Nintendo 3DS Price Drop Hits on August 9th at Walmart

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[IMG-R=5838]24198[/IMG-R]According to a trusted source, Walmart will be dropping the price of the Nintendo 3DS on August 9th, 3 days before the official drop takes effect. This means savvy shoppers will be able to get the new low price and the 20 free downloadable games available as a reward to early adopters of the 3DS. Just connect to the Nintendo eShop at least once before 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on Aug. 11 to qualify for the free games.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='pandanese90']pulled this off a walmart website

"Q: Do you accept RETURNS without a receipt?

A: Walmart, for several years, has accepted returns without a receipt, even though many of our competitors require receipts for all returns. Walmart gives customers the option of a cash refund (if the purchase was under $25), a shopping card for the amount of the purchase (if it was over $25) or an even exchange for the product. Also, as applicable, we follow any manufacturer’s warranties."

gl[/QUOTE]

Thanks! My Walmart has screwed me a lot in the past but maybe things will be diffrent this time...

[quote name='pandanese90']pulled this off a walmart website

"Q: Do you accept RETURNS without a receipt?

A: Walmart, for several years, has accepted returns without a receipt, even though many of our competitors require receipts for all returns. Walmart gives customers the option of a cash refund (if the purchase was under $25), a shopping card for the amount of the purchase (if it was over $25) or an even exchange for the product. Also, as applicable, we follow any manufacturer’s warranties."

gl[/QUOTE]

One day I really wanted to test how well the policy works throughout the stores so I bought a 360 from a local Walmart store and took it to two other Walmart stores trying to return it without a receipt stating the exact policy.
None of them honored it. True story.

Of course after that I returned it with a receipt to the original store I bought from, but it just proved me that it's something you can't really rely on.

It tested with few games and it worked for the most of the time, but with an item that's as pricey as a 360 or 3DS system it's really YMMV.

[quote name='omyard']If it's like it was when I use to work there it would be whenever the department manager got around to doing it. So technically a store could take a few days to do the price drop, although that is highly unrealistic. Go in early in the morning or wait until the early afternoon and you should be good.[/QUOTE]

I used to work as a Dept. Manager at Wal Mart, and a good friend of mine still does as the Electronics Dept. Manager. Anway, their shifts are 7am-4pm (at least here) and they have until then to do their price changes. Unless they are on vacation, or off that day, then usually no one does them. When I would come back from vacation, I would have a weeks worth to do. I know for my old store, I won't go until after 1pm, when they are finished with break, lunch, and the stupid morning meetings this one has.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']I highly doubt your average shopper knows that this is happening and I wouldn't risk getting mugged just to save a few bucks.[/QUOTE]

ya ur right, hell i learned about it by pure accident, an any1 who is a "I MUST HAVE THIS SHIT" guy would of bought it at launch, but does any1 have a conformation about it in the first place, i called the store and they said 12th, i called walmart.com 1 guy said 12 another told me that it just showed up on their comp and its the ninth so I'm a little confused...

[quote name='zenne96']ya ur right, hell i learned about it by pure accident, an any1 who is a "I MUST HAVE THIS SHIT" guy would of bought it at launch, but does any1 have a conformation about it in the first place, i called the store and they said 12th, i called walmart.com 1 guy said 12 another told me that it just showed up on their comp and its the ninth so I'm a little confused...[/QUOTE]
Cheapy doesn't lie. I'm sure it will be happen on the ninth.

I went to Gamestop to see if I could take my credit from my account and get cash for it so I would have enough to buy it on Tuesday from Wal-Mart, but to no avail =( Guess I'm waiting til Friday.

[quote name='Daveykz']I went to Gamestop to see if I could take my credit from my account and get cash for it so I would have enough to buy it on Tuesday from Wal-Mart, but to no avail =( Guess I'm waiting til Friday.[/QUOTE]

Whoever told you that would work is off their rocker.

[quote name='Flame Killa']I have a PS3 that's unopened and I was wondering if anyone knew if I would be able to return it without the receipt?

Really hoping they take it because this would be a great deal, especially if I get the 20 games still.[/QUOTE]

Did you actually buy it at Wal-Mart?

[quote name='Dashl']I used to work as a Dept. Manager at Wal Mart, and a good friend of mine still does as the Electronics Dept. Manager. Anway, their shifts are 7am-4pm (at least here) and they have until then to do their price changes. Unless they are on vacation, or off that day, then usually no one does them. When I would come back from vacation, I would have a weeks worth to do. I know for my old store, I won't go until after 1pm, when they are finished with break, lunch, and the stupid morning meetings this one has.[/QUOTE]

Department Managers doing "price changes" is just them placing a price label in the price label spot.

All real Walmart's computer-based price changes are automatic.

[quote name='Nintendonly']Department Managers doing "price changes" is just them placing a price label in the price label spot.

All real Walmart's computer-based price changes are automatic.[/QUOTE]

Wow... This is terribly incorrect information.

The VAST MAJORITY of Walmart price changes are not completed until the Department Manager (or similar individual) works the price change on their telxon via the "BAM" screen. This is done so the individual working the price change can enter an inventory count to verify that the markdowns are correctly captured.

There are some exceptions (typically, items that are on sale for an ad or for a limited time) - where the markdown isn't captured until the item is sold at the register (I.e.: the system still thinks the item is the old price, then the register automatically takes the item from the old price to the new price and the markdown is recorded then, on a per-item/per-sale basis).

As for how the 3DS markdown will be done... I don't know. It seems it would be in Walmart's favor to make sure the price change is ready and done as early on Tuesday as possible.

So, just to clarify with everyone on the smartest tactic for actually purchasing a :3ds: tomorrow...

Would it just be wise to go early in the morning to get one? I go to work at 5 am, and get off at 9 am tomorrow...so just swing by before I go into work?

Going at midnight just to wait another few hours for them to change it would be stupid, but couldn't you just ask an associate to see if there has been a price change involving the :3ds: and having them check it, speeding up the process?

Heads up guys and gals,

I went on Walmart.com and it shows the 3DS in four options as of now. Blue and black for regular price and blue and black at the price drop but "online only" with shipping arrival dates starting on 8/15 for the 1 day $20 shipping option.

Have we just been blocked on getting the 20 extra games or will the 3DS at the new lower cost really be available in Walmarts tomorrow?

I hope it'll be available.

[quote name='Moonlk']So, just to clarify with everyone on the smartest tactic for actually purchasing a :3ds: tomorrow...

Would it just be wise to go early in the morning to get one? I go to work at 5 am, and get off at 9 am tomorrow...so just swing by before I go into work?

Going at midnight just to wait another few hours for them to change it would be stupid, but couldn't you just ask an associate to see if there has been a price change involving the :3ds: and having them check it, speeding up the process?[/QUOTE]

is your walmart a 24 hour 1? if so i would say u should b fine if u go at 9, by then they would of changed it. my walmart is open at 6 am and thats when I'm going. walmart has not advertised this, hell HAS ANY1 CONFIRMED THIS?, besides cheapy, but either way u should b fine if u go at 9

I just bought a perfect condition 3ds off craigslist with zelda for $180. thats cheaper than the system alone after tax. :)

oh and I signed up and I am an Ambassador :p , and it has no screen wobble whatsoever. Even have the recepit where they purchased it from walmart on 7/15

[quote name='iamsobroke']I just bought a perfect condition 3ds off craigslist with zelda for $180. thats cheaper than the system alone after tax. :)

oh and I signed up and I am an Ambassador :p , and it has no screen wobble whatsoever. Even have the recepit where they purchased it from walmart on 7/15[/QUOTE]

ok so what if that person already has an account? Can you make another account? I would hate to have a name like "PWN NOOBZ" tied down to the system.

The electronics manager at one of my local Walmart's confirmed that the price drop was happening tomorrow (Tuesday). That was without me even saying when I thought the date was. I played dumb and said that I heard it was happening next week (I picked mine up on Friday to get it early and do the price-adjustment method). Check the previous pages for my post.

Even if the Wal-Mart thing doesn't turn out to be true, you can still get one at Target and price-match it after the 12th. That's what I plan on doing if the Wal-Mart thing doesn't happen.

[quote name='scottman']Maybe you're right about there not being a redesign soon, but everything else in that article says prices will continue to drop or bundles will get better.[/QUOTE]

IMO every time someone says its NOT coming, is when its even closer to coming. I am waiting on the redesign or not buying it at all. I am willing to wait about 2 years but I don't think it will take that long. I think we will see a redesign by Xmas 2012. I am almost certain the redesign will cost $170 or less. As far as the 20 games I probably have every single one on another system already so I definitely don't need them. All of your information is tied to the 3DS so if you get the one that is out now you are basically gonna be stuck with it for life if you want to keep your data like streetpass hits etc. I assume you can't move that information over to another system at least at the present time.

The system still has no 3DS games that I am willing to play nor have they even announced one single game I am willing to buy so I am suspecting it will take a while to get some games that I personally am interested in on the market.

Is there an official web link anywhere that explains if all your purchases are tied to the hardware? I'm guessing it probably is like all the other Nintendo online stuff has been, but maybe Nintendo grew a clue with the poor reception of the 3DS (of course, that would only help them for the next gen unless they could change that with a download).

Doesn't seem to be any consensus in this thread on that point, and that is probably what will make the decision for me.

I'm stopping by right after work today and asking when the price goes into effect because its a 24 hour store. I figured it would be an automatic computer update at 12:01am, but who knows. If they don't know then I'll stop by at 5am on my way to work.

Do y'all know if I go to Walmart on the 9th, take a pic of the lower price tag on my phone, then take that pic to Best Buy, if that is good enough for their price match policy? I ask because of this in their policy:

Best Buy will match the price if you find a lower price on an identical available product at a local retail competitor's store, a local Best Buy Retail Store or BestBuy.com.

Though this line concerns me:

The Guarantee does not apply to: Our competitors' website prices, offers that include financing, bundling of items, free items, pricing errors, mail-in offers,

[quote name='QuarterRoy00']Do y'all know if I go to Walmart on the 9th, take a pic of the lower price tag on my phone, then take that pic to Best Buy, if that is good enough for their price match policy? I ask because of this in their policy:

I called best buy and asked basically the same thing, they said if you don't have an ad they will call the store and ask, though if the item is sold out at the store they called, its at the manager's call whether he can drop the price or not

[quote name='ssjmichael']I'm expecting a super rage fest if/when this rumor doesn't pan out[/QUOTE]
God I can only hope. It would be epic.

[quote name='greenwolfe7']If this shows up online im price matching at best buy I got 135$ in gc's....[/QUOTE]

Why don't you just go and buy it now at Best Buy and get the difference back on or after the 12th? I guess i t might be that you don't have enough money to front until the price changes.

[quote name='zenne96'][quote name='QuarterRoy00']Do y'all know if I go to Walmart on the 9th, take a pic of the lower price tag on my phone, then take that pic to Best Buy, if that is good enough for their price match policy? I ask because of this in their policy:

I called best buy and asked basically the same thing, they said if you don't have an ad they will call the store and ask, though if the item is sold out at the store they called, its at the manager's call whether he can drop the price or not[/QUOTE]

Good to know...thanks!

[quote name='DeathByFRODO']ok so what if that person already has an account? Can you make another account? I would hate to have a name like "PWN NOOBZ" tied down to the system.[/QUOTE]

The person did have an account but I just went to club nintendo signed up for my own account and linked the 3ds to my account, and now its all good! :cool:

[quote name='turls']Is there an official web link anywhere that explains if all your purchases are tied to the hardware? I'm guessing it probably is like all the other Nintendo online stuff has been, but maybe Nintendo grew a clue with the poor reception of the 3DS (of course, that would only help them for the next gen unless they could change that with a download).

Doesn't seem to be any consensus in this thread on that point, and that is probably what will make the decision for me.[/QUOTE]

I am curious about this, too. Any scoop on this, anyone?

[quote name='QuarterRoy00']Do y'all know if I go to Walmart on the 9th, take a pic of the lower price tag on my phone, then take that pic to Best Buy, if that is good enough for their price match policy? I ask because of this in their policy:

Though this line concerns me:[/QUOTE]

Best Buy has always been the most YMMV retailer to me. They arent 100% lockdown/ain't gonna happen like some stores but when you have anything transpire outside of the EXACT word for word STATED guidelines you have, imo, accomplished something.

Just yesterday I had to fight for 30 minutes to get a raincheck filled on an item on sale just last week. The raincheck also was CREATED by a manager. So, in hand I had thier raincheck, last weeks ad, and even a Best Buy internal email the manager copied for me to show the price drop (not properly reflected in ad). Still took 30 minutes and 5 asshats...er associates. And they still act as if Im being done a favor.

And Ive had similar experiences in the past.

I would always use Best Buy in a backup or if it works great or not, oh well scenario. They are almost always a disappointment factory when it comes to customer service.

just confirmed:
gamestop will NOT be honoring any price matching like the other retailers for systems purchased prior to friday.
apparently, word has reached gamestop corporate about what walmart and other retailers are doing and will not doing the same. (a friend is a manager at one of their stores and just relayed this information to me)

So, excuse the noob, but if I go and buy a 3DS at Target today for full price, then go back on the 12th when the price drops, will it be really easy to get my credit card refunded? I've never really done anything like this before.

[quote name='steveliv']Why don't you just go and buy it now at Best Buy and get the difference back on or after the 12th? I guess i t might be that you don't have enough money to front until the price changes.[/QUOTE]

I have it but I don't wanna spend it... :/. Plus I can do it first thing in the morning if the price changes I live within walking distance of a best buy and don't go to work till after it opens...

just called my local walmart and got some guy who didnt even know what today was so i cant take his word as the truth. but he claimed if it's not in the ad it's not going to be on sale

[quote name='Supreme0ne']just called my local walmart and got some guy who didnt even know what today was so i cant take his word as the truth. but he claimed if it's not in the ad it's not going to be on sale[/QUOTE]

Don't think Cheapy would relay information just to piss off everyone on his site. Doesn't make sense. I visited my walmart, asked about price changes and what not. The girl that's worked there for about 20 years told me that price changes are automatic in the system. So I'll be there after midnight.

right i dont think he would either. pretty sure im just dealing with idiots. regardless im stopping before work tomorrow to check it out and gonna hope i can get it for the cheaper price

[quote name='AdamMPSP']So, excuse the noob, but if I go and buy a 3DS at Target today for full price, then go back on the 12th when the price drops, will it be really easy to get my credit card refunded? I've never really done anything like this before.[/QUOTE]

I have done this sort of thing with Target before (with a different item), and I had no problems getting my credit card amount refunded.

[quote name='Moonlk']Don't think Cheapy would relay information just to piss off everyone on his site. Doesn't make sense. I visited my walmart, asked about price changes and what not. The girl that's worked there for about 20 years told me that price changes are automatic in the system. So I'll be there after midnight.[/QUOTE]
So I'm guessing you can buy it at midnight tonight? can anyone confirm that?

[quote name='j.m.ratkos']just confirmed:
gamestop will NOT be honoring any price matching like the other retailers for systems purchased prior to friday.
apparently, word has reached gamestop corporate about what walmart and other retailers are doing and will not doing the same. (a friend is a manager at one of their stores and just relayed this information to me)[/QUOTE]
Just confirmed: GameStop will continue the practices it has for years. More at 11.

lol, gamestop. for once they are staying classy. why start now

very tempted. got some extra cash from my lowball and they do look cool

I've checked with my Wal-Mart connection about this yesterday & she hasn't heard anything about it.

However, knowing Wal-Mart's policy with releases (on Tuesdays)... there may a shred of truth to this in order to reflect the price drop.

UPDATE: So far, you can "Pre-order" the 3DS online at the lower price, but they won't ship the system until Aug. 12th

Last edited by a moderator:
I stopped by at lunch, and the manager told me prices are reduced by her and not automatically by the computer. She claimed to not hear about the drop, but that "its possible". She said her hours are from 7 to 3 and that any drops would happen when she is on her shift. If anyone gets it at midnight please post back. My Walmart had about 10 blues and 12 blacks by the way so running out is unlikely.

bread's done
Back