OFFICIAL 2006 Yard Sale Thread

Hey great finds all! Evilmax and I were in VT for the weekend, but it was rainy and windy anyway all over New England. Glad to see you all were able to find stuff!

[quote name='Gara']Thanks for letting me know. No big lose I guess. Into the box of broken dreams they go until I one day find the rest of the unit. That one lady ever get her no good grandkids to get the games down from the attict? It's time to end the season with one mega score don't you think?[/QUOTE]

Don't pack them away into the box of broken dreams just yet. Hit a local flea today and while looking through a bin of plugs and cables I came across a N64 power supply and AV. So I dug a little deeper and what should catch my eye?????????

DRUM ROLL PLEASE!!!!!!!!

1000939wm8.jpg

The Akklaim Double player NES wireless controller thingy.

Gara if you PM me your address I'll send it to you free of charge. The thought of those controllers sitting in a box of broken dreams for years to come when some one could experience the pain of how shitty they are now is just too much for me to bear. ( J/K their really not that bad )

I recently acquired a PS1 and about 30 games for $100 at a yard sale.

A lot, you say? Not so fast. One of those games was Final Fantasy VII, which I sold on eBay for $75. The PS1 also has a modchip in it.

So I acquired a modded PS1, 29 games, and lots of accessories for $25. If I ever want to make that $25 back, there's a few more RPGs in there like Legend of Dragoon, some of which are worth $10-20 each.

Yeah, there were a ton of burnt games too, but I haven't really bothered looking through them. They don't particularly matter. I think Legend of Mana, FF8 and some others were in the CD-R pile.

None of the 30 legit games were Greatest Hits either.

[quote name='snotknocker']Gara if you PM me your address I'll send it to you free of charge. The thought of those controllers sitting in a box of broken dreams for years to come when some one could experience the pain of how shitty they are now is just too much for me to bear. ( J/K their really not that bad )[/quote]

Wow! I can't believe you actually ran into one. PM sent! Looks like I better clean these things up after all. Many thanks, snot. Now one of us just needs to run into some guy trying to unload about 20 nes power adapters and cables and all will be right with the world.

Friday and Saturday sucked. I went to 40 sales, and I ended up buying stuff at 4 sales.

My first purchase was a bin full of old, classic books for $5. I think I overspent, but then again, I got about 30 books from the 1960s, so I think I can keep myself busy for a while.

I went to one neighborhood yardsale, which had about 22 sales. I only found two things. The first was a copy of the original PC version of Tetris by Spectrum Holobyte. I paid 25 cents. I already had a copy, but I didn't think it would hurt to have another. At another sale in the same neighborhood, I found the board game Battle of the Sexes and I paid 50 cents for it.

At the last sale I went to I noticed an Atari 2600 with some games selling for $20. I passed, but then I noticed a Genesis with a few games as well as a bare SNES with no controllers or hookups. I asked the seller how much it was, and he said $20. I tried to haggle him down to a good price but I could not get one. So I took his boxed copy of Sonic & Knuckles and offered him 50 cents for it. He said a dollar, which he was firm on. I caved in, and I bought the game for a dollar. Now I finally have a compete copy of Sonic & Knuckles.

Today was a good day however. A person I had given my phone number to a while ago called me, and told me that he had some games for sale. I went over to his house, and to my suprise this person's garage was chock full of good stuff! He had lots of N64, Dreamcast, Gamecube and Gameboy games for sale, as well as a lot of T-shirts and books pertaining to video games.

The person selling this stuff was, however, a high school student raising money for college. As a result, some of the things he had for sale were good deals, others not so much. I picked up whatever I wanted that was a good deal, until the person told me that he couldn't accept checks. I only had $14 on me at the time, so I had to pick and choose wisely. And this is what I got.

A Mario's Cement Factory Tabletop Game
A "Best of Super Mario Bros." Comic Book Compilation
A Nintendo Super Adventure Book with Mario (Not sure which one)
Two NES games: Little Nemo and Marble Madness
A Superjoy Multigame controller
A Super Nintendo display sign with Mario and Yoshi on it

I spent $10 for the lot. A little high for my tastes, but I really wanted that Mario's Cement Factory game. Plus, I wanted to help that guy.

I also agreed to meet with this person tomorrow when I will have more money. There is some stuff I left behind that I still want.

An interesting thing to note is that The Superjoy, which is a pirate game system with 10 games on it, features a Famicom game port. I tried some of my Famicom titles, on it, and they worked! This was definately money well spent.

I will post pictures as soon as I can.

Stuff from last Sunday to today:

findslol-1.jpg

Top to bottom, left to right:

Gamecube 3rd party controller, Pharaoh, Sonic 3D Blast (PC) and You Don't Know Jack - $1

Mario Party, Mario Golf, WCW vs NWO, Super Smash Bros Melee, Madden 2002 (GC), SSX Tricky (GC), Gamecube Gameboy Player w/disc, Metroid Prime, Dave Mirra Pro BMX 2, Freekstyle, Zelda 4 Swords, GC Microphone, Mario Kart DD Bonus Disc, Animal Crossing, Super Mario Sunshine and Super Mario Strikers - $10

Nintendo World Cup, Gauntlet and Strider - $5

Game Gear with AC, Sonic, Castle of Illusion with Mickey Mouse, Columns, Vampire Master of Darkness and GG Cleaning Kit - $10

Went to Goodwill this weekend for their end-of-month 50% off sale, but I only found one thing worth buying:
A sealed jewel case of "The Curse of Monkey Island" for the PC.

After a long hiatus (3 months) I decided to check what the local thrift stores had. Goodwill had 2 N64's console with AC adaptors for 24.99 each, along with a sega genesis for 19.99 :roll:. Must be the pre-xmas markup. Also spotted a sega saturn controller for 3.99 at Value Village, hope I didn't miss out on a console there, might have to check it out again later this week to see if they'll put it out.

[quote name='T-Shirt Ninja']After a long hiatus (3 months) I decided to check what the local thrift stores had. Goodwill had 2 N64's console with AC adaptors for 24.99 each, along with a sega genesis for 19.99 :roll:. Must be the pre-xmas markup. Also spotted a sega saturn controller for 3.99 at Value Village, hope I didn't miss out on a console there, might have to check it out again later this week to see if they'll put it out.[/QUOTE]

If it's a 1st party saturn controller I would buy it.

Nice score on freecycle, kuros. You have motivated me to actually start monitoring my local one. Seems I am getting more luck on these local listing places then my actual yardsaling.

Found a strange one tonight on craigslist
compusastuff.jpg

I went out there and it really was all new in box. He even had a 450w power supply new in box not mentioned in the ad. Ended up paying 95.00 for the lot and returned it all to compusa for 240.00 store credit. Money to fuel the DS habit! Still makes me wonder why he didn't just return it all and just sell the gift card.

[quote name='Gara']Nice score on freecycle, kuros. You have motivated me to actually start monitoring my local one. Seems I am getting more luck on these local listing places then my actual yardsaling.

Found a strange one tonight on craigslist
compusastuff.jpg

I went out there and it really was all new in box. He even had a 450w power supply new in box not mentioned in the ad. Ended up paying 95.00 for the lot and returned it all to compusa for 240.00 store credit. Money to fuel the DS habit! Still makes me wonder why he didn't just return it all and just sell the gift card.[/QUOTE]

How did you return them?

[quote name='Kuros']How did you return them?[/quote]

Most of them were compusa brand items. Guy just scanned them in and gave me a gift card. They won't give you cash without a receipt but most are decent enough to let you pick something else out.

[quote name='Gara']Most of them were compusa brand items. Guy just scanned them in and gave me a gift card. They won't give you cash without a receipt but most are decent enough to let you pick something else out.[/QUOTE]

Haha, nice. :)

flea market find yesterday
Deus Ex GOY - PC I started playing this last night and its a pretty damn good game
Kingpin Life of Crime - PC
Tomb Raider Last Revelation - Dreamcast (not pictured)

Games were all marked $1, were originally marked $3. CIF $2

1000941ps5.jpg

[quote name='Gara']Most of them were compusa brand items. Guy just scanned them in and gave me a gift card. They won't give you cash without a receipt but most are decent enough to let you pick something else out.[/quote]

Wow. CompUSA is cool for once.

Didn't find much today. There's only a handful of sales. The only thing I found was at an unadvertised one. I asked about games, but she only had a few crappy pc games. I noticed she was trying to pick up a disc off of the garage floor. I picked up for her. She said that it had been there since yesterday. It was the Exorism of Emily Rose. She gave it to me since it was in bad shape. There's a scratch on the bottom and on the top I looks like someone fapped a little bit of this brownish liquid stuff on it, which hardened. I'm very glad that a bottle of that hand cleaning stuff in my car.

Darn! Looks like today is a bust. It is supposed to rain so there is only about 4 listings in the paper. Guess I get to sleep in

1000952ln4.jpg

Shining force 1
Shining force 2
Ghenkis Kahn 2
Home Alone
NBA Jam
[highlight]TOTAL: $1[/highlight]

Went to five sales and this was all I found. Asked for games at this sale and the guy pointed to a table towards the rear. I spot the SF's and the GK2 and instantly get happy. The SF's are on my want list for a while as well as on my must play before I die list. My initial reaction is to offer $5 CIF and not pay more then $10 for the 3. But after feeling the guy out for a minute I know he has no clue so I ask for a price. He comes back with .25 each. I whip a dollar out and try not too appear to ecstatic when the guy says take the other 2 games and we'll call it an even $1 :shock:

[quote name='snotknocker']
Went to five sales and this was all I found. Asked for games at this sale and the guy pointed to a table towards the rear. I spot the SF's and the GK2 and instantly get happy. The SF's are on my want list for a while as well as on my must play before I die list. My initial reaction is to offer $5 CIF and not pay more then $10 for the 3. But after feeling the guy out for a minute I know he has no clue so I ask for a price. He comes back with .25 each. I whip a dollar out and try not too appear to ecstatic when the guy says take the other 2 games and we'll call it an even $1 :shock:[/quote]

deal of THE DAY. good job, snot! Shining Force II is in my Top Five favorite RPGs of all time!! right up there with Y's I & II and Lunar.

today's stuff:

PS Final Fantasy VII (discs in good condition, no manual), $4
PS2 La Pucelle Tactics (disc only), $2
DS Super Monkey Ball Touch & Roll (complete), $9
PS2 Dual Shock 2 controller (missing left analog stick), $1

today's total: $16

lately, i keep finding all sorts of cool or collectible games that seem to be missing stuff. what the heck is wrong with people? is it so difficult to hang onto a case and manual? ridiculous. anyway, this was all i found today. i got the FFVII to trade or sell, and have no interest in playing it (tried it once, didn't care for it). same with La Pucelle Tactics. the lady selling it actually wanted 5 bucks for the bare disc! i told her it wasn't worth anything without them and i'd give her 2. she agreed. the Super Monkey Ball game was more than i wanted to pay, but i got it for 2 reasons: it helped my friend get the game he wanted for cheaper, and the 9 bucks was still less than it costs in a lot of stores, and isn't too bad a price, overall. i bought the Dual Shock 2 to repair a flaky blue DS2, so the missing analog stick doesn't bother me in the slightest. i just want the Sony-guts.

there were A TON of yard sales in town; more in fact, than i've seen in the middle of summer. most were complete and utter duds. i suppose i'll probably try again tomorrow and see if i can't improve the weekend's overall haul. good luck to everyone else!

[quote name='Kuros']I was in your area today Allyourblood, I went to Kobey's Swap because I was in the area. :D[/quote]

hey, cool. did you get anything good? we went there last weekend, but it was a total bust. we didn't find a single thing. the Chick-Fil-A was giving out free chicken sandwiches though, so that made up for it a little.

[quote name='allyourblood']hey, cool. did you get anything good? we went there last weekend, but it was a total bust. we didn't find a single thing. the Chick-Fil-A was giving out free chicken sandwiches though, so that made up for it a little.[/QUOTE]

3 SMS games all complete for $6
3 PC games cd and jewel case only for $3
3 SNES games cart only for $8

I'll have a pic up later of everything I got today.

We originally intended to go out this morning, but there were only like 5 listed sales, so we just slept in. We still ended up hitting 3 sales while driving around for other reasons, but we didn't get anything.

We're probably nearing the end of our season up here, unfortunately.

Good finds all!

I created a thread in the old school form but did'nt get any response - thought maybe someone here could get me an answer. I'm sure some of you yardsale regulars have more than 1 N64

Can someone help with this.

I just sold a copy of Crusin USA because I have 2. When I tested it, it played fine. The N64 system I tested it on DID NOT have a memory expansion pak in it. So now I'm itching to play it and bust it out in my basement game room on a second N64 WITH a memory expansion pak and the game stops at the title screen. So I check the other copy of the game and it does the same thing. Both games do not work with the expansion pak. Weird. Can someone confirm this or is it known to others and not me that there are certain games that do not load on decks with the expansion pak. Or maybe i just got 2 games that are partially ed

[quote name='snotknocker']Can someone confirm this or is it known to others and not me that there are certain games that do not load on decks with the expansion pak. Or maybe i just got 2 games that are partially ed[/quote]

i don't recall if i own Cruisin' USA, but i'll poke around and check. i know i have Cruisin' World, but i guess that doesn't really help us, does it? i'll update later.

[quote name='snotknocker']
1000952ln4.jpg

Shining force 1
Shining force 2
Ghenkis Kahn 2
Home Alone
NBA Jam
[highlight]TOTAL: $1[/highlight]

Went to five sales and this was all I found. Asked for games at this sale and the guy pointed to a table towards the rear. I spot the SF's and the GK2 and instantly get happy. The SF's are on my want list for a while as well as on my must play before I die list. My initial reaction is to offer $5 CIF and not pay more then $10 for the 3. But after feeling the guy out for a minute I know he has no clue so I ask for a price. He comes back with .25 each. I whip a dollar out and try not too appear to ecstatic when the guy says take the other 2 games and we'll call it an even $1 :shock:[/QUOTE]

Wait a second, you saw the holy grail of Genesis games and only offer a dollar?

IF YOU EVEN, -have- a soul, go back and give him $20 because Shining Force on Genesis is worth so much more, not just in financial value, but as games themselves...

I'm pretty sure after playing both you'll feel like at least sending a thank you card...

findsrofl.jpg

Starcraft and Quake 1 - $1
DDR Extreme - $5
Tony Hawk and Dr. Mario - $1
DS Rumble Pack and Darkwatch - $Free (One was from work, the other was a guy who wanted to trade in multiples of this game. We can't do that, so he just gave it to me.)
Super Punch Out, Donkey Kong Country, Battletoads & Double Dragon - $8
Wizardry Gold, Stonekeep, AD&D Wake of the Ravager - $3
Gangster Town, Thunder Blade, Parlour Games - $6

Wait a second, you saw the holy grail of Genesis games and only offer a dollar?
[highlight]I have always heard good things about these games but never knew they fell in the holy grail category. The guy was only asking .25 for each game.[/highlight]

IF YOU EVEN, -have- a soul, go back and give him $20 because Shining Force on Genesis is worth so much more, not just in financial value, but as games themselves...
[highlight]This will never happen. He's a total stranger[/highlight]

I'm pretty sure after playing both you'll feel like at least sending a thank you card...
[highlight]This will never happen. He's a total stranger. If I even remotely knew him he would get many thanks[/highlight]

i don't know about "Holy Grail"... there's certainly MUCH harder to find Genesis titles out there. i see Shining Force (the first one) all the time. well, okay, realistically, once every other month. now part two, that's a little more rare, espcecially since the cardboard box is often completely smanked, or missing altogether (the black and white manual kinda sucks, too). but even that isn't that rare -- it's just a really good old school RPG. one of my faves.

It's probably best the seller remains in ignorance. Actually being creepy enough to send a thank you note would probably come off more like rubbing it in his face.

Great score though. I am hoping to get at least one decent score in this season. People get so easily spooked by the weather!

I knew today would be a good day; in the morning I finally beat Normal difficulty "Ready Steady Go" in Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! Later, I went to a local used and import store and found Shenmue II (PAL version) for the Dreamcast. The cardboard outer box was pretty beat up, but everything was there. The price? $30.

I bought it, fired up the ol' CD-R-friendly Dreamcast, used a Utopia boot disc I've had lying around for a while, and started the game. And when I'm done with it, I shall have even more of a reason to be depressed over the fact that Shenmue III won't be released anytime soon!

This is my 1st post here, mostly cuz it's my 1st time going to Yardasales for games. I found:

FF8 (complete)
Mario All Stars (cart only)
SSB (cart only)

wanted 20 for all, but offered 17 & he took it. I knew it was kinda high, but I never really played FF b4 & wanted to try it.

findsrofl001.jpg

Some really sweet PC stuff today.

Ultima Collection with Guide, Chocobo's Dungeon 2, Wizardry 1, Fallout, Titan Quest Demo and Revenant - $10
Hudson Soft SNES Multitap - $2
Super Metroid - $5 (A bit much IMO, but it's Super Metroid)
Shadow Blaster, Ghouls and Ghosts, Super Thunder Blade, Thunderstrike, Third World War and Mansion of Hidden Souls - $5

[quote name='Kuros']
findsrofl001.jpg

Some really sweet PC stuff today.

Ultima Collection with Guide, Chocobo's Dungeon 2, Wizardry 1, Fallout, Titan Quest Demo and Revenant - $10
Hudson Soft SNES Multitap - $2
Super Metroid - $5 (A bit much IMO, but it's Super Metroid)
Shadow Blaster, Ghouls and Ghosts, Super Thunder Blade, Thunderstrike, Third World War and Mansion of Hidden Souls - $5[/quote]

Is that a Bomberman multitap? Sweet.

yeah, dig that Bomberman multitap. the only two i've ever run across were way too expensive. i mean, not that i need an SNES multitap (i already have a couple), but that BM one is COOL.

[quote name='Rictor']I think the Bomberman multi-tap was a Japanese import...they pop up on Ebay...maybe 1 or 2 a week.[/QUOTE]

Not the SNES one. Maybe the Saturn one. Both are pretty awesome.

[quote name='Zon27']Not the SNES one. Maybe the Saturn one. Both are pretty awesome.[/QUOTE]

Took a look myself, it is an import and I haven't seen it on Ebay at all.

[quote name='snotknocker']Can someone confirm this or is it known to others and not me that there are certain games that do not load on decks with the expansion pak. Or maybe i just got 2 games that are partially ed[/quote]

I just checked my copy of the game on a deck with the expansion pack and it worked just fine. Seems weird that having more memory would break things, but maybe you just have bad carts.

Went to three sales today. The only thing I picked up was the original Star Wars Ep4 soundtrack on a record for $0.50. I don't usually pick up records, but I'm a star wars fan.

[quote name='Yaxley']I just checked my copy of the game on a deck with the expansion pack and it worked just fine. Seems weird that having more memory would break things, but maybe you just have bad carts.[/QUOTE

]Turns out it was a faulty memory card that I had in the second controller hooked up on the deck with the exp. pak. When I removed it the games worked fine - thanks guys

bread's done
Back