using "brand new" is a tad more egregious even if it is mere semantics. Adding 'brand' in front of it always implies sealed to me.[/QUOTE]

Paul Raines - GameStop CEO has been asked about gutted games sold as new and he mentioned jeans and cars in his response. Are jeans really new when you buy them? How about if some nasty stinky dude tried them out buy didn't buy them? Would you still consider them new if you knew 4 dudes tried these jeans and didn't buy them? how about if someone bought these jeans, wore them and returned them and then the store put them back on the shelf as new?

How about a new car? Is it new with a reading of 150 miles? How about 250 or 500 miles. Is the car new or used with a reading of 500 miles? How about if the car was driven from Austin to Houston as a special order? Is it used at that point? Should you get a discount?

And why do you need 3 copies of the same game? My guess is ebay.

Well Paul Raines is an idiot. You can't just pick and choose whatever analogy you want and think it makes sense. Jeans can't be non-functional if they get scratches or smudges on them like discs can. Jeans also are not generally collector's items. Jeans and cars don't come factory sealed in plastic.

Someone should ask Raines if that is the case, then how come they don't allow cash back refunds on games that have the plastic and security seal missing. With his logic, they can still be new.

That's about as logical as me countering by saying frozen yogurt shops allow you to sample their product before you buy, I should be able to sample this video game in your store before I buy it also.

Oh, and I also forgot maybe the post important point in that jeans and cars are both something that is generally accepted that consumers need to try out before they buy. You try jeans to make sure they fit. You try a car to make sure it fits your needs and if you feel comfortable driving it since it is a safety issue. It is a huge commitment. A video game qualifies as neither. They don't gut them for other people to test. They gut them because they open them for display and they are too cheap to put it at a used price.

[quote name='Mad dog']My Vampire Rain said $59.99 on the case but rang up automatically at $1.99.[/QUOTE]

If I found a sealed copy of Vampire Rain that still had the $59.99 pricetag on it (due to lazy as balls Gamestop employees), I'd buy it and never open it...

[quote name='Survivalism']We're really comparing bargain bin games to molested condiments?[/QUOTE]
Games in general.

Edit: well, nevermind, they did mention the 1.99 price point in that analogy.

For me, Gamestop is like that distant friend who can be a real douchebag but because I know that already, when he acts up it doesn't upset me or surprise me that much. I don't want to hang out with him all the time, I'll never introduce him to my sister, but there are times when he's ok.

In other words, if GS is selling something for a price I want, I'm there. Otherwise, I'm not losing sleep over their dumbass business practices. You can argue principle if you want. Hell, you could even learn to spell it. At the end of the day, however, you're not going to change that douchebag friend.

too bad everytings a fucking gut. One store showed multiple coppies of too human so i went to pick it up.. all 3 copies were fucking opened/guts. Ridiculous. Gamestop is such a shitty ass company

[quote name='ShadowAssassin']Well Paul Raines is an idiot. You can't just pick and choose whatever analogy you want and think it makes sense. Jeans can't be non-functional if they get scratches or smudges on them like discs can. Jeans also are not generally collector's items. Jeans and cars don't come factory sealed in plastic.

Someone should ask Raines if that is the case, then how come they don't allow cash back refunds on games that have the plastic and security seal missing. With his logic, they can still be new.

That's about as logical as me countering by saying frozen yogurt shops allow you to sample their product before you buy, I should be able to sample this video game in your store before I buy it also.

Oh, and I also forgot maybe the post important point in that jeans and cars are both something that is generally accepted that consumers need to try out before they buy. You try jeans to make sure they fit. You try a car to make sure it fits your needs and if you feel comfortable driving it since it is a safety issue. It is a huge commitment. A video game qualifies as neither. They don't gut them for other people to test. They gut them because they open them for display and they are too cheap to put it at a used price.[/QUOTE]

+1... comparing them to jeans.. or a fucking $50K car? Seriously?

[quote name='salty tbone']For me, Gamestop is like that distant friend who can be a real douchebag but because I know that already, when he acts up it doesn't upset me or surprise me that much. I don't want to hang out with him all the time, I'll never introduce him to my sister, but there are times when he's ok.

In other words, if GS is selling something for a price I want, I'm there. Otherwise, I'm not losing sleep over their dumbass business practices. You can argue principle if you want. Hell, you could even learn to spell it. At the end of the day, however, you're not going to change that douchebag friend.[/QUOTE]
Amen to that. It's that guy you know who really needs an asskicking to straighten up.

[quote name='salty tbone']For me, Gamestop is like that distant friend who can be a real douchebag but because I know that already, when he acts up it doesn't upset me or surprise me that much. I don't want to hang out with him all the time, I'll never introduce him to my sister, but there are times when he's ok.

In other words, if GS is selling something for a price I want, I'm there. Otherwise, I'm not losing sleep over their dumbass business practices. You can argue principle if you want. Hell, you could even learn to spell it. At the end of the day, however, you're not going to change that douchebag friend.[/QUOTE]

Pretty much you just described Wal-Mart.

[quote name='Kenshindono']too bad everytings a fucking gut. One store showed multiple coppies of too human so i went to pick it up.. all 3 copies were fucking opened/guts. Ridiculous. Gamestop is such a shitty ass company

+1... comparing them to jeans.. or a fucking $50K car? Seriously?[/QUOTE]

The level of bitchiness for $1.99 games just amazes me. People are complaining as if they are buying a new $59.99 game that is gutted. As I said earlier if these $1.99 games do not meet your standards don't buy them. Oh wait, you are because they are so damn cheap. Hypocrisy. Come on, go to best buy or amazon and pay $10 instead of $1.99 so you can get a pristine sealed copy. Show GameStop who is boss and that you are not going to put up with them even when their games are $1.99.

By the way, who said the car was $50k?

I don't like the concept of gutted games, and I would straight laugh in a Gamestop employee's face if he tried to sell me a $59.99 gutted game. Ofcourse I never buy games at full price because I'm a CAG, so I'll never be in that situation. But for $5 and less, as long as everything is there (manual + case) and the disc is in perfect shape I'm not going to bitch too much. If it's missing anything (or the case is broken) and they are selling as new, then I ask for discount or tell them to f off.

[quote name='Monoxide1986']I don't like the concept of gutted games, and I would straight laugh in a Gamestop employee's face if he tried to sell me a $59.99 gutted game. Ofcourse I never buy games at full price because I'm a CAG, so I'll never be in that situation. But for $5 and less, as long as everything is there (manual + case) and the disc is in perfect shape I'm not going to bitch too much. If it's missing anything (or the case is broken) and they are selling as new, then I ask for discount or tell them to f off.[/QUOTE]

Only time I ever got to GS is for these ridiculous sales so I expect to get a gutted game.

It's just funny/sad/infuriating when the GS employee acts like you have 3 heads for wanted a sealed game and make up shit to explain why they don't have sealed games. I'd rather they say "we gutted them all. that's all we got. It's $2."

[quote name='oasisboy']The level of bitchiness for $1.99 games just amazes me. People are complaining as if they are buying a new $59.99 game that is gutted. As I said earlier if these $1.99 games do not meet your standards don't buy them. Oh wait, you are because they are so damn cheap. Hypocrisy. Come on, go to best buy or amazon and pay $10 instead of $1.99 so you can get a pristine sealed copy. Show GameStop who is boss and that you are not going to put up with them even when their games are $1.99.

By the way, who said the car was $50k?[/QUOTE]

Maybe they are clearing out the games for $1.99 because we didn't buy gutted copies at msrp? (its not but I can say ridiculous things too) Whether or not they gut new games will not be determined by how these sell but by how full price retail copies sell - and it has been years since I have paid msrp for a gutted copy and I (and I'm sure many others here) have turned down "new" gutted copies many times. So much for that hypocrisy.

So I put in a pickup at store request for all 3 games, and I got notification that they couldn't be fulfilled. That'd be the 4th time in a row now that it's happened. The last time it was for a Gears of War 3 Epic Edition. I walked into the store later in the day after getting notification that they couldn't find it and pulled it right off the shelf.

Starting to think all of the Gamestop employees around here are a bunch of lazy douches.

FYI you guys, I picked up a new, gutted copy of Ninja Blade today. The clerk (who as usual was way too pushy about preorders) offered me a cheaper used copy but in a generic case. I told him I only buy complete games, and he told me that Gamestop's new policy is to throw away the cases of all used games under $4 to save space.

Sure, they're cheap games, but I don't want a bunch of those crappy generic cases on my shelves.

[quote name='Green Card200']Maybe they are clearing out the games for $1.99 because we didn't buy gutted copies at msrp? (its not but I can say ridiculous things too) Whether or not they gut new games will not be determined by how these sell but by how full price retail copies sell - and it has been years since I have paid msrp for a gutted copy and I (and I'm sure many others here) have turned down "new" gutted copies many times. So much for that hypocrisy.[/QUOTE]

I kind of chuckled when the GS employee asked me if I wanted to add a $3 warranty to my $2 copy of Vampire Rain...

I found a brand new and sealed copy of two of these games at a Gamestop pretty far from me. I called and asked if they could do a store transfer to another location. The person said "Sorry, we don't do that."

I read multiple times about people having that done all the time here with no problem whatsoever. Someone here even said they had one done from like 50 miles away.

Any ideas on what I could say to them if I call back to get them to do it?

In for 1 ninja blade thanks op, wouldn't normally have bothered to check. Got halfway through this game three years ago and now I can finally finish it!

[quote name='Monoxide1986']So I put in a pickup at store request for all 3 games, and I got notification that they couldn't be fulfilled. That'd be the 4th time in a row now that it's happened. The last time it was for a Gears of War 3 Epic Edition. I walked into the store later in the day after getting notification that they couldn't find it and pulled it right off the shelf.

Starting to think all of the Gamestop employees around here are a bunch of lazy douches.[/QUOTE]

You know what's worse asking 2 GS employees in there face if they had a copy of darkstalkers for the psp and they both looked at me and said no without looking at the computer. Asked another employee later that week if they had the game by showing the game with the store locator on my phone and she was able to find it. I guess if you don't bring them the case, it's out of stock to them. It ain't my fault they don't put out the cases for display. And the first douche bag who said no to me was the store manager. If they didn't run good deals and had cheap prices I wouldn't buy from them but I guess you pay extra for quality service.

I never understood how a new gutted game can be considered new if it was missing the case and manual. If it ain't complete it shouldn't be considered new even with GS gutted game policy.

[quote name='JYabbz']You know what's worse asking 2 GS employees in there face if they had a copy of darkstalkers for the psp and they both looked at me and said no without looking at the computer. Asked another employee later that week if they had the game by showing the game with the store locator on my phone and she was able to find it. I guess if you don't bring them the case, it's out of stock to them. It ain't my fault they don't put out the cases for display. And the first douche bag who said no to me was the store manager. If they didn't run good deals and had cheap prices I wouldn't buy from them but I guess you pay extra for quality service.

I never understood how a new gutted game can be considered new if it was missing the case and manual. If it ain't complete it shouldn't be considered new even with GS gutted game policy.[/QUOTE]

I remember years ago I went to gamestop for jedi knight academy and when I asked for it was told they had a new copy. He goes to the back and brings out a bag with a manual/CD and I said I didn't want it anymore. He was shocked, visibly irritated, and told me I didn't need the box to play the game. He said the only reason it didn't have it was because it was the last one and the display box was stolen. I just walked out at that point. Sometimes they give you grief if you don't want a gutted copy but most of the time they're apathetic.

[quote name='oasisboy']The level of bitchiness for $1.99 games just amazes me. People are complaining as if they are buying a new $59.99 game that is gutted. As I said earlier if these $1.99 games do not meet your standards don't buy them. Oh wait, you are because they are so damn cheap. Hypocrisy. Come on, go to best buy or amazon and pay $10 instead of $1.99 so you can get a pristine sealed copy. Show GameStop who is boss and that you are not going to put up with them even when their games are $1.99.

By the way, who said the car was $50k?[/QUOTE]

Its not just a 1.99 game, they do that shit for everything. Whatever i guess people like you dont give a shit about paying full price for a sticker covered, mangled, opened/used item as new. I guess thats the reason they gut multiple copies of a new game, cuz idiots dont seem to give a shit

[quote name='Green Card200']I remember years ago I went to gamestop for jedi knight academy and when I asked for it was told they had a new copy. He goes to the back and brings out a bag with a manual/CD and I said I didn't want it anymore. He was shocked, visibly irritated, and told me I didn't need the box to play the game. He said the only reason it didn't have it was because it was the last one and the display box was stolen. I just walked out at that point. Sometimes they give you grief if you don't want a gutted copy but most of the time they're apathetic.[/QUOTE]

This is what really gets to me. The look of complete confusion at not wanting a used game sold as new. *sigh* Im really sad that the good GS closed down. Now i gotta go through the ordeal of all the employees at the next nearerst store knowing that no i dont want to pre-order the new COD, no i dont want a warranty, and fuck no i dont want that shitty fucking gut

So today I managed to get a sealed copy of too human, had my girl call this gamestop that I seen in the area around me had to drive about 30 miles but, eh. Anyways, like I was saying I had my girl call gamestop and ask if they had any "sealed copies of too human" I made sure she told him several times "SEALED". Dude on the phone said sealed copies of this game no longer exist and I told my girl to tell him well online it says you guys have sealed copies, he goes "OH, looks like Im wrong we have 2 copies available sealed, do you want me to hold them?". So I get there and they only have 1 sealed copy some how the other managed to disapear and he had a opened box copy.

Then I had her goto another gamestop to get a sealed copy of Vampires Rain because I know they have several in stock I was there the other day. They give her a resealed gamestop game with no label so Im going back in there tomorrow.

Ive been having such a hard time with gamestop latly..... I had employees lie to me about having Magna Carta 2 at 3 different gamestops in my area. Matter of fact I had one hold the copy for me and when I went to go purchase it. The game magically wasnt there anymore.

[quote name='MykelxKnight']So today I managed to get a sealed copy of too human, had my girl call this gamestop that I seen in the area around me had to drive about 30 miles but, eh. Anyways, like I was saying I had my girl call gamestop and ask if they had any "sealed copies of too human" I made sure she told him several times "SEALED". Dude on the phone said sealed copies of this game no longer exist and I told my girl to tell him well online it says you guys have sealed copies, he goes "OH, looks like Im wrong we have 2 copies available sealed, do you want me to hold them?". So I get there and they only have 1 sealed copy some how the other managed to disapear and he had a opened box copy.

Then I had her goto another gamestop to get a sealed copy of Vampires Rain because I know they have several in stock I was there the other day. They give her a resealed gamestop game with no label so Im going back in there tomorrow.

Ive been having such a hard time with gamestop latly..... I had employees lie to me about having Magna Carta 2 at 3 different gamestops in my area. Matter of fact I had one hold the copy for me and when I went to go purchase it. The game magically wasnt there anymore.[/QUOTE]

ya i had that happen to me a few times at the mall location before i stopped going there. Theyd claim a rare game was in stock then when i went in they couldn't find it somehow.

Same store that forgot to actually give me my games once and i paied for 3 DS games that were empty cases. By the time i got to opening them it was like a month later so i was just screwed

[quote name='Kenshindono']ya i had that happen to me a few times at the mall location before i stopped going there. Theyd claim a rare game was in stock then when i went in they couldn't find it somehow.

Same store that forgot to actually give me my games once and i paied for 3 DS games that were empty cases. By the time i got to opening them it was like a month later so i was just screwed[/QUOTE]

I swear man I think sometimes when I call and they find out they had a game they didnt know about they hide it. So Ive just been going in myself latly and looking around in store for games Im missing.

When I talked to the employee at gamestop over the phone about the copy of Magna Carta 2 he sounded very excited that it was there. I kinda got the feeling something was gonna happen with it. The one I actually got the copy from I called in 4 times that week and asked if the game was there and every time I was told no. I asked everyday why does it say you guys have one in stock online he said I dont know and hung up.

[quote name='MykelxKnight']I swear man I think sometimes when I call and they find out they had a game they didnt know about they hide it. So Ive just been going in myself latly and looking around in store for games Im missing.

When I talked to the employee at gamestop over the phone about the copy of Magna Carta 2 he sounded very excited that it was there. I kinda got the feeling something was gonna happen with it. The one I actually got the copy from I called in 4 times that week and asked if the game was there and every time I was told no. I asked everyday why does it say you guys have one in stock online he said I dont know and hung up.[/QUOTE]

Not always the system is right so it may say they have a copy but the system only updates every 24 hours. Perhaps a sale occurred within those 24 hours so the system may not be correct and the employee will not know until they physically search for it which they won't do with you on the phone.

Why did you call 4 times within a week to ask for the same game? If the answer is no, move on dude. I can see why they hang up on you since you were calling daily about the same game. If an employee really wants a game, he or she will get it before you even call since they work at the damn store.

All these conspiracy theories of employees taking games for themselves are a little absurd although it could happen but the odds are extremely slim.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Kenshindono']Its not just a 1.99 game, they do that shit for everything. Whatever i guess people like you dont give a shit about paying full price for a sticker covered, mangled, opened/used item as new. I guess thats the reason they gut multiple copies of a new game, cuz idiots dont seem to give a shit

This is what really gets to me. The look of complete confusion at not wanting a used game sold as new. *sigh* Im really sad that the good GS closed down. Now i gotta go through the ordeal of all the employees at the next nearerst store knowing that no i dont want to pre-order the new COD, no i dont want a warranty, and fuck no i dont want that shitty fucking gut[/QUOTE]

Dude, don't go to GameStop ever again. Problem solved. Oh wait, you want those $1.99 games. My bad.

My point is that you may to take the bad with the good. If you don't like it then move on.

It's funny the gamestop stories then the fan boy defense.

It's a difference of philosophy. Some people like to have a good looking collection. Others will trade in a brand new game for peanuts.

For me it comes down to the fact that I like video games. A lot. I want publishers to keep making video games. Buying used means for me I'm not supporting them whatsoever. If a game is worth my time, then it's also worth me supporting the publisher where possible.

Granted I'm still a CAG and will pay what I consider a fair price in various sales and specials.

It's as simple as that for me. As I do not support a huge majority of gamestops practices I simply do not shop there except on very rare occasions. (Xenoblade)

[quote name='CGlade']It's funny the gamestop stories then the fan boy defense.

[/QUOTE]

I used to work at GameStop so I know how it is (or could be). I dealt with stupid customers so I feel obligated to state the other side of the story. Fanboy? Well, GameStop put food on the table for me and I had medical insurance. I will leave it at that.

[quote name='oasisboy']I used to work at GameStop so I know how it is (or could be). I dealt with stupid customers so I feel obligated to state the other side of the story. Fanboy? Well, GameStop put food on the table for me and I had medical insurance. I will leave it at that.[/QUOTE]

Look, just because there are stupid customers or that gamestop employs people doesn't mean gamestop gutting games and acting like it's normal is defensible.

One does not necessitate the other.

[quote name='oasisboy']I used to work at GameStop so I know how it is (or could be). I dealt with stupid customers so I feel obligated to state the other side of the story. Fanboy? Well, GameStop put food on the table for me and I had medical insurance. I will leave it at that.[/QUOTE]

Well this explains everything.

My brother's wife is a DM for GameStop. Yet she still knows them as an evil empire. Just something to think about. They treat their employees like utter shit.

I will say in my area most of the guys are really great people. And provide excellent customer service. So it is the coorporation not the employees.

Just my $0.02.

Back to the reg scheduled thread :)

bread's done
Back