Nintendo 3DS - General Discussion Thread

The shake instead of a button press in Super Mario Galaxy works, but only because it doesn't need to be precise. It's still pointless IMO, and I'd rather be pressing a button, but it doesn't keep me from thinking SMG is pretty brilliant.

But man, games that use it even more than that, or actually pretend you can input something more precise than "I'm waving it all around now" are not thinking things through.

EDIT: It's the tech, not Nintendo per se. My iPods accelerometers only work half the time too. I can't tell you the number of times they get stuck in one orientation and I have to carefully flip it one way and the other to finally get it responding (though thankfully you can just disable it now so it's far less annoying than it used to be).

[quote name='javeryh']No problems here - you can watch for hours. The streaming works great too with almost no buffering - I was shocked how well it worked when I first tried it (the YouTube app doesn't come close). I definitely don't consider it a novelty - it is one of my most-used iPhone apps.[/QUOTE]

The Netflix app on my iPhone is great and it works well over 3G... at least if you aren't moving (like on a bus/train). If I'm moving around I get lots of stops and starts and it's pretty unwatchable. It's great when sitting in a cafe (that doesn't have WiFi), though. Anyway, you could create a MobileHotspot with your iPhone 4 (once we get iOS 4.3, or if you jailbreak and use MyWi) or other phone that has this feature and connect the 3DS to that. I doubt the netflix would work any better, though, when moving.

Maybe I missed this discussion, so sorry if this is a rehash, but launch day game purchases for everyone? I'll probably be playing Okamiden and Black/White mostly but I need at least one 3DS game to fiddle around with. I want Nintendogs, but at $40 I'm more hesitant since it's probably not going to be much more interesting than the first one was, and I played that to death. I'm thinking Samurai Warriors and maybe SSIV (never played it on any console :x).

Still waffling on whether I'll get a 3DS, but if I do Pilot Wings would probably be the surest thing for me. Street Fighter is the only other one I'm somewhat interested in, I THINK (not sure if I know the whole launch line up).

I love Kid Icarus, but that third game (which I know isn't a launch game) looks like it has nothing to do with Kid Icarus, and looks like garbage. They'll probably kill off the franchise with that boneheaded move.

I love Resident Evil...but the real series, not a throwaway bonus mode included in some of the real games after you beat them, so zero interest in that.

Paper Mario of course when that comes out, and if I buy one, I'll probably end up buying Zelda, although I'm not sure I'll ever really want to play through that again, but still, it's portable and a solid game. I was surprised that was never ported to the DS though, although I suppose it's good it has the analog stick.

Speaking about that analog stick, that reminds me that I may have to try to track down a copy of Super Mario 64 for DS again. I couldn't get used to playing it with a d-pad on the original DS.

I'd assume that won't work with DS games, although maybe it'll just function as a d-pad? That would be cool.

The control was worse in the DS version of Super Mario 64, but I actually liked the game better...like they altered it a little bit and replaced the hats with other characters...or something...I don't know, I liked the powers a little more.

Weird though to LAUNCH with that and that's probably still the best looking 3D DS game, that I can remember at least, and then nothing else after that really.

Wow, thanks for the info-I'm surprised by that, and yeah, that's potentially cool if it "feels" right.

I always like doing overworld movement in RPGs with the analog stick, 'cause it's easier on your thumb, and then swap over to the d-pad for menus in battles and whatnot.

Hey guys, help me out here.

I hate Nintendo's franchises.
I don't like motion control.
I think 3D is a gimmick.

Should I buy the 3DS?

[quote name='Strell']Hey guys, help me out here.

I think 3D is a gimmick.

Should I buy the 3DS?[/QUOTE]

Yeah you should. Wanna know why? Kingdom Hearts. The best RPG known to man.

[quote name='Rocko']Maybe I missed this discussion, so sorry if this is a rehash, but launch day game purchases for everyone? I'll probably be playing Okamiden and Black/White mostly but I need at least one 3DS game to fiddle around with. I want Nintendogs, but at $40 I'm more hesitant since it's probably not going to be much more interesting than the first one was, and I played that to death. I'm thinking Samurai Warriors and maybe SSIV (never played it on any console :x).[/QUOTE]

I'm definitely getting Nintendogs. I'm debating getting Bust-a-Move Universe too, but I think I'll end up just sticking with Nintendogs and trading for the rest down the road. I've got Golden Sun and Ghost Trick in my backlog, not to mention I'm trying to finish the storyline in DQIX.

So yeah, likely just Nintendogs for the launch.

I would think all units would be accounted for at this point... Why would you wait until then anyway? An Amazon preorder doesn't cost a dime til it ships.

[quote name='utopianmachine']I would think all units would be accounted for at this point... Why would you wait until then anyway? An Amazon preorder doesn't cost a dime til it ships.[/QUOTE]

I pre-ordered on Amazon weeks ago just in case, but I may be getting some Walmart gift cards from a relative and using those would be preferable to paying actual money. Putting in an order on the Walmart site today (without finalizing it, of course) still lists it as being shipped out at release.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Motion control and 3D are gimmicks, but nobody here has said they don't like Nintendo's franchises.[/QUOTE]

Yep, that's about where I stand. Well, with a small exception to Motion Controls. I think most games implement them in a gimmicky fashion, but there are some that truly benefit from it. Hard for me to call it completely a gimmick.

My point (if I have one) is that I liked the DS because of the software itself, not because of the hardware. It's why I try to be unfazed when it comes to hardware specs and crap. It doesn't matter if the system has the best processor in the world if no developer ever makes something enjoyable with it.

I'm sold on Pilotwings Resort finally after more detailed reviews, so that plus Steel Diver and SSFIV for me.
Bust A Move on clearance. [quote name='Strell']Hey guys, help me out here.

I think 3D is a gimmick.

Should I buy the 3DS?[/QUOTE]

Hmmm not sure, but you should definitely keep posting about it.

I'm definitely getting Pilotwings and Steel Diver at launch. I *might* get Nintendogs if there's absolutely nothing else to play but I am leaning against it as I think Pilotwings will easily become a game I just pick up and play around with aside from advancing game goals. Any news on the initial 3DSware offerings? A VC games list perhaps?

All I know of is the initial Game Gear games: Sonic and Tails 2, Sonic Drift 2, Columns, The GG Shinobi, and Dragon Crystal: Shirani's Maze.

I imagine it'll launch with Zelda: Link's Awakening, if only because it's been heavily pimped thus far as an example of the service and would make a nice side-by-side release to the OOT remake.

I want to find out what the 3D Classics fully entails. Straight NES ports with 3D effects? Or maybe they'll update graphics? Eager to hear more about those.

Dragon Crystal looks interesting, but perhaps too dated for me to enjoy.

I remember playing Columns a lot when I had my Game Gear, but I doubt I would get it again. There's just so many superior jewel-matching games now.

As for Zelda: Link's Awakening? As I've never played it, I do believe I would leap to have it on 3DS. I've always enjoyed the home console Zelda's a lot, but I've never gotten into the handheld ones. It's just so hard to go from Windwaker and Twilight Princess to the DS games. The console games are just. so. beautiful.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='utopianmachine']As for Zelda: Link's Awakening? As I've never played it, I do believe I would leap to have it on 3DS. I've always enjoyed the home console Zelda's a lot, but I've never gotten into the handheld ones. It's just so hard to go from Windwaker and Twilight Princess to the DS games. The console games are just. so. beautiful.[/QUOTE]

You are seriously missing out and I wouldn't wait for it on the 3DS - I'd go play it NOW. Link's Awakening is one of the best games ever made on any platform ever. The Oracle games are fantastic too. The DS games and Minish Cap are OK - good games in their own right but they can't even sniff the greatness of the GB/GBC Zeldas.

I just finished Link's Awakening about a month ago (yet again) and I'm in the 5th dungeon in Oracle of Ages now (yet again). I still play through these games every so often - they are that good.

[quote name='utopianmachine']As for Zelda: Link's Awakening? As I've never played it, I do believe I would leap to have it on 3DS. I've always enjoyed the home console Zelda's a lot, but I've never gotten into the handheld ones. It's just so hard to go from Windwaker and Twilight Princess to the DS games. The console games are just. so. beautiful.[/QUOTE]

You are seriously missing out and I wouldn't wait for it on the 3DS - I'd go play it NOW. Link's Awakening is one of the best games ever made on any platform ever. The Oracle games are fantastic too. The DS games and Minish Cap are OK - good games in their own right but they can't even sniff the greatness of the GB/GBC Zeldas.

I just finished Link's Awakening about a month ago (yet again) and I'm in the 5th dungeon in Oracle of Ages now (yet again). I still play through these games every so often - they are that good.

[quote name='javeryh']I just finished Link's Awakening about a month ago (yet again) and I'm in the 5th dungeon in Oracle of Ages now (yet again). I still play through these games every so often - they are that good.[/QUOTE]

I always wanted to play Oracles too. I don't suppose either of these games are downloadable via DSi? I can't remember, but I don't think classics are really on there. That's probably more a Virtual Console thing.

Link's Awakening is pretty good, and the only portable Zelda I like at all (though I've yet to play the newest train based one....I ended up buying it despite the likelihood I'll hate it, as it plummeted from $30ish to

Got my 3ds from NCSX yesterday. Could have canceled against the price-gouging, but what the heck -- been a while since I got a worthwhile gadget and I wasn't spending any money on audio equipment this month. Just bought Layton and Musou, since my primary interest was to get the JP games and avoid awful voiceovers on US releases.

The 3D imagery works very well. It's true that the image can lose focus easily, but it's just as easy to get back. I didn't find the blurred image when I lost focus to be much of a nuisance, though this will depend a lot on the user. I was surprised (more surprised that I don't think I've seen this really mentioned in previews) that you can see 3D from an angle, long as you were in the sweet spot there as well; you basically have a ~6deg good sweet spot to view the 3D from, every 10~15 degrees or so. That said, while games look great they still need to work on the whole 3D thing -- Layton looks a lot like those pop-out books; open-environment games like Musou don't lend to good 3d imagery (anything at a distance needs to be flat), and while they did a good job @ keeping the main game looking natural 3D the pop-outs when you beat the level and the demo scenes can seem a bit excessive. Closed-environment games like RE will probably get the biggest benefit from going 3D. Is 3D still a gimmick? Yes. Will I turn it off? Hell no, and the more the devs learn the system, all the less reasons to do so.

The biggest surprise IMHO was in the audio. The phantom surround does a super job at positioning sound (no small thanks to the fact that you're trying to keep a good position on the 3DS for its 3D effect), and effectively makes you forget that the speakers are still just tinny portable-speakers. Very cool, and again, horror games like RE will probably make the most use out of it. Too bad it doesn't work in conjunction w/ hp output (either that or I haven't found the setting for it yet).

[quote name='Wolfpup']Link's Awakening is pretty good, and the only portable Zelda I like at all (though I've yet to play the newest train based one....I ended up buying it despite the likelihood I'll hate it, as it plummeted from $30ish to

[quote name='Strell']http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=151799I imagine it'll launch with Zelda: Link's Awakening, if only because it's been heavily pimped thus far as an example of the service and would make a nice side-by-side release to the OOT remake.

I want to find out what the 3D Classics fully entails. Straight NES ports with 3D effects? Or maybe they'll update graphics? Eager to hear more about those.[/QUOTE]

That's multiple playthroughs right there. Link's Awakening is gaming perfection. I, too, have high hopes for the 3d classics...I'm sure I'll be picking a few of those up down the line.

[quote name='javeryh']You are seriously missing out and I wouldn't wait for it on the 3DS - I'd go play it NOW. Link's Awakening is one of the best games ever made on any platform ever. The Oracle games are fantastic too. The DS games and Minish Cap are OK - good games in their own right but they can't even sniff the greatness of the GB/GBC Zeldas.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Link's Awakening is so good, in fact, that I even tracked down a copy of Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naruand played it to completion. So good.

[quote name='cochesecochese']Agreed. Link's Awakening is so good, in fact, that I even tracked down a copy of Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naruand played it to completion. So good.[/QUOTE]

Dang, there are probably so many games like that that never made it here, or that I missed, that I'd love to get to play.

[quote name='cochesecochese']Agreed. Link's Awakening is so good, in fact, that I even tracked down a copy of Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naruand played it to completion. So good.[/QUOTE]

Damn - I never even heard of that. Looks good though. Is it playable if you don't know any Japanese? I'll put it on my PSP tonight if that is the case...

I would say no without a guide. I played through it when I still had a fair grasp on basic Japanese (long since rotted away) and had a strategy guide at my side. If you can play this with a guide in front of you then go for it!

Apparently there is a translation project underway but it won't be out for a while.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Dang, there are probably so many games like that that never made it here, or that I missed, that I'd love to get to play.[/QUOTE]

This has been my almost universal gripe with Nintendo since the advent of the internet. There are just so many amazing Japan only games that I wish Nintendo would bring overseas. I understand that the development process is very 'Japanese' so a lot of stuff isn't translatable but man, it still stings like a Mother.

I must be the only person who detested spirit tracks.

They took everything I hated about phantom hourglass and expanded it, while removing a great deal of freedom in the overworld - the entire travel system in the game was literally on-rails... to me it felt like they removed a huge part of what makes zelda great and fun.

[quote name='BattleChicken']I must be the only person who detested spirit tracks.

They took everything I hated about phantom hourglass and expanded it, while removing a great deal of freedom in the overworld - the entire travel system in the game was literally on-rails... to me it felt like they removed a huge part of what makes zelda great and fun.[/QUOTE]

Not the only one. First Zelda I didn't finish (youtubed the ending, clearly didn't miss anything, lol). Seriously, what a shitty shitty game. I then proceded to play Awakening DX, and all was right in the portable world :D

I really would love for Capcom to be put back on the Zelda portable games. Ages, Seasons, and Minish Cap were all fantastic games.

Edit: thanks for the opinions Muumuu, I'm surprised I haven't seen more import opinions around the net (not that I've looked).

[quote name='cochesecochese']...it still stings like a Mother.[/QUOTE]

What you did there. I see it.

More top-down 2D zeldas without any fancy stylus controls or whatever would be awesome. I still have my copies of Oracle of Ages and Minish Cap. I know I had Link's Awakening at one point, but I guess I sold it some time ago. Oh, the stupidity of youth.

This thread also reminds me that I really need to playthrough Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess soon...I've started each numerous times, but never finished.

Has anyone here downloaded Looksley's Lineup, the DSiware game? I was just wondering if anyone can compare the 3D effect that game offers to the 3DS. Looksley's Lineup was sooo frustrating to find a good angle on 3D. I know it's a different system and specs and all -- just looking for a comparison.

[quote name='javeryh']You are seriously missing out and I wouldn't wait for it on the 3DS - I'd go play it NOW. Link's Awakening is one of the best games ever made on any platform ever. The Oracle games are fantastic too. The DS games and Minish Cap are OK - good games in their own right but they can't even sniff the greatness of the GB/GBC Zeldas.

I just finished Link's Awakening about a month ago (yet again) and I'm in the 5th dungeon in Oracle of Ages now (yet again). I still play through these games every so often - they are that good.[/QUOTE]

I couldn't agree more. Link's Awakening is my favorite Zelda game, ever. It captures simplicity of the original game's art style since it's still an 8-bit title, but much more refined - the way you'd expect LttP to look if it was de-made for the NES. The music has some great original tunes and interpretations of other Zelda music, and the 2Dish-style dungeon portions recapture some of the feel of Zelda 2 without changing or complicating the basic gameplay.

The cameos of Chain-Chomps and Goombas really add some charm, too. Play it! ASAP!

Le sigh, just canceled my preorder. Just can't justify it to only play DS games when I have a perfectly fine DSL. Saw on Eurogamer that OoT is supposed to release in June, so maybe I'll likely pick one up then just because I'm a slut for OoT :D

[quote name='cochesecochese']
This has been my almost universal gripe with Nintendo since the advent of the internet. There are just so many amazing Japan only games that I wish Nintendo would bring overseas. I understand that the development process is very 'Japanese' so a lot of stuff isn't translatable but man, it still stings like a Mother.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm with you there. If only import games weren't so expensive and time-consuming to work through, I'd do it more.

Really wishing the 3DS wasn't region-locked, since I can't justify the expense of a Japanese model along with a US model. I'm hoping that the 3DS will at least let me play my Japanese DS games, but I haven't heard if that will work either way.

[quote name='Trillian']Really wishing the 3DS wasn't region-locked, since I can't justify the expense of a Japanese model along with a US model. I'm hoping that the 3DS will at least let me play my Japanese DS games, but I haven't heard if that will work either way.[/QUOTE]

Ouch, that would be an expensive purchase right now, what with the import cost of a Japanese 3DS. If I understood Japanese, I'd be torn too, what with all the great stuff Japan gets first, or only.

DS games are region free.
Your imports will work on the 3DS.

As for import 3DS games, there will be a region free solution created eventually so I'm that worried.

Yeah, I thought my DS games would be fine on the 3DS, but I wasn't certain. And when there's a way to play imports on the 3DS, I'll try it. To me it's not really about getting the Japanese version before a game comes overseas, but getting the good things that never come here at all. There's been some really good portable games that never made it here that makes the added expense and time (I can't plow through a Japanese text-heavy game quickly) worth it to me.

But the region-lock thing is only a small gripe. I'm really looking forward to my 3DS.

Sad to say, but I just cancelled my preorder for the 3DS. I was really excited for it a couple of months back but after seeing the list of launch game, I can wait.

Looking foward to picking it up with Zelda OoT or Metal Gear Soild 3 though. Make it happen soon Nintendo/Konami!

I've also canceled my 3DS pre-order a while ago, but have some regrets now. I'm glad to hear that those Augmented Reality cards are easily replaceable via copy/printer method. I can still see a viable market for those since TCG is still popular. Hopefully, it won't be a passing fad and can be utilized more in upcoming games.

Starting to get kinda worried, saw how quickly Japan sold out (And how inflated it is in price now). Hoping Gamestop gets in plenty of stock for all the pre-order's.

Thinking of putting a second pre-order down somewhere else just incase

I'm waiting for CM4's 3DS case to appear on Amazon. Expensive but it seems very high quality, and they are the only company making something comparable to the case I got from PlayAsia for my DSL. I want something that is slim and provides protection, but isn't aluminum or plastic since those won't absorb low grade shock as well as something with strong, soft material.

I might go crazy and order it from the UK. At which point, I will be crazy.

Edit: On the subject of accessories, here's a list with links to Amazon for some officially licensed stuff. I like the "Messenger Bag" and "Mini Elite Transporter Case" and "Elite Transporter" cases. A bit on the expensive side, and I don't think if they are any better than what I already have, which is a beast to eat your nightmares.

Also, looks like screens of the 3DS Cave Story remake have surfaced. I have to say I'm a little underwhelmed, honestly. I wonder if its the case that it looks better in motion. The egg corridor looks excellent but the other two are quite paltry. I'll wait for more information to appear.

This also makes me wonder if Nintendo has plans to allow for demos of games to be delivered for retail releases. That would help. I doubt it's on the table but we won't know until May anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've think I've finally decided that I won't be getting any games for this at launch. My first game will probably be Ocarina of Time. I'm still going to get a 3DS at launch though. The price will obviously not drop in a long time and you never know how hard it may be to find one 3 or 4 months down the road.

I wish Nintendo had some demo units out at stores like Best Buy or Gamestop. I have been considering ordering a 3DS, but I am going to wait. I won't order one without actually trying the 3D effects out for myself.

[quote name='Strell']Also, looks like screens of the 3DS Cave Story remake have surfaced. I have to say I'm a little underwhelmed, honestly. I wonder if its the case that it looks better in motion. The egg corridor looks excellent but the other two are quite paltry. I'll wait for more information to appear.[/QUOTE]

I was actually never really interested in Cave Story, but the Nintendo Power issue this month made me a little more interested. Isn't that game crazy hardcore difficult, though?

[quote name='GaveUpTomorrow']I wish Nintendo had some demo units out at stores like Best Buy or Gamestop. I have been considering ordering a 3DS, but I am going to wait. I won't order one without actually trying the 3D effects out for myself.[/QUOTE]

I'm not too worried about the 3D effects. If they bother me, I'll just switch them off.

March 27th can't come soon enough. Well, March 28th. I paid for next-day shipping from Amazon. ;)

bread's done
Back