Ninja Gaiden II - Gen. Discussion & Info - No Longer A X360 Exclusive Title

The only gripe I have about NG2 is that they've really toned down the effectiveness of blocking.

I remember in the first game, Ryu could block nearly everything with the exception of rocket launchers and grabs.

But now in the 2nd game, first level, acolyte mode, those spider clan wimps can break through my blocks by the third or forth strike! What the hell!

Also, in the first NG, you could roll immediately into a block animation. But in the second game, there is a slight window of opportunity where Ryu lets his guard down with "new and improved" dash. In tight corridors, the enemy uses that brief opening in Ryu's defenses to take cheap shots.

Here's the moves I've been using mostly:
Izuna : X Y X X X Y
Flying Swallow : X + A, Y
Fang of the Wolf: X X Y Y

Any suggestions on moves I should try that aren't useless?

[quote name='Mr Durand Pierre']Now that I think about it, projectile weapons are probably this game's biggest problem.[/quote]

They are the biggest problem IMO. I like the game except for projectile weapons. The "dragons" (they probably have a more specific name I don't know), archers, and ninja's with rocket launchers are extremely cheap. Once I was within feet of a rocket launcher ninja and he hit me six consecutive times although I was trying to dodge the attack continuously. I find it to be a lot of fun, but I started on path of the acolyte.

Tried the demo last night, I'm impressed...the camera can get quite clunky but I'm hoping its not too big of a deal. Overall, it was a blast to play, my copy from Amazon should be arriving today as well.

The dash is probably more effective than the NGB roll to me. You can cover way more ground for better evading when coupled with the jump at the end. This also is the best way for instant UT's if you have some essence around and are being swarmed. Not to mention you can dash/guard impact 95% of the projectiles that are coming your way so you take minimal to no damage from them and avoid having your guard broken. I really don't see the problem with it.

The camera was the same way in Ninja Gaiden 1. They made an auto update and in Ninja Gaiden Black it was fixed as well. I dont remember if they are using the same camera but the speed of the game just makes a good camera tuff

I played the demo and enjoyed it, but I'm assuming that's the first level. Is Acolyte mode as difficult as the reviews have said? Basically, if I beat NGB on Ninja Dog mode, will I have a bigger problem with NG2 Acolyte mode?

Acolyte was quite easy to me. The only rough spot was the first minute of chapter 8 and bits of chapter 14. Aside from that, it's pretty easy. I didn't think Warrior was that bad either, but I am getting slaughtered halfway through Mentor.

This demo was fun, but I def was gettin my ass kicked :lol:
I'll probably get this. Been really fiending for a new 360 game.

To those who have beat it, is there anything else after you beat it on both difficulties?

[quote name='lilboo']
To those who have beat it, is there anything else after you beat it on both difficulties?[/quote]

2 more difficulties that'll really kick your trash, plus the option to start a sort of "new game +" with all the weapons and upgrades you had at the end of the first time through.

So now that I've had a chance to sit back and digest the game as a whole, I'd bring it up to an 8/10. The camera was just flat out silly, which loses it 1.5 points, while the cheapness knocks off 0.5. Bonus points for blood-covered titties, which the ESRB apparently didn't see when rating the game for "partial nudity".

Compared with NG, I found a few of the bosses brutally hard, but the fact that you could go into a boss encounter, get thrashed and then continue right at the boss was reasonably forgiving. The ramped up difficulty means that you'll probably die more, but all you really need to do is try and try again. It's also nice that the mobs of normal enemies aren't as capable of suddenly tearing you apart without warning. Going through a stage and getting annihilated by a couple spider clan ninjas just before a save was always maddeningly frustrating in NG, whereas here you need to sorta get lazy to get taken out by normal foes.

I broke a SixAxis playing Sigma. No such rages with NG2, which I feel is a reasonable measure of its more manageable nature.

I don't really understand the criticism here. Ninja Gaiden 2 improved upon Ninja Gaiden in every way.

I think the problem more lies with most people here simply not being that good at the the game or just not having the patience to learn how to play.

The camera isn't as bad as everyone is saying it is. In a game as fast paced as this it is almost impossible to have an ideal camera. There are some options for the camera if it moves too slow for you. I haven't really had an problems with it and I am in chapter 11.

The blocking isn't broken. You can't block indefinitely but you can block for a good amount of time. If your block is breached, then you need to press down the block button again before they hit you again. Learning to chain blocks helps you from getting hit.

Another thing that helps avoid attacking enemies is the dash. The dash is really fast and if one of those sliding scorpions with boobs jumps at you, then you can dash behind them before they hit you and slash them.

The projectile enemies are brutal and were really pissing me off in chapter 9 but if you incorporate the shurikens in your move set then you can throw them at the rocket ninja to delay their attack. It's not perfect but it helps. I mean what game doesn't have some cheap enemies (or at least perceivably cheap).

Don't stop moving either. If you stop moving then you are giving the enemies a chance to attack. Jumping and dashing really helps in moving fast.

I don't think the game lacks imagination either. I really liked the environments in this game more compared to Ninja Gaiden and the ridiculous story (I am not saying I like the story because it is generic) allows them that.

I am really loving the game, so it sucks that some of you aren't.

so far, i have no complaints about the game being too hard. my complaints are the same as most people... the camera is worse than DMC by far (why can't these games just try and imitate God of War?) and the story is just awful. i like the gameplay, but the other issues are too much of a problem for Ninja Gaiden to be more than an 8.

I have only played this twice so far but is kicks major arse. I am a big fan of the series and beat Sigma a few months ago so I would be prepared to play this. I do agree that the camera is a little wonky at time and has caused me to get killed a few times but death in this game is something you have to accept. I am currently playing through on warrior and only using the dragon sword.

I was getting toasted in the beginning of chapter 5 because of all the Fire Spider clan Ninjas shooting me from off screen. I probably dies three times in a row. Then I just whipped the shit out of them.

The one thing that is cool and annoying at the same time is the after you kill the wolves and more appear the pick up body parts and throw them at you. I hate when I beating a enemy and get hit by a torso from off screen.

I just finished the Third Test of Valor. Great game so far

Chapter 9 sub boss :bomb: the Bad Camera really shines here.

The only place to use projectiles is against those big bosses. Besides those, the projectile weapons are absolutely useless.

Oh, and the walking glitch where I just decide to randomly move forward despite not moving at all for a few seconds is ridiculous.

Begin the Fanboy Flaming!

How difficult is this version of NG? Since I couldn't get through the 2nd BOSS in NG: Black. I grabbed a copy of NG2 this past weekend and haven't opened it yet, but debating just returning it.

[quote name='jazzman']Begin the Fanboy Flaming!

How difficult is this version of NG? Since I couldn't get through the 2nd BOSS in NG: Black. I grabbed a copy of NG2 this past weekend and haven't opened it yet, but debating just returning it.[/quote]

It depends on what difficulty you choose.

I haven't played on Acolyte but from the sounds of things it seems easier than Ninja Gaiden Black.

I am playing on Warrior right now and it is kicking my ass, but I am getting better at the game as well because of the difficulty. It has been a while since I have played Ninja Gaiden Black so I can't accurately compare them in difficulty.

NG2 really isn't that hard on the two default difficulty levels. The warrior difficulty is probably a notch below default NGB and Acolyte is stupid easy long as you aren't mashing away like it's a Dynasty Warriors game.

[quote name='jazzman']Begin the Fanboy Flaming!

How difficult is this version of NG? Since I couldn't get through the 2nd BOSS in NG: Black. I grabbed a copy of NG2 this past weekend and haven't opened it yet, but debating just returning it.[/quote]

I started on Acolyte because NG had a high learning curve on normal, then I would restart on the hardest level it would let me. It turns out that Acolyte is half as hard as Ninja Dog, that might be exaggerating, but you get the point. It is definitely more friendly to the average gamer.

[quote name='paddlefoot']I started on Acolyte because NG had a high learning curve on normal, then I would restart on the hardest level it would let me. It turns out that Acolyte is half as hard as Ninja Dog, that might be exaggerating, but you get the point. It is definitely more friendly to the average gamer.[/QUOTE]

In that case I'm glad I didn't pick acolyte, but Warrior is super tough and not in a good way. One enemy combo can take off something like 40% of your life if you're not careful, and with the game's camera this is sometimes unavoidable. I'm up to the Ch 5 boss and have no idea how I'm supposed to dodge any of his attacks. I guess I'll look up gameplay vids of people playing the game well. Maybe there's a level of depth here that I'm just not getting.

Finished in about 15 hours. The last boss was extremely irritating because it was unexpected and I spent all my items. I had to redo half the level to make things right. Extremely pleasing game. I used almost every weapon to their fullest. Overall it wasn't in the "cheap" category like many people seem to think, but definitely harder than NG1 no doubt, except for bosses. The health regen and the continues at bosses doesn't make this game any easier. I noticed many changes between this and the original.

There are changes such as:
-Block isn't as effective because almost all enemies have the ability to throw you. (Hurricane packs)
-Enemies can outrun you.
-Projectiles!!!! (Like Military chapter in NG1, but throughout the game)

So with these in mind, you have to be more offensive.

The only "cheap" parts in the game that I noticed were 2 times that I got hit while turning a blind corner, but nothing more than that.

Overall, it's just what I wanted from a NG1 sequel. Now if NG3 or whatever it may be is similar to this than I might be wary.

I just beat Volf last night he was way easier than Alexei. I also thought the fourth test of valor was way to easy. Currently playing on Warrior.

The hour-long documentary of Ninja Gaiden II is up on the Marketplace for free, for anyone that's interested.

[quote name='RBH']The hour-long documentary of Ninja Gaiden II is up on the Marketplace for free, for anyone that's interested.[/QUOTE]

cool imma grab that. should be interesting. thanks

anyone know if theres any differences between path or acolyte/warrior other than difficulty. i dont want to miss out on any story elements or extra long endings or anything. i just got the game today, so i figured id ask before i got too deep.

Yeah I killed the Archfiend...Oh wait what NO WHAT!

He's frozen with zero health. What a shitty glitch!

How the hell am I supposed to progress. I wish Ryu could kill himself because I REALLY don't want to fight this guy again.

Oh just really fucking awesome man, now I have to fight Dagra Dai again. fuck YOU!

RAGHHHHHH DAGRA DAI PIECE OF SHIT IS USING THE SAME SUPER NUCLEAR LASER OVER AND OVER AND fuck YOU AGAIN!

Yeah, the game is a bit glitchy and there are a couple of wierd load times say, while fighting/switching weapons/entering next zone... etc. Spots that shouldn't have a load screen.

There was also a time when a worm was glitch where he popped up then disappeared then popped up again and again.

Finally I beat the game. Yeah!

Despite the setbacks and ass kickings, overall this game was awesome.

Hmm, mentor mode, I wonder how difficult that is...?

I was hoping I would finish before MGS4.

Checked out the demo last night. Definitely want to play the whole game now, but will have to wait for a sale/price drop/available on goozex and for me to have time to play it.

I feel the game has some better features and some worst then the first NG.

I prefer the more linear feel of Ninja Gaiden 2 compared to the first where you would do some backtracking and had a more open world and could go anywhere in the first, because I don't have to get lost anymore and backtrack for things.

The camera angle seems even more annoying then the first imho, which is a pretty big negative considering thats pretty much everyones complaint this time around.

On the first and second difficulty the enemies are a bit easier, but I chose Acolyte so I could avoid throwing controllers this time around. However, the bosses are quite the bitch and very annoying. Thankfully you can try again at the boss over and over, turning it into total trial and error.

The graphics are obviously improved and look a bit better/smoother then the videos I've seen from Sigma.

The Story wasn't exactly hot in the first NG, but it seems almost non existant here. I'd say the stories of the NES Gaidens were better then this so far. Then again I'm only on chapter 6.

The combat is improved quite well and feels very smooth. More enjoyable then say, Devil May Cry, and quite improved over the first NG.

It has It's ups and downs but It's a pretty good sequel so far, just not as groundbreaking as I would hope it to be considering the first was great and the negative could have easily been improved upon if this was given more attention/time to the detail.

Hit chapter 8 this morning and I think it effectively broke my groove,those missle launching grunts are getting on my damn nerves. Playing on warrior and I gotta say, was Volk supposed to be hard or something? I blew through him so fast I had to do a double take when it was over.

I hit the infamous chapter 10 glitch. Didn't know about it until a few hours ago and the past couple of days I thought I was at a puzzle or something. I don't have any save files outside of the auto save so it looks like I have to start over.

[quote name='Strider Turbulence']I hit the infamous chapter 10 glitch. Didn't know about it until a few hours ago and the past couple of days I thought I was at a puzzle or something. I don't have any save files outside of the auto save so it looks like I have to start over.[/quote]

what is the chapter 10 glitch? and what happens?

[quote name='sleepy180']what is the chapter 10 glitch? and what happens?[/QUOTE]

Oh boy, I'd like to know about this as well, since I'm coming up on number 10 soon.

I believe it's at the acid pits with the worms. If you have autosave on and you die in the second pit, the enemies won't spawn and you can't progress, so you have to restart the game over.

[quote name='MorbidAngel4Life']I believe it's at the acid pits with the worms. If you have autosave on and you die in the second pit, the enemies won't spawn and you can't progress, so you have to restart the game over.[/QUOTE]

See my problem is that I never had a chance to fight the enemies in the acid pit. After I killed the spidermen, I hit the save point and rushed into the pit and nothing happened.

Make sure you switch to manual save around chapter 9 and make multiple save files.

Found a nice little essence farming method on the first level of Mentor, thanks to FishBulb on Something Awful:

Right after you come up the shaft from the second save and kill all the dudes, cross the bridge over water, etc, you'll have to go between two buildings by the canal to continue. This is where the rocket guys are perched and start wrecking your shit if you aren't careful. If, however, you turn tail immediately upon turning the corner and draw the tech ninjas over to the canal, you should have time right after you round the corner to charge up a UT and take them out. If you keep repeating this process, never advancing past the rocket ninjas, you should be able to keep drawing two tech ninjas out that respawn upon every corner turn. You'll have more than enough time to charge a UT before the first rounds the corner and with AI behavior by the canal you should have time to UT the second one as well. If you aren't confident in your skills you can return to the thankfully close save point in between pulls. You wont get karma after the first time you kill them but you WILL continue gaining essence. This should help anyone who's having trouble on Mentor I hope.

Wow this game kicked my ass on the easiest difficulty. I continued over 100 times on the easiest difficulty.

I would say the bosses were on par cheap with NG1 but the normal enemies were harder in the first game, but I haven't tried harder difficulties... yet.

Good game just not as good as the first, and miss the unlockable classic NG's.

Extremely disappointed that a third Ninja Gaiden might not come to fruition, atleast not with Itagki.

bread's done
Back