Nintendo 3DS Price Drop Hits on August 9th at Walmart

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[IMG-R=5838]24198[/IMG-R]According to a trusted source, Walmart will be dropping the price of the Nintendo 3DS on August 9th, 3 days before the official drop takes effect. This means savvy shoppers will be able to get the new low price and the 20 free downloadable games available as a reward to early adopters of the 3DS. Just connect to the Nintendo eShop at least once before 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on Aug. 11 to qualify for the free games.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Magicman103']Apparently, amazon temporarily pulled the cosmo black 3ds from their website not too long ago because of these hinge problems.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/gadgetrev...-black-nintendo-3ds-over-hinge-concerns/26488

Also heres a poll conducted over at gbatemp about screen wobble.

http://gbatemp.net/t287596-black-vs-blue-hinge-wobble

I dont know it seems weird that on the poll more people have a black 3ds with no wobble than people with a blue 3ds with no wobble. This definitely goes against most reports and amazons decision to stop selling it for a couple days.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't worry about the hinge too much. The left one is definitely weaker and different from the right hinge. No doubt. But, even with my less-than-one-week old model, it seems like the hinge has gotten better with more use. It's almost no longer squeaky and definitely more solid. If you have a problem of getting the 3DS top screen to lock into place once you're at 170° (or whatever angle it is), then I'd worry.

If you can get a screen protector or rubber feet (like this: http://kotaku.com/5827483/the-xbox-360-has-a-hidden-solution-to-your-nintendo-3ds-screen-woes), I might suggest that to prevent any possible marking/scratching to the top display. The top screen is definitely shallow and the wider top screen doesn't match with the bottom screen's bezel, so I can see the scratching/marking issue if you have a bad hinge or move your 3DS around everywhere while its closed. Also doesn't help is you slam shut your 3DS.

Otherwise, I think people are making the big quality issues a bigger deal than they really are. Also, you still have 30 days for returns/replacements plus the 90 day warranty through Nintendo after you register your 3DS, so really you should know where you are with the problems in that time frame.

This is a lot of money for an unemployed college student, but I don't think I can resist the impulse buy if I see one at my local Walmart.

If the free 20 games were DS or N64 games then hell yeah. But since these are NES games and GBA... no thanks. I stopped playing those back in the 90s.

[quote name='oasisboy']If the free 20 games were DS or N64 games then hell yeah. But since these are NES games and GBA... no thanks. I stopped playing those back in the 90s.[/QUOTE]

...Underage user alert?

[quote name='WhiteLens']I didn't know GBA existed during the 90s...[/QUOTE]

It was such a long time ago. My brain has been fried by Nintendo.

I happened to look at Walmart.com just now and noticed they have the 3DS up for preorder now...and it says that it ships on the 12th.
So...at least on-line their still going with the 12th.

[quote name='oasisboy']It was such a long time ago. My brain has been fried by Nintendo.[/QUOTE]
Nintendo... Brainwashed me...
drooling_homer.gif

hey guys i wonder if this is worth the buy at walmart with the 20 free games? i know it prolly varies for everybody, but i know i can just get this tax free at amazon for $169 without the games or pay a extra $ tax at walmart which basically mean i bought the 20 games. is it worth it? and do u think there will be deals that will go better than this past aug 12?? :/ cant decide whether to buy it now or later

[quote name='pandanese90']hey guys i wonder if this is worth the buy at walmart with the 20 free games? i know it prolly varies for everybody, but i know i can just get this tax free at amazon for $169 without the games or pay a extra $ tax at walmart which basically mean i bought the 20 games. is it worth it? and do u think there will be deals that will go better than this past aug 12?? :/ cant decide whether to buy it now or later[/QUOTE]

You're basically paying $17 then to get approximately $100 worth of classic game downloads. If you have absolutely no interest in classic games or no interest in downloadable games then this is just likely not the time for you to buy a 3DS. At that point, you should wait for a Christmas or Black Friday bundle with a game you are interested in.

However, if you are just going to buy the on 9th from Walmart OR buy on the 12th from Amazon, you might as well spend the extra $17 for the games, especially since 10 of them are going to be exclusive to Ambassadors for the foreseeable future. And since there are several that have still not been announced, you may find that you are interested in at least one of them.

[quote name='tonybonjovi']I happened to look at Walmart.com just now and noticed they have the 3DS up for preorder now...and it says that it ships on the 12th.
So...at least on-line their still going with the 12th.[/QUOTE]

...Shit.

That could either be a good thing (hyping sales for the inevitable Tuesday price drop) or a bad thing (they actually bothered to change SKUs, fucking over the price adjusters).

AND.....Now....they have completely pulled ALL of the Nintendo 3DS from the web site...I guess they are trying to avoid refunding the 80 dollars...at least for on-line orders

If Walmart are doing the price drop for the 9th because they don't want to deal with a horde of price drops, props and very smart haha Walmart is "business > hassle."

The weekly ad shows nothing of the price drop, and nothing of the 3ds period. Walmart.com pulled the WHOLE 3ds category completely. You click on Nintendo 3ds and it has some sorry your search bla bla message. I bet they are redoing the whole section hopefully for a Tuesday release.

Well if the weekly ad doesn't have anything in it, there goes the idea of price matching at Best Buy early.

Bullocks.

Last edited by a moderator:
*GULP*

I really hope this is just cocking of the gun prior to the rumored sale and not the first move toward a retraction of the entire deal.

[quote name='NeoGutsman']*GULP*

I really hope this is just cocking of the gun prior to the rumored sale and not the first move toward a retraction of the entire deal.[/QUOTE]

not_sure_if_serious.jpg

Still not buying one. I want more than a remake player with a 3hour battery life. Even Cheapy said the 3D effect was not terribly impressive and gimmicky.

I'd really rather not buy something just to play games I still own on it anyway, even if they're a smidge prettier.

Awesome...so people can have a 170 dollar useless brick that gives you eye strain for the hour it has batteries instead of a 250 dollar one. Make sure you all jump on this deal pronto! Lol

[quote name='QuarterRoy00']Well if the weekly ad doesn't have anything in it, there goes the idea of price matching at Best Buy early.

Bullocks.[/QUOTE]

It was never that likely. Those ad papers are finalized at least a month ahead of time.

[quote name='JaylisJayP']Awesome...so people can have a 170 dollar useless brick that gives you eye strain for the hour it has batteries instead of a 250 dollar one. Make sure you all jump on this deal pronto! Lol[/QUOTE]

Troll moar

[quote name='JaylisJayP']Awesome...so people can have a 170 dollar useless brick that gives you eye strain for the hour it has batteries instead of a 250 dollar one. Make sure you all jump on this deal pronto! Lol[/QUOTE]

:whistle2:s

WTH are you trying to say?

I really don't understand why people do this, does it make you feel better or is the fact that you probably just can't afford one. If you don't like it fine that is your opinion but being sarcastic towards people looking forward to this all I can do is sigh.

[quote name='skiizim']I really don't understand why people do this, does it make you feel better or is the fact that you probably just can't afford one. If you don't like it fine that is your opinion but being sarcastic towards people looking forward to this all I can do is sigh.[/QUOTE]

You mean class warfare type crap? Although its not even much of a class difference which would make its all the more sad if true. Not like buying a system isn't actually a type of entertainment investment. I look at games this way: I can see a 2 hr movie for 8-10 bucks or more or I can buy a game for 30 or 40 on sale i will play for 20 hours to maybe ten times that If I am really like it or the MP.

Right now you can buy a 3DS on Amazon for $215. If the Walmart deal doesn't carry through, this might be a good bet.
I wonder when the deal will go "live". If I show up at Walmart Tuesday at 12:01 am will that work? Anyone here with any insight?

[quote name='danddman']Right now you can buy a 3DS on Amazon for $215. If the Walmart deal doesn't carry through, this might be a good bet.
I wonder when the deal will go "live". If I show up at Walmart Tuesday at 12:01 am will that work? Anyone here with any insight?[/QUOTE]

How on earth is $215 a good deal?

What I meant is that if you want to 20 free games and Walmart doesn't follow through, you could order a 3DS on Amazon and get it before the July 12th deadline. Maybe you don't think it is a good deal, but I'm just trying to contribute.

[quote name='danddman']What I meant is that if you want to 20 free games and Walmart doesn't follow through, you could order a 3DS on Amazon and get it before the July 12th deadline. Maybe you don't think it is a good deal, but I'm just trying to contribute.[/QUOTE]

Why not just buy it at best buy and get and adjustment??

Ay! if you're gonna try to troll someone at least try to make some sense.

ok so i figured, no one knows when the flare red version of the 3ds will come out, but watching an unboxing, they said the buttons click more crisp and the original black and aqua has plastic cheap press on them. I know it doesnt matter much, but is it true? (crappy buttons?) i have a psp go and the button press are smooth as jesus's cross.
u think they'll update them for the black one? i really that one =] and for the deals, im gonna try to go to walmart and see if i can get it , but im sure the employees will be very dumbfounded about the deal.. -__-
also, if not the walmart deal, do u think the following week will release butt loads of deals with the 3ds and i'll fall into regret?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I just want pokemon white and super scribblenauts whens i get my 3ds.

ok so i figured, no one knows when the flare red version of the 3ds will come out, but watching an unboxing, they said the buttons click more crisp and the original black and aqua has plastic cheap press on them. I know it doesnt matter much, but is it true? (crappy buttons?) i have a psp go and the button press are smooth as jesus's cross.
u think they'll update them for the black one? i really that one =] and for the deals, im gonna try to go to walmart and see if i can get it , but im sure the employees will be very dumbfounded about the deal.. -__-
also, if not the walmart deal, do u think the following week will release butt loads of deals with the 3ds and i'll fall into regret?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I just want pokemon white and super scribblenauts whens i get my 3ds.

Well, I was planning on buying a 3DS after the price cut when a game I might like is cheap enough or when unofficial homebrew support appears.

Though if I can pay 170 now and get the 20 free games I might as well buy it now.

Hopefully one of my local Wal-Marts will have the price drop early morning and there won't be too many people who caught onto the deal right away.
Two Wal-Marts to try so maybe I'll get lucky.

Price cut and a chance to get the special free game deal has me sold.

Especially since I won't be buying any games till they get dirt cheap.

Might get Zelda though, knowing that game they'll never lower its price five years from now >.

planning to go out and buy a 3DS tomorrow at target.

If I do buy it tomorrow at $250 and come back on the 12th, will target adjust the price?

thanks for any advice. I wanted to get one at launch but couldn't justify the huge price tag.

[quote name='KnightPaladin']planning to go out and buy a 3DS tomorrow at target.

If I do buy it tomorrow at $250 and come back on the 12th, will target adjust the price?

thanks for any advice. I wanted to get one at launch but couldn't justify the huge price tag.[/QUOTE]

I just picked one up earlier today and the Best Buy associate already knew about this and reminded me to come back after the 12th to get a price adjustment. Target shouldn't give you any trouble either. There is not going to be a different SKU, so no issues there.

Target's price adjust period is the current week of purchase or the week after.

Best Buy will adjust within the "Exchange and Return Period" which is 30 days normally, and 45 days for Premier Silver members.

I would suggest you do it sooner rather than later.

Good luck everyone!

[quote name='steveliv']

Thanks for the info Steveliv,

Good to see bestbuy tells their customers to come back to adjust the price.

[quote name='KnightPaladin'][quote name='steveliv']

Thanks for the info Steveliv,

Good to see bestbuy tells their customers to come back to adjust the price.[/QUOTE]

Hold up on Target. I went there tonight and asked and they said they wouldn't because it wasn't an "advertised sale price". If you look at the wording of their adjustment policy it does actually refer to advertised prices. The best part? They told me that best buy was allowing the price adjustment!!!! So I went to BB, talked to the (a?) store manager and he said they certainly would do the price adjustment.

I'm not completely sure I believe Target, it sounded like a canned response from the guy I talked to and he did know about the price drop coming up. The wording of the policy is a little different online than on the wall in the store by customer service.

I would have preferred to get mine at Target because with my redcard I save 5% and I can just walk to the service counter and pay the balance off before I leave the store. I am buying two, so that would almost completely wipe out the tax. Oh well, I'll pay the tax to get 20 free games for my kids on each system.

Does anyone know what Walmart's price guarantee policy is? Can I just go in on Monday and get one and then get the updated price match later in the week?

[quote name='Dacoops3']Does anyone know what Walmart's price guarantee policy is? Can I just go in on Monday and get one and then get the updated price match later in the week?[/QUOTE]

52-lol-wut.jpg

The price drop will not involve a new SKU so Target is still a go. All you do is bring your receipt to customer service and say that the price dropped. They will scan the receipt, they will scan the item, and the computer will figure the difference. You'll get it back the way you paid. I did this back when the BTTF bluray set dropped in price. They didn't ask to see an ad.

Wal-Marts policy is unclear. Best Buy is going to be your best bet if you want a sure thing.

My mommy hates me, I don't know how to save, I can't afford the system or I'm really not a "true" gamer (Circle One). Got to love ignorant douchebags who decide to share their insignificant opinions on forums. So glad you're on CAG....cough sarcasm.... This is a community that helps each other save and I guess even with multiple topics on this subject matter you've failed to see this is currently the best deal on this system. Wasn't planning on getting a 3DS this year, but with this great price drop with 20 games it is by far the best hand held deal I've seen in my 22 years of gaming so early in a system's life cycle.

I bought a 3DS at Walmart yesterday. The manager of the electronics section assured me that if I brought back the box unopened they would do a price adjustment, which he confirmed was happening Tuesday. The catch was that the box has to be unopened, as he claimed that the price drop on the 3DS was a "rollback," meaning, a temporary sale. I tried explaining to him that to my knowledge it was permanent, but he seemed convinced otherwise. Either way, I now have a black 3DS that I'll be keeping in the box go bring in Tuesday to get the price adjustment.

Best Buy offers a 30 day price guarantee, verified thru their stores and Cust Service.

Target has a 14 day price adjust, so buy it before 8/12/11 and get the difference back, plus the free games.

I bought one back in June when Target offered a $25 GC w/purchase of the 3DS. Luckily, I had no time to open it before so it went back and I'll be purchasing another one this week before 8/12/11 & I'll get the free games. It's not the free games I care about, The $70 price difference IS.

It's a loop hole and not an immoral one either. Retailers offer price guarantees and we, the Consumers benefit from that. Nintendo, BTW, should know this and make the adjustment. So the REAL early adopters get the benefit and not the Johnny-Come-Latelys, like myself.

[quote name='AirMcLaren']I bought a 3DS at Walmart yesterday. The manager of the electronics section assured me that if I brought back the box unopened they would do a price adjustment, which he confirmed was happening Tuesday. The catch was that the box has to be unopened, as he claimed that the price drop on the 3DS was a "rollback," meaning, a temporary sale. I tried explaining to him that to my knowledge it was permanent, but he seemed convinced otherwise. Either way, I now have a black 3DS that I'll be keeping in the box go bring in Tuesday to get the price adjustment.[/QUOTE]

If you didn't want the 20 free games, you could have just waited to buy it on the 12th (the 3ds is in no danger of being out of stock). If you do want the 20 free games then you will need to connect to the eshop before the 12th. If that is the case, you should return the 3DS to walmart, and purchase it at a store like target or best buy that don't care if you have opened the system, as they only require you to bring the receipt to do the pricematch.

[quote name='steveliv']If you didn't want the 20 free games, you could have just waited to buy it on the 12th (the 3ds is in no danger of being out of stock). If you do want the 20 free games then you will need to connect to the eshop before the 12th. If that is the case, you should return the 3DS to walmart, and purchase it at a store like target or best buy that don't care if you have opened the system, as they only require you to bring the receipt to do the pricematch.[/QUOTE]

Except he confirmed the price drop would happen the 9th (Tuesday). Obviously he purchased it now to ensure he would have one on the 9th. I'm sure he'd be kicking himself if he waited to buy it and then found that his Walmart sold out before he could return.

After he receives the price drop I'm also sure he has every intention to open it before the 12th, update the system, and connect to the eShop to become an Ambassador.

bread's done
Back