Nintendo 3DS - General Discussion Thread

I've taken my 3DS out with me regularly for the past year or so and that Target kiosk is the only StreetPass I've ever gotten. Target, GameStop, and Best Buy have all turned up nothing, so my only hope is that Nintendo wises up and adds SpotPass functionality to that stuff so you can at least get the Miis of friends to use in Find Mii 2.

I actually have about eight Miis in that StreetPass plaza, but only Moffitt and TargetGuy show up in Find Mii 2 to confuse me with how that works. The only option that I see is spending 20 coins on a full suite of fighters and hope that I get a few blues to take out that fire room so I can finally do some fighting.

[quote name='100xp']That's the least they could do!

...but good to know that system transfer is doable at the store. I guess i'm going tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

Normally its not. They don't have WiFi (which you have to have active to do the transfer) so I used my phone as a hotspot to accomplish this. The store wasn't really busy.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I've taken my 3DS out with me regularly for the past year or so and that Target kiosk is the only StreetPass I've ever gotten. Target, GameStop, and Best Buy have all turned up nothing, so my only hope is that Nintendo wises up and adds SpotPass functionality to that stuff so you can at least get the Miis of friends to use in Find Mii 2.

I actually have about eight Miis in that StreetPass plaza, but only Moffitt and TargetGuy show up in Find Mii 2 to confuse me with how that works. The only option that I see is spending 20 coins on a full suite of fighters and hope that I get a few blues to take out that fire room so I can finally do some fighting.[/QUOTE]

I was trying to gather all the hats/etc., but at some point I got fed up with the silly paths and 'special rooms'.
I was doing the puzzles as well, but spending about 30 coins to get random pieces (often times only a single new piece) became a chore.

Nintendo: 'We get it...this is kind of a cool thing...but make it less random, and annoying next time'

Laaame, I'm really disappointed to hear about the Nyko Power Grip. I hope someone else will decide to capitalize on it. I think I've got a new project idea for Wiggyx...

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I've taken my 3DS out with me regularly for the past year or so and that Target kiosk is the only StreetPass I've ever gotten. Target, GameStop, and Best Buy have all turned up nothing, so my only hope is that Nintendo wises up and adds SpotPass functionality to that stuff so you can at least get the Miis of friends to use in Find Mii 2.

I actually have about eight Miis in that StreetPass plaza, but only Moffitt and TargetGuy show up in Find Mii 2 to confuse me with how that works. The only option that I see is spending 20 coins on a full suite of fighters and hope that I get a few blues to take out that fire room so I can finally do some fighting.[/QUOTE]

That's a bummer. I get passes about 5 days a week, there are a few people at work (I work on a large hospital campus) and a few local places around town, including a punk/vegan diner that doubles as an arcade. I've hit 3-4 people more than 10 times, giving me plenty of level 7 people to choose from and being able to plow through the early stages of Find Mii II. I don't really care much about it anymore, but it's nice to be able to actually progress when I have some Street Pass visitors.

More importantly, Street Pass data from NSMB2, Kid Icarus, and for awhile Mario Kart and Resident Evil keep/kept all of those games interesting with something new to do, even if it wasn't a ton of content. I find myself carrying my 3DS all the time just to try and get more Street Passes as the system ages and more people are carrying them.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']So, there's a promo with eBay bucks where I can get 40 eBay bucks in January for buying a 3DS XL. Should I do it? :X[/QUOTE]

Probably. Unless you have something to trade in towards one, then I'm not sure.

[quote name='elessar123']Probably. Unless you have something to trade in towards one, then I'm not sure.[/QUOTE]
My issues are with how little I play my 3DS, if it's worth the upgrade, and if there will be some good Black Friday deal that Amazon matches since I have many riches from their trade in program.

I also want to hold out for some fancy LE.

[quote name='ZombieToast']Even so, heroes like Reggie and Scott that Nintendo has sent out to people through SpotPass are quite helpful. It's unfortunate you don't have Reggie, but just like him, Scott is level 7 which is fairly powerful, especially when paired up with another hero (even a wandering one). And since you know that you have a Target with a StreetPass-enabled 3DS, I would suggest going back there periodically because repeat meetings will cause him to level up.

If you can gradually add more StreetPass heroes, it will help a great deal because then you'll be able to hand-pick someone of a specific color if necessary. I know it can be a pain to meet anyone through StreetPass—it's rare for me to meet anyone in my town with a 3DS—but they eventually add up.[/QUOTE]

Zombie do I have you as a street pass? I get quite a lot of people at the store i work at on colony and panama lane every day I get at least one street pass

[quote name='dallow']I'm holding out too.[/QUOTE]
Good to know pal. We'll hold hands when we're waiting outside for GS to open first day for the Mother 4 Special Limited Edition 3DS XL with free copy of Mother 4 on 3DS.

[quote name='200STM']Zombie do I have you as a street pass? I get quite a lot of people at the store i work at on colony and panama lane every day I get at least one street pass[/QUOTE]
No, I don't think so. I think I've been over there maybe three times in the last two years and each time, it was to stop at Walmart sometime after midnight and I never received any StreetPasses. In fact, I just took a look at my Plaza and you don't appear to be there (I'm using the image of your Mii in my friends list for comparison), so I assume I'm not in yours. If I think of it, maybe I'll send you a message next time I'm out that way.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']So, there's a promo with eBay bucks where I can get 40 eBay bucks in January for buying a 3DS XL. Should I do it? :X[/QUOTE]

i did it with the Kmart deal back in sept

i think i got my 3ds xl around sept 5?

never played it till oct 2

only 2 games i played on 3ds so far

The Denpa Men: They Came By Wave one of the best downloads to date for 9.99
and
puzzler world 2012

everything else is DS games

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Good to know pal. We'll hold hands when we're waiting outside for GS to open first day for the Mother 4 Special Limited Edition 3DS XL with free copy of Mother 4 on 3DS.[/QUOTE]

I'm gonna hold out for that as well:bouncy:

Can anyone recommend a decent 3DS XL case, I'm hoping by now we've got beyond the ill fitting DSi XL cases and got something decent.

I want take mine back to the UK with me in Dec so I'd like a case for it.

Huh...I haven't actually tried the free case I got with my XL from Best Buy yet. Did discover my DS XL case doesn't fit though. Normally not a big deal 'cause I can just throw it in lose with in my notebook's compartment (which is clean/doesn't have random stuff flying around).

Does anyone know if Paper Mario is going to have multiple saves? Please tell me it is going to have at least 3 saves. Me and two kids. :)

[quote name='crunchewy']Does anyone know if Paper Mario is going to have multiple saves? Please tell me it is going to have at least 3 saves. Me and two kids. :)[/QUOTE]
I asked Phil Kollar about that and he said it has three slots.

Formatting it probably takes a lot of time. But the Speed of the card depends too.

I'm using a 16gb card myself. It's a Class 4, so it's a bit slow I admit, but it's fine for what I use it for.

Was curious because it works great for me, and faster than the stock card from my speed tests.

Formatting should be done on your computer though and takes seconds as it just needs a quick format.

[quote name='dallow']I'm using a 32gb card.

What's the issue?[/QUOTE]

Well now I'm certain there was something wrong with it that made it incompatible with 3DS, so never mind :lol:. Not sure what, worked fine in my computer. I tried a microSD + adapter and it worked so it's going back to amazon.

Seriously, though, I got top of the line, 32gb class 10 Sandisk brand SD card, formatted and copied three times and couldn't download anything - games kept disappearing, all kinds of crap.

Finally emailed Nintendo who told me to call them. Called nintendo and they told me it was the wrong file system. Turns out it's only possible, far as I can tell, to format a 32gb card as FAT32, not FAT or FAT16 like they suggested.

Seriously, though, only 2GB, and they're selling full mario games online? I'd gladly pay more for an official card so QA would deal with this stuff instead of me. I hate people telling me I'm doing it wrong when the wife is repeating SEND IT BACK and she's right.

/rant :p

I used that program initially. Option for FAT16 never appeared with the card. Thanks though.

I'll use the microSD+adapter and amazon is getting the mysterious dud.

Ordered Harvest Moon for the 3DS today, well the new one. I was considering Paper Mario but I realized, I am not a huge Paper Mario fan. So I decided to pass and buy Harvest Moon instead. Ordered it off Amazon so I will have it in on Wed I believe.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Ordered Harvest Moon for the 3DS today, well the new one. I was considering Paper Mario but I realized, I am not a huge Paper Mario fan. So I decided to pass and buy Harvest Moon instead. Ordered it off Amazon so I will have it in on Wed I believe.[/QUOTE]

one problem i had with moon is you played one you mostly played them all

Anyone ever have any luck sending a 3DS to Nintendo for a wobbly screen/top screen touching bottom when close and actually having them solve the problem?

They sent me a different one that's even worse than the one I had before.

[quote name='whoknows']Anyone ever have any luck sending a 3DS to Nintendo for a wobbly screen/top screen touching bottom when close and actually having them solve the problem?

They sent me a different one that's even worse than the one I had before.[/QUOTE]

For my original 3DS I went through 2 replacements before I just gave up. The newer hardware seems to be better.

Harvest Moon arrived today and Paper Mario is on the way. I'm excited to have something to play on my 3DS again, it's been awhile for me. Also, I tried the Epic Mickey demo out and thought it was pretty fun. I don't know if the full game will be any good or not but I enjoyed the demo.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']For my original 3DS I went through 2 replacements before I just gave up. The newer hardware seems to be better.[/QUOTE]

Awful.

I can't decide if I should just give up or keep trying.

Or just get rid of it because shit like that really isn't acceptable.

[quote name='whoknows']Awful.

I can't decide if I should just give up or keep trying.

Or just get rid of it because shit like that really isn't acceptable.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, on my second call the rep. got super argumentative with me about it too.

It's pretty insane they tried to sell something so shoddily built for $250 originally.

I'm tempted to trade mine towards an XL because it seems to be built a lot better, but I'm hesitant because it seems like I'm giving Nintendo money because they messed up.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think some of you need to play more games, meet more girls, and learn to not be so anal about stupid plastic toys. I love my 3DS if it has problems, I'll just ignore them as long as I can still play on it and it works. Some of you guys sound anal as all hell.

Just saying.

(can of worms)

Some people have valid complaints, but for the most part, I agree that the majority of folks are a bit too anal, especially those who sent their units back because of smudges on the screen. As a result, Amazon no longer sells Nintendo hardware.

[quote name='b3b0p']I think some of you need to play more games, meet more girls, and learn to not be so anal about stupid plastic toys. I love my 3DS if it has problems, I'll just ignore them as long as I can still play on it and it works. Some of you guys sound anal as all hell.

Just saying.

(can of worms)[/QUOTE]

Sorry I expect a new product to have some sort of quality control? If it was a cheap system, then whatever, but when it's close to $200 I expect some sort of quality standards.

The screens touching when the system is closed is unacceptable in every way. The top screen being so wobbly is very annoying. If you can live with it, great, but when the newer systems don't have either of those issues I feel like my complaints are valid.

I'm thinking of getting one of those grips for the (original) 3DS that makes it more like a game controller. Just wondering if others have gotten one and if you like it? I *love* Paper Mario, but playing on my kids' 3DS is making my fingers cramp up. Buying an XL isn't really an option right now.

Try to find a case with hinges, they are like a plastic cover that fits over the system. I have one from eBay for my dsi and it has the unintended effect of making the screens of the system perfectly stable.

I have a feeling though there is a reason for the wobble though, if the hinges are too tight then the system may develop hinge cracks... Remember the DS lite!

[quote name='b3b0p']I think some of you need to play more games, meet more girls, and learn to not be so anal about stupid plastic toys. I love my 3DS if it has problems, I'll just ignore them as long as I can still play on it and it works. Some of you guys sound anal as all hell.

Just saying.

(can of worms)[/QUOTE]

The hinge actually does affect gameplay. Particularly in the early days when games were using the gyro more. I can't even tell you the number of times I had the annoyance of the screen flopping forward and back while I was playing, we're not talking about just a little wiggle, we're talking about a full on completely loose flop of about an inch. On a system of that size having the screen flopping back and forth an inch is not just annoying but, because of the 3D, actually more difficult to keep getting the right focus.

The screen smudges never bothered me though because I put screen protectors on it day 1.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']Is it crazy to buy a 3DS over the XL?[/QUOTE]

Not if you can get a deal or if the larger size is an big issue.

But, the screen on the 3DSXL does look a lot nicer (despite the lower PPI).

[quote name='foltzie']Not if you can get a deal or if the larger size is an big issue.

But, the screen on the 3DSXL does look a lot nicer (despite the lower PPI).[/QUOTE]

Battery life is better on the XL as well isn't it, although I don't know how much better.

bread's done
Back