Nintendo 3DS Price Drop Hits on August 9th at Walmart

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[IMG-R=5838]24198[/IMG-R]According to a trusted source, Walmart will be dropping the price of the Nintendo 3DS on August 9th, 3 days before the official drop takes effect. This means savvy shoppers will be able to get the new low price and the 20 free downloadable games available as a reward to early adopters of the 3DS. Just connect to the Nintendo eShop at least once before 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on Aug. 11 to qualify for the free games.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Dacoops3']Does anyone know what Walmart's price guarantee policy is? Can I just go in on Monday and get one and then get the updated price match later in the week?[/QUOTE]

1. Price adjustment policy = 7 days

2. Return/exchange policy = 15 days

You can us #2 for your same 3DS.

[quote name='AirMcLaren']I bought a 3DS at Walmart yesterday. The manager of the electronics section assured me that if I brought back the box unopened they would do a price adjustment, which he confirmed was happening Tuesday. The catch was that the box has to be unopened, as he claimed that the price drop on the 3DS was a "rollback," meaning, a temporary sale. I tried explaining to him that to my knowledge it was permanent, but he seemed convinced otherwise. Either way, I now have a black 3DS that I'll be keeping in the box go bring in Tuesday to get the price adjustment.[/QUOTE]

Err, I don't know what that guy is smoking, but Rollbacks are permanent price drops.

[quote name='Nintendonly']Err, I don't know what that guy is smoking, but Rollbacks are permanent price drops.[/QUOTE]

Technically... no.

A good majority of the time (especially in the Video Games category), Rollbacks are permanent. However, at the end of the standard Rollback period (90 days), the price may go back up (something you see more often in consumables).

Walmart may have it as a rollback in their system for this SKU, which is a number in a spreadsheet, and not a handheld game console.

There will likely be a new SKU for the price dropped ones, after the official announcement. This may be the only way they can reconcile it with their system, and the fact that Nintendo probably does not let retailers drop prices like that--that would be an anti-competittive pricing strategy and against the big-N's pricing policies.

Fact is, the associate in the store is not privvy to corp decisions, and corp knows they can move a fuck load of 3DS that have been sucking up warehouse and shelf space, so they get place another huge order in prep for Xmas. Walmart moves a fuckload of 3DS, orders more from the distributor, and maintains their market dominance and marketing strategy partnership with Nintendo. This puts more 3DS in the hands of happy Walmart customers, keeps Nintendo fans happy, and makes the customer think Walmart may be the place for Nintendo deals, so they will check out the games section at Walmart next time they are there, and skip the trip to Gamestop. And while your in Walmart checking out the games, you will be buying something else. Walmart's brand perception improves, they sell more merch, the stock goes up, the Execs get a raise, and everyone is happy.

Where do they get these asshat managers anyways? They seem to have IQs of a turtle, no disrespect towards the turtle community though. Seems like most managers need some major relearning. Even if he considers it to be a "rollback", the price won't go back up since it's a price drop. You're still in the clear, and he just earned another douchebag patch.

I paid half gift card half credit card. If Best Buy tries to just give me back my gift card I'll just do a return/rebuy.

[quote name='strait edge follower']Hey guys, any tips on how to set up the 3d slider settings ?[/QUOTE]

Up is 3D, down is 2D. ;)

Seriously, unless you are talking about something other than the slider on the side of the screen, it's that simple. Just adjust it until it is "comfortable" for your viewing pleasure.

I have some grocery shopping to do at Walmart today. I'll swing by electronics and ask about the Tuesday drop as well as scope out the supply in the case. Online it says Aqua Blue is "limited supply" at my local store while black says "in stock".

As far as we know, there will be no SKU change.that makes sense since this was not a price drop that seemed to have been planned far in advance.

there is no software im interested in right now for the 3ds, but since it looks like the dsi xl isnt dropping in price anytime soon, i guess ill pick one of these up if i can get it at walmart prior to the free game shutoff

[quote name='Supreme0ne']there is no software im interested in right now for the 3ds, but since it looks like the dsi xl isnt dropping in price anytime soon, i guess ill pick one of these up if i can get it at walmart prior to the free game shutoff[/QUOTE]

I know what you mean. What you should do is get some ds rpgs like golden sun and chrono trigger (they are cheap right now). I just got a copy of chrono trigger for this reason. I knew that I would need something to play after I get and beat zelda 3ds till the fall season and these ds rpg's will do the trick. Backwards compatiblity ftw !

[quote name='a_dirty_Shisno']Except he confirmed the price drop would happen the 9th (Tuesday). Obviously he purchased it now to ensure he would have one on the 9th. I'm sure he'd be kicking himself if he waited to buy it and then found that his Walmart sold out before he could return.

After he receives the price drop I'm also sure he has every intention to open it before the 12th, update the system, and connect to the eShop to become an Ambassador.[/QUOTE]

This.

I got one early to avoid dealing with them being out of stock on the 9th once the "public" finds out about the price drop and snatches all of them up. The plan is to keep it in the box until Tuesday so there's no excuse for walmart to not, at the very least, honor a return-rebuy, in case they do not honor their price adjustment policy since the manager told me "rollbacks" (which this obviously isn't) are handled differently for price adjustments. I'm waiting to open it until after I get the deal because otherwise the 3DS isn't worth it to me. This was more of an impulse buy anyway lol.

Question about Target's price drop.

I bought a 3DS from Target with the plan to get the price drop guarantee on the 12th, but does anyone know for sure if Target will drop their prices on the 12th? What if they don't drop their prices for another 2 weeks after the initial price drop?

I guess what I'm asking is this: does anyone know if Target will be dropping their prices on the 12th for sure?

Thanks.

[quote name='cephalopoid']Question about Target's price drop.

I bought a 3DS from Target with the plan to get the price drop guarantee on the 12th, but does anyone know for sure if Target will drop their prices on the 12th? What if they don't drop their prices for another 2 weeks after the initial price drop?

I guess what I'm asking is this: does anyone know if Target will be dropping their prices on the 12th for sure?

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

This is my concern too. If they will drop their price, then I can get it for around $155 after my employee discount and the red card discount.

I'm very curious and anxious to see if this drop will happen on the 9th. I will return mine to Best Buy and pick one up at Walmart if true. Saves the hassle of a price adjusment and I have more credit at Walmart anyway ;)

[quote name='cephalopoid']Question about Target's price drop.

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Target WILL drop their prices. If they kept their price at $250 they will lose a whole lot of money, and no corporation would be foolish enough to let that happen.

Aug 9th at Wal-Mart? That's not fair at all to all those who purchased early. Now people can get it cheaper and the 20 free games whilst us who adopted early are Screwed out of any kind of deal.
Yes I'm complaining, and yes I have the right too, no offense to anyone who actually picks one up cheaper and gets the 20 free games, I just think it's not fair at all.
You'd think Nintendo would stop this, or if they get away with it, fine Wal-Mart big time.
eh whatever lol.

[quote name='pandanese90']u think its worth to get the ds before aug 12 if i have a R4 3DS adapter?[/QUOTE]

u think its worth to get banned to ask that question on here?

Just picked one up at target. Asked the clerk if the price drops in the next two weeks can I get a refund. He said yeah the price will drop on the 12th. He plans on getting one on Thursday and get a refund on Fri too. He also told me I have 14 days to bring in the receipt for the price adjustment.

[quote name='JoeyLYCAN']Aug 9th at Wal-Mart? That's not fair at all to all those who purchased early. Now people can get it cheaper and the 20 free games whilst us who adopted early are Screwed out of any kind of deal.
Yes I'm complaining, and yes I have the right too, no offense to anyone who actually picks one up cheaper and gets the 20 free games, I just think it's not fair at all.
You'd think Nintendo would stop this, or if they get away with it, fine Wal-Mart big time.
eh whatever lol.[/QUOTE]

First, it's "You are scammers and are doing something that is immoral!"

Now, it's "Nintendo should sue Walmart."

Please, grow the fuck up. You are what is wrong with the game industry.

[quote name='JoeyLYCAN']Aug 9th at Wal-Mart? That's not fair at all to all those who purchased early. Now people can get it cheaper and the 20 free games whilst us who adopted early are Screwed out of any kind of deal.
eh whatever lol.[/QUOTE]

And I have the right to point and laugh at you

Bahahaha loser

[quote name='donssword']Walmart may have it as a rollback in their system for this SKU, which is a number in a spreadsheet, and not a handheld game console.

There will likely be a new SKU for the price dropped ones, after the official announcement. This may be the only way they can reconcile it with their system, and the fact that Nintendo probably does not let retailers drop prices like that--that would be an anti-competittive pricing strategy and against the big-N's pricing policies.

Fact is, the associate in the store is not privvy to corp decisions, and corp knows they can move a fuck load of 3DS that have been sucking up warehouse and shelf space, so they get place another huge order in prep for Xmas. Walmart moves a fuckload of 3DS, orders more from the distributor, and maintains their market dominance and marketing strategy partnership with Nintendo. This puts more 3DS in the hands of happy Walmart customers, keeps Nintendo fans happy, and makes the customer think Walmart may be the place for Nintendo deals, so they will check out the games section at Walmart next time they are there, and skip the trip to Gamestop. And while your in Walmart checking out the games, you will be buying something else. Walmart's brand perception improves, they sell more merch, the stock goes up, the Execs get a raise, and everyone is happy.[/QUOTE]

Nintendo isn't Apple when it comes to retailers charging prices, and if you have been "gaming longer than me", you'd know that a retailer can charge whatever the hell they want, when they want.

The games are tied to your individual 3ds system and not a user account? that honestly breaks the deal for me.

[quote name='Jorbi']The games are tied to your individual 3ds system and not a user account? that honestly breaks the deal for me.[/QUOTE]

so i've heard.. if thats the case, how do u obtain the "ambassador program"? do u need to open the 3ds and log in ? or is it automatically set to ur 3ds?

I might buy the 3ds before the aug 12 launch date but not open my box until after aug 12. will i still get the 20 free games? or will i need to open it login information? I'm planning on returning it if i find a better deal after aug 12

-----------------------
just not sure if i should wait after august 12, since there might be better deals with the 3ds later :whistle2:#

It looks like I am going into Walmart Tuesday at 12:01 am then.
Do you guys have any suggestions about what do if I have to deal with a manager trying to get the deal that night? The problem is that I can't print off a page off Walmart's website.

[quote name='sixspeednissan']Thanks, I'll be there at 11:30 tomorrow night. I'll casually pick up cat litter, cat food, and my 3ds lol.[/QUOTE]

lol haha! :applause: , do u think there will be a crowd?

All the hype over this almost got me tempted to buy one just for the free 20 games, but then I realized this is really only a good deal for those who would want to buy those at some point anyway. Most people either already have played these games or have them in other forms so it is not as tempting.

If you can get past the 20 free games deal, the price cut is still going to be there (if not lower by Christmas), and I'm sure there will be some bundle or gift card deals if these continue to not sell well. Not to mention a 3ds lite or something. I would rather get it bundled with one real 3ds game than 20 emulations.

[quote name='danddman']It looks like I am going into Walmart Tuesday at 12:01 am then.
Do you guys have any suggestions about what do if I have to deal with a manager trying to get the deal that night? The problem is that I can't print off a page off Walmart's website.[/QUOTE]

usually i tell them, i got em off a forum site and the news is everywhere. most the time they always ponder around for a few minutes and then they call other walmarts and ask to confirm the deal. if not they call their superiors as well. most likely you'll get it. (hopefully since the supervisor there will be in his/her graveyard shift o_O) :bouncy:

[quote name='scottman']All the hype over this almost got me tempted to buy one just for the free 20 games, but then I realized this is really only a good deal for those who would want to buy those at some point anyway. Most people either already have played these games or have them in other forms so it is not as tempting.

If you can get past the 20 free games deal, the price cut is still going to be there (if not lower by Christmas), and I'm sure there will be some bundle or gift card deals if these continue to not sell well. Not to mention a 3ds lite or something. I would rather get it bundled with one real 3ds game than 20 emulations.[/QUOTE]

http://ds.ign.com/articles/118/1186037p1.html
3ds lite prolly not for a long while..they still have loads of colors to release as well.. have fun waiting :lol:

[quote name='pandanese90']lol haha! :applause: , do u think there will be a crowd?[/QUOTE]

I picked up my XL at midnight release at Walmart and there was only one other guy there. Hopefully not many people know of this deal since it wasn't in the ad. Last I checked they had 5 of each color.

[quote name='pandanese90']http://ds.ign.com/articles/118/1186037p1.html
3ds lite prolly not for a long while..they still have loads of colors to release as well.. have fun waiting :lol:[/QUOTE]

Maybe you're right about there not being a redesign soon, but everything else in that article says prices will continue to drop or bundles will get better.

[quote name='jetsetmario']Does anyone know when Wal-Mart price drops go active? Is this a 12:01 am sort of thing?[/QUOTE]

If it's like it was when I use to work there it would be whenever the department manager got around to doing it. So technically a store could take a few days to do the price drop, although that is highly unrealistic. Go in early in the morning or wait until the early afternoon and you should be good.

[quote name='pandanese90']so i've heard.. if thats the case, how do u obtain the "ambassador program"? do u need to open the 3ds and log in ? or is it automatically set to ur 3ds?

I might buy the 3ds before the aug 12 launch date but not open my box until after aug 12. will i still get the 20 free games? or will i need to open it login information? I'm planning on returning it if i find a better deal after aug 12

-----------------------
just not sure if i should wait after august 12, since there might be better deals with the 3ds later :whistle2:#[/QUOTE]

You need hook up your 3DS to a WiFi hotspot and hit the Nintendo eShop at least once before 11:59pm EST on August 11th. If you buy one before then and then leave it in the box past the deadline, you are SOL.

[quote name='Troll']Why would u get a 3ds for 170 when you can get a ds lite for 100?[/QUOTE]

Because it can't play Ocarina of Time?

[quote name='gettinmoney662']Hmmm, the Wal-Mart next to me is 24 hours, I wonder if I should go get it at Midnight or wait til the morning.[/QUOTE]

When I got my PS3 on Black Friday, the 3 stores near me were sold out. But since this seems alot more "underground" it shouldn't attract to much attention. So I'm probably just gonna go Tuesday morning.

my walmart is open 6-midnight, and this is a lot more underground, what time would u guys say is a safe time to pick 1 up, i want to go super early but..ppl got mugged b4 there who were there extra early or super late and has any1 100% confirmed this

[quote name='zenne96']my walmart is open 6-midnight, and this is a lot more underground, what time would u guys say is a safe time to pick 1 up, i want to go super early but..ppl got mugged b4 there who were there extra early or super late and has any1 100% confirmed this[/QUOTE]

im sorry to hear that. you should go the night before and buy pepperspray perhaps :/ im sure itl'll still be there in the afternoon.

[quote name='sixspeednissan']I picked up my XL at midnight release at Walmart and there was only one other guy there. Hopefully not many people know of this deal since it wasn't in the ad. Last I checked they had 5 of each color.[/QUOTE]

cool! what color are u gonna get? im thinking of getting cosmo black! :bouncy:

I have a PS3 that's unopened and I was wondering if anyone knew if I would be able to return it without the receipt?

Really hoping they take it because this would be a great deal, especially if I get the 20 games still.

[quote name='Flame Killa']I have a PS3 that's unopened and I was wondering if anyone knew if I would be able to return it without the receipt?

Really hoping they take it because this would be a great deal, especially if I get the 20 games still.[/QUOTE]

pulled this off a walmart website

"Q: Do you accept RETURNS without a receipt?

A: Walmart, for several years, has accepted returns without a receipt, even though many of our competitors require receipts for all returns. Walmart gives customers the option of a cash refund (if the purchase was under $25), a shopping card for the amount of the purchase (if it was over $25) or an even exchange for the product. Also, as applicable, we follow any manufacturer’s warranties."

gl

bread's done
Back